Quarantine for 14 days

20,120 Views | 152 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by eric76
Rachel 98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agsalaska said:

KidDoc said:

eric76 said:

Now that I'm over it, the local grocery store says it will be two weeks before I can enter.

Just to make it clear, I have no problem with it. Their business, their rules.
That makes no sense from a science perspective. You need a leper bell.
Lol. I had to quote this.

I have this vision of what eric76 looks like. In fact I have this weird idea of what most of yall look like(KidDoc is Doogie Howser). I can imagine my image of eric76 with a leper bell on. Awesome.
Haha I have a mental image of what many of the posters look like also! I wish more people would put their picture on their profile so I could see if I'm right!
eric76
AG
KidDoc said:

eric76 said:

Now that I'm over it, the local grocery store says it will be two weeks before I can enter.

The local grocery store is the most cautious of any store in town. They started requiring masks to enter the store -- both employees and customers -- early on, and still require it.

I think that their logic is that if you have had it, then you have been exposed to someone with it, yourself, and need to be quarantined for 14 days afterwards.

In the meantime, I can call them and tell them what I want and they will do my shopping for me and bring it to the door.

One woman I know is very upset that I am not required to test negative for covid-19 before going out. I tried to explain that I would probably test positive for a little while, but that kind of backfired. She firmly believes that if I test positive, I must be contagious. I tried to explain about shedding fragments of the viral rna, but she didn't understand the difference.
KidDoc
AG
eric76 said:

KidDoc said:

eric76 said:

The local grocery store is the most cautious of any store in town. They started requiring masks to enter the store -- both employees and customers -- early on, and still require it.

I think that their logic is that if you have had it, then you have been exposed to someone with it, yourself, and need to be quarantined for 14 days afterwards.

In the meantime, I can call them and tell them what I want and they will do my shopping for me and bring it to the door.

One woman I know is very upset that I am not required to test negative for covid-19 before going out. I tried to explain that I would probably test positive for a little while, but that kind of backfired. She firmly believes that if I test positive, I must be contagious. I tried to explain about shedding fragments of the viral rna, but she didn't understand the difference.
But you are exposed to yourself every day so every day you quarantine is extended 14 days! When you developed symptoms you were likely exposed 5-10 days prior to that so your 14 day post exposure quarantine is long gone.

Of course I am arguing based on logic and science not fear.

And yes people do not understand + testing but not contagious. This is what lead to the fears of the virus being contagious on surface for days that has recently shown to be less likely. This lingering viral RNA problem is not new it is well established with other respiratory pathogens.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ToddyHill
AG
I'm in a similar situation.

I was released by the local Health Department on May 14, and was deemed to have recovered from Covid. The next day, I got my haircut. When the stylist asked me why I wasn't at work I told her I was home and catching up on errands since I'd just been released by the Health Department after testing positive for Covid. She freaked out. Needless to say, the haircut finished up pretty quickly and I was on my way.

I've decided I'm not going to tell the truth as to why I'm not at work now. It's just easier to say I'm on vacation.
eric76
AG
I didn't realize that I would get an official letter announcing that I am released from isolation.

Apparently, I am now un-banned from using public transportation. I didn't even realize that I was banned.
74Ag1
AG
eric76 said:

I didn't realize that I would get an official letter announcing that I am released from isolation.

Apparently, I am now un-banned from using public transportation. I didn't even realize that I was banned.

You should request a
"Not Contagious" badge
eric76
AG
74Ag1 said:

eric76 said:

You should request a
"Not Contagious" badge
I thought about a t-shirt that says "I survived covid-19".

However, my assistant scoutmaster and his wife from back when I was a boy scout both died from it, so I don't think that I'd be happy wearing it.
eric76
AG
I had some bad news last night. My oldest brother is in a nursing home in Oklahoma and is expected to live maybe 7 to 10 more days.

The nursing home does allow visits from family to those who are dying, but there are a number of standard rules in place on it including you can't have been exposed to anyone with covid-19 in the previous 14 days (i.e., if you should be in quarantine). I'm going to have to call the nursing home today and ask about those who had covid-19 during the previous 14 days.

His wife is in the assisted living section of the nursing home. I wonder if she'll be able to go to the funeral at all. Her memory of new information is very short term so I don't know if she will even remember it.

For what it's worth, my oldest brother is so out of that he wasn't really aware of me whenever I visited him earlier this year. I think he only recognized me once. A few years ago he had encephalitis as a result of West Nile Virus and spent a couple of months in a coma. That really screwed him up bad.
twk
AG
eric76 said:

I had some bad news last night. My oldest brother is in a nursing home in Oklahoma and is expected to live maybe 7 to 10 more days.

The nursing home does allow visits from family to those who are dying, but there are a number of standard rules in place on it including you can't have been exposed to anyone with covid-19 in the previous 14 days (i.e., if you should be in quarantine). I'm going to have to call the nursing home today and ask about those who had covid-19 during the previous 14 days.

His wife is in the assisted living section of the nursing home. I wonder if she'll be able to go to the funeral at all. Her memory of new information is very short term so I don't know if she will even remember it.

For what it's worth, my oldest brother is so out of that he wasn't really aware of me whenever I visited him earlier this year. I think he only recognized me once. A few years ago he had encephalitis as a result of West Nile Virus and spent a couple of months in a coma. That really screwed him up bad.
Sorry to hear that. I think this virus, and what we're having to do to keep it spreading in assisted living facilities, is going to make people think twice before choosing that option. Up to now, I know a lot of folks found the newer, fancier assisted living facilities to be places that decreased their isolation and improved their social lives. Tragically, they are now becoming the ultimate in isolation.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
So sorry about your brother. My daughter in law had three deaths in her family during the interval that funerals were not even allowed. None due to covid, but it makes the closure more difficult when everything is virual.

I live in an over 55 active adult apartment community. While they stopped all group activities, and that is one reason I wanted to live here, we have only been asked to register visitors with a strong suggestion we don't have visitors. Even so I miss the wonderful interchanges with my new friends. I can only imagine the sheer lonely depression of those in the assisted living places that have had to go into solitary confinment for months now. I wonder even about the hybrid places. My uncle for years has living in a community that is fully active adult in one area, with another for assisted, and a third for skilled nursing. The assisted living people could still partake in the same events as the active adult ones. I don't know about how that is being handled.

I think more families will explore keeping family in the home longer if this becomes the pattern for outbreaks. For the cost of the facility, IF you can find workers, CNA's could be hired to come into the home and give family care givers a break.

Good news is that our pool reopens this weekend. Limit ten at a time. But it is open. Baby steps. Can't wait till happy hour returns.
KidDoc
AG
eric76 said:

Wow west nile enchephalitis- super rare that is some bad luck. Sorry to hear that is he having a hard time.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
eric76
AG
KidDoc said:

eric76 said:

Wow west nile enchephalitis- super rare that is some bad luck. Sorry to hear that is he having a hard time.
Thanks.

On the farm, my niece's horse died from West Nile Virus when it first hit the area. Also, some horses across the south fence from the farm also died from West Nile Virus about that time.

I also know someone in town who had West Nile Virus, but nothing approaching encephalitis -- it took him a year to recover. A couple other people from the area have told me that they had it as well, but I don't remember who that was.

It seems that we get everything around here. One year, there was a case or two of hantavirus a few miles to the north in Oklahoma, a case of tularemia to the east in Canadian, and bubonic plague to the south in a prairie dog town near Lake Meredith.

Regarding the bubonic plague in that prairie dog town, it turned out that they were catching prairie dogs and relocating them to Colorado, thus exporting the plague to Colorado at the same time.

About that same time, one of the area vets stuck his arm down the throat to retrieve the barbed wire that he thought the cow had swallowed. He said that as he he was reaching into the throat, he suddenly realized that the cow probably had rabies. It did and he had to get yet another round of rabies vaccinations.

We've also had diptheria on the farm, but in only one steer. My oldest brother and I spent a couple of weeks or so giving the steer some kind of medicine intravenously in its neck twice daily. Neither of us were very good at finding the veins and hitting them with the needle.
JYDog90
AG
Man, I'm sorry. It sounds like you need to move!
Formerly Willy Wonka
eric76
AG
Willy Wonka said:

Man, I'm sorry. It sounds like you need to move!
What I need to do is to figure out a way to drain the ponds so the mosquitoes don't have a place to lay eggs.

A permanent colony of Bti would be better.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.