Quarantine for 14 days

20,212 Views | 152 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by eric76
eric76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Capitol Ag said:

SunrayAg said:

Hey, we don't want you at our Dairy Queen on 13 and a half days... be sure to wait the full 14...

This, I wouldn't overthink it. Covid can't tell it's 6pm on day 14. Go at 4 and the virus, if it's in you and it's probably not, it won't check it's watch and prepare to attack the poor diners of DQ
I don't think that the dining room at the DQ is open yet.

When I went to get tested yesterday, I passed the DQ arriving and leaving. They had quite a line of vehicles waiting to pick up orders both times.

In any event, if I had gone, it would have been drive-through anyway.
Capitol Ag
AG
eric76 said:

Capitol Ag said:

SunrayAg said:

Hey, we don't want you at our Dairy Queen on 13 and a half days... be sure to wait the full 14...

This, I wouldn't overthink it. Covid can't tell it's 6pm on day 14. Go at 4 and the virus, if it's in you and it's probably not, it won't check it's watch and prepare to attack the poor diners of DQ
I don't think that the dining room at the DQ is open yet.

When I went to get tested yesterday, I passed the DQ arriving and leaving. They had quite a line of vehicles waiting to pick up orders both times.

In any event, if I had gone, it would have been drive-through anyway.
Yup, did the McDonalds for the kids and the wife finally just went in, got it and left. line barely moved the whole time. I won't cheat for Mickey D's, but for a DQ Burger and Blizzard, ummm ummm
eric76
AG
The test results are back and I have it.
cone
AG
you feeling okay?
eric76
AG
cone said:

you feeling okay?
I feel fine. The only symptoms I've had was my sense of smell acting up on Wednesday evening. That's what prompted me to get the test Thursday morning.

Time to go back out to the farm and watch for the bobcat (I saw one the other day out there).
JYDog90
AG
eric76 said:

aginlakeway said:

eric76 said:

I was exposed to someone who has since been confirmed to have covid-19. At the time, they appeared fine.

On a telemedicine call on Saturday, I was told to quarantine for 14 days. I asked if that was 14 days from Saturday or 14 days from the exposure and they said it was from the exposure.

So I've been quarantined since then. The only reason I have gone outdoors is to throw something into the dumpster.

The exposure was two weeks ago tomorrow (Thursday).

This may be a nitpicky, but does the 14 days start with the day of the exposure or the day after? In other words, does my quarantine end tonight or does it end tomorrow night?

Since the exposure was about 6 pm in the evening, I'm thinking about stopping the quarantine at 6 pm tomorrow.

Does that sound about right? Or should I wait until Friday?

FWIW, I'm looking forward to going to the nearest Dairy Queen and getting a hamburger and fries to go. I also want to find some of the Quercetin and CoQ10 but will probably wait until Friday for that.

Do they deliver?
It is a 30 mile round trip to the nearest Dairy Queen. If they do delivery, it is probably only in their own town.

How remote in Texas are you if you're 30 miles from a Dairy Queen?
Formerly Willy Wonka
cone
AG
just see if you can get access to a pulse oximeter

that seems to be the thing to watch
Duncan Idaho
eric76 said:

The test results are back and I have it.

Sorry to hear that. I wish you a speedy and complete recovery
JYDog90
AG
Absolutely. Pray that you get better quickly.
Formerly Willy Wonka
eric76
AG
cone said:

just see if you can get access to a pulse oximeter

that seems to be the thing to watch
I just got one ordered. it took a while to find someone that still has them in stock. I guess there's a bit of a run on them now.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
If you have an android phone there is a built in on on it.
Counterpoint
AG
So now that we know you have it, how long was it from exposure until your first symptom? And how close of proximity did it take from the people who exposed you to it?

Get well soon!
BourbonAg
AG
It depends on the phone.
eric76
AG
3rd Generation Ag said:

If you have an android phone there is a built in on on it.
Mine is pretty old, but it is an android.
eric76
AG
Counterpoint said:

So now that we know you have it, how long was it from exposure until your first symptom? And how close of proximity did it take from the people who exposed you to it?

Get well soon!
Assuming that I got it from who I think I got it from, it was on the evening of the 13th day. The only symptom I have had was a weird disruption in my sense of smell that lasted about six hours. Other than that, I've felt fine.
lunchbox
eric76 said:

Counterpoint said:

Get well soon!
Assuming that I got it from who I think I got it from, it was on the evening of the 13th day. The only symptom I have had was a weird disruption in my sense of smell that lasted about six hours. Other than that, I've felt fine.
Just curious what your doctor told you in terms of this current isolation period. Since you were almost at the end of the first 14 days and have yet to run a fever, are you supposed to go another 14 days? Wait until you have a negative test?
JYDog90
AG
Wow. That's alarming.
Formerly Willy Wonka
eric76
AG
lunchbox said:

eric76 said:

Counterpoint said:

Get well soon!
Just curious what your doctor told you in terms of this current isolation period. Since you were almost at the end of the first 14 days and have yet to run a fever, are you supposed to go another 14 days? Wait until you have a negative test?
I'm in isolation until I have a negative test.

I haven't even talked to the doctor yet. The doctor is in Dumas. I went over to the local hospital to have the test done.
terradactylexpress
T&Ps for you having to go to Dumas
eric76
AG
terradactylexpress said:

T&Ps for you having to go to Dumas
Usually, I enjoy going to Dumas. But not during this outbreak.
terradactylexpress
I assume you being a semi local have some sort of special marking or tag where the police don't harass you
KlinkerAg11
AG
Is your taste back?
eric76
AG
KlinkerAg11 said:

Is your taste back?
The taste buds on the tongue never seemed to be affected.

The smell was all over the place. I never did get to the point that I couldn't smell, at least not any worse than normal. Instead, the smells didn't make sense and kept changing. But that seemed to start in the late afternoon or so and ended that night or early the next morning.

When I got to the hospital for the test on Thursday morning, I felt like I was wasting their time and my time because everything was back to normal and I thought that the problems with smell could have been related to my sinuses.

Perhaps the Vitamin D is helping a lot. I've been taking 5,000 IU per day for several years.

If I hadn't gotten the test and it came back positive, I would think that I hadn't been infected.
eric76
AG
I ordered some Quercetin this morning from http://swansonvitamins.com. Their site said that it would be shipped in about two days but I asked them politely in a chat if they could possibly ship it today and they did.

That's good customer service.

I should have it tomorrow by about noon.
JYDog90
AG
Hey, Eric. Just checking in. How you doing today?
Formerly Willy Wonka
kapon
AG
eric76 said:

lunchbox said:

eric76 said:

Counterpoint said:

Get well soon!

I haven't even talked to the doctor yet. The doctor is in Dumas. I went over to the local hospital to have the test done.
When do you plan on taking another test?
eric76
AG
Willy Wonka said:

Hey, Eric. Just checking in. How you doing today?
I'm doing fine so far. Thanks.
eric76
AG
kapon said:

eric76 said:

lunchbox said:

eric76 said:

Counterpoint said:

Get well soon!

When do you plan on taking another test?
They haven't told me when to do it, yet. I assume that it would be toward the end of next week.
eric76
AG
Great news.

I just got off the phone with someone from the Texas State Health Department (or whatever it is called).

He said that I won't have to have a negative virus test to be released from quarantine. They just look at cessation of symptoms as a sign of being over the covid-19. If you are pretty much asymptomatic like me, I don't know how they count that. I figure probably at least two weeks anyway from the date of the test, but that's just a guess.

I told him that when released, I'll probably maintain at least some isolation anyway for a little while just in case.
lunchbox
eric76 said:

Great news.

I just got off the phone with someone from the Texas State Health Department (or whatever it is called).

He said that I won't have to have a negative virus test to be released from quarantine. They just look at cessation of symptoms as a sign of being over the covid-19. If you are pretty much asymptomatic like me, I don't know how they count that. I figure probably at least two weeks anyway from the date of the test, but that's just a guess.

I told him that when released, I'll probably maintain at least some isolation anyway for a little while just in case.
Are they going to call you again to check up on you and eventually give you the clearance or are you on your own recognizance at this point?
lunchbox
And you are right...that is great news!
KidDoc
AG
eric76 said:

Great news.

Current guidelines are 72 hours "asymptomatic".

But like you said, in your specific case, it is hard to say.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
eric76
AG
lunchbox said:

eric76 said:

Great news.

Are they going to call you again to check up on you and eventually give you the clearance or are you on your own recognizance at this point?
They said that a case worker would get in touch and it will be their decision.

My big worry was over continuing to test postive while shedding dead viruses and fragments of the virus keeping me isolated for an extra few weeks.
eric76
AG
KidDoc said:

eric76 said:

Great news.

Current guidelines are 72 hours "asymptomatic".

But like you said, in your specific case, it is hard to say.
I'll ask the case worker when they call and report back.

I did ask the guy from the Texas Department of Health (or whatever it is called) a question he couldn't answer. My question was that with all the people around who think this is some kind of left wing political plot, do they get combative and uncooperative and start going on about their rights when questioned about things like who they have been in contact with?
JimInBCS
Eric, glad to hear you had very mild symptoms and are recovering well. That's good news.

Quick question...has your experience in contracting the virus altered your thoughts on how the country should combat it? I would think you would have been cautious in trying to do the recommendations of the gov...in fact overly cautious. Yet despite the precautions you still caught it....which leads me to believe at some point the vast majority of us will catch it....hopefully if we do with similar symptoms.

Specifically, based on your experience do you now think our approach of shutting everything down was the correct approach? Would you change anything going forward?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.