Quarantine for 14 days

20,213 Views | 152 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by eric76
terradactylexpress
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Objection, leading the witness
ToddyHill
AG
Eric,

So sorry to hear you are positive. That said, welcome to the club! (actually I'm being sarcastic). I was Symptomatic on May 1, and tested positive three days later. This virus has kicked my arse...though I'm recovering, I've never been this tired and weak. I have no idea how long this will take to fully recover (though I suspect at my age, 63, it's one of the reasons it has been so tough).

Glad to hear that the Health Department is not requiring you to test negative to be released. I'm outside of Knoxville, and was told if I were tested after I was released I'd test positive for several weeks, due to dead virus in my throat and nose.

I can't stress how important it is to get that Pulse Ox. That was huge for me, and brought me a tremendous amount of peace of mind.

Stay hydrated, take those pills, check your temperature often and check your oxygen saturation.

Oh, one other thing. The Health Department said the one symptom that will linger after I'm released is the dry cough. They said I will have that cough for weeks. That's a bummer because I cough like crazy at night when I'm in bed.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Mark the day your symptoms end. Then count out 28 days, and register to give plasma with your local blood bank.

If you are in the panhandle, as I surmise it would be with coffee blood center.
This message has been approved by Brad, Jerry and Mitch..
eric76
AG
JimInBCS said:

Eric, glad to hear you had very mild symptoms and are recovering well. That's good news.

Quick question...has your experience in contracting the virus altered your thoughts on how the country should combat it? I would think you would have been cautious in trying to do the recommendations of the gov...in fact overly cautious. Yet despite the precautions you still caught it....which leads me to believe at some point the vast majority of us will catch it....hopefully if we do with similar symptoms.

Specifically, based on your experience do you now think our approach of shutting everything down was the correct approach? Would you change anything going forward?
I think that the proper thing to do would be to make decisions on a more local basis. For example, it doesn't make sense to treat Loving County, Texas like Harris County, Texas. Also, when possible we should be actively seeking ways to keep things open instead of resorting to panic.

I can definitely see shutting down the public schools. My impression of public schools is that they are largely a germ garden. The kids always seem to pick up everything going around. I remember back when I was in school that they nearly had to shut the school down, at least the high school, because of an outbreak of mononucleosis that infected a lot of the students.

Last fall, I heard some coughing one day from the kitchen area of the office and so I walked back to see what was happening. It turned out to be a grand niece of mine who is/was in 8th grade and a couple of her friends getting something to eat (usually ramen noodles). Every one of them was coughing like crazy from something they picked up at school.

One cancellation hit our school pretty hard. That was the UIL boys basketball tournament. The girls won their tournament the week before to become the state champions. The boys were in San Antonio getting ready for their first game of the tournament in hopes of becoming the state champions in boy's basketball as well. There were already limits in place regarding how many fans could be in attendance. The tournament was "postponed" before they could play their first game.

It had to be done, but they didn't try to find a way to work around it. For example, they could have scheduled the tournament to be played a game at a time in neutral sites where there was no covid-19 outbreak with no fans in attendance. For example, if team A and team B were playing, why not arrange for them to meet at a site halfway in between, play the game, and go home. Then on to the next game. They could take the bus to the game, play it, and then go home. It would have been tough, but they could have handled it. And it should have been relatively safe.

That said, after seeing a great many of the comments on the Politics board and from talking to people in person, I'm very disheartened to see people interpreting it as some kind of left wing political tactic. As long as there are many people doing everything they shouldn't do, I doubt that there is much we really could have done to make a really big difference.

As for my precautions, there really weren't that many. I tend to stay away from crowds anyway. For example, I nearly always pick up my mail around midnight or later. Only once this year has anyone else even entered the post office while I was there to get my mail.

Also, I'm probably not a favorite at the local grocery stores. One closes at 7 pm and I usually arrive to shop about 6:50 pm. The other, in the next town, closes at 8 pm and I usually arrive about 7:45 pm. Whenever I go to either grocery store, I'm usually the last customer of the day.

Because the school had gone on-line, I was trying to get Internet access into homes where people didn't have it so that the kids could do home schooling. I already provide free Internet to the city park to anyone who wants to use it, but that's not good for some.

We have been asking where they work. The family in question said that they work for a local farmer. This turned out to be only partly true. The husband has worked for the local farmer for many years, but the wife works at a packing plant that is the center of a local outbreak in Oklahoma. If we had known that, we would not have gone.
eric76
AG
ToddyHill said:

Eric,

So sorry to hear you are positive. That said, welcome to the club! (actually I'm being sarcastic). I was Symptomatic on May 1, and tested positive three days later. This virus has kicked my arse...though I'm recovering, I've never been this tired and weak. I have no idea how long this will take to fully recover (though I suspect at my age, 63, it's one of the reasons it has been so tough).

Glad to hear that the Health Department is not requiring you to test negative to be released. I'm outside of Knoxville, and was told if I were tested after I was released I'd test positive for several weeks, due to dead virus in my throat and nose.

I can't stress how important it is to get that Pulse Ox. That was huge for me, and brought me a tremendous amount of peace of mind.

Stay hydrated, take those pills, check your temperature often and check your oxygen saturation.

Oh, one other thing. The Health Department said the one symptom that will linger after I'm released is the dry cough. They said I will have that cough for weeks. That's a bummer because I cough like crazy at night when I'm in bed.
I have a pulse oximeter on order. I'm a bit irked at the company because they told me they had them in stock. Only after I placed the order did they admit that they aren't in stock but they expect a shipment in a couple of days. I would have cancelled the order, but this was about the tenth place I looked and everyone had been out of them.

If I don't hear from them this week, I'll probably order another elsewhere just in case the first company takes a while. So I could end up with two of them.

As for a dry cough, I've had one all year. It was bad in January, really bad in February when I had the worst sinus infection of my life, and started to get better a couple of weeks after finishing a course of doxycycline. It's now down to maybe about one cough every hour or two while awake and none of them very hard.
JimInBCS
Thank you for the reply.
eric76
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Mark the day your symptoms end. Then count out 28 days, and register to give plasma with your local blood bank.

That's a great idea. It will give me a good excuse to go to Amarillo and maybe eat lunch at Wesley's Bean Pot. Also, I need to go to Cavender's sometime anyway.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
eric76 said:

SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

That's a great idea. It will give me a good excuse to go to Amarillo and maybe eat lunch at Wesley's Bean Pot. Also, I need to go to Cavender's sometime anyway.

Sounds like a good trip. I would hit up coyote bluff, as I have to go there anytime we visit my family in Canyon.

Here's a link to their blood center. There is a pre registration required to confirm details.

http://www.thegiftoflife.org/web/index.php?page=coffee-memorial-blood-center-to-collect-convalescent-plasma-to-aid-local-covid-19-patients
This message has been approved by Brad, Jerry and Mitch..
5C
AG
I would just go about my business and do your part to get this herd immunity rolling...
eric76
AG
The Gross Prophet said:

I would just go about my business and do your part to get this herd immunity rolling...
Are you suggesting that I should come over to your house and cough on you, your wife, and your kids?
JYDog90
AG
That way Gross Prophet can do his part!
Formerly Willy Wonka
ElephantRider
AG
The Gross Prophet said:

Are you suggesting he intentionally spread the virus?
eric76
AG
By the way, I was wearing a mask at their house when I was exposed.

If a reduced viral load might be a factor in the seriousness of the disease, i wonder if the mask might have made a big difference in reducing the viral load and that might explain part of why I'm having few issues with it.

Any thoughts on that?
BowSowy
AG
No options on that, but I like you Eric. You're level headed and seem like a good dude
KidDoc
AG
eric76 said:

By the way, I was wearing a mask at their house when I was exposed.

If a reduced viral load might be a factor in the seriousness of the disease, i wonder if the mask might have made a big difference in reducing the viral load and that might explain part of why I'm having few issues with it.

Any thoughts on that?
That is a popular theory and it will likely hold up under scrutiny. Many experts think the viral load hypothesis is why health care workers seem to be getting pretty severe disease.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
eric76
AG
My younger brother just got his test results. He's negative. That's a real relief.

I've been staying as far from him as possible even though we are both in the same building. I'm also wearing a mask when anywhere someone might be.
eric76
AG
Wednesday morning, I woke up to some definite pressure in the lungs. On Thursday it was worse and I was getting concerned. My appetite seemed to have decreased as well.

This morning, there is only the slightest hint of any issues with the lungs -- just a couple of twinges. Things are looking up.
ToddyHill
AG
Eric,

When you be released from isolation by the Health Department?
eric76
AG
ToddyHill said:

Eric,

When you be released from isolation by the Health Department?
That's a good question.

The health department employee I talked to the other day said that they don't require a negative test -- just three days with no symptoms. He had no answer to my question about people who aren't showing symptoms.

Someone I talked to from the local hospital district said that they require another test with negative results. They switched to a one hour test so they don't have to send the samples off to Lubbock for testing. So if I'm tested early next week, I should know the results in an hour or so.
ToddyHill
AG
FYI,

The Health Department in the county I reside, and the Health Department in the county where I work (they are adjoining counties), did not require negative test results as a condition of releasing me from isolation (which occurred yesterday). They said there was a good chance I'd throw a positive due to dead virus in my nose and throat. I was symptom free for the last four days (no fever) of my isolation.
eric76
AG
That I might end up spending an extra week or two in quarantine is adefinitely a concern of mine.
eric76
AG
My niece put on facebook that I have covid-19 and got 90 likes.

I'm not sure what to think about that.
Sq 17
Anecdotally getting a massive exposure has led to healthy people getting real sick the converse much harder to prove
ham98
eric76 said:

Is she a beneficiary in your will or life insurance policies?
Tabasco
AG
eric76 said:

On the Amazon Prime show Upload, people die but they are able to upload their mind or something to a virtual world. The protagonist meets a young kid and he asked him how he died. Kid said he fell at the Grand Canyon and they should expect people to test the glass floor. The adult said "that's how you died?! I saw that video, you dabbed on the way down!" Kid replied "That's how you get the likes."

It's all about the likes. She probably feels semi-famous, so let her have her moment in the sun (hey, you have Corona anyway, might as well let someone get some internet cred for it).
aggiebrad94
AG
SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Upload hasn't been out that long. Grrrrrr
74OA
AG
Apparently current quarantine measures and repeated testing don't always suffice to ensure someone is virus-free.

CARRIER
BiochemAg97
AG
74OA said:

Apparently current quarantine measures and repeated testing don't always suffice to ensure someone is virus-free.

CARRIER
If you catch it during the test, testing negative doesn't help.
74OA
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

74OA said:

CARRIER
If you catch it during the test, testing negative doesn't help.
I'd bet the Navy corpsmen administering the test have gone thru the same protocols as the sailors. The question is are the existing protocols sufficient?
Tabasco
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Upload hasn't been out that long. Grrrrrr
Um... that is all in the trailer. I assume the official 2 minute trailer and it's contents are exempt from spoilers.
Tabasco
AG

1:24 mark
eric76
AG
ToddyHill said:

FYI,

The Health Department in the county I reside, and the Health Department in the county where I work (they are adjoining counties), did not require negative test results as a condition of releasing me from isolation (which occurred yesterday). They said there was a good chance I'd throw a positive due to dead virus in my nose and throat. I was symptom free for the last four days (no fever) of my isolation.
There is this from the CDC, http://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/disposition-in-home-patients.html:
Quote:

For Persons with COVID-19 Under Isolation:
The decision to discontinue home isolation for persons with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 should be made in the context of local circumstances. Options include a symptom-based (i.e., time-since-illness-onset and time-since-recovery strategy) or a test-based strategy. Of note, there have been reports of prolonged detection of RNA without direct correlation to viral culture.

1). Symptom-based strategy

Persons with COVID-19 who have symptoms and were directed to care for themselves at home may discontinue isolation under the following conditions:

At least 3 days (72 hours) have passed since recovery defined as resolution of fever without the use of fever-reducing medications and improvement in respiratory symptoms (e.g., cough, shortness of breath); and,

At least 10 days have passed since symptoms first appeared.

2). Test-based strategy Previous recommendations for a test-based strategy remain applicable; however, a test-based strategy is contingent on the availability of ample testing supplies and laboratory capacity as well as convenient access to testing.

Persons who have COVID-19 who have symptoms and were directed to care for themselves at home may discontinue isolation under the following conditions:

Resolution of fever without the use of fever-reducing medications and
Improvement in respiratory symptoms (e.g., cough, shortness of breath), and
Negative results of an FDA Emergency Use Authorized COVID-19 molecular assay for detection of SARS-CoV-2 RNA from at least two consecutive respiratory specimens collected 24 hours apart (total of two negative specimens)*. See Interim Guidelines for Collecting, Handling, and Testing Clinical Specimens from Persons for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Of note, there have been reports of prolonged detection of RNA without direct correlation to viral culture.

For Persons Who have NOT had COVID-19 Symptoms but Tested Positive and are Under Isolation:

Options now include both a 1) time-based strategy, and 2) test-based strategy.

1). Time-based strategy

Persons with laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 who have not had any symptoms and were directed to care for themselves at home may discontinue isolation under the following conditions:

At least 10 days have passed since the date of their first positive COVID-19 diagnostic test assuming they have not subsequently developed symptoms since their positive test. If they develop symptoms, then the symptom-based or test-based strategy should be used. Note, because symptoms cannot be used to gauge where these individuals are in the course of their illness, it is possible that the duration of viral shedding could be longer or shorter than 10 days after their first positive test.

2). Test-based strategy

Persons with laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 who have not had any symptoms and were directed to care for themselves at home may discontinue isolation under the following conditions:

Negative results of an FDA Emergency Use Authorized COVID-19 molecular assay for detection of SARS-CoV-2 RNA from at least two consecutive respiratory specimens collected 24 hours apart (total of two negative specimens)*. See Interim Guidelines for Collecting, Handling, and Testing Clinical Specimens from Persons for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Note, because of the absence of symptoms, it is not possible to gauge where these individuals are in the course of their illness. There have been reports of prolonged detection of RNA without direct correlation to viral culture.
The symptom-based, time-based, and test-based strategies may result in different timeframes for discontinuation of isolation post-recovery. For all scenarios outlined above, the decision to discontinue isolation should be made in the context of local circumstances.

Note that recommendations for discontinuing isolation in persons known to be infected with COVID-19 could, in some circumstances, appear to conflict with recommendations on when to discontinue quarantine for persons known to have been exposed to COVID-19. CDC recommends 14 days of quarantine after exposure based on the time it takes to develop illness if infected. Thus, it is possible that a person known to be infected could leave isolation earlier than a person who is quarantined because of the possibility they are infected.

This recommendation will prevent most, but cannot prevent all, instances of secondary spread. The risk of transmission after recovery is likely substantially less than that during illness; recovered persons will not be shedding large amounts of virus by this point, if they are shedding at all. Employers and local public health authorities can choose to apply more stringent criteria for certain persons where a higher threshold to prevent transmission is warranted.

For certain populations, a longer timeframe after recovery may be desired to minimize the chance of prolonged shedding of replication-competent virus. Such persons include 1) healthcare personnel in close contact with vulnerable persons at high-risk for illness and death if those persons get COVID-19 and 2) persons who have conditions that might weaken their immune system which could prolong viral shedding after recovery. Such persons should consult with their healthcare provider; this might include additional PCR testing. Prolonged viral shedding has been demonstrated without direct correlation with replication competent virus.

Footnotes

*All test results should be final before isolation is ended. Testing guidance is based upon limited information and is subject to change as more information becomes available. In persons with a persistent productive cough, SARS-CoV-2-RNA might be detected for longer periods in sputum specimens than in respiratory specimens.

I'd like to believe that I could follow the guidelines without being approved to do so by the health department, but I bet that the health department would see it differently.

I haven't had many symptoms but I have had symptoms. On Wednesday and Thursday I had some pressure in the chest. Early Friday morning about 4:30 am, I had very minor pressure. By 9 am, there was no pressure and I felt great. So taking Friday as being the last day with symptoms, then I ought to be free on Tuesday.

The state of Texas guy I talked to told me the three days without symptoms thing, but the local hospital people said that they require two negative tests.
BowSowy
AG
Still doing well, Eric?
eric76
AG
BowSowy said:

Still doing well, Eric?
I've felt normal since Friday morning except for my sinuses which have been bothering me all year.

All in all, it's been a rather mild case.

Considering that we can be shedding virus fragments for weeks that could cause us to continue to test positive, if I don't develop any more symptoms and am still under isolation a week from now, the lesson learned will be not to get tested unless you're feeling really bad and just self isolate on my own.
JYDog90
AG
So on a scale of 1-10, what's the worst you've felt?
Formerly Willy Wonka

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.