We should be pushing for procedure mask compliance in public spaces

26,206 Views | 234 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Year of the Germaphobe
who?mikejones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That would be absurd unless you mean in the context of a pandemic
Stormchaser
AG
Kceovaisnt- said:

What about neck gaiters or Buffs? There should be a lot of those out there with all the hunters, bikers, and hikers.
I'm wearing a camo buff today. All I have. I would also be interested if it is better than nothing?
Aust Ag
AG
who?mikejones said:

Well, I'm talking about this Sept. If that's what it would take to go inside Kyle, who's with it? I think most would be good if that's what it took.
cone
AG
you do not have to wear a surgical mask to protect yourself and others

do not let perfect be the enemy of good
CT75
AG
Central Committee said:

One downside to the bandanna idea:

"Yeah, I was wearing my bandanna the other day when I walked into my bank the other day to make a withdrawal..."
Yelling at Kyle Field will be inhibited also!!
TexAg91
AG
cone said:

this is the hill I will die on

there's no reason why we shouldn't be wearing cheap procedure masks in public

we must break this taboo

people can refer to South Korea, but what's up with Japan? Hygiene and masks.
When this whole pandemic broke, we all heard that masks don't work, are a waste of $, etc. What garbage.

Was this lie just spread so that hoarders outside the medical community would not buy them all up and make them even harder to find for those who need them the most -- medical providers exposed to the virus every day?
DTP02
AG
I really feel like widespread adoption and availability of surgical type masks is a huge missing piece in this for getting things under control and some semblance of normalcy back.
McInnis 03
AG
My wife gives me a hard time because when I'm ill I have a box of simple masks at home that I bought from Walgreens about 3 years ago of which I wear around the house. My goal is not to infect her and my 3 daughters. I even sleep with it on. I'll say this, the cross infection rate of my illnesses at home is pretty low. Coincidence? Maybe. But when anyone else in the house gets something it spreads lol.
cone
AG
we need someone in a position of authority to level with us and tell us what the new normal looks like

and some form of mask has to be in the mix

we have to have confidence to be within six feet of each other at times
Builder93
AG
jczar03 said:

I agree 100%. Can't hurt. I wore a bandana to Home Depot the other day. I'm still fine.
This is some pretty strong data. We need to ramp up bandana production.
Copperpot
AG
Builder93 said:

jczar03 said:

I agree 100%. Can't hurt. I wore a bandana to Home Depot the other day. I'm still fine.
Copperpot
AG
Seriously, if we all wore masks, we could probably all go back to work on Monday. Mask, social distance as much as possible and good hand hygiene.
who?mikejones
AG
Aust Ag said:

who?mikejones said:

Well, I'm talking about this Sept. If that's what it would take to go inside Kyle, who's with it? I think most would be good if that's what it took.

If we are still at a stage where masks are necessary in September, we probably shouldnt have the game
Copperpot
AG
Builder93 said:

jczar03 said:

Tom Hanks gets C19 (a virus prevented with bandanas) after his son starts a bandana company...coincidence???

https://hankskerchiefs.com/
beerad12man
AG
who?mikejones said:

I'll wear a mask during a pandemic.

Actually, I'll only wear a mask when near other people. Im requiring my guys to wear sometjing over their nose and mouth on my jobsites.

But, i will not wear a mask during anything but a actual pandemic such as this.

Same thing with hand shaking. I'll refrain from it durong a pandemic, but will continue once this has passed.
This. I can't quite tell if the OP is talking about the normal moving forward for good, or just during times like these. But I'm not going to wear a mask for the rest of my life any time I go out in public.
88planoAg
AG
Central Committee said:

One downside to the bandanna idea:

"Yeah, I was wearing my bandanna the other day when I walked into my bank to make a withdrawal..."
Banks in Alaska have a sign out front that says must remove masks before entering.
88planoAg
AG
This would be quite a pivot, since we were told that no one should wear masks unless infected and that it would increase face touching.

I get the argument about asymptomatic carriers but the message would need retooling.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
To clarify- these surgical masks offer no protection from acquiring the virus. They do, however, reduce the chance of spreading it.
who?mikejones
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

To clarify- these surgical masks offer no protection from acquiring the virus. They do, however, reduce the chance of spreading it.

This is an important point and highlights that so long as testing is lagging along woth how long one can be asymptomatic and contagious, wearing something to help prevent spread is a good idea.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
I thought I saw a study posted on here that surgical masks were nearly as effective as N95
normaleagle05
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

What is the mechanism creating the difference?
Player To Be Named Later
AG
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/09/190903134732.htm
Marcus Aurelius
AG
That study focused on flu. Not covid-19. Smaller particle size. CDC guidelines do not recommend surgical mask for non intubated confirmed or PUI covid-19.
McInnis 03
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

So if this is fact, and the virus is spread by asymptomatic folks, wouldn't general population wearing some sort of face cover decrease transmission?

(I hope my wording is not disrespectful, I realize the job you're doing right now, respect you immensely, and appreciate your participation here Marcus)
Player To Be Named Later
AG
McInnis 03 said:

Marcus Aurelius said:

So if this is fact, and the virus is spread by asymptomatic folks, wouldn't general population wearing some sort of face cover decrease transmission?

(I hope my wording is not disrespectful, I realize the job you're doing right now, respect you immensely, and appreciate your participation here Marcus)

That's my thought also. Docs shouldn't be wearing just surgical masks but the general population could benefit likely from these to cut down the spread from asymptomatic carriers.
cone
AG
how about the next 6-9 months

at least through the 2nd wave
cone
AG
yeah, they kinda ****ed up
Marcus Aurelius
AG
BTW I agree with this notion. Think Asian countries on to something. Reducing asymptomatic spread. Especially in crowded areas.
cone
AG
and you can be spreading it and not knowing it

either early on in the illness or even throughout
Duncan Idaho
aggie-beta said:

I think we just need someone to make masks cool.

If I had any talent I would design some cool looking masks and convince some celebrities to be photographed in them for a cut of the company and turn it into a 9 figure business.

If Twitter and Instagram could ever be a force for good... This is it.

RM1993
AG
Japan now seeing rapidly increasing number of cases in Tokyo.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-japan-headquarters/japan-to-set-up-coronavirus-hq-possible-step-to-emergency-declaration-media-idUSKBN21D0A1
KidDoc
AG
Most people do not use the mask correctly. Maybe if there was a big public push for education on how to properly doff PPE it would be helpful.

Most untrained people also pick and touch at the mask way too much so it paradoxically increases their hand to face exposure.

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/covid-19-when-should-you-wear-a-face-mask/

I'm not against them at all but I just think they will not make a big difference aside from mass transit or closed in spaces--- buses, elevators, subways.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
94chem
TexAg91 said:

cone said:

this is the hill I will die on

there's no reason why we shouldn't be wearing cheap procedure masks in public

we must break this taboo

people can refer to South Korea, but what's up with Japan? Hygiene and masks.
When this whole pandemic broke, we all heard that masks don't work, are a waste of $, etc. What garbage.

Was this lie just spread so that hoarders outside the medical community would not buy them all up and make them even harder to find for those who need them the most -- medical providers exposed to the virus every day?

Government tells all sorts of lies for various reasons related to public health:
1) ulterior motive, such as conserving resources for a targeted group.
2) Bad data gets entrenched, such as the false bogeymen of salt, fat, and cholesterol.
3) Covering up negative outcomes in the interest of overall improvements for public health - things like certain vaccinations, GMO food, reducing pollutants or certain chemicals.
4) Covering up evil, like the Tuskegee experiments or nuclear testing in Utah.

Seems like this mask was just another lie that has served it's purpose, and it's time to tell the truth to the lemmings.
cone
AG
cone
AG
Quote:

I'm not against them at all but I just think they will not make a big difference aside from mass transit or closed in spaces--- buses, elevators, subways.
and yet we're seeking a new normal

a way to get back to work

a way to be around people, work around people - without fear and paranoia

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.