We should be pushing for procedure mask compliance in public spaces

26,153 Views | 234 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Year of the Germaphobe
JP_Losman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll wear a mask even when I'm alone. My hero is shredder from TMNT
P.U.T.U
AG
Origin Maine is making mask that has a pocket for filter inserts and is washable. Not 95 or but 100% made in America. Do look like they could be hot though.

Origin Maine mask
Player To Be Named Later
AG
What type of inserts can one find for increased filtration?
3rd Generation Ag
AG
You convinced me to start wearing even the cheap apaper ones I have from when I am teaching with a cold and not wanting to sneez on my students. I keep those.
P.U.T.U
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

What type of inserts can one find for increased filtration?
They said the inserts can fit a surgical mask or any filter material, if nothing they said a cloth or whatever you can find. To me they are similar to neck Gaiters with a insert pocket. May just pick one up since I can always use it working at the ranch or fishing
Builder93
AG
austinaggie2003 said:

Builder93 said:

jczar03 said:

I agree 100%. Can't hurt. I wore a bandana to Home Depot the other day. I'm still fine.
This is some pretty strong data. We need to ramp up bandana production.
Tom Hanks gets C19 (a virus prevented with bandanas) after his son starts a bandana company...coincidence???

https://hankskerchiefs.com/
I'm glad they didn't start a banana company.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Yeah, just curious what one would use to put in the filter pockets.
Builder93
AG
Serious question:

Even if a mask is put on incorrectly or if the particles are smaller than the N95 rating, wouldn't that be better than nothing? I'd be interested to know by what percentage does a mask slow the airborne spread assuming people did not increase the number times they commonly touch their faces.
BTHOthatguy
AG
This needs to be a national directive. Nobody wants to be "that guy" wearing a mask. If we can get to the point where you're "that guy" if you don't wear a mask, we can get moving forward ALOT quicker.
DTP02
AG
I've got a natural celeb spokesman for our "wear a mask" campaign:

Copperpot
AG
Builder93 said:

austinaggie2003 said:

Builder93 said:

jczar03 said:

I agree 100%. Can't hurt. I wore a bandana to Home Depot the other day. I'm still fine.
This is some pretty strong data. We need to ramp up bandana production.
Tom Hanks gets C19 (a virus prevented with bandanas) after his son starts a bandana company...coincidence???

https://hankskerchiefs.com/
I'm glad they didn't start a banana company.

Zobel
AG
Sew your own. It's not hard, make a tube of cloth from 15" x 7.5" square, then sew up the sides. Leave a gap to fit some nonwoven material (like felt) and sew a twisty-tie into the top hem to pinch over the nose. 7" of elastic sewn in a loop to the sides to go over your ears, or strings to tie.

It won't help much to protect you unless someone sneezes in your face, but it would help reduce transmission a lot.

Most people don't realize people in Asian countries wear masks out of courtesy to others when they're sick, not because they're trying to not get sick.
BTHOthatguy
AG
https://www.mirror.co.uk/science/coronavirus-shocking-video-shows-how-21738511

great video showing how surgical masks help.
cone
AG
why does wearing a mask make you that guy?

how did this become taboo?
Copperpot
AG
If it helps us get out of SIP faster and back to some form of normalcy, then I'll have no problem being "that guy".
Builder93
AG
cone said:

Because of this:

Texaggie7nine
BTHOthatguy said:

This needs to be a national directive. Nobody wants to be "that guy" wearing a mask. If we can get to the point where you're "that guy" if you don't wear a mask, we can get moving forward ALOT quicker.
That is what we felt like flying through spain this week. Everyone at the airport was wearing masks, but we didn't because we had no clue where to get them when everything is on lock down except grocery stores.
7nine
Texaggie7nine
cone said:

Because in the US the people that first started wearing them everywhere were the germophobes and crazies. It felt that if you wore a mask, you would be identified as one of the 2.
7nine
Copperpot
AG
Prior to 12/22/2001 we could get on planes without taking our shoes off. Things change and people adapt. Perhaps masks will be the social norm post C19.
McInnis 03
AG
Need a reporter in the press pool to ask this to Brix or Fauci. Twitter anyone? Link them (reporter) to this thread to get them to form a proper question.
Aust Ag
AG
BTHOthatguy said:

Username checks out.
who?mikejones
AG
Not a chance
These are my people, Americans.
Rutedown
jczar03 said:

I went to Home Depot as well. This Asian guy was wearing a mask and gloves. People starred at him like he was over doing it. If you got it, use it.
Reed McDonald 92
AG
How insecure does one have to be to be worried about what others think of them for wearing a mask? That's ridiculous.
KT_Ag08
AG
BTHOthatguy said:

Similar to skiing and helmets 15 or so years ago. You used to be that guy for wearing a helmet now you are that guy if you aren't.
Texaggie7nine
What will suck is if it does become the new norm, criminals are going to love it.
7nine
AggieFrog
AG
Rutedown said:

jczar03 said:

I went to Home Depot as well. This Asian guy was wearing a mask and gloves. People starred at him like he was over doing it. If you got it, use it.

Wearing gloves is just a waste.
HotardAg07
AG
https://diymask.site/
https://github.com/EdHubbell/DurhamHKMask

Mask designs.
KidDoc
AG
cone said:

I blame Michael Jackson.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
eric76
AG
cowenlaw said:

MiMi said:

Quote:

there's no reason why we shouldn't be wearing cheap procedure masks in public
Serious question - where can we purchase these masks (and not prevent medical professionals from getting what they need)?
Exactly. I'd love to wear a mask, but have no idea where to get one.
Builder93
AG
Rutedown said:

jczar03 said:

I saw several non-Asians wearing masks at Home Depot. No one stared at them. In fact, I was thinking good for them. I think most people would assume that people wearing masks have other health problems so they are being more cautious.
Builder93
AG
KidDoc said:

cone said:

I blame Michael Jackson.

Survives COVID:

Doesn't survive COVID:

Duncan Idaho
Quote:

I saw several non-Asians wearing masks at Home Depot. No one stared at them. In fact, I was thinking good for them. I think most people would assume that people wearing masks have other health problems so they are being more cautious.

This was was when I knew **** was serious. I saw a few Asians wearing make and didn't think too much about it.

Then I saw two different white families at Costco wearing them and realized this wasn't nothing.
cone
AG

this whole thread is worth the read
Builder93
AG
It's funny, because on campus it seems like Asians wearing masks has become a cultural thing, like a Hello Kitty back pack. No one gives it a second thought.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.