We should be pushing for procedure mask compliance in public spaces

25,052 Views | 234 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Year of the Germaphobe
Apache
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jocko's company.... that's awesome!
Copperpot
AG
With both my mom and my MIL battling cancer for years, I've learned to assume anyone wearing a mask is someone with cancer and is currently being treated.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
If we had masks and disposable gloves available to the public, we could start many things back. I would feel safe returning to the classroom if I had an adequate supply of masks and gloves and if my students wore them too.
AggieFrog
AG
Students (and most of the public, really) wearing gloves:

cone
AG
gloves aren't necessary

the virus gets into you and out of you via your nose and your mouth
88planoAg
AG
cone said:

gloves aren't necessary

the virus gets into you and out of you via your nose and your mouth
I've used gloves occasionally. Helps me keep my hands off my face while in the store. I remove them after opening the car door. It isn't because I think the virus can soak into my skin. It is to keep my hands clean.
txag11
AG
Same. Grocery shopping, pumping gas. At this point it's more cause my dry ass hands can't take more handwashing. Winter does a number on me in this arid climate.
PikesPeakAg
AG
Hospital system has gone to masks 100% of time for all staff. Smart move.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
normaleagle05
AG
normaleagle05 said:

Marcus Aurelius said:

To clarify- these surgical masks offer no protection from acquiring the virus. They do, however, reduce the chance of spreading it.

What is the mechanism creating the difference?
So do I understand correctly that surgical masks limit transmission but make zero impact on reception of this (or any) virus and we have no idea why there is a difference in which direction it is going?
Zobel
AG
No, we know why. If you're wearing a surgical mask and someone coughs nearby, as you breathe you suck those cough droplets in. They're super small, and they float around for a while. They can go straight through the cloth if they're small enough, but more likely into your eyes or around the sides of the mask. But, they probably do offer some protection if someone sneezes directly into your mouth or something.

If that sick person is wearing a surgical mask, a good chunk of the nastiness they hack out gets stuck in the mask, instead of crop dusting the whole room with pestilence.

If both people are wearing a mask, everyone wins.
Mordred
AG
KT_Ag08 said:

I've seen some of the Asian e-gamers with cool patterns or logos on their masks. Maybe we can get some beveled block Ts for future football games.
I'd rather die from CV than wear a bevel!
cone
AG
k2aggie07 said:

No, we know why. If you're wearing a surgical mask and someone coughs nearby, as you breathe you suck those cough droplets in. They're super small, and they float around for a while. They can go straight through the cloth if they're small enough, but more likely into your eyes or around the sides of the mask. But, they probably do offer some protection if someone sneezes directly into your mouth or something.

If that sick person is wearing a surgical mask, a good chunk of the nastiness they hack out gets stuck in the mask, instead of crop dusting the whole room with pestilence.

bravo
74Ag1
AG
Should be a requirement at least for next 60 days or so.
ac04
74Ag1
AG
ac04 said:

Excellent post
Beat40
I'm just about hoping on the mask train.

Need to come out with different colors that I can match to my business casual attire at work.
Rutedown
ac04 said:

I'm going fishing for some masks in my garage. I'm sure I have a couple of masks when I removed all the tile on our first floor last year.
Not a Bot
AG
normaleagle05 said:

normaleagle05 said:

Marcus Aurelius said:

To clarify- these surgical masks offer no protection from acquiring the virus. They do, however, reduce the chance of spreading it.

What is the mechanism creating the difference?
So do I understand correctly that surgical masks limit transmission but make zero impact on reception of this (or any) virus and we have no idea why there is a difference in which direction it is going?

They likely do offer protection, just not as much. Per CDC most likely mode of transmission is droplet, similar to flu. Aerosolization due to procedures like nebs put it at much higher risk for airborne spread. A lot of hospitals using N95 only in certain circumstances due to low supply.
Builder93
AG
ac04 said:

you have to do the inverse logarithm and graph the curve showing the mask constant while comparing current cases minus the square root of deaths.

In other words, don't try to make it so simple. There are geniuses at work here.

BTW, sorry the image is so huge.
Equinsu Ocha
I wore a mask today in the grocery store and Home Depot. Some people looked at me like I was contagious, but I think some were wondering where I bought it (it was buried in my garage). Regardless, I figure it can't hurt.
KidDoc
AG
k2aggie07 said:

This is how public mask work. Great summary.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
74Ag1
AG
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.euronews.com/amp/2020/03/24/coronavirus-czechs-facing-up-to-covid-19-crisis-by-making-masks-mandatory
AggieFrog
AG
ac04 said:

Yeah, it can't be that they're aggressively using testing, contact tracing, and isolation. It's just the masks.
TAMUallen
AG
Equinsu Ocha said:

I wore a mask today in the grocery store and Home Depot. Some people looked at me like I was contagious, but I think some were wondering where I bought it (it was buried in my garage). Regardless, I figure it can't hurt.

Same for me at Target. I even had a target employee come up while I was shopping and look into my cart to see if I was hoarding. Sorry for buying two pizzas ::facepalm::
ham98
AggieFrog said:

ac04 said:

Yeah, it can't be that they're aggressively using testing, contact tracing, and isolation. It's just the masks.
I think widespread usage of masks also helps to mentally reinforce the gravity of the situation. Most of us are visual learners so seeing a tangible reminder of the pandemic would be useful for our collective attitude towards our current situation.
oneeyedag
The Director of Health and Safety for University of Virginia Medical Center and I had a nice conversation last week. In order to conserve masks, they did a study on bandanas versus regular surgical masks for ancillary staff. The study proved that double folded bandanas provided provided just as much protection as a typical surgical mask.

These folks would be greeters, information, valet, billing etc. NOT medical staff.

The issue behind the public not buying masks and the masks dont work for healthy people is bs. If everyone is wearing a mask infection rates go down.

It is the hoarding of supplies and interruption of supply chain getting to facilities that need them most was the main reason for the PSA.
cone
AG
Japan?
cone
AG
oneeyedag said:

It is the hoarding of supplies and interruption of supply chain getting to facilities that need them most was the main reason for the PSA.

the noble lie is completely counter productive
bushytailed
AG
A friends of mine in BCS is selling the cloth masks that she makes.
https://curiouscollectionstx.com/products/washablefacemask?variant=32980043857979
ac04
AggieFrog said:

ac04 said:

yes, obviously the strategy for containing this should be multi-faceted. the countries in the blue circle are doing a better job of every item you listed. including masks.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
cone said:

this is the hill I will die on

there's no reason why we shouldn't be wearing cheap procedure masks in public

we must break this taboo

people can refer to South Korea, but what's up with Japan? Hygiene and masks.

How about we just shut down the Chinese Wet Markets instead.
ac04
while that is a great idea, i'm going to go out on a limb and say that it may be too late for that to have a positive impact on our ability to contain the virus in the US.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
ac04 said:

while that is a great idea, i'm going to go out on a limb and say that it may be too late for that to have a positive impact on our ability to contain the virus in the US.

Are we talking masks now? Sure I'm game until this blows over.

Are we talking masks forever? Then no, I'm not going to live my life like I'm in a Beijing Airport.
Dad
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

ac04 said:

Are we talking masks now? Sure I'm game until this blows over.

Are we talking masks forever? Then no, I'm not going to live my life like I'm in a Beijing Airport.

I think wearing masks now is all we need to do. Once they find a treatment that is safe and effective or a vaccine or the virus just slows down on it own then we quit wearing them.
12thAngryMan
AG
You do understand that people in southeast Asian countries only wear masks when they are sick, right? No one is suggesting that we should always wear a mask out in public for the rest of time. It's about being considerate and respectful of other people. If you live in some rural area, maybe it doesn't matter as much, but for anyone living in a major metropolitan area, it seems like a no brainer to me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.