We should be pushing for procedure mask compliance in public spaces

26,181 Views | 234 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Year of the Germaphobe
cone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tysker
AG
Whats a vacuum bag? /dyson owner for over 12 yrs
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Problem is, it isn't remotely just millenials acting like idiots and not following guidelines. The stupidity I'm seeing out there knows no age class. Seniors may be the only ones paying attention.
Texaggie7nine
7nine
TexAg91
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

So they DO work for the well people to wear them.....
Tmoneyag99
AG
Drifter. said:

Does a mask help me from getting the virus or do it stop me from spreading it, if I'm contagious. I've seen conflicting info.

Kind of both but it leans more to "stops the spread"

Because no one knows when they are sick it's best to assume that we all have it and we are stopping the spread.

Wanna get back to work. Wear the mask... heck even wear golves.

Seriously at this point who gives two SH!%s.

We are having a cable guy over at our house (I know I'm kind of nervous but we need the extra band width in internet). We are giving him a brand new mask to wear with gloves and shoe covers in our house. He is welcome to take the mask home with him.

Wear a mask and get back to work. It'll slow the spread and we can all get back to work.

That being said... Wear a homemade mask or a Balaclava. It stops the virus from getting into the air when you cough
Pulmcrit_ag
There is a far too simplistic idea that you only spread the virus by cough and sneeze and not with normal speech. You are spreading respiratory droplets with normal speech and many people are asymptomatic and contagious. Requiring wearing masks will be helpful in my opinion.
cone
AG
twk
AG
cone said:

I think that will be the strategy in the Fall, when it comes back, but right now, there aren't enough masks.

If we're able to ramp things up economically this summer, I think the government will be able to prepare the public for a different approach to the second phase, after everyone sees the economic fallout from the first.
cone
AG
I would encourage you to DIY

embrace your American can-do. you don't have to wait.
cone
AG
Texaggie7nine

More lying
7nine
cone
AG
complete villains
Observer
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

More lying
WHO and US Surgeon General lost significant amount of credibility on this. Virus doesn't care if you are caring for a sick patient or buying a gallon of milk in the grocery store.
Blue Bell Ag
AG
cone said:

bandanna is better than nothing

I initially read this as banana pudding.
McInnis 03
AG
Starting to feel like this is the government saying "we know better than you, we can't trust you idiots to wear a mask properly, you'll touch it, and do it wrong, and that's because you're peons". I can't help but feel any other way at this point.

I saw a TON of people wearing masks at Walmart yesterday, and you know what..........I was cool with it.
Dustoff00
AG
Blue Bell Ag said:

cone said:

bandanna is better than nothing

I initially read this as banana pudding.

Both interpretations are true... in fact, I will go one step further and declare that Blue Bell Banana Pudding ice cream is better than most things...
Dedicated Unhesitating Service To Our Fighting Forces
Texaggie7nine
When there are finally enough masks for everyone, I wonder how they will reverse course and still maintain that they were being honest.
7nine
McInnis 03
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

When there are finally enough masks for everyone, I wonder how they will reverse course and still maintain that they were being honest.
"Please understand, we prefer you utilize one of the many online resources to make your own. We recognize the ingenuity and determination of the American people, the same values that have gotten us to the successful point that we are at today, and we want to harness that creative energy in a way that will help reduce viral spread...."

Shall I keep going? #FreeLanceSpeechWriter
ETFan
Reusable.
tysker
AG
Quote:

I saw a TON of people wearing masks at Walmart yesterday, and you know what..........I was cool with it.
To be fair most people shopping at Walmart are likely to be high-risk
cone
AG
KidDoc
AG
The WHO has lost all credibility with this. They have been wrong on every single step.

New policy email this morning:

Our Texas Division (with approval by our local executive council) is implementing the use of surgical masks for all staff members who interact in person with patients. This policy started this morning. In the hospital, the surgical mask must be worn at all times. In the outpatient clinics, staff members must wear the mask if they will be directly interacting with patients in person, regardless of distance or length of exposure. In the clinics, the surgical mask may be removed when not dealing with directly with a patient if desired, although such removal should only occur if extended periods of non-interaction are expected. When the mask needs to be taken off, proper doffing is expected, including folding the surgical mask properly to avoid contamination and placement in a paper bag for storage with name and date. Do NOT just lower the mask and let it hang below the face. The same surgical mask will be worn every day until it is soiled, damaged, or difficult to breathe through. When this occurs, the old mask will need to be exchanged for a new one, as opposed to just asking for an additional replacement mask. Masks should not be shared between staff members.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cone
AG
are you guys putting masks on all patients as well?
Fitch
AG
Probably stating the obvious here, but this all reads like the powers that be are aiming to prevent a run on masks a la toilet paper, in deference to equipping medical staff with available supplies. Like a calculated hedging strategy.

There are plenty of reports of manufacturers shifting assembly lines and production teams to ramp up mask production. It wouldn't be surprising to see a policy reversal after a supply stream is stabilized.

KidDoc
AG
cone said:

are you guys putting masks on all patients as well?
If they have cough & fever but I'm not seeing any of those patients they are all funneled to one clinic that has PPE & testing.

Line 2 of the email:
2. Asymptomatic patients themselves should not be asked to wear surgical masks in the clinic, particularly since we ourselves have to wear masks anyway with all patients with this new policy.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ensign_beedrill
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

I watched a play adaptation of 1984 the other day and this is very reminiscent. The main character goes back and corrects government documents and news to line up with the present rhetoric.

There's one part where they change the country they're at war with.
"Oceania is at war with Eastasia."
"But yesterday we were at war with Eurasia."
"No, Oceania is at war with Eastasia. Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia."
zooguy96
AG
You can't find masks for sale anywhere. Not even surgical masks. It's pretty much make your own.

Or, if someone knows of a link, post it please.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Aust Ag
AG
zooguy96 said:

You can't find masks for sale anywhere. Not even surgical masks. It's pretty much make your own.

I think for the most part, it's good that they are not readily available, as I hope new shipments are being sent straight to hospitals for workers, doctors, etc. I think the next in line should be people with asthma, respiratory issues, etc. They should be able to go to their primary and pick up the extras.

The next is line is people that are healthy, but concerned. And it sounds like it's going to be a while until they ready for mass purchase, so then they wear the bandana or homemade mask.
twk
AG
Aust Ag said:

zooguy96 said:

I think for the most part, it's good that they are not readily available, as I hope new shipments are being sent straight to hospitals for workers, doctors, etc. I think the next in line should be people with asthma, respiratory issues, etc. They should be able to go to their primary and pick up the extras.

The next is line is people that are healthy, but concerned. And it sounds like it's going to be a while until they ready for mass purchase, so then they wear the bandana or homemade mask.
Yes, health care workers need them first, but you've actually got it backwards on at risk people and the general population. The purpose of surgical masks is not to protect the person wearing it, but, rather, to protect the people they come into contact with.

An at risk person's only safe move is to self-isolate. For the general population, widespread wearing of masks would decrease the spread among the healthy population, and thereby lessen the risk for the vulnerable.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
I was out briefly today to get paper products. I felt a little strange wearing a mask my daughter had made for me. I undestand its limits. But any little bit helps. I went into exactly one store. About one in five had on a mask of some sort. The checker included. And she was using hand sanitizer between every customer.

I think when things start to open up, you will see people wearing masks.
combat wombat™
AG
I'm not claiming this is the best mask alternative there is. But, if none other are available it has got to be better than nothing for the average Joe going to the grocery store.

No-sew facemask with hankie or bandana.
Texaggie7nine
7nine
combat wombat™
AG
Eew.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.