Hydroxychloroquine...........

291,862 Views | 1854 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Jabin
Ranger222
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Palovic said:

Drifter. This drug helps everyone but I think your question is structured incorrectly. It will not cure the co-exisitng conditions but what it does it effectively allows other drugs and or supplements like zinc to effectively stop viral reproduction process of the RNA virus.

Timing is everything in this treatment as there are studies that show that this treatment can remove all signs of the virus in a fast as 6 days but most people are currently waiting until they are having issues with respitory inflammation and then have to be intibated while the treatment is then given. The challenge in Italy is that most people cannot go 6-10 days without ventilators for this treatment.

I think the correct approach may be that they prescribe at the onset of the symptoms and diagnosis and not wait.

Just my opinion

Where are you getting this information regarding mechanism of action? That is not the suspected MOA at all. It most likely inhibits endosome acidification during virus entry into cells. It has nothing to do with "allowing other drugs" like zinc to work.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=chloroquine+endosome+acidification&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart#d=gs_qabs&u=%23p%3D8z7tPpDfbLQJ
Palovic
Best summary I have seen to date.

Marcus Aurelius
AG
COVID cases surging in my hospital. HCQ being reserved for confirmed cases only. Bad cause slow turn around of assay. Have several high suspicion including two in respiratory distress with drug being withheld. Not surprised.
Palovic
Interesting. Thanks for update and hopefully we can get testing ramped up, have production of Chloroquine in full swing and get people treatment timely even with mild symptoms.

Let's eradicate this pain in the ass virus.

What part of the world are you in Marcus?
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Bham metro. 71 cases statewide now and 0 deaths. Zero ARDS so far. I'm on call this weekend. Feel like Rick Grimes.
SmackDaddy
AG
Updates on patients are valued but demographics also very helpful....
Palovic
Keep fighting the good fight and thank you for what you do.

Player To Be Named Later
AG
Stay safe bud!
pbrancazio
AG
Two generic manufacturers have started production of HCQ.
74Ag1
AG
Bayer donating 3,000,000 tablets
https://techstartups.com/2020/03/19/bayer-donates-3-millions-tablets-chloroquine-treatment-coronavirus/
Not a Bot
AG
Teva donating 6 million tablets, Mylan ramping up production to have 50 million available within next few weeks.
2wealfth Man
AG
Just saw interview on FOX with NY doc who was very optimistic with the results they are seeing in patients. Best I have felt about this since the whole mess started.
Exsurge Domine
2wealfth Man said:

Just saw interview on FOX with NY doc who was very optimistic with the results they are seeing in patients. Best I have felt about this since the whole mess started.

Results from the HCQ or in general?
Marcus Aurelius
texaggie90
AG
Here's what Chloroquine does to this virus.

Studies have shown so far...

1. without Chloroquine, 90% of patients still test positive at 6 days after becoming symptomatic

2. With Chloroquine, only 25% of patients still test positive at 6 days after becoming symptomatic

3. With Chloroquine plus azithromycin, only 5% of patients still test positive at 6 days after becoming symptomatic.

This doesn't even include any of the other drugs they're fast tracking approval for. Chloroquine is the drug that China is using now. Took them a while to find it but it's the main drug they're using. It's working! No new cases

Limited studies so far but showing great promise
2wealfth Man
AG
Exsurge Domine said:

2wealfth Man said:

Results from the HCQ or in general?
HCQ and zithromax
_mpaul
AG
texaggie90 said:

1. without Chloroquine, 90% of patients still test positive at 6 days after becoming symptomatic

2. With Chloroquine, only 25% of patients still test positive at 6 days after becoming symptomatic

3. With Chloroquine plus azithromycin, only 5% of patients still test positive at 6 days after becoming symptomatic.

This doesn't even include any of the other drugs they're fast tracking approval for. Chloroquine is the drug that China is using now. Took them a while to find it but it's the main drug they're using. It's working! No new cases

From your lips to God's ears!
FTAG 2000
AG
texaggie90 said:

There's only no new cases in China because they've chosen not to report any new cases. Let's not be naive on that.
74OA
AG
texaggie90 said:

Good news.
McInnis
AG
I agree about not being able to trust the Chinese but I saw an interview with an American citizen who is a long time resident of Wuhan and he said that life is returning to normal there.
longeryak
Explains why south of the equator malaria areas haven't been hit.
jenn96
AG
longeryak said:

Explains why south of the equator malaria areas haven't been hit.
That's a great point, if they have a high population already taking anti-malarials.
Sq 17
jeffdjohnson said:

Wozlaw said:

Is he saying it's now FDA approved for COVID? Huge news I think
Yes. They don't want to promise anything but they wouldn't let Trump announce it unless they felt positive about it.

Somewhat amusing you think anyone could stop Trump from announcing good news that had not been substantiated
Sq 17
pbrancazio said:

Any reports on limitations based on sourcing the active ingredients
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Asymptomatic patients are asking for it and being prescribed it. This needs to stop. National shortage.
2wealfth Man
AG
HCQ was also used in South Korea for which there is a more reliable data set.
Not a Bot
AG
Sq 17 said:

pbrancazio said:

Any reports on limitations based on sourcing the active ingredients
Mylan says they have enough ingredients on hand to produce 50 million tablets.
Not a Bot
AG
Reasonable providers would not be prescribing this to asymptomatic patients, but there are some horrible doctors/NPs/PAs who want to keep their clientele happy instead of doing what's best for them. Probably the same folks writing antibiotic Rx for every cold/sniffles patient who wants them. Pitiful.
Palovic
I think that was the greatest fear a few people had on this forum once the results had been published. The dilemma you face is who of the infected should get the medication in the near term while production ramps up in the next few weeks. Critical, mild, and/or asymptomatic?

You obviously want to get the total asymptomatic/mild infected under control quickly as that number dwarfs the critical patients, but you also do not want to not have enough for critical cases.

Near term dilemma until the pills are in mass production.

I would assume there is a run on zpacks as well.
Fitch
AG
This isn't intended to be a commentary on the President, but the press conference showed a clear divide between POTUS and the medical professionals in the room in terms of optimism and hedging on the efficacy of the drug.

It was reiterated that they don't have enough data to show if it's working or not, and that programs are being setup to collect data -- not saying that it is a silver bullet.
Not a Bot
AG
Right, we don't want this turning into toilet paper all over again. Need to be very specific prescription guidelines. Needs to go to hospitalized patients first (note that Teva and Bayer are using their wholesalers to donate 9 million tablets directly to hospitals). Looks like Mylan won't be able to ship a lot of product for a few weeks.
Beat40
Moxley said:

Right, we don't want this turning into toilet paper all over again. Need to be very specific prescription guidelines. Needs to go to hospitalized patients first (note that Teva and Bayer are using their wholesalers to donate 9 million tablets directly to hospitals). Looks like Mylan won't be able to ship a lot of product for a few weeks.
Yup. Let's start with people in the hospital and hopefully get them out of there so we help with the hospital overurns that may come.
_mpaul
AG
Fitch said:

This isn't intended to be a commentary on the President, but the press conference showed a clear divide between POTUS and the medical professionals in the room in terms of optimism and hedging on the efficacy of the drug.

It was reiterated that they don't have enough data to show if it's working or not, and that programs are being setup to collect data -- not saying that it is a silver bullet.
Makes sense. POTUS conveying optimism, the rest waiting to see the science. But I find it encouraging that the pharma companies have committed to sending (what seems to be) so much of it. I'm not sure they would do that if there wasn't at least a good feeling this would help. Of course, maybe cost-wise it's not a whole lot of money and, what they heck, a few million dollars for a hail-mary pass?
texaggie90
AG
Well, when the CEO of FedEx came out yesterday and stated that their business in China is back on line and they're back to work, tells me something has worked and is working.
texaggie90
AG
My wife takes HydroxyChloroqine for Lupus and not a single pharmacy has any left now. We're scrambling trying to find it for management of her lupus.

Pharmacist told me everyone and their dog has been getting scripts from their docs to "have it on hand just in case."

Ridiculous.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.