Hydroxychloroquine...........

297,450 Views | 1854 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Jabin
Infection_Ag11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DadHammer said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

dermdoc said:

Anybody with symptoms should be treated with haz. And as early as possible.

While I respect your opinion I strongly disagree.

As an example, I have a friend in GI at a different institution currently managing a fulminant drug induced hepatitis from plaquenil in a resolved COVID case. Young guy who would have almost certainly been fine regardless but got an outpatient script for it. Now his COVID symptoms have completely resolved but he may end up needing a liver transplant.

Just be careful is all I'm saying.

Don't believe you.

I'm sorry
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
74Ag1
AG
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/apr/2/hydroxychloroquine-rated-most-effective-therapy-do/
BiochemAg97
AG
Exsurge Domine said:

I'm not a doctor, but from what I've seen, the hcq is pretty much worthless once the lungs are compromised. The entire benefit of it seems to be that it stops the lungs from being compromised. It doesn't make a lot of sense to lock the front door after the murderer is in the house
The enrollment criteria for the China controlled trial included evidence of pneumonia on X-ray but a ox of 93% or better. To me that suggests difficulty breathing and right about the time you would want to admit to hospital, assuming the patient didn't wait too long to go to the hospital.

The trials of Remdesivir look to be more effective for patients with a further along disease progression. That is a harder one to do since it isn't approved and can't just be prescribed off label, but there are some trials available. Hopefully we get to a point where those trials show good evidence of success quickly. Then we could use hcq for early stage cases (even if you start at hospital admission if we have to ration) and then use the Remdesivir for more advanced cases.

Longer term, we would want to be to a point where you could get testing on demand at the start of symptoms, and give hcq and zpac the same way we give tamiflu for a positive flu test. Once we get there, then this isn't a major problem anymore.

I still want to progress quickly to a vaccine because a vaccine is easier than even days laid up with a virus, but we need to prove out some coronavirus vaccine for the next time someone eats an undercooked bat or camel or pangolin or who knows what and starts the next coronavirus outbreak. It is a shame we got distracted by other things and didn't continue to fund SARS vaccine clinical trials.
Exsurge Domine
BiochemAg97 said:

Exsurge Domine said:

I'm not a doctor, but from what I've seen, the hcq is pretty much worthless once the lungs are compromised. The entire benefit of it seems to be that it stops the lungs from being compromised. It doesn't make a lot of sense to lock the front door after the murderer is in the house
The enrollment criteria for the China controlled trial included evidence of pneumonia on X-ray but a ox of 93% or better. To me that suggests difficulty breathing and right about the time you would want to admit to hospital, assuming the patient didn't wait too long to go to the hospital.

The trials of Remdesivir look to be more effective for patients with a further along disease progression. That is a harder one to do since it isn't approved and can't just be prescribed off label, but there are some trials available. Hopefully we get to a point where those trials show good evidence of success quickly. Then we could use hcq for early stage cases (even if you start at hospital admission if we have to ration) and then use the Remdesivir for more advanced cases.

Longer term, we would want to be to a point where you could get testing on demand at the start of symptoms, and give hcq and zpac the same way we give tamiflu for a positive flu test. Once we get there, then this isn't a major problem anymore.

I still want to progress quickly to a vaccine because a vaccine is easier than even days laid up with a virus, but we need to prove out some coronavirus vaccine for the next time someone eats an undercooked bat or camel or pangolin or who knows what and starts the next coronavirus outbreak. It is a shame we got distracted by other things and didn't continue to fund SARS vaccine clinical trials.

Great posts
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Mods please delete bickering posts. Can't sabotage these threads.
Cant Think of a Name
AG
Quote:

This is the end game. With essentially temporary government takeover of manufacturing under the Defense Production Act, why cant there be stacks of this stuff in every walgreens and cvs in america in a month or less? Then just start mass perscribing itl to everyone with a cough. Then we can all go back to work! What am i missing here?
Aggie Pharmer
AG
Cant Think of a Name said:

Quote:

This is the end game. With essentially temporary government takeover of manufacturing under the Defense Production Act, why cant there be stacks of this stuff in every walgreens and cvs in america in a month or less? Then just start mass perscribing itl to everyone with a cough. Then we can all go back to work! What am i missing here?
It's not that easy in pharma. If the tablets are manufactured at a site that has fixed capacity, you just can't start on-boarding new manufacturing sites to make the dosage forms. There's the tech transfer to the site including the qualification and validation of the manufacturing method and the transfer and qualification/validation of the analytical methods that will be used to test the quality of the drug and release it to the market. There is also a minimum amount of stability data that you would like to have to ensure the quality of the drug going to the market (e.g., that the shelf life is not compromised by switching to another manufacturing site). Not to mention the bioequivalence studies that would need to be performed in humans to ensure that dosage forms made at one site are similar to dosage forms made at the original site.

A lot of what I mentioned above is covered by FDA guidance on Scale-Up and Post-Approval Changes (SUPAC) as well as FDA guidances on Abbreviated New Drug Product Applications (ANDA's).

Now, if you have a large generic manufacturer such as Perrigo, Sandoz, Mylan, or Teva that are already manufacturing the drug, then it would be much easier to increase their capacity by mandating in an emergency that they increase the output of these drugs by diverting resources from other drugs they manufacture. But it's a totally different animal from Ford or GM making ventilators or My Pillow making PPE.
Cancelled
AG
I wonder if we had these requirements when we had women making bombs during WW2. There comes a point when you have to consider that government regulations are hampering an effort and just say "**** it."
Cant Think of a Name
AG
Good info.

User name checks out?
Aggie Pharmer
AG
queso1 said:

I wonder if we had these requirements when we had women making bombs during WW2. There comes a point when you have to consider that government regulations are hampering an effort and just say "**** it."
Everything I mentioned above is in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR's). Like I said, it's a totally different animal.
My last paragraph would be the best chance at increasing production.
Cancelled
AG
I completely understand. I'm just wondering if we reach a point where we bypass the CFR to save lives and to get the economy back and running.
Aggie Pharmer
AG
queso1 said:

I completely understand. I'm just wondering if we reach a point where we bypass the CFR to save lives and to get the economy back and running.
FDA has a very good idea of the number of producers for these branded and generic meds (both stateside and offshore) and likely have an idea of what their max output could be. There would have to be some seriously extenuating circumstances and strong proof from clinical trials (not anecdotal) for FDA to give away their power like that.
Cant Think of a Name
AG
Like a plague that is crippling our economy and threatens our very way of life?
Cancelled
AG
Respectfully to the FDA, I would say that if our fear of death from COVID is great enough to destroy history's greatest economy overnight, that would qualify as "extenuating circumstances."
Aggie Pharmer
AG

Like a plague that is crippling our economy and threatens our very way of life?
Can't answer that question, unfortunately.
pbrancazio
AG
Aggie Pharmer said:

Quote:

It's not that easy in pharma. If the tablets are manufactured at a site that has fixed capacity, you just can't start on-boarding new manufacturing sites to make the dosage forms. There's the tech transfer to the site including the qualification and validation of the manufacturing method and the transfer and qualification/validation of the analytical methods that will be used to test the quality of the drug and release it to the market. There is also a minimum amount of stability data that you would like to have to ensure the quality of the drug going to the market (e.g., that the shelf life is not compromised by switching to another manufacturing site). Not to mention the bioequivalence studies that would need to be performed in humans to ensure that dosage forms made at one site are similar to dosage forms made at the original site.

A lot of what I mentioned above is covered by FDA guidance on Scale-Up and Post-Approval Changes (SUPAC) as well as FDA guidances on Abbreviated New Drug Product Applications (ANDA's).

Now, if you have a large generic manufacturer such as Perrigo, Sandoz, Mylan, or Teva that are already manufacturing the drug, then it would be much easier to increase their capacity by mandating in an emergency that they increase the output of these drugs by diverting resources from other drugs they manufacture. But it's a totally different animal from Ford or GM making ventilators or My Pillow making PPE.
I believe 10 generic manufacturers are approved. The availability of doses will most likely depend on the availability of API vs the availability of manufacturing capacity. The larger generic sites have capacity to make billions of doses per year. Also, this is an immediate release formulation which is much easier to transfer the manufacturing and testing processes among sites.
Reveille
AG

Quote:

Will be close, there is light at the end of the tunnel for sure but this medications can cause QT prolongation. This can lead to heart arrhythmia's so not quite as benign as Tamiflu. If you have a recent normal EKG on the patient than certainly the risk of this is minimal. But how many on this board alone have had an EKG in the past 2 years even. Also there is risk of retinopathy, kidney disease and even liver disease. So do you have recent labs on a patient also?

Are they going to waive all malpractice suits if we start handing it out to everyone with a cough? No way attorney's would ever go for that. You will likely be seeing commercial's in the near future were you give HCQ in the pandemic and suffered a heart arrhythmia, kidney damage, liver damage or vision damage you could be entitled to a cash settlement.

However, that said I am all about helping people and will be aggressively treating high risk patient's. Certainly not everyone with a cough but those who have multiple symptoms cough, fever, shortness of breath, body aches, anosmia, or no sneezing I will offer the treatment to. If enough doctors are agressively treating high risk patients and we continue with good hygiene social distancing than problem is minimized.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aggie Pharmer
AG
pbrancazio said:

Aggie Pharmer said:

Quote:

I believe 10 generic manufacturers are approved. The availability of doses will most likely depend on the availability of API vs the availability of manufacturing capacity. The larger generic sites have capacity to make billions of doses per year. Also, this is an immediate release formulation which is much easier to transfer the manufacturing and testing processes among sites.

I agree with this 100%. I wasn't considering the availability of raw materials in my response, but you are correct. This would be my #1 concern right now because you would basically be competing with every other in the country in the work for available API to produce your tablets.
DadHammer
AG
These drugs are proven safe enough. Don't take if you don't want to but don't deny to others.

We are spending Trillions of $ and the economy is getting destroyed.

We should spend a large portion of that money and resources getting these meds out to every American and get back to work right away. If it only helps 10% of the population that is a giant win. Companies are donating millions of pills which means millions more could be produced quickly. All these meds are generic.

Good grief the people worried about side effects in a tiny population issue is flat out ignorant. If your too scared to take the meds then don't. I for one will take them and head back to work today!! Everyone at risk should stay at home and self quarantine but we cant continue like this.
FriscoKid
AG
Quote:

You will likely be seeing commercial's in the near future were you give HCQ in the pandemic and suffered a heart arrhythmia, kidney damage, liver damage or vision damage you could be entitled to a cash settlement.

And the same people willing to sue would take this drug in a heartbeat right now. I absolutely hate the fact that drug companies can be sued for doing a good thing 99% of the time.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
I'm guessing most cardiologists are closed down for in office visits these days? Ptetty positive my "clinic" doesn't do EKGs to have a recent one available.
DadHammer
AG
FriscoKid said:

Quote:

You will likely be seeing commercial's in the near future were you give HCQ in the pandemic and suffered a heart arrhythmia, kidney damage, liver damage or vision damage you could be entitled to a cash settlement.

And the same people willing to sue would take this drug in a heartbeat right now. I absolutely hate the fact that drug companies can be sued for doing a good thing 99% of the time.

Well luckily the short term use of these drugs has shown that to almost never happen. Plus why cant we give the companies immunity for being sued until we get past this thing?
Reveille
AG
FriscoKid said:

Quote:

Absolutely they would this is what drives us crazy in medicine.
Reveille
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

I'm guessing most cardiologists are closed down for in office visits these days? Ptetty positive my "clinic" doesn't do EKGs to have a recent one available.

Ironically after saying that the risk of QT prolongation is very low. I just now saw a Rheumatoid Arthritis patient for her annual physical who has been on hydroxycholoroquine for 15 years with no issues. But of course today she has a prolonged QT interval. She did not want to stop nor did I stop her medication but I did refer her to a cardiologist and they can discuss it. And yes the cardiologist was available and will see her next week.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
That's always how it works. You'll never see a dark green Chevy Tahoe. Dispatch broadcasts a BOLO for one and you'll see 15 in first 5 minutes
alittleright
Aggie Pharmer said:

Quote:

There is also the issue of the raw materials and the supply chain logistics
Post removed:
by user
Ranger222
AG
Wow listening to the Penn Medicine Coronavirus Seminar this afternoon and Sara Cherry at Penn says they have developed an in vitro model system to be able to screen drug candidates with FDA approved drugs and other drug libraries.

She showed primary results for Hydroxychloroquine vs Remdesivir in their system --

Both Chloroquine/Hydroxychoroquine have an IC50 of 5-20 uM in their in vitro system and DOES seem to reduce infection in their cell line of choice.

However Remdesivir has an IC50 < 1 uM, meaning it is far superior. However, as mentioned, as a nucleotide analog it would most likely need to be given soon after the initial infection, which at this time just wouldn't be practical.

They have tested all of the FDA approved drugs and hope to finish analysis this weekend. Will be screening other libraries soon.

They also in another study have patient blood samples and will be trying to determine viral load and other serological studies with those samples.
SmackDaddy
AG
There is no chance the FDA green lights production at a manufacturing facility without the proper protocols being followed.
Rapier108
Fauci once again keeps trying to put the brakes on hydroxychloroquine because he wants standard clinical trials to be conducted.

He just needs to shut up already. It's not like these are drugs still in phase 1 trials.

I swear if this guy had his way, we'd all be on a Wuhan Style Lock Down for 6-8 weeks and medication could only be used after the CDC, NIH, and FDA did 2 years of clinical trials.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Player To Be Named Later
AG
I'm split on Fauci. On one hand, he is a brilliant mind.... one of the best we have. On the other, he represents all of our bureaucratic red tape and inability to think outside the box and adapt, improvise, and overcome. He seems unwilling to do anything that isn't "the way we've always done it"
Exsurge Domine

I'm split on Fauci. On one hand, he is a brilliant mind.... one of the best we have. On the other, he represents all of our bureaucratic red tape and inability to think outside the box and adapt, improvise, and overcome. He seems unwilling to do anything that isn't "the way we've always done it"

Yeah I can see him watching someone on fire screaming for help and him saying "sorry, you're in the control group"
Rapier108

Very well said. I have no doubt the guy is a genius on the subject, but he is too damn rigid and devoted to the system.

The best doctors think outside the box when necessary, and when doing so, have made major breakthroughs.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Dad
AG
I don't like Fauci either.

I don't have a quote on him but he is helping drive the policy to lie to the American public about wearing masks. They knew that masks, if properly worn, would help reduce the spread and lied to us all like we were little kids that didn't deserve the truth. They could have said there is a shortage so try these other options instead of medical grade masks and it would have spread a lot less than it has.

Now he acts like a medicine that many doctors believe in should not be widely used until the pandemic is over and the bodies are piled up.

F him.
Exsurge Domine
aggie-beta said:

I don't like Fauci either.

I don't have a quote on him but he is helping drive the policy to lie to the American public about wearing masks. They knew that masks, if properly worn, would help reduce the spread and lied to us all like we were little kids that didn't deserve the truth. They could have said there is a shortage so try these other options instead of medical grade masks and it would have spread a lot less than it has.

Now he acts like a medicine that many doctors believe in should not be widely used until the pandemic is over and the bodies are piled up.

F him.

I don't understand that, it has never made sense . How would face coverings not help? The risk reward of using non-ppe fave coverings is off the chart. The risk being people look stupid wearing bandanas on their face, the reward being decreased spread. I don't get it

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.