Hydroxychloroquine...........

287,881 Views | 1854 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Jabin
Marcus Aurelius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41421-020-0156-0

Old antimalarial and RA drug. This and other, and a new study published today with viral clearance advantage. Although low #s. Inhibits viral cell entry somehow. It's on our hospital protocol first line for anyone needing supplemental O2. Exciting. Need to revamp production. Low side effects.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
FYI - Remdesivir. Gilead drug with small studies showing good COVID-19 efficacy, is available for compassionate usage. Not FDA approved. But obtainable. Our hospital currently mandating this drug for any intubated patients.
AvidAggie
AG
Gilead
Tx-Ag2010
AG
This is the best news I've heard all week. If this is true hopefully it will sure up the stock market and shorten all this chaos.
FTAG 2000
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41421-020-0156-0

Old antimalarial and RA drug. This and other, and a new study published today with survival advantage. Although low #s. Inhibits viral cell entry somehow. It's on our hospital protocol first line for anyone needing supplemental O2. Exciting. Need to revamp production. Low side effects.

Opens up the infected cells so zinc can get in and attack the virus and kill it. Read through a big study in South Korea, they're handing it out like candy over there.

Marcus Aurelius
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Predict the demand for hydrochloroquine will be overwhelming.
Johnny2Fan
Please be true.....
Marcus Aurelius
AG
In the small study they reported a 100% improvement in viral clearance. FWIW.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
How long will it take for Docs to bust through red tape and be able to use these treatments here in US? What is that process like?
Catag94
AG
Pharmacist I know are all over this and can't get it already. They are telling normal Plaquenil patients to call their doctors and get a new script because they will NOT get any more refills. So, it seems to be fairly substantiated in their world.
Catag94
AG
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/marybethpfeiffer/2020/03/18/science-works-to-use-old-cheap-drugs-to-attack-coronavirus--it-might-just-work/amp/
Marcus Aurelius
AG
It's on shelves. It will diminish. Why I pray Trump orders military re-tooling of big Pharma to make hydrochloroquine and redesimivir.
Exsurge Domine
This is even bigger

[url=https://ibb.co/XS6NPVD][/url]

https://www.mediterranee-infection.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Hydroxychloroquine_final_DOI_IJAA.pdf

HCQ plus Azithromyacin, 100% effective at 6 days
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Man hate to sabotage to "Aggie Revellie" thread re this. But - I believe the hydrochloroquine data. I recommend it. For anyone requiring supplemental O2. FYI for the million time I am a compassionate board certified pulm/CC doc.
94chem
Marcus Aurelius said:

It's on shelves. It will diminish. Why I pray Trump orders military re-tooling of big Pharma to make hydrochloroquine and redesimivir.

Big pharma not gonna be happy. Lotta people shoving their faces with funnel cakes won't be able to get their Zantac.
Buck Compton
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

Man hate to sabotage to "Aggie Revellie" thread re this. But - I believe the hydrochloroquine data. I recommend it. For anyone requiring supplemental O2. FYI for the million time I am a compassionate BCS pulm/CC doc.
Thanks.

I've been reading up a lot, but can you briefly explain the science behind this potentially working? Especially in combination with azithromyacin?
Madagascar
AG
Doesn't hydrochloroquine have really bad side effects though?

And if something like Remdesivir works well, why would you wait til a patient is intubated to use it? Wouldn't it be better to give it earlier before the viral load goes up?
94chem
Buck Compton said:

Marcus Aurelius said:

Man hate to sabotage to "Aggie Revellie" thread re this. But - I believe the hydrochloroquine data. I recommend it. For anyone requiring supplemental O2. FYI for the million time I am a compassionate BCS pulm/CC doc.
Thanks.

I've been reading up a lot, but can you briefly explain the science behind this potentially working? Especially in combination with azithromyacin?

Azithromycin? Is the pneumonia from secondary bacterial infection? Most docs get ticked if somebody suggests treating a viral infection with an antibiotic.
Exsurge Domine
Madagascar said:

Doesn't hydrochloroquine have really bad side effects though?

And if something like Remdesivir works well, why would you wait til a patient is intubated to use it? Wouldn't it be better to give it earlier before the viral load goes up?

Hcq is better treated than regular chloroquine it said
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Hydrochloroquine has essentially no side effects. Remdesivir - not alot of data. Anectodally - nothing . Contraindicated with increased LFTS.
Buck Compton
AG
94chem said:

Buck Compton said:

Marcus Aurelius said:

Thanks.

Azithromycin? Is the pneumonia from secondary bacterial infection? Most docs get ticked if somebody suggests treating a viral infection with an antibiotic.
That's why I asked. Look at the graph posted above. It states HCQ + Azithromycin
Pelayo
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

Yes
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CCMD
AG
What doses of the HQ and azithromycin would you use?
cisgenderedAggie
Marcus Aurelius said:

Hydrochloroquine has essentially no side effects. Remdesivir - not alot of data. Anectodally - nothing . Contraindicated with increased LFTS.

Hydroxychloroquine can cause irreversible retinal damage and sudden cardiac death.
PJYoung
AG
cisgenderedAggie said:

Marcus Aurelius said:

Hydroxychloroquine can cause irreversible retinal damage and sudden cardiac death.

Any idea how common that is?
PneumAg
Marcus Aurelius said:

No side effects? I've heard the polar opposite. Very wide range of possible serious side effects.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Disagree - respectfully. I have had extensive meetings with our pharmacy dept. The alternative id ritonavir combos with more serious side effects. HCQ is safest initial salvage COVID drug by far.
cisgenderedAggie
Common enough to be in the label. It's not to say this is t great news, but this is by no means a benign drug.
cisgenderedAggie
Safest is a relative statement, as in safer than something else. It's not got almost no side effects.
Exsurge Domine
cisgenderedAggie said:

Marcus Aurelius said:

It said those are rare and generally not applicable during a week regimen. This is on the list of essential medicines and is given to pregnant women with rheumatic disease.
94chem
cisgenderedAggie said:

Marcus Aurelius said:

Okay. So don't put it in your eye. Still need help with the cardiac death part.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Have yall reviewed the side effects of the other experimental COVID drugs? HCQ least of which IMO and most effective.
AvidAggie
AG
The fact that they are finding potential treatments are encouraging.

Who cares about the potential unlikely severe side effects if you are about to die from CV
wessimo
AG
5 liters of gin & tonic per day will work if you can't find the pills.

https://texags.com/forums/84/topics/3100837

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.