Hydroxychloroquine...........

297,455 Views | 1854 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Jabin
Pulmcrit_ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My anecdote of the day, had patient present who has lupus and is on plaquenil. Nasal swabs negative x3. Now intubated and tracheal aspirate sample is positive. Clearly has severe disease. Has been on 200mg bid plaquenil since 2017.
Infection_Ag11
AG
goodAg80 said:

I don't care what Trump said or didn't say.

I was initially super excited about the treatment. I even had the medication at home due to travel in risky medical areas.

But the results indicate it is at best marginal in its benefit. Maybe if you take it early it is better, but that isn't clear either. I don't think I will take it now. It has some uncomfortable side effects.

And this is the type of bold discussion we need to all be willing to engage in. We need to put aside what we want to be true and just look at the facts and let the science lead us where it does.

I'm willing to be wrong, admit I'm wrong and be happy we have a cheap effective therapy. Any doctor rooting for this to not work, in my opinion, doesn't deserve to call themselves a doctor. My concern is that most appear in our society appear dug in and more concerned with the political fallout of being wrong and admitting as much.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Pulmcrit_ag said:

My anecdote of the day, had patient present who has lupus and is on plaquenil. Nasal swabs negative x3. Now intubated and tracheal aspirate sample is positive. Clearly has severe disease. Has been on 200mg bid plaquenil since 2017.

I've had 6 patients so far on HCQ at baseline who came in with moderate to severe COVID-19. 3 did fine, just some O2 via NC and home in a few days, 1 needed HFNC, 2 got tubed with 1 recovering and 1 dying.

So I have no conclusions whatsoever to draw from that lol
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Pulmcrit_ag
Found the progression to severe disease without nasal swab being positive interesting
VaultingChemist
AG

Rachel 98
AG
Do we know what they mean by saying that these countries "adopted" HCQ? I wonder if they are using it on critical patients, all hospitalized patients, dispensing to all positives even when outpatient, or what.
VaultingChemist
AG
Rachel 98 said:

Do we know what they mean by saying that these countries "adopted" HCQ? I wonder if they are using it on critical patients, all hospitalized patients, dispensing to all positives even when outpatient, or what.
I believe that they dispense HCQ to all positives, as quickly as symptoms appear. Not sure about Russia.
74Ag1
AG
VaultingChemist said:

Thanks for posting
Maybe the key is get it early
Rachel 98
AG
VaultingChemist said:

Rachel 98 said:

I believe that they dispense HCQ to all positives, as quickly as symptoms appear. Not sure about Russia.

I wish we had that option here. Those charts sure are dramatic!
richardag
VaultingChemist said:

Thanks for posting, hope more information from other countries may be forthcoming.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
Dr. Maturin
Infection_Ag11 said:

Pulmcrit_ag said:

I've had 6 patients so far on HCQ at baseline who came in with moderate to severe COVID-19. 3 did fine, just some O2 via NC and home in a few days, 1 needed HFNC, 2 got tubed with 1 recovering and 1 dying.

So I have no conclusions whatsoever to draw from that lol

Did you give in conjunction with zinc?
culdeus
AG
Rachel 98 said:

You also have to understand what the recovered criteria is. Many countries just assume if you are alive 28 days after a positive you are recovered. Some are using 60. This is quite important.

My understanding is Texas is using 28 days after a positive test. No idea what France is doing.
End Of Message
AG
Trump just announced that he is currently taking HCQ...at least his doctor feels that it is appropriate.
goodAg80
AG
Pinche Abogado said:

Trump just announced that he is currently taking HCQ...at least his doctor feels that it is appropriate.
Why? Was he exposed?
End Of Message
AG
Prophylactic
Charpie
AG
That's what I'm wondering
goodAg80
AG
Most of these are very rare, but I would not take it unless I have a reason to.

Quote:

Hydroxychloroquine may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
  • headache
  • dizziness
  • loss of appetite
  • nausea
  • diarrhea
  • stomach pain
  • vomiting
  • rash
If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:
  • difficulty reading or seeing (words, letters, or parts of objects missing)
  • sensitivity to light
  • blurred vision
  • changes in vision
  • seeing light flashes or streaks
  • difficulty hearing
  • ringing in ears
  • muscle weakness
  • unusual bleeding or bruising
  • bleaching or loss of hair
  • mood or mental changes
  • irregular heartbeat
  • drowsiness
  • convulsions
  • decreased consciousness or loss of consciousness
  • thinking about harming or killing yourself

DadHammer
AG
If I could, I would take it for the next six months or so just to help me get over the infection when I do catch covid.

Thousands of people take it every day for years with very very low side effects. That's proof enough for me.

That's why it should be YOUR decision not anyone else's.

fullback44
AG
Pinche Abogado said:

yep, this will eventually come out that HCQ is an effective drug to treat this virus which has killed 1200 people in Texas yet the Flu has killed almost 7800 this season... bang the pot bang the pot

HCQ is the real deal
aginlakeway
AG
"A couple of weeks ago, I started taking it," Trump said. He later said he'd been taking it every day for a week and a half.
Pumpkinhead
AG
fullback44 said:

Pinche Abogado said:

yep, this will eventually come out that HCQ is an effective drug to treat this virus which has killed 1200 people in Texas yet the Flu has killed almost 7800 this season... bang the pot bang the pot

HCQ is the real deal

The flu has really killed 7800 in Texas alone already this season? Are you sure that number is accurate or that you remembered it correctly? Last flu season, only 34,200 deaths from the flu for the entire country were apparently recorded. So 7800 in Texas alone sounds pretty high and inaccurate, off-hand without seeing the source material.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html

Quote:

CDC estimates that influenza was associated with more than 35.5 million illnesses, more than 16.5 million medical visits, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths during the 2018-2019 influenza season.
jakeaggie84
AG
Think he did that just to blow the media's mind! Pretty funny. But think he is reaching if he thinks it might be a "preventative".

Picadillo
HCQ prescriptions in France have increased by 7000%. Not a typo. Used w zinc. Many countries using w great success. Frustrating our own medical community still clueless for the most part.
fullback44
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

fullback44 said:

Pinche Abogado said:

HCQ is the real deal

The flu has really killed 7800 in Texas alone already this season? Are you sure that number is accurate or that you remembered it correctly? Last flu season, only 34,200 deaths from the flu for the entire country were apparently recorded. So 7800 in Texas alone sounds pretty high and inaccurate, off-hand without seeing the source material.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html

Quote:

CDC estimates that influenza was associated with more than 35.5 million illnesses, more than 16.5 million medical visits, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths during the 2018-2019 influenza season.

YES, these are REAL numbers (FACTS) taken straight off of the Texas Department of Health Website (attached here for your review)

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/IDCU/disease/influenza/surveillance/2019-2020.aspx

Updated as of today: (these are facts taken directly off of the TDH site)

Covid Deaths 1349 (and counting)

Flu Deaths this season so far 2019-2020 7,565 deaths (and counting)

Flu Deaths 2018-2019 10,020 deaths

Flu Deaths 2017-2018 11,917 deaths

so looking back over the last three years, you are at this point 6 to 10 times more likely to die from the FLU than COVID at this point, you would need ALOT more Covid deaths to catch up to the flu average over the last years...

conclusion: lets see where these numbers end up, as of right now this is similar to the flu when you take deaths into account in Texas... even if you extrapolate the data, its not far off, but time will tell
TXAggie2011
AG
That's pneumonia or flu deaths. Not flu deaths.
fullback44
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

That's pneumonia or flu deaths. Not flu deaths.
lets play fare, how many covid deaths are from pneumonia also?

bottom line is the numbers are not adding up so far, at the hospitals, in the ER, or in the number of deaths...
TXAggie2011
AG
Edited to correct an error, but clarify and make the same point: If you'll take note, the number of P&I deaths growing and accelerate into February, March, and April...it was at 2650 to start February.

On May 5, it had reached 7,565.

And as the report says:
Quote:

*Deaths due to COVID-19 may be classified as pneumonia deaths or influenza deaths (deaths due to "flu" or "flu-like illness") in the absence of positive SARS-CoV-2 test result"
Marcus Aurelius
AG
It's actually pneumonia and influenza deaths. But a bit confusing

"Pneumonia and influenza (P&I) death data are obtained from death certificates of Texas residents whose underlying or contributing cause(s) of death is reported as pneumonia or influenza."

TXAggie2011
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

It's actually pneumonia and influenza deaths.
Are we saying the same thing in different ways? Example, the report itself exhibits the problem with the English language:

Quote:

Pneumonia and influenza (P&I) death data are obtained from death certificates of Texas residents whose underlying or contributing cause(s) of death is reported as pneumonia or influenza.
fullback44
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

If you'll take note, the number of P&I deaths on April 3 was only 2,650.

On May 5, it had reached 7,565.

And as the report says:
Quote:

*Deaths due to COVID-19 may be classified as pneumonia deaths or influenza deaths (deaths due to "flu" or "flu-like illness") in the absence of positive SARS-CoV-2 test result"

Fact is, Texas has reported almost twice as many deaths due to P&I in the past month as it did in the entirety of the preceding months of flu season.
so people are dying from normal influenza and pneumonia at a rate slightly less this year than in the 2017 and 2018 season, yet Covid is at 1349 and counting... much less than previous years for influenza and pneumonia...

in the end of all of this, the numbers will not lie, they will tell what is really happening (ie no MEDIA involved in the real numbers)

Marcus Aurelius
AG
That needs to be clarified. Lumping pneumonia OR flu deaths together makes no sense. In tracking flu death rates. Obviously basic pneumonia not associated with flu is much more prevalent. Now pneumonia AND influenza deaths stat is very important. Because all flu deaths are associated with superimposed pneumonia.
TXAggie2011
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

That needs to be clarified. Lumping pneumonia OR flu deaths together makes no sense. In tracking flu death rates. Obviously basic pneumonia not associated with flu is much more prevalent. Now pneumonia AND influenza deaths is very important. Because all flu deaths are associated with superimposed pneumonia.
Reporting in Texas is confused by legal issues, among other issues, and why you should never read that single line of the report in isolation to understand the flu in Texas.

But back to HCQ...
TXAggie2011
AG
Eh. Not worth derailing the thread.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
I haven't looked in a while, but I haven't seen any new publications of HCQ usage trials within 48 hrs of symptoms. Surprised this hasn't been completed yet.
Alf83
AG
MN study done and will report in a couple of weeks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.