Hydroxychloroquine...........

297,439 Views | 1854 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Jabin
Not a Bot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Problem with no control group is you don't know whether these folks would have gotten better anyway. Nothing wrong with trying as long as not doing harm.
Reveille
AG
aggiegolfer03 said:

So what is being done for patients who show enough symptoms to present a flu like illness, enough that they'd normally end up at their family doctor?

Because as you said, I would think THAT would be the time for seeing improved outcomes from HCL treatment.
For me if they are positive for COVID-19 we are having the discussion via a video visit about the risks and benefits of trying the treatment. If they have risk factors for possible severe disease and they have not yet been tested I will give them the option of treatment as long as there is no known complications to treatment.

I had a lady last week who has many risk factors obesity, DM type 2, HTN, Hyperlipidemia, and COPD. However, she had a slightly prolonged QT on her last physical in Sept 2019. I told her I was nervous about treating her but she wanted to be treated. I faxed her EKG to the cardiologist I use and we discussed the case. He said the Z-pak is actually more prone to QT prolongation and arrhythmia then the HCQ so we decided to treat her with HCQ/Doxycycline and she is doing fine.

I do think we as primary care doctors have got to be aggressive at treating this early so we don't have as many admissions to the hospital. If you don't want to use HCQ such as a healthy 30 y/o you appears to have possible COVID. There risk of hospitalization is low but I still tell them to take Zinc 50mg per day, Quercetin 1g 2 po BID, Vitamin C 500mg to 1g per day and melatonin 10mg at night.

I am not alone with this thinking. Here is a link to a critical care doctor recommending similar supplements. He also recommends Vitamin D which I am hesitant to recommend unless you are deficient since Vitamin D can increase some cytokines. Which is normally great for protection from infection but since this disease does it's damage with cytokine storm I am not using it unless someone is low to start with.
https://www.evms.edu/media/evms_public/departments/internal_medicine/EVMS_Critical_Care_COVID-19_Protocol.pdf

I am using these supplements in small doses for prevention also.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DadHammer
AG
Do you have a web link for a video visit apt if my wife or I get sick? We definitely want to use the HCQ and Zpac.

Both healthy and do ekg yearly during our health exams. Also we are doing your recommended vitamin dosing you just listed. Both well over 40 yrs old.
Reveille
AG
DadHammer said:

Do you have a web link for a video visit apt if my wife or I get sick? We definitely want to use the HCQ and Zpac.

Both healthy and do ekg yearly during our health exams. Also we are doing your recommended vitamin dosing you just listed. Both well over 40 yrs old.
www.drcoates.net

You should contact your primary care physician and you can see what his or her stance is also. But if not I would be happy to treat you.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Infection_Ag11
AG
74Ag1 said:

When does an unproven drug that works become proven?
We don't know it works yet, that's the point. Right now all we have are a lot of anecdotal reports both that it works and that it doesn't.

As others have pointed out though, there are quite a few pre-print articles circulating that are awaiting peer review and nearly all are showing no statistical benefit.
74Ag1
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

74Ag1 said:

We don't know it works yet, that's the point. Right now all we have are a lot of anecdotal reports both that it works and that it doesn't.

As others have pointed out though, there are quite a few pre-print articles circulating that are awaiting peer review and nearly all are showing no statistical benefit.

So do you prescribe it if it shows no benefit?
Maybe you should Stop using it if you don't think it works.
HouAggie2007
Strawman
Infection_Ag11
AG
74Ag1 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

74Ag1 said:

So do you prescribe it if it shows no benefit?
Maybe you should Stop using it if you don't think it works.

Again, we don't know if it has benefit or not yet. I'm more selective than many, but yes I'm prescribing it. I don't know if it works or not but I am maintaining a healthy degree of skepticism.

I will say that, based on the mechanism proposed and the known effects of HCQ, the chance of statistically significant benefit seems somewhat unlikely. My anecdotal sense (no more valid than any other) is that I haven't seen it provide much benefit in my patients. On the flip side, the IL-6 inhibitors do anecdotally seem to help quite a bit in moderate to severe disease.
Not a Bot
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

74Ag1 said:

Curious if those studies are skewing more to sicker patients. The initial push was to use this in hospitals. Would make sense if not working at more advanced stages.

My concern is that it may be effective in keeping cases out of the hospital if started early and we aren't studying it enough for that purpose.
Infection_Ag11
AG
HouAggie2007 said:

Strawman

The science itself takes a back seat to other concerns for many people.
Big Al 1992
AG
Reveille said:

DadHammer said:

www.drcoates.net

You should contact your primary care physician and you can see what his or her stance is also. But if not I would be happy to treat you.

Another TexAg connection!
Infection_Ag11
AG
Moxley said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

74Ag1 said:

Curious if those studies are skewing more to sicker patients. The initial push was to use this in hospitals. Would make sense if not working at more advanced stages.

My concern is that it may be effective in keeping cases out of the hospital if started early and we aren't studying it enough for that purpose.

It will be looked at every which way imaginable before it's over.
DadHammer
AG
Thx
74Ag1
AG
"For Charles Vavruska, it was nothing short of a miracle cure.

Days after the 53-year-old City Council staffer arrived at New York Presbyterian-Queens hospital barely able to breathe and tested positive for COVID-19, doctors started him on the controversial drug cocktail of hydroxychloroquine, an anti-malarial, and azithromycin, an antibiotic.

Although Vavruska said he felt almost immediately better, he wishes the urgent-care doctor he went to see in the early days of his flu-like symptoms in mid-March could have prescribed a similar treatment before he grew progressively worse and ended up in a hospital room, hooked up to an oxygen tank and fighting for his life."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/04/11/doctors-pols-urge-use-of-miracle-coronavirus-drug-cocktail/amp/
Infection_Ag11
AG
74Ag1 said:

"Days after the 53-year-old City Council staffer arrived at New York Presbyterian-Queens hospital barely able to breathe and tested positive for COVID-19, doctors started him on the controversial drug cocktail of hydroxychloroquine, an anti-malarial, and azithromycin, an antibiotic.

Although Vavruska said he felt almost immediately better, he wishes the urgent-care doctor he went to see in the early days of his flu-like symptoms in mid-March could have prescribed a similar treatment before he grew progressively worse and ended up in a hospital room, hooked up to an oxygen tank and fighting for his life."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/04/11/doctors-pols-urge-use-of-miracle-coronavirus-drug-cocktail/amp/

Again, it's just an anecdote. There's no evidence here at all. We have no idea what would have happened had he received no treatment at all or treatment much sooner.
74Ag1
AG
I got it you don't like it
It's akin to a sugar pill
Infection_Ag11
AG
74Ag1 said:

I got it you don't like it
It's akin to a sugar pill

As I've said many times before, I genuinely hope it works. To hope otherwise would be irrational for someone in my line of work. I do not however have a preconception for which I'm trying to cherry-pick data to fit. This is because my motivation for hoping it works isn't political, I'm not trying to score points and "beat" the other team. I want something I can give to patients and know there is evidence that it will consistently offer benefit.

I don't know what your motivation for wanting it to work is, but we should probably get that out of the way now. If this is only about beating the liberals, then we really have nothing else to discuss. In that case you aren't here to learn and I have bigger concerns than which political team wins. If you genuinely believe that constitutes evidence however, I'm only trying to temper your misguided enthusiasm by assuring you it does not.

Have a good evening
goodAg80
AG
To all of the doctors posting here:

Please ignore the snarky and complaining posters who criticize without understanding. Most of us are extremely grateful to get an insider view of what is going on with the disease and understand that we are a long ways away from mastering it.

Thank you very much for your postings.
74Ag1
AG
My motivation is not political you brought that up.

My motivation is finding something that works that stops this virus, saves lives and gets us all back to normal ASAP.

Thanks you have a good night too and keep up the good work.
Rapier108
Treated with hydroxychloroquine and the azithromycin.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/coronavirus-update-102-year-old-woman-defies-odds-to-beat-covid-19-doctor-calls-recovery-miraculous/ar-BB12ugyu
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Reveille
AG
Today's update! Happy Easter to everyone!

https://www.facebook.com/1998386763777604/posts/2667205700229037/?sfnsn=mo

74Ag1
AG
Thanks
Happy Easter to you too Doc
"Love one another as I have loved you"
culdeus
AG
I can't recall a single research article that is showing this HCQ+Zpak thing showing momentum in at least two weeks, and if anything the momentum is negative with the french studies and data being pulled.

This is very difficult to google as HCQ links take you quickly to conspiracy sites and the bad corners of the internet. The most recent, semi-reliable news report I can find on this at all is here:

I'm getting the sense this is a placebo type bust. Which isn't awful, maybe it's not quite as virulent as first thought and a medicine isn't really needed to get things to a decent survivable rate?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-macron-doctor/macron-visits-marseille-doctor-working-on-covid-19-drug-touted-by-trump-idUSKCN21R36R

[Dr. Didier Raoult's] research team has published data showing that out of 80 mild COVID-19 patients treated with hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin, 93 percent had no detectable levels of the virus after eight days.

Doctors have questioned the value of the Marseille study and several papers from China on the same treatment as being too small or poorly designed to offer hard evidence of benefit.
Most do not compare outcomes of patients who received the malaria therapies with people who did not, considered the most reliable measure of a drug's effectiveness.
Last week, doctors in Paris reported that they tried to replicate the results of the Marseille study and failed.
DadHammer
AG
All I know is most Dr around the world are using it and say it is working. You need to read his study on over 1000 patients with great results.
Ranger222
AG
Here is where the answers will come:

Patch Study

Quote:

Due to the recent outbreak of COVID-19, efforts are being made to find a possible treatment for people who have the virus and to prevent health care workers exposed to people who are contagious from getting the virus.

The information learned from this study will help the FDA determine if Hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) is helpful in treating and/or preventing COVID-19.

Double blinded, placebo controlled study enrolling 500 patients. Data expected end of April / early May with current enrollment numbers.
Infection_Ag11
AG
DadHammer said:

All I know is most Dr around the world are using it and say it is working. You need to read his study on over 1000 patients with great results.

Most are using it, but to say most are saying it works is very misleading. The anecdotal reports are very much a mixed bag.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Ranger222 said:

Here is where the answers will come:

Patch Study

Quote:

Due to the recent outbreak of COVID-19, efforts are being made to find a possible treatment for people who have the virus and to prevent health care workers exposed to people who are contagious from getting the virus.

The information learned from this study will help the FDA determine if Hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) is helpful in treating and/or preventing COVID-19.

Double blinded, placebo controlled study enrolling 500 patients. Data expected end of April / early May with current enrollment numbers.

Looking forward to the results
DadHammer
AG
There was a worldwide poll that says they do. Not me saying it so not being misleading. Look it up.
BeowulfShaeffer
AG
No offense, but this is anecdote on top of anecdote. If you are establishing this as your case, then it's up to you to bring the citation. You can't offload "look it up" onto those with whom you seem to disagree.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
DadHammer said:

There was a worldwide poll that says they do. Not me saying it so not being misleading. Look it up.
No there isn't. I know the poll you think you are citing; however, the results are actually that 37% picked HCQ out of a list of medications as the most effective. 32% Said that "nothing" was the most effective treatment. Nevertheless, this is not how treatment efficacy is determined.
Infection_Ag11
AG
DadHammer said:

That's not accurate, unless there's a large international poll I'm unaware of. One large poll showed 65% of physicians polled would use it or are using it (saying nothing about whether they felt it worked) and in another it got the most votes from a list of therapies when asked what they felt was the most effective therapy (33% if I recall correctly).

Neither of those could be reasonably be taken to mean "most physicians say it is working".
culdeus
AG
DadHammer said:

What in the world are you talking about? a worldwide poll?
Rapier108
South Dakota to test coronavirus treatment in first statewide clinical trial

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/coronavirus-hydroxychloroquine-south-dakota-kristi-noem
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Charpie
AG
You made the statement. Since you read it, it should be easy to link.
nortex97
AG
Interesting piece:

Quote:

In 2005, an article was published in Virology Journal titled "Chloroquine is a potent inhibitor of SARS coronavirus infection and spread. The eight authors were associated with the Centers for Disease Control and Montreal's Clinical Research Institute. The study described in the article was conducted in the wake of the SARS epidemic:
Quote:

Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) is caused by a newly discovered coronavirus (SARS-CoV). No effective prophylactic or post-exposure therapy is currently available.

We report, however, that chloroquine has strong antiviral effects on SARS-CoV infection of primate cells. These inhibitory effects are observed when the cells are treated with the drug either before or after exposure to the virus, suggesting both prophylactic and therapeutic advantage. In addition to the well-known functions of chloroquine such as elevations of endosomal pH, the drug appears to interfere with terminal glycosylation of the cellular receptor, angiotensin-converting enzyme 2. This may negatively influence the virus-receptor binding and abrogate the infection, with further ramifications by the elevation of vesicular pH, resulting in the inhibition of infection and spread of SARS CoV at clinically admissible concentrations.

Like COVID-19, SARS was a coronavirus. The article concluded:
Quote:

Chloroquine is effective in preventing the spread of SARS CoV in cell culture. Favorable inhibition of virus spread was observed when the cells were either treated with chloroquine prior to or after SARS CoV infection. In addition, the indirect immunofluorescence assay described herein represents a simple and rapid method for screening SARS-CoV antiviral compounds.
Note that this study found chloroquine to be effective prophylactically, as well as as a treatment. The drug should have been on CDC's radar from the beginning.

The site from which I linked to the 2005 study also quoted this comment on an InstaPundit post:
Quote:

As most know, the media/Democrat politicians/FDA want the use of the hydroxychloroquine/azithromycin/zinc combination to be restricted until late in the course of the infection, when the patient's infection is well-advanced. As a physician, this baffles me. I can't think of a single infectious condition bacterial, fungal, or viral where the best medical treatment is to delay the use of a anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, or anti-viral until the infection is far advanced.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.