Gin & Tonic keeps the COVID-19 away?

4,144 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Irwin M. Fletcher
wessimo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good news!

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/03/17/an-effective-treatment-for-coronavirus-covid-19-has-been-found-in-a-common-anti-malarial-drug/

Quote:

Summary

Recent guidelines from South Korea and China report that chloroquine is an effective antiviral therapeutic treatment against Coronavirus Disease 2019. Use of chloroquine (tablets) is showing favorable outcomes in humans infected with Coronavirus including faster time to recovery and shorter hospital stay. US CDC research shows that chloroquine also has strong potential as a prophylactic (preventative) measure against coronavirus in the lab, while we wait for a vaccine to be developed. Chloroquine is an inexpensive, globally available drug that has been in widespread human use since 1945 against malaria, autoimmune and various other conditions.
AggieBaseball06
AG
There was a doctor on TexAgs yesterday saying that the side effects of that drug are pretty brutal and it's being used when someone is already in pretty bad shape.
NASAg03
The amount in tonic is minimal and not effective..
texaggie90
AG
Not true. My wife has Lupus and takes this drug every day. It's the most common initial treatment for lupus patients to keep the disease under control. It works extremely well doing so. Has minimal side effects. Wife has more vivid dreams and restless sleep but that's been it.
agsalaska
AG
NASAg03 said:

What if it was replaced with Vodka.

Asking for a friend.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
G Martin 87
AG
Made some Gibsons tonight. If the gin doesn't kill the virus, maybe the pickled cocktail onions will.
Cowboy bob
Sheeeeiiiitttt! I'm gonna live to be 130
Swarely
I have reactions to mefloquine. Would I have reactions to this as well? Serious question.
eric76
AG
AggieBaseball06 said:

There was a doctor on TexAgs yesterday saying that the side effects of that drug are pretty brutal and it's being used when someone is already in pretty bad shape.
When my oldest brother was in Viet Nam, they had to take some anti-malarial on a regular basis. I don't know what anti-malarial it was, but I know that nobody liked taking it.
Snap E Tom
AggieBaseball06 said:

"The most common adverse effects are a mild nausea and occasional stomach cramps with mild diarrhea. The most serious adverse effects affect the eye."

"People taking 400 mg of hydroxychloroquine or less per day generally have a negligible risk of macular toxicity, whereas the risk begins to go up when a person takes the medication over 5 years or has a cumulative dose of more than 1000 grams."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroxychloroquine#Eyes

The treatment protocol for COVID-19 is 5-10 days. It's all moot anyway because the FDA hasn't approved its use for COVID-19 yet, last I heard.
Rock Too
AG
Snap E Tom said:

AggieBaseball06 said:

"The most common adverse effects are a mild nausea and occasional stomach cramps with mild diarrhea. The most serious adverse effects affect the eye."

"People taking 400 mg of hydroxychloroquine or less per day generally have a negligible risk of macular toxicity, whereas the risk begins to go up when a person takes the medication over 5 years or has a cumulative dose of more than 1000 grams."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroxychloroquine#Eyes

The treatment protocol for COVID-19 is 5-10 days. It's all moot anyway because the FDA hasn't approved its use for COVID-19 yet, last I heard.
My reaction was more severe....couldn't sleep and literally started going a little crazy....on edge all the time. I quit it thinking malaria would be easier to deal with than the side effects of that drug. Doc thought I might be allergic to it
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
NASAg03 said:

So you're saying we need to drink more gin & tonics. got it. thanks for the tip
wessimo
AG
BlackGoldAg2011 said:

NASAg03 said:

Google says 83 milligrams per liter. So about five liters of G&T a day should be therapeutic.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
that does seem like it would likely be effective in keeping COVID-19 away. I mean, you can't catch it if you're dead...
agsalaska
AG
wessimo said:

BlackGoldAg2011 said:

NASAg03 said:

Google says 83 milligrams per liter. So about five liters of G&T a day should be therapeutic.
Gee doc I dont know if I can handle that.

Is it OK if I switch it to Vodka?
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Irwin M. Fletcher
AG

You really think that we are going to wait for FDA approval to try various drugs? Doctors use drugs off label all the time for many issues.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.