2022 SEC Baseball Tournament:

131,634 Views | 1532 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by LOYAL AG
Wicked Good Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You do not need everyone at the tourney. When we go to 16 honestly top 12 is still good

It will just be a better tourney in terms of tougher teams
Keegan99
AG
The SEC will not want a substantial likelihood of a bubble or NCAA tourney team not playing in the conference tournament.

The motivating factor for the tourney is not to be "tough". It is, in large part, to give those bubble teams an opportunity to make their case.
Wicked Good Ag
The 15th team in a 16 team conference will likely not get in at all

A 16 team conference may get 13 teams at best but doubtful.

ACC is 15 teams. The ACC conference tourney is the best way to go to get 12/15 teams included, give advantages for regular season, allowing bubble teams to make their case and also to not tax a pitching staff. 6 to 7 games is way too many for a conference tourney but that is what Florida will have correct ??

ACC model is max of four games. Only thing I would do differently is move the site around but that is because I think Hoover isn't a good facility at all for this. Plenty of minor league stadiums in the SEC footprint to rotate every two or three years.
Keegan99
AG
Four, four-team pools with single elimination for the pool winners is a max of 5 games, but every team gets 3 games.
TXAggie2011
AG
Keegan99 said:

Four, four-team pools with single elimination for the pool winners is a max of 5 games, but every team gets 3 games.
A logistical challenge there is that's what, 27 total games? They'd need two stadiums for that.
dabo man
AG
And I don't think it's realistic to have simultaneous tournaments for a non-revenue sport.
BeowulfShaeffer
AG
If you keep it at 12 making the conference tournament, then I think pool play is best. Everyone is guaranteed 2 games, the winner/runner up is at most 4, you're done in 15 rather than 17 games, and everyone is fresh for the NCAAs.
Wicked Good Ag
Keegan99 said:

So in a 16 team conference if two teams are say 5-25 and 8-22 then they deserve to get into the tourney?? not a chance then the regular season matters very little
jkag89
Don't disagree with any of this except pool play is a completely unsatisfying manner in which to determine your league champion.
Wicked Good Ag
jkag89 said:

Don't disagree with any of this except pool play is a completely unsatisfying manner in which to determine your league champion.
I disagree

better than a single elimination changed to a psudo double elimination back to single

dabo man
AG
Quote:

I don't disagree with this at all. I just see pool play as the only reasonable solution to a large tournament in a non-revenue sport being played in a wet Spring climate.
Keegan99
AG
jkag89 said:

The SEC Tournament Champion is not the League Champion.

Wicked Good Ag
Put TAMU aside

if you were a fan of a team that wasnt top 4 would you rather go to Charlotte and be guarenteed two games
or Hoover and be guarenteed one game

Regardless that Truist Field is one of the better minor league fields around and even if move from Hoover it is better fan experience IMO

to the point if i go to a conference tourney in next two years ACC will be my choice ...solid conference and experience much better than Hoover from everyone i have heard from

and the Golf in the Carolinas would be great side trip if i care to miss a game or two
Keegan99
AG
As for the number of teams in the tourney in a 16-team SEC. The SEC is not the ACC. The ACC has had *one* CWS Champion in the last half century. The SEC has had... a lot. Especially when you add the sips to the mix.

The following SEC programs don't have a strong commitment to baseball:

Mizzou
Maaaaaaybe Kentucky

That's it. Every other team in the league is sinking resources into the sport and is cultivating the expectation of making the NCAA Tournament.

Leaving 1/4 of the league out of the conference tourney isn't going to fly.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Hoover sucks, stadium is high school

Nashville is excellent
Atlanta is excellent
Hoover awful
LatinAggie1997
AG
Meh...nobody will agree with me and that's completely acceptable..

My SEC tournament would only include the top 5 teams from each division. The division winners get a bye. Single elimination.

West

Gm 1. 2 v 5
Gm 2. 3 v 4
Gm 3. G1W v G2W
Gm 4. DivW v GM3W
Gm 5. WestW v EastW = (Champ)

jkag89
Wicked Good Ag said:

jkag89 said:

I disagree

better than a single elimination changed to a psudo double elimination back to single
Not from a competitive stand point. As much as it sucks to be eliminated in the semis with only one lost (and it has happened to the Aggies three times: '15.'18, '22) it still better than the meaningless games (those games that no longer have any bearing on who wins the tourney champ) one gets in pool play.
jkag89
Keegan99 said:

jkag89 said:

It is the champion recognized by the league. Still I will reword it, it is a completely unsatisfying manner in which to determine the league's automatic bid.
jkag89
dabo man said:

Quote:

I don't disagree with this at all. I just see pool play as the only reasonable solution to a large tournament in a non-revenue sport being played in a wet Spring climate.

I understand the advantages of pool play from a logistics standpoint. It still sucks from a competitive one..
Keegan99
AG
jkag89 said:

Keegan99 said:

jkag89 said:

Don't disagree with any of this except pool play is a completely

It is the champion recognized by the league. Still I will reword it, it is a completely unsatisfying manner in which to determine the league's automatic bid.

The automatic bid aspect is really of no consideration.

From the standpoint of the league, the championship game itself has little importance. That's not to say it's not important for the schools or players participating in any given year, but it's not really a major motivation for the tournament.
NorCal
Mark Fairchild said:

The clothing that we wore during the last game of the Ole Miss series, has been unwashed and worn during the games of the SEC tournament. My wife's dad was a baseball coach and she was well trained in the superstitions of baseball. I pretty much do what she advises. Tomorrow it will be a marriage of 50 years, so it's worked pretty well.

Happy Anniversary! That's an amazing accomplishment and truly inspiring!
The Debt
16 team single elimination conference tourney seems fair

That's 15 games. Win 4 straight to win the tourney.
jkag89
Keegan99 said:

jkag89 said:

Keegan99 said:

jkag89 said:

Don't disagree with any of this except pool play is a completely

The automatic bid aspect is really of no consideration.

From the standpoint of the league, the championship game itself has little importance. That's not to say it's not important for the schools or players participating in any given year, but it's not really a major motivation for the tournament.
I realize all that. It still does not overcome that pool play sucks from a competitive standpoint.
jkag89
The Debt said:

16 team single elimination conference tourney seems fair

That's 15 games. Win 4 straight to win the tourney.
Nope
The Debt
If this year was single elimination, florida would have been gone after we run ruled em.
W
AG
W said:

UH will play for the AAC autobid tomorrow.

right now...there are 7 Texas teams set for the postseason:

A&M, Tech, TCU, t.u., TxSt, DBU, and UTSA --- Coogs will try to make it 8
East Carolina wins the AAC and knocks out the Coogs.

this opens the door for an out-of-state team to be the 3-seed in College Station (or Austin)
MagnumLoad
The current tournament does not really identify the league champion IMO. It may this year with UT, but no way Kentucky should be in the conversation. If the purpose of the tournament is to determine the league champion, take the winners of the divisions and play 2 out of 3, or if that is deemed too restrictive and not cash generating enough, take the top 2 from each division and play a double elimination tournament like a regional. But 12 teams don't get a chance at a trophy they don't deserve. Darn!
I hate tu. It's in my blood.
dermdoc
AG
As usual, Florida has a ton of pitching.

And I really dislike Greg Sankey.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Wicked Good Ag
MagnumLoad said:

The current tournament does not really identify the league champion IMO. It may this year with UT, but no way Kentucky should be in the conversation. If the purpose of the tournament is to determine the league champion, take the winners of the divisions and play 2 out of 3, or if that is deemed too restrictive and not cash generating enough, take the top 2 from each division and play a double elimination tournament like a regional. But 12 teams don't get a chance at a trophy they don't deserve. Darn!
No one will consider Florida to be the SEC Champion of this baseball season if they win this game that is currently tied...(ok maybe Florida will)

Tennessee will be who everyone remembers for this 2022 season

They just has Stankey on and he was correct in saying the balance of arms and field are important for tourney play

Single elimination sucks because one bad game shouldnt end a season but no matter what all tourneys end up being single elimination at some point

How you decide how you make 12 teams down to 4 is what people will debate

Hoover for one game possibly is not fun to me even if we are the best conference in the nation
HoustonAg2106
AG
MagnumLoad said:

The regular season division championships are a bigger accomplishment than the conference tournament and that will be reflected by the committee. The conference tournament is an opportunity for teams like Kentucky and Alabama to get into the tournament when they otherwise would not. It keeps the regular season interesting all the way to the last weekend when Kentucky, Alabama, Missouri, and Mississippi State were all fighting for a chance to make the conference tournament.
MagnumLoad
A four team double elim would be more than one game.
I hate tu. It's in my blood.
gougler08
AG
Florida guy has doubled his innings for the season and not given up a run to the best offense in the country. Makes sense
dermdoc
AG
gougler08 said:

Florida guy has doubled his innings for the season and not given up a run to the best offense in the country. Makes sense

It is amazing the pitching talent Florida has every year.
I would not be surprised at all if they made it to Omaha.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
RED AG 98
AG
Seemingly endless supply of 6' 5"+ dudes at the ready. It's amazing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.