2022 SEC Baseball Tournament:

130,763 Views | 1532 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by LOYAL AG
swimmerbabe11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
they pretty nervous

let's go wildcats.
I hope this conference season isn't foreshadowing ncaa tourney
swimmerbabe11
that rolled ankle hurt to watch

tied game now. let's go
swimmerbabe11
tied at 2 going into the stretch
agsalaska
AG
The SEC rocks.

Go Kentucky!!!
BadMoonRisin
swimmerbabe11
no change, 8th starting up
swimmerbabe11
Tennessee trying to see who was running from the bullpen looked like me trying to read a menu board at a restaurant counter I've never been to
dabo man
AG
Tennessee might be about to bust this open.

Bases loaded with 1 out

Tenn 2
Kentucky 2
------------------
Top 8
swimmerbabe11
I blame the announcers continously saying that Kentucky is playing with house money
swimmerbabe11
hbp brings a run home, then wild pitch brings another. intentional walk reloads the bases.

hit up middle brings two more home, the out at the plate is under review. (edit: confirmed)

6-2
dabo man
AG
Tennessee 6
Kentucky 2
-------------
Mid 8
DGrimesAg92
This one's over UT and UF tomorrow……should be the Ags, but that's baseball.
swimmerbabe11
going into 9th now.

Kentucky got a runner all the way to third but couldn't bring him home.
swimmerbabe11
Kentucky catcher really has been working hard
dabo man
AG
Agreed. And he stops another as I write that.
MSFC Aggie
AG
Kentucky imploding
dabo man
AG
Quote:

Kentucky imploding
Me too. Going to be tough to stay awake through the end of 9.
swimmerbabe11
8-2 pitching change and my eyelids getting heavy
dabo man
AG
In an unexpected twist, Florida man is in to pitch for Kentucky.

tonytx05
AG
Hello squirrels, goodnight everyone else.
swimmerbabe11
12-2
agcrock2005
AG
I'm sure this has been discussed but I couldn't quickly find it. Why were we eliminated with just one loss? Thought it was double elimination tournament. Have something to do with all the rain on Thursday?
jkag89
It is simply how the SEC decided to set up its tournament. It allows a 12 team tournament without excessively taxing the participants pitching staffs.
Keegan99
AG
agcrock2005 said:

I'm sure this has been discussed but I couldn't quickly find it. Why were we eliminated with just one loss? Thought it was double elimination tournament. Have something to do with all the rain on Thursday?

It's to limit the number of games a team potentially has to play. Florida will be playing their 7th game in 6 days today. That's already excessive for a college team.

The tourney is setup to give bubble teams an opportunity to claim their bids and strong teams the opportunity up improve their standing, without exhausting any team prior to regionals.
PJYoung
AG
Keegan99 said:

agcrock2005 said:

It's to limit the number of games a team potentially has to play. Florida will be playing their 7th game in 6 days today. That's already excessive for a college team.

The tourney is setup to give bubble teams an opportunity to claim their bids and strong teams the opportunity up improve their standing, without exhausting any team prior to regionals.
I've always thought it was a genius setup.
AgE2theBONE
AG
PJYoung said:

Keegan99 said:

agcrock2005 said:

I definitely respect you and your opinion, but I must disagree.

It doesn't feel right that a team should be able to take a loss prior to the semifinals, then eliminate a zero-loss team in one game.

I'd prefer we reduce the number of teams in the tourney and make the whole thing double elimination. Or keep it at 12 teams and make the whole thing single elimination.

But I realize the goal here is to possibly get another SEC team into the 64-team field via the autobid, so I'm not likely to get my way.
RED AG 98
AG
AgE2theBONE said:

PJYoung said:

Keegan99 said:

agcrock2005 said:

It doesn't feel right that a team should be able to take a loss prior to the semifinals, then eliminate a zero-loss team in one game.

I'd prefer we reduce the number of teams in the tourney and make the whole thing double elimination. Or keep it at 12 teams and make the whole thing single elimination.

But I realize the goal here is to possibly get another SEC team into the 64-team field via the autobid, so I'm not likely to get my way.
Reducing the teams harms the SEC bubble teams. They can't play their way into the tourney sitting at home. I don't see that happening.
dabo man
AG
I think ACC-style pod play is the only way to go for a 12 team tournament.
AgE2theBONE
AG
RED AG 98 said:

AgE2theBONE said:

PJYoung said:

Keegan99 said:

agcrock2005 said:

Reducing the teams harms the SEC bubble teams. They can't play their way into the tourney sitting at home. I don't see that happening.

I know, that's exactly what I said in that last sentence. So I agree with you completely.
AgE2theBONE
AG
dabo man said:

How does that work?
DeangeloVickers
AG
AgE2theBONE said:

dabo man said:

How does that work?
https://theacc.com/news/2022/5/22/schedule-set-for-2022-acc-baseball-championship.aspx

I think the best part of the ACC tourney for them is the bottom teams, play the top teams and that helps boost the RPI of those lower teams win or lose. Guaranteed two games for everyone too
dabo man
AG
It works like this:
https://theacc.com/news/2022/5/22/schedule-set-for-2022-acc-baseball-championship.aspx

Truth be told, I like the idea of the brackets we have now, but it's just completely impractical to have a 12 team conference tournament in a wet Spring climate, and use brackets.

EDIT - Once we're a 16 team conference, if we have 4 pods of 4, then I think this format becomes a no-brainer, with the top 3 teams from each pod making the conference tournament.
RED AG 98
AG
My bad I did miss that. I agree. Thanks for the respectful rebuff
PJYoung
AG
This discussion is much too polite for the internet.
Keegan99
AG
Nah, for a 16-team conference, especially one like the new SEC, it's possible the league gets 12+ bids.

(The ACC is likely to get 11 bids this year.)

Based on what we know about football scheduling, it's also not likely that the SEC goes with any sort of "pod" scheduling for the regular season.

A conference tourney with four, four-team pools, with the winners advancing to a four-team, single-elimination bracket works.

Every team gets 3 games. No team gets more than 5 games.

The only issue is the pool play requires 24 total games, so a second stadium would be necessary.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.