***Official Aggies vs. 2018 MLB Draft Thread***

46,087 Views | 246 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Aggie1205
Mr.Ackar07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Updated Kilkenny. Still waiting on Naylor, Helman, and Kolek.

Nolan Hoffman has already started his professional career. He allowed 1 run on 2 hits with 1 strikeout in 1 inning of work.
dirkjones
AG
Kolek signed a few weeks ago for very little. I'm told Mitchell signed for slot value.
Foxo
AG
Mitchell Kilkenny @mr_mitches Jun 23

Officially a Colorado Rockie! Endless thanks to the @Rockies and the @12thMan for all the opportunities and support. #gigem

Mr.Ackar07
https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2018/06/ethan_hankins_cleveland_indian.html

Quote:

The Indians' first two picks were high school players - catcher Noah "Bo" Naylor and Hankins. They have yet to sign either one and the deadline is July 6.
Quote:

The Indians' bonus pool for signing the players they took in the first 10 rounds was $9,145,200. They have about $5 million left to sign Naylor, Hankins and Kwan.

I'm sure Bo will sign, but it's interesting that the Indians are having some holdouts.
OKCAGS
I find it interesting that Helman has not signed yet . Maybe sitting back and watching some of the Seniors at the CWS is giving him pause . It is not like he is looking at some huge signing bonus ..... maybe 150K ..... if Helman stays , he would be a leader on a very good team next year . One that could have a shot to get to Omaha .
AG
dirkjones said:

Kolek signed a few weeks ago for very little. I'm told Mitchell signed for slot value.

Just curious, where have you seen that kolek signed?
UncleDave
MLB draft tracker shows Kolek signed for $125,000, which was the value of the pick.
Basketball and Chain
AG
TE-aXm-AS said:

dirkjones said:

Just curious, where have you seen that kolek signed?

https://www.mlb.com/draft/tracker/dodgers
Mr.Ackar07
Mr.Ackar07 said:

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2018/06/ethan_hankins_cleveland_indian.html

Quote:

The Indians' first two picks were high school players - catcher Noah "Bo" Naylor and Hankins. They have yet to sign either one and the deadline is July 6.
Quote:

The Indians' bonus pool for signing the players they took in the first 10 rounds was $9,145,200. They have about $5 million left to sign Naylor, Hankins and Kwan.

I'm sure Bo will sign, but it's interesting that the Indians are having some holdouts.
http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news/mlb-cleveland-indians-ethan-hankins-first-rounder-signs-with-junior-college-2019-draft/70mh1bcgb8qk126wlqaetbunz

More intrigue:

Quote:

Indians first-round pick Ethan Hankins (No. 35 overall) has just forced Cleveland's hand.

The right-handed fireballer from Georgia signed with Chipola Community College in Florida to play baseball in 2018-19.

[...]

Instead of going No. 1 overall, he went in the supplemental first round costing him around $4 million.

[...]

Cleveland must decide whether they want to allocate more money to Hankins and commit to signing him. The team has not signed their other first-round pick Noah Naylor yet either, so if they commit more money to Hankins, they may miss out on signing Naylor.

Hankins clearly has a backup plan now and is not just committed to going to MLB. He is willing to go to JuCo and try again next year. The ball is now in the Indians' court. Do they fork over extra money and possibly cost them a chance at signing Naylor, or don't they?
Mr.Ackar07
I suspect we will know more soon now that the CWS is over. The Indians only other Top 10 round holdout is their 5th round pick from Oregon St. Once he signs, I suspect we will know the fates of Naylor and Hankins.
Mr.Ackar07
The Indians have agreed to terms with their other 1st rounder, but Noah still remains unsigned. Ethan's signing bonus remains undisclosed for now:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/07/indians-agree-to-terms-with-35th-overall-pick-ethan-hankins.html
Mr.Ackar07
Michael Helman is the only other holdout so far. Signing deadline is 4pm CT on Friday.
technoviking
AG
Interesting. If Helman stays I wonder if chandler Morris will go?
KT 90
AG
Is the Helman holdup over money, or is there a medical issue?
UncleDave
The Twins have 3 top 10 round picks unsigned.
If they are wanting to offer Helman more than $125,000, it will be after they take care of the top picks.

NewAggieBallFan
We are friends with the Agent for Noah (Bo) Naylor and I just saw him post a picture of the signing of Naylor on his Instagram.
clendenin
AG
UncleDave said:

The Twins have 3 top 10 round picks unsigned.
If they are wanting to offer Helman more than $125,000, it will be after they take care of the top picks.

Twins only have #1 pick Trevor Larnach and #6 pick Charles Mack unsigned in the first 10 rounds...
DenverAg91
AG
Confirmed that Naylor signed, no surprises here

https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/indians/indians-sign-top-picks-noah-naylor-ethan-hankins-according-to-report
clendenin
AG
OKCAGS
Scott , what are your thoughts on Helman ? I find it odd that he has not signed yet . What do you think the chances are he comes back ?
clendenin
AG
OKCAGS said:

Scott , what are your thoughts on Helman ? I find it odd that he has not signed yet . What do you think the chances are he comes back ?
I think the Twins cannot signed Helman before they sign Trevor Larnach and know how much money they will have left for him and 6th round pick Charles Mack.

Twins Draft signee tracker

For this year's draft the Twins had a total bonus pool of $5.93 million, which can be divvied up among each of their picks in the first ten rounds. Additionally, if any pick after round ten signs for more than $125K the amount of money they exceed it by comes out of the Twins total bonus pool.

They have used up all but $3,149,500 on the signing of eight of their first 10 picks. Larnach bonus slot is 3.12 million and that would leave $29,500 for Mack and Helman.

This story shows they still are trying to sign Mack:

LARNACH UPDATE

The Twins continue to talk with the adviser for Oregon State right fielder Trevor Larnach, the 20th overall pick in this year's draft, but no deal had been struck as of Sunday night (July 2).

According to a person with direct knowledge, it's "still possible" the Twins will sign sixth-rounder Charles Mack, a high school third baseman from New York and a Clemson signee. If they can get him under contract for less than the $253,700 signing slot, Larnach's bonus offer could increase in advance of Friday's deadline.

Slot value for the No. 20 pick is $3.12 million, but the Twins might only have about $2.9 million left in their draft pool after going over slot for four other picks in the first 10 rounds.

The math makes it impossible to figure out if Helman is going to sign for more than $125,000 until Larnach comes to terms but they still have desires to sign Mack and further eat into their bonus pool. I think he was promised more than the minimum when he was drafted and Helman would have to decide if it would be enough to skip his senior year if the Twins spend all their money on Larnach and Mack.
clendenin
AG
MLB Draft update

Twins: Trevor Larnach, OF, Oregon State

No. 20 overall, pick value: $3,120,000
Another player whose signing was delayed by Oregon State's championship run, Larnach is expected to receive a below-slot bonus that will allow the Twins to finalize a deal with fifth-rounder Cole Sands for $600,000 and sign sixth-rounder Charles Mack for more than his $253,700 pick value without exceeding their bonus pool of $5,933,200.

No mention of signing Helman
OKCAGS
Thanks Scott . It seems like to me , the Twins might have overpromised and are underdelivering . They simply HAVE to sign their 1st rounder , but will have to decide between Mack and Helman . Any guess on % that Helman returns ?
clendenin
AG
Trevor Larnach Signs

The Twins have signed their first-round draft pick, Oregon State outfielder Trevor Larnach.

Larnach, 21, signed late because he was in the College World Series, which the Beavers won last week. The deadline is Friday.

The slot value for Larnach, the 20th overall pick, signed for a $2.55 million bonus, a source confirmed. That's below slot value of $3.12 million.

Twins have $570,000 left to sign 6th round pick Charles Mack and any player taken after the 10th round on top of the standard $125,000.

OKCAGS
Good Lord .... Larnach taking 600K LESS than slot ..... just about assures Helman will get above slot money . Oh well .... good for him .
UncleDave
MLB draft tracker is showing Helman signed for 220,000
Mr.Ackar07
Foxo
AG
Helman's performance with the bat was almost as good as Oregon State's Nick Madrigal who signed for over $6 Million as the #4 person drafted and Madrigal is a runt.
OKCAGS
Madrigal did it for 3 years in a row ..... leading a very good team to back to back CWS's .
OKCAGS
Ags got hit pretty good once again by MLB Draft , but I like the nucleus of next years squad . We have a solid core of Juniors , some exciting sophomores and one of the best freshman classes Rob has ever gotten to campus . Sprinkle in a few Sr's that can help in Multiple positions and we should be a much more balanced team next year ( IMO ) .
Serious Lee
OKCAGS said:

Madrigal did it for 3 years in a row ..... leading a very good team to back to back CWS's .
that and he also had a .980+ career fielding %.
OKCAGS
Very true . Plus- Plus defender , Plus speed , Plus Offensive Player . Size is the only negative ( could have injury issues ) but the kid has had as productive a college career ..... as anyone in recent memory .
oragator
technoviking said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Singer to KC at 18
crazy.

the drop in pick value money from his projected slot at 2 and his spot at 18 is $4.2 million
This from Brady today. Merry Christmas baseball board.

https://twitter.com/Bsinger51/status/1077689162004721664?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1077689162004721664&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbssports.com%2Fmlb%2Fnews%2Froyals-prospect-brady-singer-gives-heartwarming-christmas-gift-to-parents%2F
BurnetAggie99
IMO Helman could of came back and made more money plus helped the team even though he'd been a upperclassmen.
themissinglink
AG
Seniors don't make any money in the draft. He'd probably have to be a 1st round pick to make more money than he signed for.

I would have loved to have him back for another year, but taking the money and starting his pro career was the right decision.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.