***Official Aggies vs. 2018 MLB Draft Thread***

46,083 Views | 246 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Aggie1205
CharlieBrown17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Way too early, not overly thought out hot take but I could see Miner moving into the closer role.

Though he seemed to have a more active fish year than sophomore year. Don't really remember if he got banged up or what
Aggie1205
AG
Sherrod just went 207 to Marlins.
ColleyvilleAg06
AG
Sherrod 7th round to Marlins
Mr.Ackar07
Aggie1205 said:

Sherrod just went 207 to Marlins.
Good senior sign
SHSU-AG
Couldn't figure out why Miner wasn't used more. He was hardly used and is a kid that throws strikes. Don't think he's a closer, but a good middle reliever or possible late weekend starter.
technoviking
AG
ColleyvilleAg06 said:

Sherrod 7th round to Marlins
Mr.Ackar07
100 more picks left for today. After today, the odds will favor the Aggies in getting recruits to campus as the teams do not lose pool money if they can't sign a player after Round 10. They can use whatever pool money they have leftover to try an entice a player, but the player will have all of the leverage.
technoviking
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

100 more picks left for today. After today, the odds will favor the Aggies in getting recruits to campus as the teams do not lose pool money if they can't sign a player after Round 10. They can use whatever pool money they have leftover to try an entice a player, but the player will have all of the leverage.

My fingers are crossed no more recruits are picked.
Mr.Ackar07
technoviking said:

Mr.Ackar07 said:

My fingers are crossed no more recruits are picked.
Also good news is that these last few rounds generally see a lot more college seniors picked to help with pool money allocations.
technoviking
AG
That's good to know. Thanks!
Sean98
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Way too early, not overly thought out hot take but I could see Miner moving into the closer role.

Though he seemed to have a more active fish year than sophomore year. Don't really remember if he got banged up or what
Miner, Cole, or Ruffcorn would be my initial thoughts. All with BAA under .200 (albeit in limited innings). With as left handed heavy as our pitching rotation may be next year (I still don't see us throwing 3 LHP on the weekend, but that is certainly where our strength is) I think you'd want a RH closer. Force bad match ups/PH vs. a batting order built to go against a LHP.
CharlieBrown17
AG
My worry with ruffcorn is he had more walks than ks this year
twk
AG
Sean98 said:

CharlieBrown17 said:

Miner, Cole, or Ruffcorn would be my initial thoughts. All with BAA under .200 (albeit in limited innings). With as left handed heavy as our pitching rotation may be next year (I still don't see us throwing 3 LHP on the weekend, but that is certainly where our strength is) I think you'd want a RH closer. Force bad match ups/PH vs. a batting order built to go against a LHP.
Don't discount the possibility that Lacy might be used as a closer next year rather than a starter. There's something to be said about being able to use your best arms in multiple games, and he's open to the idea.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Man I see the merit to that but as it sits you have to think dox and lacy are 2/3rds of the weekend rotation with a spot open for one of the righties to take
technoviking
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Man I see the merit to that but as it sits you have to think dox and lacy are 2/3rds of the weekend rotation with a spot open for one of the righties to take

I agree. Maybe Conlon moves Into the closer role. Kilkinney started there before making the move to the rotation.

I have no idea who it will be.
CharlieBrown17
AG
That would be a lot of pressure on Conlon after basically not playing this year. He'll probably see his first action from the pen in a midweek and then get a midweek start early if I had to guess
ABATTBQ87
AG
TexAg91 said:

Luken Baker #75 to Cardinals

Kody Clemens #79 to Detroit
technoviking
AG
Definitely. It's just so early. I can't wait to see how summer ball goes and how the teams starts forming through the fall...
Mr.Ackar07
60 picks to go today
CharlieBrown17
AG
For sure.

Sean actually got something right for once on the last page.

Just have to see who shows up to play next season and go from there
ColleyvilleAg06
AG
I see a lot of folks writing off kolek. At this point I think it's fair to speculate he may come back for another year. I know he struggled a bit but I can't see him not being a consistent weekend starter.
Foxo
AG
Did Sherrod go higher or lower than he went last year?
Mr.Ackar07
Foxo said:

He went in the 13th round last year to the Royals
Mr.Ackar07
Here's the link to last year's tracker: https://texags.com/forums/8/topics/2850915/replies/48916566
Aggie1205
AG
Foxo said:

Higher but there is a decent chance he actually gets less money. Not sure what he ended up actually being offered last year.
Mr.Ackar07
Of the first 15 picks in Round 9:

10 Seniors
4 Juniors
1 Prep
Sean98
AG
Yeah, but 5-4 in only 9 innings. It's not like he was walking a guy an inning. It's just a small sample size.

I do agree with you though that a closer has to be a strike thrower. That's the thing that gives me hesitancy about Conlon in that role. He will have had 18 months or so to work with Rob and maybe that sort out the mechanics. But if they do that... he's a big strong kid and I might rather have him in the rotation. But if he's just a 2 pitch guy, but can throw strikes, then closer it is.

As for Asa, I just see him as a starter all the way. Having a great arm at the back end is very important, but I feel we'll have guys that better fit that role. Closers at the college level (and even MLB to some extent) generally have good stuff but a limited repertoire. If you can go max effort with a FB/Slider, then boom, closer. But you have to have a 3rd (and probably a 4th) pitch to get through a lineup 3 times. If you have 3 quality pitches I'd like to see them get a chance at the rotation first, then the closer/bullpen role if necessary.
Sean98
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

For sure.

Sean actually got something right for once on the last page.

Just have to see who shows up to play next season and go from there
You just lost all credibility with that nonsense. Never admit I might have gotten something even remotely right.
Wicked Good Ag
I think Childress will be in Aggieland next year based upon where we are in the draft.

And I am talking Jonathan not Rob although he will be here also to the angst of many
Aggie1205
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

I think Childress will be in Aggieland next year based upon where we are in the draft.

And I am talking Jonathan not Rob although he will be here also to the angst of many

Not sure if we are out of the woods yet. HS players taken after round 10 can get better money than even players taken earlier due to leverage. All depends on the teams pool money.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Don't tell the rest of the board, but I'm just one of the migrants from football that decided to stay. Not sure I lost any credibility.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Picking up secondary pitches is why I think Lacy is a weekend starter. He's got good stuff as is and pretty solid mechanics for a young guy. Pretty much have to assume he gets a changeup really rolling this offseason
Mr.Ackar07
Stolen from premium:

technoviking
AG
So to recap:

Guys that won't be wearing maroon and white next year:

Grayson Rodriguez
Noah Naylor
Mitchell Kilkinney
Mason Englert
Nolan Hoffman

Guys that are likely to wear M&W now:

Helman(!!??)
Bedford
Janca
J. Childress
Kolek
Wingate
Coleman
Morris
Andritsos
And the rest of the unsigned recruits

What do y'all think?
Mr.Ackar07
It depends on how much a guy really wants to go pro versus studying for more tests in between games. Last year we lost one recruit drafted after the 10th round, so it might still happen. You never know if Kolek or Janca are ready to play year round. We're definitely in good shape though. Might lose 1 or 2 more max, but nothing too major.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.