***Official Aggies vs. 2018 MLB Draft Thread***

46,088 Views | 246 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Aggie1205
Mr.Ackar07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sean98 said:

I don't read their stuff... what is the context behind it? Are they just wrong, or are they trying to say that bonus pool is allocated for rounds 1-10? ...which is technically true, but doesn't tell the whole story.
Not sure. They just have used the phrase since the bonus pool resets starting in round 11, we are not out of the woods yet. I think they just mean that a team can offer an addition $125k to each draftee starting in round 11.
Basketball and Chain
AG
There is only one bonus pool. There is no reset. That's terrible terminology to use.
PJYoung
AG
Basketball and Chain said:

There is only one bonus pool. There is no reset. That's terrible terminology to use.

Well the 11th round is your first opportunity to use all of the leftover money from rounds 1-10 (with a penalty yes).

So things do change some between 10 and 11, especially with teams having a night to contact potential draftees and gauge their interest.
BBGigem
AG
I have a question regarding slot value and senior draft picks for anyone that knows.

Typically, seniors don't have much leverage unless they are such a stud they could sit out and not sign and then sign free agent after the drafting team's rights are gone. But that is very rare. I understand there are slot values and I assume these are more of a guideline. So how does that affect the seniors? I'm assuming that since they don't have much leverage they just have basically take what is offered and that offers could be much lower than the slot value? Or is there some type of rule in place that the teams have to offer in the area of the slot value?

Just curious.
Mr.Ackar07
At this point, it may be too late to scrounge for bonus pool money to pay the recruit or juniors on the Aggie team their asking prices. I'm still holding out for a Kaylor Chafin sighting though before this is all over.

Although, we may see a flyer or two just to check interest, but the odds are definitely in the Aggies' favor now.
Mr.Ackar07
And as a type this, the Mets take a flyer on Jake Mangum. They listed him as a LHP though instead of an outfielder.
Mr.Ackar07
And just for reference, last year Asa Lacy was the last recruit to be drafted in Round 31, and Kaylor Chafin was the last Aggie to be drafted in Round 32.
Sandman98
AG
BBGigem said:

I have a question regarding slot value and senior draft picks for anyone that knows.

Typically, seniors don't have much leverage unless they are such a stud they could sit out and not sign and then sign free agent after the drafting team's rights are gone. But that is very rare. I understand there are slot values and I assume these are more of a guideline. So how does that affect the seniors? I'm assuming that since they don't have much leverage they just have basically take what is offered and that offers could be much lower than the slot value? Or is there some type of rule in place that the teams have to offer in the area of the slot value?

Just curious.

There are no requirements to pay a senior anything. If their slot value is worth 250k, and they pay them $1,000, that frees up $249,000 to be used anywhere else that they choose. The union and MLB assigned the slot values to establish the top 10 round total bonus pool but the teams can use the money how they want.

They can even overpay someone after the 10th round if they want, it just hits the 10 round pool.
BBGigem
AG
That is what I figured. It has always been that way but I didn't know if things had changed. So it is a good bet senior draftees will get less than slotted. Not always but a very good chance at that.
Mr.Ackar07
I think the minimum offer is $10,000 but don't quote me.

Nope, just checking last year, one guy signed for $2,500 and another for $5,000
Aggie1205
AG
Birdsell to Astros in 39th round.
Mr.Ackar07
Aggie1205 said:

Birdsell to Astros in 39th round.

I'm not happy with this pick. The Astros drafted under slot the first 10 rounds and didn't take anyone of substantial note to over pay in the later rounds. They might find the money to give him enough of a bonus to walk away. The only good news is that the Astros took him so late as they are probably very unsure of getting him to sign.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Gabe is very confident birdsell enrolls if that carries any weight.
Mr.Ackar07
never mind then:

Gap
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

The Astros drafted under slot the first 10 rounds.
How is that known at this time?
powerbelly
AG
Gap said:

Mr.Ackar07 said:

My guess is they took college seniors who have no leverage
Gap
AG
powerbelly said:

Gap said:

Mr.Ackar07 said:

My guess is they took college seniors who have no leverage
Astros 1st 10 rounds:

College sophomores/juniors:8
High schoolers:1
College senior: 1
Mr.Ackar07
Just looking at prospect rankings compared to where they were taken.
Sean98
AG
PJYoung said:

Well the 11th round is your first opportunity to use all of the leftover money from rounds 1-10 (with a penalty yes).

So things do change some between 10 and 11, especially with teams having a night to contact potential draftees and gauge their interest.
There is an extraordinary difference between 1-10 and 11-40, no one is arguing that. It's this alleged "reset" of the pool that is either confusing or downright wrong.

Yes, you can use leftover money from your bonus pool on players drafted in rounds 11-40. ... But there is no penalty for doing so. The only penalty is if you spend more than you were allotted in your pool. If your bonus pool were $10m, and you had 10 draft picks in the first 10 rounds, each of whom you signed for $100,000 you would have $9M leftover that you could spend on rounds 11-40 if you so chose. ... You only trigger a penalty when you spend $10,000,001 or above.
BoerneGator
AG
Quote:

Anyone who admits to molesting a 6 year old girl should be automatically ineligible to play college sports
"Molestation" is a broad term ranging from touching to violence/rape. We don't know exactly what occurred here, so I find your condemnation in appropriate. Depending on circumstances, we might agree completely about punishment for a particular crime/behavior, but this case seems pretty nuanced. We're not even supposed to know as much as we do, for a reason. Or do you know more than the rest of us? Serious question.
HoustonAg2106
AG
BoerneGator said:

Quote:

Anyone who admits to molesting a 6 year old girl should be automatically ineligible to play college sports
"Molestation" is a broad term ranging from touching to violence/rape. We don't know exactly what occurred here, so I find your condemnation in appropriate. Depending on circumstances, we might agree completely about punishment for a particular crime/behavior, but this case seems pretty nuanced. We're not even supposed to know as much as we do, for a reason. Or do you know more than the rest of us? Serious question.

I know what he was accused of and admitted to and it's disgusting

The 6 year old girl told her parents that her uncle touched her in the inside and outside of where she goes to the bathroom, that is bone chilling
TexAg91
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

BoerneGator said:

Quote:

I know what he was accused of and admitted to and it's disgusting

The 6 year old girl told her parents that her uncle touched her in the inside and outside of where she goes to the bathroom, that is bone chilling

Per the SI article it went on for two years, starting when the girl was four.
Mr.Ackar07
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-grayson-20180610-story.html

Grayson Rodriguez is officially gone. Signed for just below slot at $4.3mm.
DenverAg91
AG
Is Grayson the first Aggie to have officially signed a deal?

I'm aware that for obvious reasons we will 100% lose others but I still want to see this thread updated when guys officially sign just to know
Mr.Ackar07
TXMatt15 said:

I'm aware that for obvious reasons we will 100% lose others but I still want to see this thread updated when guys officially sign just to know
As far as I can tell. I plan on updating the OP as I find confirmations.
technoviking
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

TXMatt15 said:

As far as I can tell. I plan on updating the OP as I find confirmations.
thanks for doing this.
gougler08
AG
Englert signed with the Rangers to around $1M
Mr.Ackar07
gougler08 said:

Updated - thanks
Mr.Ackar07
Updated the OP for the following:

Kyler's signing bonus is a reported $4.66mm; the A's will officially announce his signing on Friday

Nolan Hoffman signs for $300,000 just below slot

Cason Sherrod signs, but I don't know for how much
Basketball and Chain
AG
gougler08 said:

Can't blame him for that. That's slot value for the 64th pick.
dirkjones
AG
Cason signs. 20k
twk
AG

gougler08 said:

Can't blame him for that. That's slot value for the 64th pick.
Yes, hard to argue with that. However, it occurs to me that we are seeing an interesting phenomenon. The draft was intended to equalize talent across the sport. Before the draft, the big clubs dominated--they had the money to sign kids, and huge farm systems to stockpile them. Now, with the slot system in place, the kids have a lot more say as to where they play, and I think that's why the Rangers drafted Englert this year, and the Red Sox drafted that pitcher we thought we were getting last year. The kids tell every team, but they one or two they actually want to play for, that they won't sign, so they get passed over until they get taken by their favored team. It's a good thing for the players, but I wonder if there will be long term effects for MLB. Will you see a team like the Rangers, who don't have anything that makes them particularly attractive to kids from outside Texas and the surrounding area, focus on cutting deals with kids close to home, who will give them a hometown discount, of sorts, rather than simply focusing on the best players available? In the old system, there was still some player preference involved, but there was a lot less pressure on the teams to sign, so the leverage wasn't as much as it is now.

If this ends up skewing talent towards certain organizations, they will probably end up changing the rules, again. Just something to ponder.
W
AG
yes, I've thought for a while that sometimes a player's decision to sign depended on which organization drafted him.

some organizations are known to be better than others from a minor league development standpoint. And others are known for being cheap and cannot wait to trade their prospects
AcoldStArnolds79
AG
If Andritkos is healthy he could be huge on offense.
Agsncws
AG
Mitchell Kilkenney announced on social media that he has signed with the Rockies. Wishing him luck.
[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qh0MyYgSAQsDxvvIIU3ehE1nf8WWLQEa/view?usp=sharing[/url]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.