***Official Aggies vs. 2018 MLB Draft Thread***

46,093 Views | 246 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Aggie1205
Sean98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
6pm and the draft is starting... Fingers crossed.
Bunk Moreland
Mize goes #1 as expected.
Mr.Ackar07
Kyler Murray, who had a brief Aggie career, goes #9 overall
technoviking
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

does this affect whether or not he plays this season for Oklahoma?

edit: this was a dumb question. of course it does. no way he turns down no. 9 overall money
Sean98
AG
Just be to post the same... Just wow.
Sports-Ag
AG
One of the MLB analyst on MLB tv said he got wind that Kyler will stop playing football at he end of the football season. Will focus strictly on baseball after that. Don't known how sure is that comment.
technoviking
AG
I look forward to watching gerrit cole strike kyler out.
Mr.Ackar07
Sports-Ag said:

One of the MLB analyst on MLB tv said he got wind that kyler will stop playing football in the fall to focus strictly on baseball. Don't known how sure is that comment
I think he meant he will quit after playing football in the fall. So he will return to school in the fall to play football for OU one last time.
Sports-Ag
AG
You beat me to it. I was going to make that correction. Thanks.
technoviking
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Sports-Ag said:

One of the MLB analyst on MLB tv said he got wind that kyler will stop playing football in the fall to focus strictly on baseball. Don't known how sure is that comment
I think he meant he will quit after playing football in the fall. So he will return to school in the fall to play football for OU one last time.
that is so so so stupid. unbelievably stupid. no NFL future and I imagine if he gets a blown out knee or something that would impact whatever contract he signs with the A's.
Sean98
AG
technoviking said:

Mr.Ackar07 said:

does this affect whether or not he plays this season for Oklahoma?

edit: this was a dumb question. of course it does. no way he turns down no. 9 overall money
I almost wonder if this isn't one of those "A's" strategies where they take a flyer in a guy and if he doesn't sign then they have pool money to use down the line...
W
AG
yes, something seems a little strange with Murray going that high
Mr.Ackar07
And there goes the first Aggie commit
technoviking
AG
at no. 9 though? that'd pretty high to use a pick to take a flyer on a guy for it seems to me
gigem1223
Welp... there goes Rodriguez
technoviking
AG
yep. I wonder where childress and menefee will end up? I don't see anyway rodriguez and Naylor turn down the big leagues
Sean98
AG
technoviking said:

at no. 9 though? that'd pretty high to use a pick to take a flyer on a guy for it seems to me
Agreed, but the A's are just weird. They'd almost rather be "different" than good. Plus they're habitually broke and so far away from being competitive they might rather not have a Top 10 pick on the books financially. Don't sign him, get a compensation pick next year...
Bunk Moreland
technoviking said:

Do you mean flyer in regards to he may not sign and play football or his talent level?

For a guy who can't focus on baseball year-round, his stays were damn good and he has 5 tools.

My guess is Oakland and his camp had some sort of understanding in place. Maybe not though.
Mr.Ackar07
I'm starting to wonder why Brady Singer has not been called yet. Wonder how high his signing bonus demand was.
technoviking
AG
I believe he meant flyer as in hold the negotiation rights for him exclusively and not necessarily intend to sign him if he decides to do something they don't want. that's why it's perplexing to me that they would use a 9 overall pick on someone with uncertainty around them. there should be plenty of other talented players that they know will play for them at that slot.

i'm by no means a MLB draft expert... would be nice if someone who is could give us insight as to what's going on here.

i'm thinking the a's had an understanding with the murrays.
technoviking
AG
Sean98 said:

technoviking said:

Agreed, but the A's are just weird. They'd almost rather be "different" than good. Plus they're habitually broke and so far away from being competitive they might rather not have a Top 10 pick on the books financially. Don't sign him, get a compensation pick next year...
ahhh that makes it make more sense..
Sean98
AG
That he might not sign.
Bunk Moreland
Gotcha. Yeah I think they probably came to an agreement. Hell Murray may have agreed to take less money to be able to play football one more season and Oakland can then go spend more on rounds 2-4. We'll see.
Bunk Moreland
Singer to KC at 18
Sean98
AG
I agree. Just trying to think like Oakland which is tough to do.
technoviking
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Singer to KC at 18
crazy.

the drop in pick value money from his projected slot at 2 and his spot at 18 is $4.2 million
Sean98
AG
MLB.com blurb on Grayson Rodriguez - #11, Baltimore Orioles

Bats: L
Class: HS SR
Height: 6' 5
Approx. Pick Value: $4.4M
Throws: R
DOB: 11/16/99
Weight: 220lbs
Like Forrest Whitley two years ago, Rodriguez is a Texas prep right-hander who could land in the first round after improving his physical conditioning and seeing his stuff and stock take a significant step forward. He led Central Heights (Nacogdoches) to the Texas state 3-A title as a two-way star in 2017, then consistently worked in the low 90s on the showcase circuit. This spring, he repeatedly has topped out at 97 or 98 mph. Rodriguez's fastball sits at 92-94 mph with heavy life that should turn wood bats into kindling. He has an array of promising secondary pitches, with most scouts preferring his low-80s slider to his mid-70s curveball, though the latter has nice shape. He hasn't had much need for a changeup but shows the potential to have an average one. Rodriguez is a decent athlete who uses a controlled delivery that allows him to provide strikes on a regular basis. His 6-foot-5 frame and high-three-quarters slot create steep downhill plane with his pitches. His emergence this spring makes it unlikely he'll follow through on a commitment to Texas A&M.
Sean98
AG
On the Ole Miss broadcast Rolison just got a text message and went running down the tunnel to the clubhouse.
PhatMack19
AG
I still think it sucks they have the draft during the middle of regionals. Ole Miss players are in the dugout checking their phones and running back to the clubhouse.

Would it hurt the MLB to start the draft tomorrow?
Mr.Ackar07
Sean98 said:

On the Ole Miss broadcast Rolison just got a text message and went running down the tunnel to the clubhouse.
Got it right - to the Rockies
Sean98
AG
PhatMack19 said:

I still think it sucks they have the draft during the middle of regionals. Ole Miss players are in the dugout checking their phones and running back to the clubhouse.

Would it hurt the MLB to start the draft tomorrow?
Exactly. So dumb.
Mr.Ackar07
Noah Naylor now off the board. Just waiting on a possible Kilkenny sighting for the rest of the day.
PhatMack19
AG
Astros just drafted a guy that will have the #1 selling jersey in the league if he makes it. #30

technoviking
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Noah Naylor now off the board. Just waiting on a possible Kilkenny sighting for the rest of the day.

Jonathan Childress is a concern to go too, right?
Mr.Ackar07
technoviking said:

Mr.Ackar07 said:

Jonathan Childress is a concern to go too, right?
Yes, but I don't think he will go today. I don't really think Kilkenny will either, but he has been mentioned as a possible 2nd round choice by some pundits.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.