***Official Aggies vs. 2018 MLB Draft Thread***

46,095 Views | 246 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Aggie1205
technoviking
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cool.

I'm surprised Helman didn't go in the top 10. I'm very happy about that, though.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Still a chance Mayo goes tomorrow. The cap MLB teams have to stay under restarts in the 11th round
Mr.Ackar07
CharlieBrown17 said:

Still a chance Mayo goes tomorrow. The cap MLB teams have to stay under restarts in the 11th round

I'm not sure if that language is entirely accurate. The first 10 rounds determines your spending pool that you can use over the first ten rounds. Any amount unused after those ten rounds can be applied to any pick after the tenth round. Starting in the 11th round until the end, you can give any of those picks up to $125,000 each without decreasing your bonus pool. Any amount spent over $125,000 on a 11th round pick or later will count against the teams bonus pool. You don't gain any additional spending money if one of those later picks signs for under $125,000.
Wicked Good Ag
technoviking said:

So to recap:

Guys that won't be wearing maroon and white next year:

Grayson Rodriguez
Noah Naylor
Mitchell Kilkinney
Mason Englert
Nolan Hoffman

Guys that are likely to wear M&W now:

Helman(!!??)
Bedford
Janca
J. Childress
Kolek
Wingate
Coleman
Morris
Andritsos
And the rest of the unsigned recruits

What do y'all think?

Mason Englert May very well arrive on campus. According to some he was really wanting to go to college. His teammate from HS will likely be here. But on the other side at this time last year he wasn't expected to be drafted that high
CharlieBrown17
AG
Fair enough. That's how I read the scenario I had seen but I'll defer to you on the workings of it

Either way, Mayo could still go tomorrow
Sean98
AG
Ackar is correct about Rounds 11+. That's a big part of the reason so many teams pick college seniors in the 7th-10th rounds. They can low ball them and then really take a flyer on a high school or college kid later and have extra money to tempt them.

Teams can actually outspend their bonus pool as well but there are penalties based on how much they overspend. 0-5% and you pay a tax of 75% of the amount you exceeded. Higher than 5% and you start losing picks. No team has ever exceeded 5%.

Bonus pools range from $12.78M (Royals) to just under $5.3M (Dodgers). It varies based on the number of picks and the order of the picks. The Royals have the highest pool because of multiple compensation picks due to the loss of free agents who had been given qualified offers.
LSU Baseball Fan
Looks like y'all have a pretty strong team returning next year. I'm surprised Michael Helman hasn't been drafted. Easily one of the best hitters in the SEC.

The MLB draft has killed our recruiting classes the last few years, so we really needed a year like this to recover. Very few (like 2 or3) of our players and incoming freshman have been drafted through nine rounds, so LSU should be stacked on the mound next year. Mainieri must be doing cartwheels after such a miserable, injury-riddled season. Looks like Hess, Duplantis, and Watson will all be back next year. Several of the weaker returning players will have to transfer to make room for the new guys.

My only big concern remains middle infield. Josh Smith needs to get healthy, for starters. But I'm not sold on Hughes or Broussard being a great second baseman at this level. They need to improve at the plate big time. Maybe they'll show crazy improvement at the plate like Andrew Stevenson did. I would never have thought he'd be a MLB starter one day after struggling to hit .200 as a freshman in 2013.

Our only big draft loss this year seems to be Bryce Turang, who would have started day one at SS, but was drafted 21st overall. He's gone, barring a miracle.
PhatMack19
AG
Luke Heimlich is still on the board after Day 2. Any thoughts?

Maybe I should have posted this on the politics board...
CharlieBrown17
AG
I have it on good authority you can't be listened to.
technoviking
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

technoviking said:

So to recap:

Guys that won't be wearing maroon and white next year:

Grayson Rodriguez
Noah Naylor
Mitchell Kilkinney
Mason Englert
Nolan Hoffman

Guys that are likely to wear M&W now:

Helman(!!??)
Bedford
Janca
J. Childress
Kolek
Wingate
Coleman
Morris
Andritsos
And the rest of the unsigned recruits

What do y'all think?

Mason Englert May very well arrive on campus. According to some he was really wanting to go to college. His teammate from HS will likely be here. But on the other side at this time last year he wasn't expected to be drafted that high

That's what I hoped but he's also super pumped about the Rangers...

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Article/Texas-AM-Aggies-baseball-recruiting-MLB-Draft-AM-signee-Mason-Englert-drafted-by-Rangers-118813437
LSU Baseball Fan
PhatMack19 said:

Not surprised. He's clearly very talented, but no team in 2018 wants to deal with the nuclear fallout of drafting a (confessed- but only he knows whether he really did it or not) child molester. It's very much like the Collin Kaepernick situation in the NFL. Is he good enough to be on an NFL roster? Sure, but no team wants him in their locker room. Too polarizing and divisive.

I think some team will sign him as a free agent, which won't garner as much negative attention. Worst case scenario for him, he'll go to another country like Japan and play professionally there.
HoustonAg2106
AG
PhatMack19 said:

My thoughts are he shouldn't be playing baseball (college or pro)
twk
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

PhatMack19 said:

Read up on the story. The criminal charge stems out of a nasty divorce between Heimlich's brother and sister-in-law. All too often, you see allegations like this used to create leverage in divorce cases. The Heimlich's story is basically that he got some bad legal advice and plead guilty to a crime that he didn't commit because, while he could do the probation that was offered for a guilty plea, he couldn't risk the jail time that would have been incurred had he been tried and convicted. The story could be BS, or it could be true. I've got an open mind about that, but, still, if I were an MLB team, I wouldn't want the blowback from signing him, as talented as he may be. Bad legal advice or not, he took the plea and has to live with the consequences, and this is one of them.
caleblyn
When is the date they must make a decision, college or pro?
Mr.Ackar07
caleblyn said:

When is the date they must make a decision, college or pro?
They have a month, so sometime on July 6th (maybe 5pm eastern?)
twk
AG
The deadline is July 15.

link
Mr.Ackar07
Michael Helman to the Twins at Pick #334
Thunder Ag
Kolek to the Dodgers
Thunder Ag
Does Helman stay or does he go... if he stays what can he improve he had the highest average in the SEC
twk
AG
Thunder Ag said:

Does Helman stay or does he go... if he stays what can he improve he had the highest average in the SEC
I think it's a question of what kind of slot money the Twins saved in the first 10 rounds, and whether they are willing to throw much of that at Helman. The fact that he didn't go in the first 10 makes me think that he wanted more than what was likely going to be his slot number if he had been drafted strictly based on ability, possibly because he indicated a willingness to forego signing and return to school.
HoustonAg2106
AG
twk said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

PhatMack19 said:

Read up on the story. The criminal charge stems out of a nasty divorce between Heimlich's brother and sister-in-law. All too often, you see allegations like this used to create leverage in divorce cases. The Heimlich's story is basically that he got some bad legal advice and plead guilty to a crime that he didn't commit because, while he could do the probation that was offered for a guilty plea, he couldn't risk the jail time that would have been incurred had he been tried and convicted. The story could be BS, or it could be true. I've got an open mind about that, but, still, if I were an MLB team, I wouldn't want the blowback from signing him, as talented as he may be. Bad legal advice or not, he took the plea and has to live with the consequences, and this is one of them.

What was the leverage, his brother is the one who reported him

Also it says if he went to trial and was found guilty he would have faced 40 weeks in juvie
PJYoung
AG
Thunder Ag said:

The Twins had all night to contact potential draftees.

The pool money resets starting in the 11th round so I'm guessing they reached an agreement with Helman and he's gone.
CharlieBrown17
AG
He gone.

But as to why comeback, two years of performance like that could net more money. Especially if he could increase his power numbers.

A decent increase in power numbers would make up for a lower average next year if that happened.
atm0812
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

twk said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

PhatMack19 said:

Also it says if he went to trial and was found guilty he would have faced 40 weeks in juvie

Which would've been during his junior/senior year and killed his recruitment. The plea deal was supposed to stay sealed and disappear after 5 years of probation, counseling and good behavior (all of which he completed).

If the Oregon police handled his sex offender registration properly, no one would no this story exists and he would've been a multimillionaire last summer.
HoustonAg2106
AG
atm0812 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

twk said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

PhatMack19 said:

Which would've been during his junior/senior year and killed his recruitment. The plea deal was supposed to stay sealed and disappear after 5 years of probation, counseling and good behavior (all of which he completed).

If the Oregon police handled his sex offender registration properly, no one would no this story exists and he would've been a multimillionaire last summer.

I have no sympathy for him, he shouldn't have been playing college baseball in the first place

Anyone who admits to molesting a 6 year old girl should be automatically ineligible to play college sports
cjw90
When he was 15 he is accused of "inappropriately touching" (not raping) a little girl. He did everything that was required of him. Do you really think his life should be over?
atm0812
AG
Sympathy is a totally different question. I'm just saying he chose his path based on what he was told would be the clearest route to keep playing baseball and move on with his life without registering as a sex offender forever.
HoustonAg2106
AG
cjw90 said:

When he was 15 he is accused of "inappropriately touching" (not raping) a little girl. He did everything that was required of him. Do you really think his life should be over?

Convicted sex offenders give up certain rights and privileges and playing college sports should be one of them (and for many schools that is the case)

No his life should not be over, but not playing baseball is not ending his life
Mr.Ackar07
I'd imagine Kolek and Helman are both gone. I would think Janca will be gone too if he hears his name. May not be out of the woods yet on Childress depending on if a team with some leftover bonus pool money picks him as a flyer.
Sean98
AG
This was a pretty good thread while it lasted... Everytime it gets bumped I'm thinking maybe Childress just came off the board.

Nope. More talk about sex offender registries...
HoustonAg2106
AG
Sean98 said:

This was a pretty good thread while it lasted... Everytime it gets bumped I'm thinking maybe Childress just came off the board.

Nope. More talk about sex offender registries...

Sorry I'll stop
Sean98
AG
PJYoung said:

Thunder Ag said:

The Twins had all night to contact potential draftees.

The pool money resets starting in the 11th round so I'm guessing they reached an agreement with Helman and he's gone.
What do you mean by "the pool money resets?"

Reality is that everyone beyond the 10th round has a slot cap of $125,000. Any money you give a player in excess of $125,000 has to be taken out of your bonus pool money. So you had to have underpaid slot a significant amount of money in Rounds 1-10 to be able to drop a lot of money on any player(s) after the 10th round.

Exceeding your bonus pool costs you penalties ($, or draft picks and $).
Mr.Ackar07
Gabe and Hop have used the term "bonus pool money resets" a few times. I think that's where a few people are picking it up. I've tried to correct it.
Sean98
AG
twk said:

Thunder Ag said:

I think it's a question of what kind of slot money the Twins saved in the first 10 rounds, and whether they are willing to throw much of that at Helman. The fact that he didn't go in the first 10 makes me think that he wanted more than what was likely going to be his slot number if he had been drafted strictly based on ability, possibly because he indicated a willingness to forego signing and return to school.
It's worth noting that the Twins only drafted 1 college senior, Chris Williams (C-Clemson) in the 8th round. Slot value of $162K. They did draft a kid out of VMI with their 7th round pick, but most of their other picks were from fairly baseball centric teams (OrState, FSU, UNC-W, etc.).

The Twins also have the 5th lowest bonus pool allotment at $5.93M (compared to $12.8M for the Royals) so it's probably difficult for them to save up a big war chest.
Sean98
AG
I don't read their stuff... what is the context behind it? Are they just wrong, or are they trying to say that bonus pool is allocated for rounds 1-10? ...which is technically true, but doesn't tell the whole story.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.