2017 SEC Tournament (5/23 - 5/28)

35,293 Views | 333 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by W
aginlakeway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
sips lose ... DAMN ...
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
dermdoc
AG
Okie state wins.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
W
AG
3 at-large spots among these teams:

#34 Maryland
#37 St. John's
#38 UConn
#41 Miami
#42 McNeese
#46 A&M
#47 LaTech
#50 Gonzaga
#51 Old Dominion

the final RPI's for the committee will be available in a few hours
dermdoc
AG
Hey if we don't make it I may go to watch Aggie softball at the World Series.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
P.C. Principal
If we get in, we were fortunate

If we don't get in, it's hard to say we deserved it, after such a poor finish
aginlakeway
AG
PC_Principal said:

If we get in, we were fortunate

If we don't get in, it's hard to say we deserved it, after such a poor finish
Yes ... plus a LOT of teams winnings conference tournaments that never would have made it. No way we are not one of the 64 best teams. But that's not what matters ...
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
Wicked Good Ag
If we are out then the committee is saying this year that down the stretch matters. Miami a prime example vs overall conference play
aginlakeway
AG
dermdoc said:

Hey if we don't make it I may go to watch Aggie softball at the World Series.
We may go regardless ... that's a great event, and we have friends in OKC. Just not sure if we can go for the entire series.
Rock1982
AG
W said:

3 at-large spots among these teams:

#35 Maryland
#37 St. John's
#38 UConn
#39 Miami
#40 McNeese
#45 A&M
#47 LaTech
#50 Gonzaga
#51 Old Dominion

the final RPI's for the committee will be available in a few hours

When is the field announcement?
W
AG
Monday at 11am I believe
dermdoc
AG
You are correct.
jkag89
W said:

Monday at 11am I believe
ESPN2
aginlakeway
AG
When does D1 make their final predictions? Aren't they usually pretty spot on?
W
AG
A&M is down to #46.

12 spots behind Maryland and 9 spots behind St. John's. Those are significant deficits.

I think #50 Gonzaga is the first team in from that group.

and then it depends if the committee elects to protect mid-major regular season champions (St. John's, McNeese) over the 7th or 8th place teams from power conferences (Miami, A&M). Miami is college baseball royalty.

and then there is the desire to spread the game around (i.e. protect the Northeast). That would also help St. John's plus UConn.

by the way...Auburn has dropped to #45. Michigan is still holding at #36
twk
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

If we are out then the committee is saying this year that down the stretch matters. Miami a prime example vs overall conference play
I don't know about that. I think the non-conference schedule is the greatest weakness. Yes, we dropped three straight series, but they were all splits, and the two at home were to teams in the field either as a 1 or 2 seed. If we don't make it, to me that's a message that the SEC is down, because every other SEC team with 16 wins since the format changed in '99 has gotten in.
LSU Baseball Fan
Yep. Selection show is 11 am on ESPN2 so everyone can watch it this year. I think y'all are still safe, but it'll be tight. The bubble has not been kind, lots of bid stealers.

Glad to get the win, but Newman made it sketchy at the end there. Thought that ball was through and it's a tie game. It wouldn't be LSU sports without a little cardiac arrest. I just hope we can keep it going. The 2014 team finished hot like this but it all went wrong in that 8th inning against Houston and we never recovered. Hopefully this team gets the job done. They have the talent and experience to be national champs.
aginlakeway
AG
W said:

A&M is down to #46.

12 spots behind Maryland and 9 spots behind St. John's. Those are significant deficits.

I think #50 Gonzaga is the first team in from that group.

and then it depends if the committee elects to protect mid-major regular season champions (St. John's, McNeese) over the 7th or 8th place teams from power conferences (Miami, A&M). Miami is college baseball royalty.

and then there is the desire to spread the game around (i.e. protect the Northeast). That would also help St. John's plus UConn.

by the way...Auburn has dropped to #45. Michigan is still holding at #36
What's your hunch?
twk
AG
I don't see how they take Auburn and not A&M. We've got the same SEC record, beat them head to head, and if our non-conference is lacking, theirs can't be any better since we ended up in a virtual dead heat in the RPI.
gougler08
AG
Looks like it's time to hold on to your butts
aginlakeway
AG
gougler08 said:

Will that help?
gougler08
AG
aginlakeway said:

gougler08 said:

Will that help?

If it works for Samuel L Jackson, then it can't hurt to try right?
W
AG
I'm going to be optimistic and go with Gonzaga, St. John's, and A&M for the last three.

gotta think Ray Tanner has a lot of pull with the committee as a former SEC head coach with rings.

Miami lost 27 games and didn't win a single series vs. a regional team.

also wouldn't be surprised if Maryland is in and Michigan is out to make the Maryland AD feel okay going home
dermdoc
AG
When can I let go of my butt?
W
AG
so for the State of Texas...we have:

TCU and Tech as #1 seeds.

UH as another likely #1 seed.

Baylor and t.u. as #2 seeds.

Rice and Sam as #3 seeds.

A&M on the bubble.

DBU leading in the 8th to win the MVC auto bid.

TSU as #4 seed
Mustang1
AG
Noon on Mon at the latest.
dermdoc
AG
And a Houston regional with us and the sips may be too juicy for the committee to bypass.
twk
AG
dermdoc said:

And a Houston regional with us and the sips may be too juicy for the committee to bypass.

You won't be staying walking distance from that venue
dermdoc
AG
Got the Hilton on campus. Can uber to dinner.
jkag89
dermdoc said:

Love how dermdoc remains positive! Hope you're right.
LSU Baseball Fan
It'll be very interesting to see what the comitee does. A regional like this would be almost too convenient.

1 Houston
2 Texas or Baylor
3 Texas A&M or Rice
4 Texas Southern

I expect at least one of the teams (not Houston or A&M) to be in Baton Rouge.
dermdoc
AG
I am a big believer that things happen for a reason. If we don't make it, there may be some player, coach, or fan from one of the teams who made it today who really needed that to keep their faith alive.
dermdoc
AG
I think the committee puts tu in Houston so they have an easier path and Baylor goes to Baton Rouge.
jkag89
LSU Baseball Fan said:

It'll be very interesting to see what the comitee does. A regional like this would be almost too convenient.

1 Houston
2 Texas or Baylor
3 Texas A&M or Rice
4 Texas Southern

I expect at least one of the teams (not Houston or A&M) to be in Baton Rouge.
Rice could fit nicely at TCU although Sam Houston could be 3 Seed there. You guys might see the Owls again, how often have they come your way recently?
dermdoc
AG
A regional with LSU, Baylor, and Rice would be tasty.
LSU Baseball Fan
To my knowledge: last year they were in our regional and gave us all we wanted, in 2009 they were paired with us and we beat them in the super regional, in 2005 they beat us in our regional, in 2004 our regional was paired with them, but y'all threw a wrench in those plans and allowed us to host a super regional.

We've had Southeastern a lot, so the committee might want to ship them elsewhere this time. If McNeese makes it, I expect them to be in BR as a 3 seed. We'll likely be paired with the Hattiesburg or Houston regional.

IIRC, Sam Houston State was last in BR in 2013, Baylor in 2009, and Texas Southern in 2008, so all of those are in play. I don't think we've ever had Texas in our regional in the Super Regional era, so if the Horns aren't in Houston, I expect us to get them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.