2017 SEC Tournament (5/23 - 5/28)

35,279 Views | 333 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by W
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rice (28-29) has been playing well. A real threat to win the C-USA tournament after winning their opener.

Sam Houston (37-20) wins its tourney opener in the Southland.

mini-upset in the B1G with Minnesota beating Indiana
dermdoc
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

Georgia will be away next season
And that is a great trip. They have a hotel on campus right next to the ballpark and the organist from the Braves comes and plays.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Wicked Good Ag
We will play Florida Georgia and South Carolina and one other East opponent. Florida and South Carolina should be home series and that means Georgia and the other are away and that lines up with previous trips home and home.
W
AG
South Carolina's season is (almost) over. The Gamecocks (33-24) go from preseason top 5 to (likely) missing the postseason for the 2nd time in 3 years. They are a team in the RPI top 40 that won't make a regional.

and as previously mentioned SCar should be back on A&M's schedule next year at Blue Bell.

edit...for adverbs
twk
AG
W said:

South Carolina's season is over. The Gamecocks (33-24) go from preseason top 5 to missing the postseason for the 2nd time in 3 years. They are a team in the RPI top 40 that won't make a regional.

and as previously mentioned SCar should be back on A&M's schedule next year at Blue Bell
Not yet. This was a double elimination game--USC falls to the loser's bracket, and now are one loss away from having their season over.
W
AG
Tech keeps the Big 12 tradition alive. The #1 seed phones in the tournament
W
AG
that's right. Still alive for another day
dermdoc
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

We will play Florida Georgia and South Carolina and one other East opponent. Florida and South Carolina should be home series and that means Georgia and the other are away and that lines up with previous trips home and home.

I hope it is Tennessee. That is a great trip.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
W
AG
another mini-upset in the B1G as Northwestern beats Michigan.

Old Dominion (37-19) wins their C-USA opener. ODU is 16-10 vs. the top 100 and has series wins vs. #9 Southern Miss and #18 West Virginia. Didn't realize the Monarchs resume was that good. I'd say C-USA is definitely a 2-bid league (minimum). And ODU could get in before A&M
W
AG
LSU not starting Lange or Poche today
Wicked Good Ag
dermdoc said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

I hope it is Tennessee. That is a great trip.

Well the other four are Tennessee Missouri Kentucky and Vandy
We played Missouri and Vandy away this past season so it is between Tennessee and Kentucky more than likely
dermdoc
AG
I bet it is Kentucky as we have been to Tennessee twice.
ftworthag02
AG
Anybody switched over to bdf tournament? What a joke! The tv production is bad and the crowd is even worse. DIRECTV shows it as "big 10 championship" on fssw alternate. Alternate!
W
AG
Southern Miss loses to UTSA in the C-USA tournament. That's a significant development. Might open the door for C-USA to be a 3-bid league.

another upset in the Big 12 tournament as Kansas beats TCU
LSU Baseball Fan
LSU wins for Paul Mainieri's 500th win at LSU. Continues to dominate in Hoover. I'm hoping we hit and play defense like that tomorrow. We'll need to if we're gonna beat Kentucky.
The Debt
Hell of a run Ags
aginlakeway
AG
The Debt said:

Hell of a run Ags
Is it over?
W
AG
Rain is playing havoc across the country. The fourth game of the day in the Missouri Valley conference just started at 11pm.

it's an important one since Missouri State is playing
W
AG
and Missouri State loses in the wee hours. That's a bad result for the bubble teams.

in Warren Nolan's RPI, the Ags slid to #45 after all of yesterday's games.

need more results to go A&M's way today
twk
AG
It will be interesting to see what happens with Auburn. Going into the tournament, we had identical conference records of 16-14. We were 41 in the RPI, they were 43. We are now 45, and they are back at 43 after going 1-1, so far. They face the loser of this morning's Arkansas-Mississippi State game (first game today) in today's third game, so the team they play will be playing their second game of the day, but Auburn has used up their top three pitchers (one would think). Childress and Thompson took diametrically opposed approaches to the tournament. It will be interesting to see how it plays out in the final RPI, and how the teams play next week (we're both in the field, in my opinion, barring an unprecedented string of upsets).
Wicked Good Ag
IF WE ARE SENT TO LUBBOCK and all pitchers are well rested

do we pitch Martin in game one against the two seed and then go Hill who had combined 3 hit shutout earlier in season ?

Similar to the thought of holding your ace if you are the one seed but I think this might be the way to go as Martin has been pitching well. If he doesn't have to extend an inning with a walk or hit he could go 8 innings and give us a near full pen
twk
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

IF WE ARE SENT TO LUBBOCK and all pitchers are well rested

do we pitch Martin in game one against the two seed and then go Hill who had combined 3 hit shutout earlier in season ?

Similar to the thought of holding your ace if you are the one seed but I think this might be the way to go as Martin has been pitching well. If he doesn't have to extend an inning with a walk or hit he could go 8 innings and give us a near full pen
Nope. We're going to be playing a quality team that will require everything we've got to win game 1, and avoid the loser's bracket. As our one game at Hoover showed, getting into the loser's bracket would probably result in a quick trip home. Corbin was really good last week, but over the course of the season, Hill gave us more of the kind of outings that we're looking for in game 1 than Corbin did. But, having someone like Corbin, who can be absolutely brilliant, or not, is probably what we're going to need if we win game 1 and face a national seed throwing their ace in game 2.
Wicked Good Ag
Normally I wouldn't but we do have a data point against Tech will Hill and a good one at that

In last seven series

Hill 5-2 giving up 22 runs while us getting 48
Martin 5-2 giving up 20 runs while us getting 34

Now those numbers include bull pen help and not just starters but interesting that we can torch the ace more so than the number two guy and they have benne pitching roughly the same. I might go Martin then Hill if at LUBBOCK because if the data point

dermdoc
AG
twk said:

It will be interesting to see what happens with Auburn. Going into the tournament, we had identical conference records of 16-14. We were 41 in the RPI, they were 43. We are now 45, and they are back at 43 after going 1-1, so far. They face the loser of this morning's Arkansas-Mississippi State game (first game today) in today's third game, so the team they play will be playing their second game of the day, but Auburn has used up their top three pitchers (one would think). Childress and Thompson took diametrically opposed approaches to the tournament. It will be interesting to see how it plays out in the final RPI, and how the teams play next week (we're both in the field, in my opinion, barring an unprecedented string of upsets).
I think Auburn and A&M are both in as long as nobody besides LSU, Kentucky, Florida, or Arky win the SEC tourney. Mizzou and South Carolina play today so one of them will be gone.
Wicked Good Ag
You can add Mississippi State to that list as well derm other than Missouri or South Carolina we have no change in the bubble coming from the SEC

Missouri State loss may come back to hurt the bubble and if Rice pulls out a spot
dermdoc
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

You can add Mississippi State to that list as well derm other than Missouri or South Carolina we have no change in the bubble coming from the SEC

Missouri State loss may come back to hurt the bubble and if Rice pulls out a spot
Yep and actually of course Auburn. I really think there will be 8 SEC teams no matter what. And I think we will be the last one unless Mizzou or South Carolina win the tourney.
aginlakeway
AG
dermdoc said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

Yep and actually of course Auburn. I really think there will be 8 SEC teams no matter what. And I think we will be the last one unless Mizzou or South Carolina win the tourney.
I agree. I think we're in barring one of those 2 teams winning it.
W
AG
I think Auburn would get in before A&M, since the Tigers have 2 more significant weekend series wins.

I believe Auburn won series from Florida, Arkansas, State, and Ole Miss.

-----

for today it would be nice if Maryland, Miami, and UCLA lose games. UConn and Louisiana Tech too

need KU and OSU to lose in the Big 12 tournament.

need ODU or Southern Miss to go ahead and win the C-USA tournament. Likewise need SELU or McNeese to win the Southland tournament.

the gap has widened in the RPI between A&M and some of the mid-major at-large candidates such I don't think the Ags would get in before a team like ODU or SELU
twk
AG
dermdoc said:

twk said:

I think Auburn and A&M are both in as long as nobody besides LSU, Kentucky, Florida, or Arky win the SEC tourney. Mizzou and South Carolina play today so one of them will be gone.
I agree, I think both are in, barring a huge string of upsets. I can't see one of us getting in, and the other not, unless Auburn somehow gets to at least Saturday.

I don't know if the different approach had to do with insecurity about being in the field, or what was best for the pitching staff. I was really thinking about the impact of the approach on the field next week--will A&M's pitchers benefit from rest, or will Auburn's pitcher's benefit from work?
twk
AG
State scores 2 in the top of the 9th to beat Arkansas 4-3. I think that's probably a good result for us because Arkansas playing their 2nd game of the tournament 3 hours from now against Auburn has a better chance of winning that game that State would have playing their 3rd game. If Auburn goes 1-2 at Hoover, they will have gotten no edge over us from winning that first game against Ole Miss.
Aggieangler93
AG
I agree with this. Hill overall has been much more consistent, and even though he is not as flashy, he keeps us in it and works more efficiently in most cases.

Even on a good day, Martin seems to let batters get deep into counts on a regular basis, which means we are looking at an early exit bullpen situation much more often with him, potentially. To go deep in the post-season, we will have to have him continue his late performance, and maybe even be a bit more efficient. I have confidence he can do so!
TempleAg97
AG
Great ongoing thread guys. Been reading it religiously as y'all update.

I've been to all regionals, Supers, and CWS in person that we've played in since 1999 except Oregon State and Florida State.

Depending on the next few days it could be an edge of your seat Selection Monday and, as we know, the NCAA picks and chooses whatever data point they like that year to do what they want. I'll just say it's nice to be in the SEC as that usually means something pretty consistently on baseball selection day.

You'd have to think if Coach Childress thought the Ags were in major danger of missing the tournament, he'd have pitched Hill. He even could be wrong but as plugged in as he is, I doubt it.
W
AG
#43 Louisiana Tech (36-20) goes 2 & Q in the C-USA tournament.

that's a mid-major at-large team...that A&M should be clearly ahead of in the pecking order. RPI's are very close. But LaTech's SoS is in the 80's.

best case scenario with C-USA is for Southern Miss or Old Dominion to win the tournament, so C-USA is a 2-bid league. Big game tonight between Rice and ODU.

interesting thought...if Rice wins the C-USA tourney...could Rice bump A&M from the Lubbock regional and push the Ags elsewhere? Rice would probably be a #3 seed
Wicked Good Ag
I think we go to Lubbock because Baylor has to be shipped somewhere and can't go to TCU TECH or Oklahoma if they host. LSU might work but west coast is likely. Same for Texas

We logistically would be going to TCU or Tech you could add in Rice to LSU or TCU
nereus
AG
Tech is a plane trip for both us and Rice. I think we make more sense if you are going to send one of us there. We have more alumni in Dallas and fans that would travel to Lubbock than Rice would so it would make more sense to keep us in fan driving distance than to try and do that for Rice if you are going to send one of us on a long plane trip to the coast. I think you also probably have more interest from Tech fans in watch the 2/3 seed game with us in it as opposed to Rice.

Also, Rice could also go to LSU which we can't if they have a 3 seed slot open.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.