*** official interesting things in the CWS thread ***

48,104 Views | 569 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Come Out Roll
TexasRebel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
You think no two events in the world can take place at the same time?

No two events can happen at the exact same point in time. It's not a matter of what I think.
TXAggie2011
AG

quote:
Soccer, hockey, football and basketball aren't even analogous as they don't take the measurement at a point in time. They look at if an event happens at all (does the player touch out of bounds?).

Tennis uses clay displacement to judge impacts, but I'm not familiar with the verbiage of the in/out rules.

He's talking about determining if the soccer ball crossed the goal line, or went out of bounds. Its not where the ball was when it was touched by a player, its about did the entirety of ball pass the entirety of the goal line or touch line.

Clay tennis can use marks to quickly take a look at close balls. It of course isn't a measurement of which particular point of the ball hit first but a good approximation of whether any part of the ball was in bounds or not.

If you watch a major tennis tournament, even the clay ones, they'll use the eagle eye technology and you'll see its a measurement of whether any part of the ball---using the circumference of a tennis ball---was in bounds or not. If the tiniest bit of the ball was in bounds, its in bounds. Only if the entire tennis ball is out, is it out.
TXAggie2011
AG
In fact, a soccer ball which is kicked and breaks the plane of the touchline is out of bounds even if it curves back in bounds before hitting the ground again.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:
You think no two events in the world can take place at the same time?

No two events can happen at the exact same point in time. It's not a matter of what I think.
For someone who decided not to get into quantums, you sure are trying to get into relativity, and misunderstanding its implications at that. Nothing precludes events happening at the exact same time, its just at how many decimal points of a second do you require"same time"?

Obviously the smaller the interval of time you use, the less likely events happened at the same time. I thought you didn't want to get into quantums? And you're still a buffoon for not understanding "tie goes to the runner."

Can we at last agree that the rule that if a team hits a ball that is close to fair or foul, and one can't visibly see chalk on replays, and its against an SEC team, the ball must be ruled foul is not in the book and agree to disagree on the rest?
swimmerbabe11
The title of this thread is very misleading.
TexasRebel
AG
I know. This thread was better before people tried to justify a poor use of replay with things that aren't rules.

Nothing interesting has happened yet today. Game starts in 10 minutes.
TexasRebel
AG
quote:
Can we at last agree that the rule that if a team hits a ball that is close to fair or foul, and one can't visibly see chalk on replays, and its against an SEC team, the ball must be ruled foul is not in the book and agree to disagree on the rest?

I'd agree with you, but I don't want to be wrong.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
I know. This thread was better before people tried to justify a poor use of replay with things that aren't rules.
Actually, no. It wasn't about the rulebook. That was you. For me, it was about what I saw on the replay which was the ball seemingly hitting the foul line.
TexasRebel
AG
What makes you think it hit the foul line before touching foul territory?
TheAngelFlight
quote:

Nothing interesting has happened yet today. Game starts in 10 minutes.
You're a child.

I agree with 2011. It looks like the ball clipped the foul line.

And I don't care if you can't clearly see a cloud of chalk or not. That doesn't mean it was foul.
Mark Fairchild
AG
I have to say that I dislike AMERITRADE park and this is one of the more boring CWS's in recent history. Pitchers' park.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
What makes you think it hit the foul line before touching foul territory?
As I said in my first 10 posts (hyperbole), from a camera on the opposite side of the field, so that foul territory was further away than fair territory, the ball cuts into the view of the the foul line as it hits the ground and begins to bounce.

TexasRebel
AG
As the rules of baseball go. That does not make it a fair ball.

Florida is the home team.
Tech goes quietly in the first.
0-0, bot. 1
swimmerbabe11
TheAngelFlight
quote:
As the rules of baseball go. That does not make it a fair ball.
Not kicking up a cloud of chalk doesn't make it a foul ball. Especially when you're looking at from a camera 300+ feet away.

Even the one person who sort of agreed with you in the thread, who actually says they also saw it hit the foul line, too, tried to point out "kicking up chalk" is a figure of speech.

I didn't see it kick up any dirt of any kind, but I see it hitting the foul line and we can all agree that the foul line is in fair territory.

TexasRebel
AG
There was a pretty substantial debris field. It kicked up plenty of dirt. The chalk was untouched.
TexasRebel
AG
Still 0-0 going to 4.

Tech really hates the SEC. It sounds like there have been some amazing catches.
Tex100
AG
Tech leads the Gators. Will the mighty SEC be eliminated twice by the Big 12?
jkag89
quote:
Tech leads the Gators. Will the mighty SEC be eliminated thrice by the Big 12?
FIFY, oSu eliminated SC in the Columbia Super Regional.
TexasRebel
AG
If Florida loses this game the SEC and the ACC will tie for 7th place in the tournament.
ftworthag02
AG
florida has bases loaded w/ only 1 out
ftworthag02
AG
hit into double play
TexasRebel
AG
3-0 count...

Free strike.

Foul to fill the count.

...1-2 ground ball.
Street_Cred_Norm
That was a good call. He shouldnt have been on the grass.
TexasRebel
AG
quote:
hit into double play

About as unconventional of a double play as you can get.
Ag12thman
AG
Geez Florida. Come on dudes.
LawHall88
AG
SEC nine outs away from going completely teats up in the CWS. I did not see this coming three weeks ago.
TexasRebel
AG
Well that was stupid.
TexasRebel
AG
Florida turns a slow grounder to third into two errors and a run. Then follow it up with a HBP.
LawHall88
AG
Also, Florida 1 run in 17 innings so far. They scored 29 on us over 4 games.

TexasRebel
AG
Tech trying to win their first CWS game ever. Florida primed for the walkoff grand slam.
MsDoubleD81
AG
quote:
Geez Florida. Come on dudes.

I know. I in a restaurant sitting next to a cow and her dufus husband Tech fans talking about how all the SEC teams suck.
phillyag92
AG
Good lord Florida. Letting these lunatics beat you?
Mark Fairchild
AG
Conference championships were more difficult than this garbage. Really disappointing to see this as the best in college baseball. A lot of factors are making this one if the WORST CWS's ever!
Mark Fairchild
AG
Oh, I HATE AMERITRADE PARK!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.