*** official interesting things in the CWS thread ***

48,099 Views | 569 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Come Out Roll
TexasRebel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Another good example are the flag poles in Tal's Hill. Two of them are outside of the field. If you hit one of them it's a home run. If you hit the third... It depends on where it lands.
DGAG92
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Nope. The pole is outside of the field of play, but fair territory. Contacted is the key.
Wrong.

The foul pole and foul line are both "in the field of play".

The foul poles are outside the field of play. If they were in the field a ball that bounced off of one back into the park would be playable. It is not.

Foul poles extend vertically, above the outfield wall.....if a ball hits any part of the pole, it's fair and a home run. The chalk line and poles are NOT out of play, they are in play.....this is why they are chalked. If you catch the very outside of the chalk line, it's just as fair as a ball that hit 10' inside the line.
A baseball field "in play area" is defined by chalk lines, foul poles and a usually a yellow line across the top of the outfield wall.....or a fence.
TexasRebel
AG
To address what might be your next confusion. There is foul territory that is within the field of play.
TexasRebel
AG
You are confusing foul territory with dead ball territory.
South Platte
Y'all putzes are missing a good game. Serious pitching duel.
DGAG92
AG
quote:
You are confusing foul territory with dead ball territory.

Yes you are correct....I'm referring to fair territory. Field of play is completely different and varies from park to park.
TexasRebel
AG
Seeing it.

At 113 pitches they all have the potential to be exciting.
DGAG92
AG
quote:
Y'all putzes are missing a good game. Serious pitching duel.

Naaaa, I'm watching. When do we get a hoss that can bring it like that and go 8 2/3? Any more TCU transfers coming our way?
TexasRebel
AG
Yes. In no park are the foul poles within the field of play, they are all in fair territory.
TexasRebel
AG
oSu might get a CG out of this.
TexasRebel
AG
AZ brought him back out.
DGAG92
AG
quote:
Yes. In no park are the foul poles within the field of play, they are all in fair territory.

All fair territory is considered field of play......

http://www.ehow.com/video_2364899_field-play-baseball.html
BoerneGator
AG
quote:
If 3/4 of the ball lands foul, the ball will not touch the line.
Not true. Theoretically, a much smaller fraction (than 1/4) can "touch the line", and if it (or any part) does indeed touch the line, it's fair. End of story!
South Platte
I hardly remember any foul balls. Everything is swing and miss. 120+ pitches! I guess roll him out there in the 9th, regardless of whether you score in B8 or not. Complete game 1-0 loss would be baffling.
South Platte
Let's not start squeezing the zone in B8. Blue?!?
TexasRebel
AG
again, the definition from the NCAA rule book for 2016

quote:
Fair Territory SECTION 28. That part of the playing field within and including the first- and third-base lines from home plate to the bottom of the playing-field fence and perpendicularly upwards. Both foul lines are in fair territory.

If you want to go strictly by this, a home run is not a fair ball. Notice that the foul poles are not in this definition of fair territory as they are behind the fence.
TexasRebel
AG
quote:
quote:
Not true. Theoretically, a much smaller fraction (than 1/4) can "touch the line", and if it (or any part) does indeed touch the line, it's fair. End of story!
If the center of the ball lands outside of the foul line, the ball will have first contacted foul territory which is, by the definition of a foul ball, a foul ball. Sorry Boerne.
TexasRebel
AG
rolling through the 9th so far... both pitchers throwing to contact now for outs.

AZ starter threw all 9.
TexasRebel
AG
pitching change for oSu...

Cobb the closer facing 1-2-3 in the lineup
BoerneGator
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
If the center of the ball lands outside of the foul line, the ball will have first contacted foul territory which is, by the definition of a foul ball, a foul ball. Sorry Boerne.
True, but since there's no way to determine that, umpires must be content with seeing chalk fly. No chalk, it's foul. Otherwise, I agree with your premise.
TexasRebel
AG
the ball that started all of this yesterday kicked up no chalk. Was called foul, then, the first ever reviewed play in the CWS overturned a good call.
TexasRebel
AG
A little drama in the oSu v. Arizona game!

long stretch on first. Umpire at the play says the foot came off before the ball was in the mit. Overruled (I agree) by the home plate umpire. 2 down in the bottom of 9. AZ trails by a run.
DGAG92
AG
The Big Break conference.......surprised the whorns aren't here by some crazy miraclez3
TexasRebel
AG
tying run walks on, winning run at the plate.

This is the plate appearance that little kids dream about!
BoerneGator
AG
quote:
the ball that started all of this yesterday kicked up no chalk. Was called foul, then, the first ever reviewed play in the CWS overturned a good call.
Did not see it. So what was the basis for calling it fair?

TexasRebel
AG
ballgame

oSu is one win away from the final series. Will play the winner of AZ & UCSB

Florida & Tech play for survival tomorrow afternoon.
TCU & CCU in the evening.
Ag12thman
AG
Which are the undefeated teams left? Okie Lite and who else?
TexasRebel
AG
I wasn't watching with sound. I have no idea really, but my guess is exactly what we just talked about.

looking straight down the line, a tiny bit of the ball, maybe 1/16" was over the line as the ball hit the dirt in foul territory. In this case, as the umpire called it, "no chalk! foul ball". When they incorreclty overturned it via video replay it made both teams mad as CCU would have scored 2 on a legit double, but 1 run ended up being the difference, and that call dropped Florida to the 1-loss bracket. Not that they would have won otherwise, but being the home team in the 10th inning sure favors them.
TexasRebel
AG
TCU and CCU are each 1-0 playing tomorrow at 6 CDT
Ag12thman
AG
NM.
TexasRebel
AG
nope
the Gators and the Raiders play the afternoon game tomorrow. The loser starts vacation.
BoerneGator
AG
Sounds okay to me, if the video shows it was "on" the line. Magnification can do wonders, and could be an improvement. The ball could actually touch the chalk without kicking any up. Gotta be able to trust the umps, although it can really be hard to at times.
Ag12thman
AG
Thanks. Sorry - I missed your post at 11:17 pm. Just needed to open my eyes. Thanks for the updates. I'm ignoring the CWS pretty heavily after the Super Regionals. Still depresses me that we aren't there when I know we are every bit as good as every single one of the remaining teams, if not better.
TexasRebel
AG
the ball never touched chalk as the center of it landed nearly 1.5" away from the line.

The debris kicked up by the ball was visible on the chalk line.

http://www.secsports.com/article/16343437/florida-drops-cws-opener-coastal-carolina

around 1:32 in that video.
BoerneGator
AG
quote:
the ball never touched chalk as the center of it landed nearly 1.5" away from the line.

The debris kicked up by the ball was visible on the chalk line.

http://www.secsports.com/article/16343437/florida-drops-cws-opener-coastal-carolina

around 1:32 in that video.
Thanks. From the still photo, it appears the ball touched the line. Obviously, the ball would have touched foul ground first, but if the ball touched the chalk, it should be ruled fair, to follow the spirit of the rule, imo.

Edit to add: I'm willing to bet the ump who made the original call was okay with, and perhaps even collaborated with the overturn. (Not sure that's allowed)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.