Calipari to Arkansas

18,379 Views | 163 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by greg.w.h
TexasAGGIEinAR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah, I'm getting annihilated with texts daily. I don't believe delusion can see that Calipari isn't going to do better at a worse job in the same conference. Especially when the fans have UK type standards. They're paying double for a coach who has won ONE NCAAT game in 4 years, can't even win the SEC anymore and has continued to regress. He was good 10 years ago, so apparently he's going to magically be that person again....at Arkansas. They were this excited when they hired John Chavis and Chad Morris. They also think Bobby Petrino is going to succeed Pittman and start winning SEC titles. The delusion in this state is unmatched.
SeattleAg05
AG
I think Cal is still a good coach. Those football hires are a different story.
Proposition Joe
Yeah, really tough to paint this as a bad hire for Arkansas. It's a hire that may not work out, but that's the case with any hire they make.
_lefraud_
AG
TexasAGGIEinAR said:

The delusion in this state is unmatched.
Texas A&M football says hello
Divining Rod
nm
_lefraud_
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Yeah, really tough to paint this as a bad hire for Arkansas. It's a hire that may not work out, but that's the case with any hire they make.
Agreed, especially after whiffing on a few other guys, Calipari is a great get for Arkansas.

I think Calipari will revamp his staff, and have a different approach with game planning/scouting. There is still no one better in the game at getting guys to the NBA...and that won't change.
Hop
Staff
AG
Proposition Joe said:

45-70Ag said:

If I'm Scott drew, no way I touch that job. He's got a good thing. Going at Baylor, recruits well, nice facilities, good team in a tough conference and is well liked.

Kentucky is where you go to get chewed up and spit out.

He's been at Baylor for 20 years and won a national title. He's financially set for life, and realistically he's going to coach another 10 years (I think Hop said at age 65 you're washed up? )

If there was actually a perfect time to take that job, I'd say it would be now.

And I think our allegiance to BCG has led us to have a viewpoint on Kentucky that's not really reflected by their history.

Calipari was there for 15 years.
Tubby Smith for 10.
Pitino for 8.
Hall for 13.
Rupp for half a century.

Sutton left due to a scandal.

So actually in the last 100 years of Kentucky Basketball coaches, Billy Gillispie is the only guy that you could actually say got "chewed up and spit out".

You are brutal. You are the one that pushed this washed up narrative when you contradicted yourself. Calipari under-performed with the greatest college basketball brand with infinite resources and the best talent. Over the last three seasons, he has performed at the same level of a coach you've been begging for three months to be fired at A&M. Yet, you think he's a great coach who will resurrect himself in Fayetteville.

He's been a good collector of talent, but he has not shown to be a good coach in this portal era.

TexasAGGIEinAR
_lefraud_ said:

TexasAGGIEinAR said:

The delusion in this state is unmatched.
Texas A&M football says hello
I've been an Aggie fanatic since the 80's. Therefore, I devote all of my sports time to the Ags. Sure, we have delusional fans, but the Arky fanbase is unmatched on delusion. I love this state, but can't stand the fans. I think you'd have to live it to believe it. But I get what you're saying.
frenchtoast
He'll get the recruits. KY was humming along nicely until post-season this year, so I don't think it would be a huge stretch to see Arkansas make deep runs in the tourney. I still think Cal is past his prime, though, and this will end up being just a mediocre hire. We'll have to wait and see how it unfolds.
Proposition Joe
Hop said:

Proposition Joe said:

45-70Ag said:

If I'm Scott drew, no way I touch that job. He's got a good thing. Going at Baylor, recruits well, nice facilities, good team in a tough conference and is well liked.

He's been at Baylor for 20 years and won a national title. He's financially set for life, and realistically he's going to coach another 10 years (I think Hop said at age 65 you're washed up? )

And I think our allegiance to BCG has led us to have a viewpoint on Kentucky that's not really reflected by their history.

Tubby Smith for 10.
Pitino for 8.
Hall for 13.
Rupp for half a century.

So actually in the last 100 years of Kentucky Basketball coaches, Billy Gillispie is the only guy that you could actually say got "chewed up and spit out".

You are brutal. You are the one that pushed this washed up narrative when you contradicted yourself. Calipari under-performed with the greatest college basketball brand with infinite resources and the best talent. Over the last three seasons, he has performed at the same level of a coach you've been begging for three months to be fired at A&M. Yet, you think he's a great coach who will resurrect himself in Fayetteville.

He's been a good collector of talent, but he has not shown to be a good coach in this portal era.

I have never once said Buzz Williams should be fired.

Not once.

Just stop making **** up Hop. You can at least try to have a back-and-forth without resorting to fabricating a poster's stance. If you're going to debate with everyone, you can't just assume anyone who has been critical of Buzz must be the same posters demanding to have him canned like some other posters. It's disingenuous, lazy, or both.
Proposition Joe
As for Calipari, why this thought that he has to be "resurrected" in Fayetteville.

Is he likely past his prime? Sure.

But he's made the tournament 3 straight years and finished ranked #7 in the nation in one of those years... If he does that at Arkansas they aren't going to be bringing out the pitchforks.

He doesn't have to bring Arkansas Final Fours (or even Elite Eights) for the hire not to be a bad one. There isn't an attainable new hire coach out there that you can point to that gives you any kind of success probability on that level.
TexasAGGIEinAR
The only problem is, the idiot Musselman made deep tournament runs. Now, they're going to expect great regular seasons, as well as deep runs on a yearly basis. At least the texts I'm getting from dozens of Piggies, are suggesting they're about to win the SEC and be Final Four staples, consistently. Again, their expectations are as high as Cal was dealing with at UK.
Hop
Staff
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Hop said:

Proposition Joe said:

45-70Ag said:

Tubby Smith for 10.
Pitino for 8.
Hall for 13.
Rupp for half a century.

Not once.

Just stop making **** up Hop. You can at least try to have a back-and-forth without resorting to fabricating a poster's stance. If you're going to debate with everyone, you can't just assume anyone who has been critical of Buzz must be the same posters demanding to have him canned like some other posters. It's disingenuous, lazy, or both.
You are trying to weasel out of this again with wordplay and the "liar" routine. Whether you actually used the term "fire Buzz Williams" or not, you have constantly posted that he hasn't gotten the job done and anybody discussing his record in a positive light are simply playing mental gymnastics with themselves. That is a fact.

You've made it perfectly clear as to your position on Williams many, many times through February, and it wasn't positive.

Hop
Staff
AG
Arkansas fans were not too happy with Musselman, one year removed from two Elite 8's and a Sweet 16. I didn't hear much crying when he took the USC job.
Legalize-It-Ags
AG
Hop said:

Arkansas fans were not too happy with Musselman, one year removed from two Elite 8's and a Sweet 16. I didn't hear much crying when he took the USC job.
Its all about what have you done for me lately in the business of college athletics. Almost no one goes out on top and its a fall far from grace for most. Cal did a lot for Kentucky but the last 4 years showed he didn't have the same drive or couldn't adapt to the transfer portal era. Arkansas is bringing that in same Calipari in. He might have a little more pep in his step at first, but the version of college basketball that he thrived in is long gone.
Proposition Joe
Hop said:

Proposition Joe said:

Hop said:

Proposition Joe said:

45-70Ag said:

Tubby Smith for 10.
Pitino for 8.
Hall for 13.
Rupp for half a century.

Not once.

You are trying to weasel out of this again with wordplay and the "liar" routine. Whether you actually used the term "fire Buzz Williams" or not, you have constantly posted that he hasn't gotten the job done and anybody discussing his record in a positive light are simply playing mental gymnastics with themselves. That is a fact.

So in consecutive days now you've now claimed I said all year "regular season wins mean nothing", and now "begging for three months for Buzz Williams to be fired".

But when I call you out on it you say I'm weaseling out with wordplay?

No Hop, you're just making **** up. Don't claim posters were "claiming all year" and "begging" for things that they did not say one single time. It's lying, plain and simple, and you should be above that.

If you can't make an argument without resorting to lying, then you don't have an argument to make.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Prop Weasel Joe
45-70Ag
AG
Tubby smith left Kentucky to get away from the insanity that is Kentucky, they wanted him gone. Same for Pitino, they wore him down.
LawHall88
AG
20ag07
Him posting this was stupid.

And then he deleted it.
Legalize-It-Ags
AG
20ag07 said:

And then he deleted it.
Why? he's stepping away and wanting to do it on good terms with the university and fans. I don't see anything wrong with it.
Legalize-It-Ags
AG
45-70Ag said:

Tubby smith left Kentucky to get away from the insanity that is Kentucky, they wanted him gone. Same for Pitino, they wore him down.
Tubby couldn't produce at a high enough level and Pitino left for the NBA.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
20ag07 said:

And then he deleted it.
He deleted it because the quality was low, reposted minutes later.

I don't know what's stupid about it.
Legalize-It-Ags
AG
I'm laughing at all the people that think Dan Hurley isn't even going to entertain the kentucky job. No one quite understands the pull that UK has. They'll offer him something ridiculous and make him say no and heres the thing... pretty much any head coach in the country, save for ones at UNC, Duke, Kansas, and UCLA, would jump at the chance to be the headman at UK. UConn fans are going to be very anxious in about a week or so when rumors start coming out. Same thing goes for Scott Drew and Baylor.
DTP02
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

20ag07 said:

And then he deleted it.
He deleted it because the quality was low, reposted minutes later.

I don't know what's stupid about it.

The only thing stupid about it is they didn't fix the couch cushion behind him. Come on, Ellen, get your crap together!
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
My son will be a freshman at Arkansas.

His reaction... well, I guess I'll get to see some future NBA players.
Hop
Staff
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Hop said:

Proposition Joe said:

Hop said:

Proposition Joe said:

45-70Ag said:

Tubby Smith for 10.
Pitino for 8.
Hall for 13.
Rupp for half a century.

Not once.

So in consecutive days now you've now claimed I said all year "regular season wins mean nothing", and now "begging for three months for Buzz Williams to be fired".

But when I call you out on it you say I'm weaseling out with wordplay?

No Hop, you're just making **** up. Don't claim posters were "claiming all year" and "begging" for things that they did not say one single time. It's lying, plain and simple, and you should be above that.

If you can't make an argument without resorting to lying, then you don't have an argument to make.

You are scrambling to stay above water wearing that "liar" life vest and thrashing around.

Again, as I said in my last post that you ignored because the truth hurts, It took me 90 seconds to find this post from you…and if I cared to invest another 10 minutes I could probably find another 100 posts very similar in sentiment that was not very positive to Williams…the coach with the same performance metrics over the past three seasons as your favored coach, John Calipari.

Pumpkinhead
AG
Legalize-It-Ags said:

I'm laughing at all the people that think Dan Hurley isn't even going to entertain the kentucky job. No one quite understands the pull that UK has. They'll offer him something ridiculous and make him say no and heres the thing... pretty much any head coach in the country, save for ones at UNC, Duke, Kansas, and UCLA, would jump at the chance to be the headman at UK. UConn fans are going to be very anxious in about a week or so when rumors start coming out. Same thing goes for Scott Drew and Baylor.

UConn Huskies' Dan Hurley says there's "No way" he's going to Kentucky Basketball - A Sea Of Blue

Hurley said his wife likes being close to New Jersey where she is from and he already is winning championships at a basketball power school and making enough millions.

Oats out.
Hurley out.

Scott Drew...we'll see.
Hop
Staff
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Legalize-It-Ags said:

UConn Huskies' Dan Hurley says there's "No way" he's going to Kentucky Basketball - A Sea Of Blue

Hurley said his wife likes being close to New Jersey where she is from and he already is winning championships at a basketball power school and making enough millions.

Oats out.
Hurley out.

Scott Drew...we'll see.

Somebody will take the bait and go to Kentucky, but if you are Scott Drew who walks on water in Waco and will have a seven figure salary for as long as he wants it, does he want to jump into the cauldron in Lexington where if he has a couple of seasons they don't reach the second weekend and donors will be nipping at your heels?

A few guys with an ego may jump, but Drew is set for life and playing in what will be one of the best basketball conferences in the nation at a school that worships you…that's a tough situation to leave.
Proposition Joe
I know this may be difficult for you to understand, but saying that a new arena or NIL is not the reason we had struggled to that point in Buzz' tenure (1 tourney appearance and I believe at the time 15-13 on the year) does not somehow translate to *begging* the coach would be fired all year*. (As for me saying regular season records don't matter I don't even know where you made that up from).

At best you are taking one or two random posters that were calling for Buzz' head and just assuming anyone critical of Buzz must have felt the same. At worst you are lying and fabricating stances and combatting things no one actually said.

Either way, it's completely derailing the thread so I'll walk away. If you want to argue that I was overly critical of Buzz Williams, have at it. If you want to argue that Calipari is washed up, have at it. Opinions are opinions, even if most of yours are wholly uneducated.

But stop saying I said **** that I didn't say. You're better than that.
LawHall88
AG
Hop said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Legalize-It-Ags said:

Oats out.
Hurley out.

Scott Drew...we'll see.

Somebody will take the bait and go to Kentucky, but if you are Scott Drew who walks on water in Waco and will have a seven figure salary for as long as he wants it, does he want to jump into the cauldron in Lexington where if he has a couple of seasons they don't reach the second weekend and donors will be nipping at your heels?

A few guys with an ego may jump, but Drew is set for life and playing in what will be one of the best basketball conferences in the nation at a school that worships you…that's a tough situation to leave.
This has Bruce Pearl all over it - big personality, loves the spotlight, etc. But he is trying to set up his son as "coach in waiting" like Sampson has done at UH and I doubt UK would go for that.
_lefraud_
AG
Incredibly pathetic, Hop.
frenchtoast
Do me next, Hop!
frenchtoast
frenchtoast said:

Do me next, Hop!
First time those four words have ever been strung together in that order.

Just messing with you, Hop.
Hop
Staff
AG
frenchtoast said:

Do me next, Hop!

You must be more condescending to get the treatment.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.