Calipari to Arkansas

18,665 Views | 163 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by greg.w.h
JJxvi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aston04 said:

JJxvi said:

It's fascinating to see how broad of differences there are in how fanbases view certain coaches. Based on X, Kentucky fans would rather have Buzz Williams than Scott Drew, but like Arkansas fans wanted no part of Buzz Williams.
That said, I really doubt Kentucky seriously consider another A&M coach known for gritty teams and not a stud recruiter.
I don't think they would actually like Buzz Williams once he got there. I think that they, particularly, like a guy with an unassuming blue collar nickname but also wears three piece suits and jumps around and dances on the sidelines, but I have my doubts that they would be pleased with the ins and outs of the way Buzz runs the program and deals with the media on the day to day, year to year basis.
MarcAg
AG
BQ_90 said:

How does NIL change anything, he had just as much NIL at UK. Is Cal really gonna change anything with different color pullover on?
Yeah it's like people are saying if only Coach Cal had resources to work with at Kentucky.

sincereag
Cal will be forced to go out and get transfers now that his roster is depleted. He'll have to change his approach at Arky versus the way he built his roster at UK.
Pumpkinhead
AG
The 'I am not going to discuss injuries at all, my roster's current health or availability status and most other details RE my program is going to be closely held top-secret stuff' approach that Buzz enjoys at an A&M would never fly in Kentucky where the entire university and fanbase, and the entire state really, lives and dies with every little detail regarding the basketball program.
DTP02
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

The 'I am not going to discuss injuries at all, my roster's current health or availability status and most other details RE my program is going to be closely held top-secret stuff' approach that Buzz enjoys at an A&M would never fly in Kentucky where the entire university and fanbase, and the entire state really, lives and dies with every little detail regarding the basketball program.

That's just one of Buzz's many quirks that wouldn't play well at UK. I don't know if there is a worse fit for that job from among the pool of successful coaches.
Pumpkinhead
AG
If I was Kentucky, my #1 choice honestly would be Bruce Pearl. I know he's 64 but he's a young 64 and he would be a perfect personality fit in that environment up there IMO. And he's really damn good.
halfastros81
AG
I agree with you. Pearl would be good there. He's good at Auburn. Kentucky hubris probably won't settle
For anyone other than Hurley tho is my guess.

I also thought about Billy Donovan before I went and looked up articles that suggested it.

I am sure Kentucky has zero interest in Buzz. Not their style …. Nor his.
zooguy96
Bruce Pearl with UK's resources would kill it.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
MarcAg
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

If I was Kentucky, my #1 choice honestly would be Bruce Pearl. I know he's 64 but he's a young 64 and he would be a perfect personality fit in that environment up there IMO. And he's really damn good.
His personality definitely works for their fans. I actually like Bruce Pearl. I know a lot of people here hate him
NowhereMan
Maybe Buzz will go to KY - Yeah right
carl spacklers hat
agent-maroon said:

Kellso said:

Something tells me that Rick Pitino will be back in blue.

I scoffed... at first.
He was at Keeneland Saturday. College buddy lives two doors down from Cal, family is big Kentucky supporters, bumped into Pitino there. Same buddy says they've been in discussions with Billy Donovan for the last 2 weeks.

At this point, nobody knows wth is going on. Kentucky can't afford to buy out Cal but most of them want him gone. Their best option was another team taking him off their hands but it wouldn't surprise me if Cal is back in Lexington next year.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
_lefraud_
AG
Has your newspaper not been delivered yet?
phatty26
Billy Donovan
Buford T. Justice
AG
Mark Turgeon would be my pick.
(And I am not kidding.)
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
StinkyPinky
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

Mark Turgeon would be my pick.
(And I am not kidding.)
You sound like a possum pecker when you say such things.....
SWAGBOT
AG
I'd bet it all that Nate Oats will be the next coach of Kentucky
Little Rock Ag
AG
TexasAGGIEinAR said:

Nobody does less with more than Calipari. Buzz has owned him, so please sign the deal. It's gonna be fun watching basketball Jimbo Fisher collapse this fanbase up here.
I hope so. Everybody up here is acting like they can pencil in national titles for decades to come.
EliteZags
AG
Gohlke drinks for free in Fayetteville

Know Your Enemy
AG
carl spacklers hat said:

agent-maroon said:

Kellso said:

Something tells me that Rick Pitino will be back in blue.

I scoffed... at first.
He was at Keeneland Saturday. College buddy lives two doors down from Cal, family is big Kentucky supporters, bumped into Pitino there. Same buddy says they've been in discussions with Billy Donovan for the last 2 weeks.

At this point, nobody knows wth is going on. Kentucky can't afford to buy out Cal but most of them want him gone. Their best option was another team taking him off their hands but it wouldn't surprise me if Cal is back in Lexington next year.

He may be back in Lexington next season…if Arkansas has a road game there.
Double Diamond
Matt Norlander when running off names said Buzz Williams would be a name. What's interesting is how many don't understand how well Buzz is thought of around the game.
Double Diamond
SWAGBOT said:

I'd bet it all that Nate Oats will be the next coach of Kentucky

You think UK will pay a 18 million buyout for a Nate Oats level coach?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Double Diamond said:

Matt Norlander when running off names said Buzz Williams would be a name. What's interesting is how many don't understand how well Buzz is thought of around the game.

The meltdown in Lexington would almost be worth it to lose Buzz. The UK fans would lose their **** if they hired him.
cs69ag
AG
I think it will be Nate Oats.

UK just saved 33,3 million not having to fire Cal.

Buy Oats for 6 million per year with a 6 yr contract.
Cal was making 9 million per year....so in 6 yrs , you have your 18 million back!
cs69ag
AG
Buzz is a good fit for our Ags.
Not a fit at UK as UK fans not happy with Buzz type players.
Buzz would be a BCGII no fit at UK.

Why would Buzz want everyone from the Governor to the gym janitor in his grill every game?
halfastros81
AG
Turgeon has been unemployed for what …. 2 years? Maybe by choice…. I dunno but it's not like programs are pursuing him aggressively. He's maybe a better than average coach … didn't recruit well here. Why are you so bullish on him?
LawHall88
AG
cs69ag said:

Cal was making 9 million per year....so in 6 yrs , you have your 18 million back!

Oats just posted on Twitter that he is staying at Bama. I think they kick the tires on Billy Donovan, and if he isn't interested, they go hard after Scott Drew.
Double Diamond
Know Your Enemy said:

Double Diamond said:

The meltdown in Lexington would almost be worth it to lose Buzz. The UK fans would lose their **** if they hired him.

There is no way UK goes after Buzz. I just find it interesting that smart basketball writers like Norlander when asked about an early list would toss Buzz on the list. Outside world has a much higher opinion.
txag72
AG
Quote:

xvi said:

It's fascinating to see how broad of differences there are in how fanbases view certain coaches. Based on X, Kentucky fans would rather have Buzz Williams than Scott Drew, but like Arkansas fans wanted no part of Buzz Williams.
Arkansas vs A&M. 2-0
Kentucky vs A&M 0-2
Captain Clarence Oveur
AG
The more interesting question is when/if Drew goes to UK, and McCasland goes back to Baylor, then who goes to Tech? Potentially a lot of dominoes could fall. Not sure Buzz is one of those, but the more that fall, the higher the likelihood.
20ag07
Quote:

$6M for 6 isn't even competitive with the contract he has at Bama, even before the $18M buyout.
Divining Rod
interesting choice. they hire a coach who MUST recruit the very best players in the country in order to succeed, and even then. fails often.

I guess Ark thinks it will become the new KY and get the very best
45-70Ag
AG
If I'm Scott drew, no way I touch that job. He's got a good thing. Going at Baylor, recruits well, nice facilities, good team in a tough conference and is well liked.

Kentucky is where you go to get chewed up and spit out.
Tango.Mike
Double Diamond said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Double Diamond said:

There is no way UK goes after Buzz. I just find it interesting that smart basketball writers like Norlander when asked about an early list would toss Buzz on the list. Outside world has a much higher opinion.

If there is "no way" UK would pursue Buzz, then it's not having a higher opinion or being a smart writer, it's just spray-and-pray junk.
Buford T. Justice
AG
Mick Cronin would be a good candidate.
I think he now realizes that UCLA isn't what it used to be, and never will be again.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
Proposition Joe
45-70Ag said:

If I'm Scott drew, no way I touch that job. He's got a good thing. Going at Baylor, recruits well, nice facilities, good team in a tough conference and is well liked.

Kentucky is where you go to get chewed up and spit out.

He's been at Baylor for 20 years and won a national title. He's financially set for life, and realistically he's going to coach another 10 years (I think Hop said at age 65 you're washed up? )

If there was actually a perfect time to take that job, I'd say it would be now.

And I think our allegiance to BCG has led us to have a viewpoint on Kentucky that's not really reflected by their history.

Calipari was there for 15 years.
Tubby Smith for 10.
Pitino for 8.
Hall for 13.
Rupp for half a century.

Sutton left due to a scandal.

So actually in the last 100 years of Kentucky Basketball coaches, Billy Gillispie is the only guy that you could actually say got "chewed up and spit out".

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.