Calipari to Arkansas

18,383 Views | 163 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by greg.w.h
TAMUallen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No clue to our NIL numbers but are we even a quarter of the new "guaranteed" Calipari Arkansas numbers?

He's top 3 pay with maybe top NIL for basketball
20ag07
If we thought the Arky search was wild, the Kentucky search is going to be more so.

Nate Oats' contract has an $18M buyout to Bama if he leaves in the next 2 years. That's just not happening.
Double Diamond
That is wild.
Double Diamond
In the end this isn't that wild everybody wanted Cal gone at Kentucky they just couldn't find a place for him to go and the big Kentucky donor wasn't paying the 33 million so Cal would leave. Arkansas opened and that fits for Cal.
45-70Ag
AG
Kentucky isn't being hamstrung with a buyout for firing cal, paying Oates buyout isn't too far fetched.
Agthatbuilds
I'd be livid if I were an arky fan.
rangerdanger
AG
Replacing one Basketball Jimbo with another Basketball Jimbo.

UK going to be frightening now.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Don't think anyone saw this coming as of a couple days ago. Fascinating.
PJYoung
AG
45-70Ag said:

Kentucky isn't being hamstrung with a buyout for firing cal, paying Oates buyout isn't too far fetched.

Yeah it's almost like UK just had 33 million fall into their laps.
agent-maroon
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

I blame the eclipse.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
halfastros81
AG
Ole Miss and Kst want to keep their coach .
TexasAGGIEinAR
Nobody does less with more than Calipari. Buzz has owned him, so please sign the deal. It's gonna be fun watching basketball Jimbo Fisher collapse this fanbase up here.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Feels like a jimbo hire. Lots of skins on the wall, but mostly from a previous era (pre-nil), but everyone that wants to will ignore the most recent past to hold up the glory years.

Will be fascinating.
MarcAg
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Scott Drew to Kentucky
Grant McCasland to Baylor
Chris Beard back to Tech

No chance in hell on 3. But if that first domino falls, I agree with the second.
Double Diamond
Tech will never take Beard back. Besides few schools can take the black eye of hiring that man.
missinAggieland
AG
TAMUallen said:

This has to be a joke unless UK is somehow strongly pushing Cal out.

Where in the hell is Arkie getting this money? Waltons?

Money is from Tyson chicken. And oh so many wanted Cal out. Pressure started early in the season.
TopoTacos
AG
Stolen from Twitter
Kellso
Something tells me that Rick Pitino will be back in blue.
Iowaggie
AG
PJYoung said:

45-70Ag said:

Yeah it's almost like UK just had 33 million fall into their laps.

I wonder if Kentucky is assisting with the hire. Maybe not 33 mm, but some money going to Arkansas to pay to take him. It helps both programs.
Iowaggie
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Credit Cal. If you can't make the NCAA Title game, make news to get talked about during the game.

PJYoung
AG
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

Feels like a jimbo hire. Lots of skins on the wall, but mostly from a previous era (pre-nil), but everyone that wants to will ignore the most recent past to hold up the glory years.

Will be fascinating.
Not to mention the previous fanbase was ready to fire him.
Proposition Joe
Rare instance when it's a great hire for both teams.
JJxvi
AG
It's fascinating to see how broad of differences there are in how fanbases view certain coaches. Based on X, Kentucky fans would rather have Buzz Williams than Scott Drew, but like Arkansas fans wanted no part of Buzz Williams.
Muy
AG
Arkie buddy thinks the Tyson family and JB Hunt family are the big basketball donors for Arkie
agent-maroon
AG
Kellso said:

I scoffed... at first.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BuzzFan24
Imagine letting go of Cal.

Hey I get it, Jim Collins - good to great. But as a fan base, every March you truly believe and have reason to believe, your squad is going to win it all with the talent on your roster. And then you fire that guy that's leading that charge. Bold strategy.
AgLA06
AG
agent-maroon said:

Pumpkinhead said:

I blame the eclipse.
If no one sees it, is it real?!?

Probably the work of the illuminati.
Proposition Joe
BuzzFan24 said:

Imagine letting go of Cal.

Hey I get it, Jim Collins - good to great. But as a fan base, every March you truly believe and have reason to believe, your squad is going to win it all with the talent on your roster. And then you fire that guy that's leading that charge. Bold strategy.

Except that's basically UK basketball since the 1930's. Before Calipari, Tubby Smith had them believing every year they could win it all. Before Smith, Rick Pitino had them believing every year they could win it all. Before Pitino, Joe Hall had them believing every year they could win it all. Before Hall, Adolph Rupp had them believing every year they could win it all.

Really BCG has been their only hire the last 90 years that hasn't kept that machine going (Sutton didn't work out but that was due to NCAA infractions).
20ag07
Quote:

He's 71. Kentucky just had a coach for 15 years, they aren't hiring a 71yo.
BuzzFan24
Huge risk. But, the fan base drove him off not the admin I'm sure.

I'm just not sure there's someone available that's going to keep the aurora alive in this new NIL era like Cal would.
Aston04
AG
TAMUallen said:

BLSmith04 said:

TAMUallen said:

Tyson chicken. Apparently Cal's close with some of the big wigs there.

Seems like that's the rumor

But if you start having large corporations being the funding source of a program and tied to NIL, I see NIL having a massive overhaul quite quickly
This is unsubstantiated hype. If Arkansas had overwhelming NIL money they'd be tearing up football recruiting and the transfer portal. They care about winning in football too (isn't like Kansas or something)...
Aston04
AG
JJxvi said:

It's fascinating to see how broad of differences there are in how fanbases view certain coaches. Based on X, Kentucky fans would rather have Buzz Williams than Scott Drew, but like Arkansas fans wanted no part of Buzz Williams.
That said, I really doubt Kentucky seriously consider another A&M coach known for gritty teams and not a stud recruiter.
BLSmith04
AG
20ag07 said:

If we thought the Arky search was wild, the Kentucky search is going to be more so.

Nate Oats' contract has an $18M buyout to Bama if he leaves in the next 2 years. That's just not happening.

Apparently UK's boosters had already put together the $33M they needed to pay Cal's buyout. They can totally pay the $18M to get Oates if they want him.
BQ_90
AG
How does NIL change anything, he had just as much NIL at UK. Is Cal really gonna change anything with different color pullover on?
hogfan14
Aston04 said:

TAMUallen said:

BLSmith04 said:

TAMUallen said:

Tyson chicken. Apparently Cal's close with some of the big wigs there.

Seems like that's the rumor

But if you start having large corporations being the funding source of a program and tied to NIL, I see NIL having a massive overhaul quite quickly
This is unsubstantiated hype. If Arkansas had overwhelming NIL money they'd be tearing up football recruiting and the transfer portal. They care about winning in football too (isn't like Kansas or something)...

The Tyson money is mainly coming because of the relationship with Calipari. People like Pittman in football but I don't think many have the confidence in him to just throw that kind of money in NIL toward it when it wouldn't make that much of a dent. Maybe when the new coach is hired it will be more of a focus

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.