Aggies trying to be aggressive

93,970 Views | 778 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Method Man
MarcAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggies have offered a transfer from Auburn and from College of Charleston in last week. I don't think they land either. But it shows they aren't siting around saying "well we don't have any scholarships" and will be aggressive in the off-season if there are people that can help. So they either know somebody isn't coming back or just know they will make room.
agtrevino07
AG
Auburn transfer Josh Powell seems to be heading to Kentucky (he is from Louisville). Who is the other transfer from Charleston?
MarcAg
AG
Yeah like I said I don't think we land either, but I was more interested we are at least trying to add pieces despite not currently having room.

CC kid is Zep Jasper. He's a scoring guard.
agtrevino07
AG
Thanks for sharing! Yes, I agree that it is good to see the coaching staff trying to get help. The CC transfer is an oder scoring guard (23 years old) and showed steady progress throughout the last 3 years:

2020-21 15.6 ppg/ 2.6 APG / 3.7 RPG / 87.5% FT / 34.5% 3P / 43.7 FG
2019-20 7.6 ppg/ 1.7 APG / 1.7 RPG / 89.0% FT / 36.4% 3P / 40.2 FG
2018-19 5.4 ppg/ 1.3 APG / 2.2 RPG / 76.0% FT / 40.0% 3P / 39.6 FG

The last couple of solid guards we got from a mid-majors were Anthony Collins (2015-16 South Florida) and JC Hamptom (2016-17 Lipscomb). Collins became particularly an important piece during the sweet 16 run that included the Northern Iowa miracle.
MarcAg
AG
He's from Georgia and is having a virtual visit with Georgia. Florida and Arkansas also interested in him. So don't think we see him in an Aggie uniform.

If any great shooters enter the portal we should offer them.
mikesyracuse1
MarcAg said:

He's from Georgia and is having a virtual visit with Georgia. Florida and Arkansas also interested in him. So don't think we see him in an Aggie uniform.

If any great shooters enter the portal we should offer them.

I've watched most of CofC's home games in person since zep jasper was a freshman. He's a very good on ball defender and wasn't relied on to score much until this year because he's been on a team with three pros including high scoring guard grant riller. I hope he does well wherever he goes. He'll have his choice of schools. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at Pitt, but could stay close to home.

Mikesyracuse1
MarcAg
AG
They just offered 2021 PG TyTy Washington who got out of his Creighton scholarship. Again probably not a guy they land, but they are being aggressive and trying to add help for next year.
AggieTFA06
AG
I like the aggression. Hope something comes out of it.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
LawHall88
AG

MarcAg
AG
One thing you have to keep in mind is Aggies are probably going to turn over every stone. They are going to reach out to a lot of these kids. Doesn't mean they ultimately offer them a spot, but a lot of tire kicking. Toney is probably a take unless he just is a problem.
DuncanLEO
MarcAg said:

Aggies have offered a transfer from Auburn and from College of Charleston in last week. I don't think they land either. But it shows they aren't siting around saying "well we don't have any scholarships" and will be aggressive in the off-season if there are people that can help. So they either know somebody isn't coming back or just know they will make room.

How is managing the roster being aggressive? Is it based on the ****show Buzz has produced? Like doing his job is now aggressive.?
AgEfan
So you basically are saying it's impossible for a coach to ever be aggressive in anything because their job is to win. Got it
2nd Generation Ag
March Ag this is what we discussed on the other thread. You will be able to ascertain where they think they are with their actions this spring.

Are they going to go hard in the transfer portal? Are they going to run some kids off to open up scholarships? Maybe an assistant coach change. This will tell us they know they have to kick it up a notch and do so quickly. Its now become we need to win now instead of rebuilding slowly.

EO718
MarcAg
AG
I think we all know they need to drastically improve the talent. That's one thing we can all agree on. The talent was not there this year.

I don't see an assistant coach change unless a guy leaves for a better job or Buzz just feels somebody simply isn't working hard. Buzz is super loyal to his assistants, so I think it would take a lot for him to get rid of somebody.
Ag_EE_88
AG
If the talent isn't there, is that not on Buzz? All the guys that are left are his guys. He's never had to settle for guys he didn't want. Are y'all saying that there is an issue with Buzz being able to evaluate talent?
MarcAg
AG
Of course it's on Buzz
_lefraud_
AG
Good coaches are (or should be) looking to improve their roster. Sometimes coaches will take a "flyer" on a guy, just to fill the spot...as that can be better than leaving it open. Kennedy rarely (if ever) used all 13 scholarships each year.

Some people don't like the approach, but it's all about trying to improve your roster year in and year out.
bobinator
AG
Ag_EE_88 said:

Are y'all saying that there is an issue with Buzz being able to evaluate talent?

Not necessarily. I think there have been some misses for sure, but that's not that unusual. Our program is probably always going to be built on getting fringe three/four stars and coaching them up and then occasionally, hopefully, sprinkling in a truly good prospect. When you do that, not all your signees are going to work out. Our freshman and sophomores are all kind of that mold where they need to be coached up and get experience, but we've already seen Gordon improve some and Miller improve dramatically so that gives me some hope that that part of the recipe is there, we'll see more next year when we have a normal off-season.

But these days, especially if you're not a top tier program, you need to be aggressive in the transfer market every year.

If anything, our biggest miss so far is that this years seniors never were as good as we'd hoped they'd be. Starks never played a game for Buzz, Chandler was never more than a wildcard and Flagg just never could quite seem to take the next step. All three were top 15 players in the state and Flagg was a national top 60 guy. And we have no juniors at all.
Method Man
You can't spell aggressive without Aggie amirite????
LawHall88
AG
MarcAg
AG
LawHall88 said:

He would be a great addition and take Flagg's spot in the lineup. He is 6'6 and has a reputation as a very good defender. He has good athleticism. His assist numbers would have been 2nd on our team. His rebound numbers would have been 2nd on our team. His scoring numbers would have been 2nd on our team. Last season he dropped 27 at Duke. He's going to get a lot of interest.
bobinator
AG
Watching Baylor so much this year, I wish we could find a guy like Mark Vital. That's kind of who I always hoped Flagg would become (different body style, but I just mean that role of a guy that makes things happen all over the court.)

One of our big issues this year is we were better offensively when we were small, but we didn't have that guy that would go in there and mix it up and help Miller clean up the boards.

Seems like every time there's a loose ball in a Baylor game, Vital is on the floor, or poking it back out, just doing whatever it takes to keep plays alive. We need more of that.
MarcAg
AG
One note on Toney from his bio- "Held offers from Virginia Tech, Virginia, Providence, Connecticut, Kansas State and Rhode Island before signing with Pitt" So he and Buzz have some kind of relationship.
greg.w.h
AG
I'll post separately...
LawHall88
AG
Method Man
rlb28
AG
Vanderbilt guard Max Evans (Houston Bellaire) is transferring. Averaged 8.2 ppg. and is a grad transfer.
LawHall88
AG
MarcAg
AG
Jones has shot 40% from three last two seasons, I don't hate that.
LawHall88
AG
MarcAg
AG
LawHall88 said:

We can't have a Wheeler on the team. Will create too much confusion on if people are talking about the Wheeler we go or the other wheeler.
LawHall88
AG
Proposition Joe
bobinator said:

Ag_EE_88 said:

Are y'all saying that there is an issue with Buzz being able to evaluate talent?

Not necessarily. I think there have been some misses for sure, but that's not that unusual. Our program is probably always going to be built on getting fringe three/four stars and coaching them up and then occasionally, hopefully, sprinkling in a truly good prospect.

I get what you are saying, but we're paying Buzz a Top 10 salary - if we're just hoping to and 3/4* fringe prospects and a stud every once in a while then we might as well have just either gone bargain shopping and hope to find the next Beard/BCG/etc... or go with a known recruiter without much coaching prowess.

Paying $4m a year to need to coach fringe guys up -- and then not being able to actually do that the first 2 years - is a colossally poor investment.
BrandoC
AG
Yea just a year to late to be doing this....
wacarnolds
AG
Proposition Joe said:

bobinator said:

Ag_EE_88 said:

Not necessarily. I think there have been some misses for sure, but that's not that unusual. Our program is probably always going to be built on getting fringe three/four stars and coaching them up and then occasionally, hopefully, sprinkling in a truly good prospect.

I get what you are saying, but we're paying Buzz a Top 10 salary - if we're just hoping to and 3/4* fringe prospects and a stud every once in a while then we might as well have just either gone bargain shopping and hope to find the next Beard/BCG/etc... or go with a known recruiter without much coaching prowess.

Paying $4m a year to need to coach fringe guys up -- and then not being able to actually do that the first 2 years - is a colossally poor investment.

We hired Buzz Williams, whose career has been built on successfully coaching up 3 stars and 4 stars, because that formula works for a school like A&M.

Results in Year 1 and Year 2 have been lackluster, but I don't think we hired him because we demanded results immediately. We hired him, presumably, to build a program his way and win a bunch of games for a bunch of years.

The salary argument seems like a red herring. We paid him what it took to get him away from a job roughly equal to ours. The amount we're paying him does not change who he is, or what he's capable of.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.