Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Laugh at Chuy's all you want…..

15,940 Views | 144 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by austinag1997
B-1 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
But this stuff is good. Their cilantro-lime-jalapeno dip.

https://www.modernhoney.com/chuys-creamy-jalapeno-cilantro-dip-dressing/

That, and their tortilla soup
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
AgBQ-00
AG
I don't get the Chuy's hate. Lots of stuff there to like
You do not have a soul. You are a soul that has a body.

We sing Hallelujah! The Lamb has overcome!
AggieOO
they fail the first test of mexican food restuarants.

if the salsa isn't good, just go ahead and leave.

The salsa test will tell you everything you need to know. I've found places that have good salsa and food was mediocre, but i've never been to place that had terrible salsa and good food. Chuy's "salsa" is basically pico.
AgBQ-00
AG
meh...stupid barometer for a restaurant. But to each their own.
You do not have a soul. You are a soul that has a body.

We sing Hallelujah! The Lamb has overcome!
CDub06
AG
Chuy's salsa is delicious.
Next Year is the Year
AG
Chuy's has a few things they do well so I don't completely get the hate. However, their salsa definitely sucks
justnobody79
AgBQ-00 said:

I don't get the Chuy's hate. Lots of stuff there to like
1. the prices
2. the wait time
3. the food (other than chips and whatever dip you like)
fido00
AG
Their prices are pretty good for the amount of food you get. Even my 70+ y/o parents like it for the value.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Chuy's is like the Carrabba's of Tex-Mex. It's pretty good for a mega chain, better than places like Olive Garden and On the Border. I think they're losing money though, as they are starting to close some of their restaurants around the country. My father in law, who lives in Kansas City, was disappointed that the KC location closed.
javajaws
AG
Next Year is the Year said:

Chuy's has a few things they do well so I don't completely get the hate. However, their salsa definitely sucks
Worse "salsa" of any tex-mex joint I've been to. That's why I skip it and order a side of boom boom sauce.
AggieOO
AgBQ-00 said:

call it stupid, but its very accurate.

If you like chuy's salsa, then you'll probably like their crappy food too. still works.
bigtruckguy3500
I went to Chuy's for the first time a few weeks ago in Austin. I thought it was pretty good. Nothing ground breaking, but pretty decent Tex-Mex. My friends/coworkers I was with from everywhere but Texas enjoyed it too. Could've probably found better, but good atmosphere, good seating for the group, and pretty good overall.
Sazerac
AG
Their quality went way down hill years ago.

I still really like their version of salsa and their hatch green chile sauce. I'll still go once a year or so for those and a Mexican martini.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Their salsa is a hell of a lot better than the crap at Blue Goose.
Staff - take out the trash.
Al Bula
AG
Weird thread
Moral High Horse
Went to a mex place in ABQ and their salsa was awesome. Terrible food entrees though.
Slicer97
AG
The Kenney Store version is better.

It should've been Elvis BoomBoom Chicken instead of Elvis Green Chile Chicken. Elvis Chicken with BoomBoom is the only thing worth getting at Chuy's (well, their chips are pretty good).
DatTallArchitect
AG
AggieOO said:

AgBQ-00 said:

If you like chuy's salsa, then you'll probably like their crappy food too. still works.
I don't like their salsa, but I love their steak burrito with the hatch sauce
Max Power
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

AggieOO said:

AgBQ-00 said:

Been years since I was in a Chuy's but they used to have a green chile fried chicken dish with the hatch sauce and it was great. Not sure if they still make that though.
fav13andac1)c
AG
If you don't like pico, I understand, but then again, I can't understand how someone wouldn't like pico when they like salsa.

At any rate, it doesn't claim to be a salsa and goes by salsa fresca (aka PICO DE GALLO) according to their website. So, not fair to say it's a terrible salsa and is basically just pico, when that is exactly what it IS.

Bottom line is it's delicious.
ftworthag02
AG
I'm not a huge fan of the pico but when you dip your chip in the pico and then the liquid crack, damn thats good.
Been eating at chuys since my brother dropped out of unt and headed to austin for the music scene in the early 90s. The deluxe chicken enchiladas have always been spot on. The chuychanga w/ queso is greatness. Southwestern enchiladas are still good even without the blue corn tortillas (RIP).
Hwy30East
I love their Salsa Fresca. It's my favorite thing at Chuy's.
FIDO*98*
AG
Chuys does make me wish more places in Texas would have New Mexico style food. New Mexico Red is a nice change of pace from Chili Gravy on cheese enchiladas and Hatch Green is pretty unbeatable at times.
StateofTexas
AG
AggieOO said:

they fail the first test of mexican food restuarants.

if the salsa isn't good, just go ahead and leave.

The salsa test will tell you everything you need to know. I've found places that have good salsa and food was mediocre, but i've never been to place that had terrible salsa and good food. Chuy's "salsa" is basically pico.
And what's wrong with pico, exactly?
schmendeler
AG
Every couple years or so I give them another shot and it's always disappointing. Their ranch dip is tasty, though.
Aggie Therapist
AG
As a Mexican, I agree with your test.

Test one: test their red house salsa
Test two: test their salsa verde
Test three: Combination plate/and or fajitas
Test 3: House margarita,
Test 4: Top Shelf Margarita
Dr. Teeth
AG
Max Power said:

DatTallArchitect said:

AggieOO said:

AgBQ-00 said:

Been years since I was in a Chuy's but they used to have a green chile fried chicken dish with the hatch sauce and it was great. Not sure if they still make that though.
They don't. They got rid of a lot of their menu post-covid. My wife is still mourning their chile rellenos.
AggieOO
Aggie Therapist said:

As a Mexican, I agree with your test.

Test one: test their red house salsa
Test two: test their salsa verde
Test three: Combination plate/and or fajitas
Test 3: House margarita,
Test 4: Top Shelf Margarita
i am on board with this test. and your test two for me is not just salsa verde, but verde enchiladas. I'd also love to see some good mezcal and sotol at the bar if I'm drinking.

doubt i need to tell you this, but another way to fairly accurately determine how good/bad a mexican place is, is their tortillas. I'm not saying they have to make them in-house, but that's a huge bonus. But if they are roughly the equivalent of some old el paso BS, walk out.

yes, i'll admit, i'm a mexican/tex-mex snob. but...i also prefer a place where the tables and chairs don't match, and at least half the people don't speak two words of english. Upscale mexican (not referring to chuys, for clarification) can be good, but i'll take a dive 9 times out of ten over fancy stuff.
AggieOO
fav13andac1)c said:

If you don't like pico, I understand, but then again, I can't understand how someone wouldn't like pico when they like salsa.

At any rate, it doesn't claim to be a salsa and goes by salsa fresca (aka PICO DE GALLO) according to their website. So, not fair to say it's a terrible salsa and is basically just pico, when that is exactly what it IS.

then i'll concede. didn't realize it was supposed to be pico. Never been on their website. Maybe it says on their menu too, but haven't stepped foot in a chuys in years.

That said, when I go to a mexican place, I want chips and salsa, not chips and pico. Yes, they are the basically the same ingredients, but there's obviously a difference between pico and salsa.
Aggie Therapist
AG
I agree with everything you said!

Even if we have the same standards, our taste preferences will probably be different. As a round rock guy with 2 kids and one on the way, I don't venture to the good stuff in Austin. Some great trucks down there. So here is my current stomping grounds.

1. Santiago's. Only complaint is the chips. Their nacho chips are fresh but their chips and salsa chips are generic. But their house margs and salsa is banging. I can walk to this location on 620.

2. Camino Real in North Austin. This is your hole in the wall spot in a shopping center but the food and serving size is AMAZING. They use the iconic yellow cheese that melts in your mouth but still in shreds on the plate. Please try this place.

3. Mesa Rosa. Food is subpar and I don't like it. But they have a giant playground in the back and my wife and I can enjoy an adult convo while kids tire themselves out.

I'm open to more spots if you have them!
SoTxAg
AG
Home made or nada!
(In reality i pretty much like anything anyone calls salsa or pico.)

fav13andac1)c
AG
AggieOO said:

fav13andac1)c said:

then i'll concede. didn't realize it was supposed to be pico. Never been on their website. Maybe it says on their menu too, but haven't stepped foot in a chuys in years.

That said, when I go to a mexican place, I want chips and salsa, not chips and pico. Yes, they are the basically the same ingredients, but there's obviously a difference between pico and salsa.

I can certainly understand that when you walk into a Mexican restaurant, there is an expectation for what type of salsa you receive, and that Chuy's does that part differently. I can also understand not knowing how they classify their own salsa, as it isn't heavily advertised to my knowledge, and again, there's an inherent expectation. I respect your opinion and taste buds, and wish you the best.
MW03
AG
Anyone else ever grow up calling it "chips and hot sauce"? What we call pico now we always called salsa, and what we call salsa now, we just called "hot sauce."

Anyway, my old man's Tex Mex Test Plate:
Chips and hot sauce
One cheese enchilada
One cheese taco

A strike on any one disqualified a return. "If they can't get that right, they won't get the rest of it right." If they didn't know what a "cheese taco" was, it was an immediate DQ and back to the car. Well, not really, but it might as well have been.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yea we used hot sauce interchangeably with salsa similar to what you mention.
Bruce Almighty
AG
If salsa is hot sauce, then what do you call hot sauce?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.