Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Laugh at Chuy's all you want…..

16,265 Views | 144 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by austinag1997
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

If salsa is hot sauce, then what do you call hot sauce?
Hot sauce. Or you call the hot sauce by the brand name.
MW03
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

If salsa is hot sauce, then what do you call hot sauce?

Well now, hot sauce is like a shaken condiment you put on stuff. Back in the day, there was really only ever one that was around very often - Tabasco - so pretty much everything in that vein was called "Tabasco" like how "Kleenex" is used.

I didn't know if it was a regional thing. My dad and his people were all from the valley, and that was just what we called it.

Hot Sauce was usually served in something like this that just sat at the table, and you self-served it into little black bowls or just poured it over your food.

Always room temperature, extreme spice. Very, very smooth with like zero chunks. This stuff was thin. You could dip a cantina chip in it with no worries about snapping that bad boy off.

schmendeler
AG
MW03 said:

Anyone else ever grow up calling it "chips and hot sauce"? What we call pico now we always called salsa, and what we call salsa now, we just called "hot sauce."

Anyway, my old man's Tex Mex Test Plate:
Chips and hot sauce
One cheese enchilada
One cheese taco

A strike on any one disqualified a return. "If they can't get that right, they won't get the rest of it right." If they didn't know what a "cheese taco" was, it was an immediate DQ and back to the car. Well, not really, but it might as well have been.

What is a "cheese taco"?
MW03
AG
schmendeler said:

MW03 said:

Anyone else ever grow up calling it "chips and hot sauce"? What we call pico now we always called salsa, and what we call salsa now, we just called "hot sauce."

Anyway, my old man's Tex Mex Test Plate:
Chips and hot sauce
One cheese enchilada
One cheese taco

A strike on any one disqualified a return. "If they can't get that right, they won't get the rest of it right." If they didn't know what a "cheese taco" was, it was an immediate DQ and back to the car. Well, not really, but it might as well have been.

What is a "cheese taco"?

A cheese enchilada covered in queso instead of chile con carne.
schmendeler
AG
I don't think I've ever encountered this in a restaurant on the menu.
Bruce Almighty
AG
schmendeler said:

I think it's a Dallas thing. I've never seen it in Houston, but did see it on Dallas menus when I lived there.
schmendeler
AG
Ah, interesting
EclipseAg
AG
MW03 said:

Anyone else ever grow up calling it "chips and hot sauce"?

The original Chili's menu -- back when Chili's was unique and not just another chain -- used the term "tostadas and hot sauce."

We never called them tostadas, but we did use the term "hot sauce" to refer to salsa.
texasaggie2015
AG
I do like the sauce the OP posted but generally I'm not a fan of Chuy's.

That said- when I lived in upstate South Carolina, there was obviously little to no TexMex options. Chuy's in Greenville was the best option. I went there often.
Aggie Dad 26
AgBQ-00 said:

I don't get the Chuy's hate. Lots of stuff there to like

Chuy's was once one of my favorite restaurants. It was definitely a go-to restaurant if I had guests coming into town or was on a date. That was the 90s and early 2000s

It has changed significantly and not for the better
Aggie Dad 26
AggieOO said:

AgBQ-00 said:

meh...stupid barometer for a restaurant. But to each their own.
call it stupid, but its very accurate.

If you like chuy's salsa, then you'll probably like their crappy food too. still works.

Do you remember when there was only 2, Chuy's, restaurants and both were in Austin? How can a place be so terrible and have had so much success that they've spread like the plague?
GAC06
AG
There are over 1,600 Applebee's
Aggie Dad 26
GAC06 said:

There are over 1,600 Applebee's
Yes, and a bunch have closed since 2017. More are closing this year. Chuy's continues to grow each year
bonfarr
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

I loved Chuy's but the one closest to me in SA took a definite downturn in quality during Covid and hasn't rebounded. The food isn't as good and a lot more service issues.
Garrelli 5000
AG
schmendeler said:

This sounds like crazy talk but I grew up in the DFW area.

It is more often called a "soft cheese taco" because just saying cheese taco sounds like you'll get a crispy shell with shredded cheese.

My baseline to judge a tex-mex join is a cheese enchilada dinner, one with chile con carne, one with queso.
texasaggie2015
AG
Yep for me it's always a cheese enchilada plate.
TXAG 05
AG
I always felt like cheese enchiladas are a waste when you can get them with meat.
StinkyPinky
AG
schmendeler said:

Its usually not menus. You have to order it sub queso for the carne. Very common.
jetch17
AG
OG 9-1-1 Hotplate
schmendeler
AG
StinkyPinky said:

schmendeler said:

Its usually not menus. You have to order it sub queso for the carne. Very common.

I mean the concept of a queso drenched cheese enchilada isn't that wild to me. (Sounds tasty) I imagine most places would oblige the request. I was more curious that it had a name and that it was so common place for the other poster that it was a non-negotiable for his pops at a tex Mex joint.
Aggie Dad 26
bonfarr said:

AgBQ-00 said:

I loved Chuy's but the one closest to me in SA took a definite downturn in quality during Covid and hasn't rebounded. The food isn't as good and a lot more service issues.
This. For starters the menu is now a fraction of itself among other things. Please bring back the "Chuy's Special"
The Milkman
AG
TXAG 05 said:

I always felt like cheese enchiladas are a waste when you can get them with meat.
Agreed. I've never actually ordered a cheese enchilada. When it comes in a combo plate I'll eat it, but 100 times out of 100 I'll choose one with meat.
StinkyPinky
AG
schmendeler said:

StinkyPinky said:

schmendeler said:

I mean the concept of a queso drenched cheese enchilada isn't that wild to me. (Sounds tasty) I imagine most places would oblige the request. I was more curious that it had a name and that it was so common place for the other poster that it was a non-negotiable for his pops at a tex Mex joint.
Good question!
schmendeler
AG
A cheese enchilada is the quintessential dish of Tex Mex, imo. If i want meat, I'll get a taco, or fajitas, or something else. Meat is unwelcome inside a cheese enchilada.

There's nothing wrong with a ground beef or fajita beef or chicken enchilada. But it's a different thing.

Not everything is better with meat. Heresy, i know.
StinkyPinky
AG
schmendeler said:

A cheese enchilada is the quintessential dish of Tex Mex, imo. If i want meat, I'll get a taco, or fajitas, or something else. Meat is unwelcome inside a cheese enchilada.

There's nothing wrong with a ground beef or fajita beef or chicken enchilada. But it's a different thing.

Yep. Cheese enchiladas is comfort food at its best.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Cheese enchiladas, grilled cheese and mac and cheese. When done right, no meat is needed.
Aggie Dad 26
schmendeler said:

I haven't ordered cheese enchiladas in years, maybe 20+ years. I need substance, I need protein.

Enchilada verdes, or queso beef enchiladas with the restaurant's salsa poured over the top or GTFO
texasaggie2015
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Cheese enchiladas, grilled cheese and mac and cheese. When done right, no meat is needed.
Bingo
Bruce Almighty
AG
Aggie Class of 2026 said:

schmendeler said:

I haven't ordered cheese enchiladas in years, maybe 20+ years. I need substance, I need protein.

Enchilada verdes, or queso beef enchiladas with the restraunts salsa poured over the top or GTFO
Username doesn't check out.
Aggie Dad 26
My daughter is class of 26'
My username was created over that. I'm 44 years old
StinkyPinky
AG
Aggie Class of 2026 said:

My daughter is class of 26'
My username was created over that. I'm 44 years old
Just call him Hedge like everyone else
Velvet Jones
AG
Cheese enchiladas with a fried egg is the perfect comfort food.
Aggies76
AG
They have my favorite chicken tortilla soup. Chicken broth base, no tomato.
B-1 83
AG
Aggies76 said:

Theres tomato in there…….just a few chopped fresh ones. My favorite tortilla soup, also, and I'm close to imitating it.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Aggies76
AG
B-1 83 said:

Aggies76 said:

Theres tomato in there…….just a few chopped fresh ones. My favorite tortilla soup, also, and I'm close to imitating it.

When you get it down, I'd love the recipe. And I love the chopped fresh tomatoes, just not tomato broth.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.