Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************PIZZA THREAD******************

72,571 Views | 356 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by jwag
SpiderDude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need some help on my dough to figure out what I'm doing wrong? I've been following a sourdough pizza dough recipe. This one... https://goodthingsbaking.com/sourdough-pizza-crust/#tasty-recipes-3671-jump-target

However, the dough is very hard to work with. It's very "wet" and not a lot of strength to it. I'll dust it like crazy on top and bottom but by the time I roll it out it's stuck to the floured surface! Then I try to scrape it off and either end up tearing it or pushing it back together to the point I have to start all over. I'm thinking maybe I'm over-proofing it?! I've been letting it cold ferment in the fridge for several days before using it. The only way I can get it to work for pizza is par baking it first before putting toppings on it. Is it the over-proofing or do I just need to back off on the moisture content???
Smoochie-Wallace II
SpiderDude said:

I need some help on my dough to figure out what I'm doing wrong? I've been following a sourdough pizza dough recipe. This one... https://goodthingsbaking.com/sourdough-pizza-crust/#tasty-recipes-3671-jump-target

However, the dough is very hard to work with. It's very "wet" and not a lot of strength to it. I'll dust it like crazy on top and bottom but by the time I roll it out it's stuck to the floured surface! Then I try to scrape it off and either end up tearing it or pushing it back together to the point I have to start all over. I'm thinking maybe I'm over-proofing it?! I've been letting it cold ferment in the fridge for several days before using it. The only way I can get it to work for pizza is par baking it first before putting toppings on it. Is it the over-proofing or do I just need to back off on the moisture content???
After looking at that recipe, .5 cup of sourdough starter is 113 grams, 1.5 cups of flour is 187 grams, .5 cup of water is roughly 120 grams. Since sourdough starter contains water, you're basically over 100% hydration, so yeah, your dough is going to be too wet.

I don't agree with all of this video (his final product looks terrible because he burns tf out of the basil), but this video has some solid principles on making sourdough pizza.

He's obviously using a lot more flour and water than you because he's making dough for four pizzas instead of one. I don't like her directions in that recipe because what she's recommending is closer to a recipe for using instant yeast instead of sourdough. They're different, and you need to treat them different. You want the starter to be broken down in the water, almost more of a liquid you're adding to the flour rather than a solid.

If you're going to only use 1.5 cups of flour, I'd mix in the starter, and slowly introduce water, a literal tablespoon at a time, to the mixture while kneading it. You need to get it to a certain level of hydration, but adding half a cup of water is too much, imo.

I don't think you're overproofing it by leaving it in the fridge for several days, but I also don't see the point of a multi-day ferment. This is sourdough, it just needs to do its bulk rise and you're ready to go. You do a multi-day cold ferment for yeast dough so it develops taste and texture. After the bulk ferment, sourdough has its taste and texture.
SpiderDude
AG
Thank you!!!
Azul88
AG
SpiderDude said:

Assuming your sourdough starter is at a 50/50 water to flour ratio, the hydration level for that recipe comes in at about 83%, I believe. That is a pretty high hydration dough, especially if you aren't used to working with it. Most doughs seem to be in the 70-75% range for hydration. If you want to make a sourdough crust, you may want to try this recipe https://amybakesbread.com/sourdough-pizza-oven-pizza/#recipe. I haven't made this one exactly, but I have made many items off this website with great success. I have not been disappointed with any of her recipes, so I feel confident it is a good one. If you try it out, let us know how it goes. I may give it a whirl later this week as well.

Good luck!
mneisch
AG
4 days was too long of a cold ferment for me. I think my sweet spot might be 2 days using the Serious Eats recipe (https://www.seriouseats.com/basic-neapolitan-pizza-dough-recipe). Getting better at the cook though. Having a proper turning peel makes a huge difference.

jc1402
AG
Any recs for store bought pizza dough? Just recently got an Ooni 12" and not quite ready to start trying to make my own dough yet. I'd like a few test runs with store bought ingredients before I try my hand at my own dough and sauce.
jwag
AG
Trader Joe's

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.