Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************PIZZA THREAD******************

59,000 Views | 324 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by bbqAg09
Buzzy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://instagr.am/p/CpGqGUtLEgf
Wild West Pimp Style
EFE
AG
Been a minute since I tried my hand at Pizza, bought the dough from breadsmith, normally just use the frozen dough balls from HEB, there's a lot more rise in the breadsmith dough
Buzzy

Big Green Egg?
Wild West Pimp Style
EFE
AG
RecTec Bullseye
Sorrell Booke
https://imgur.io/a/DmPxF6x
Chipotlemonger
AG
Sorrell Booke said:

Yum
Buzzy
Sorrell Booke said:

https://imgur.io/a/DmPxF6x
The goat cheese doesn't melt much, huh?
Wild West Pimp Style
Sorrell Booke
It doesn't melt but it softens and adds creaminess. I didn't think it was possible but I added too much bacon. The bacon overwhelmed the potatoes and even the onions.

Btw, thanks for helping me post the images. One day I will figure that out.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Going to try out this recipe soon. I've been looking for a great crispy crust. What I'm really intrigued about is being able to freeze the dough.

betadawg1
AG
If anyone is looking at the Gozney Dome I have one available. I have the propane/wood model in bone with the stand. I love it but have decided to build an outdoor kitchen and want to go natural gas. I'm sticking with the dome just need the natural gas/wood model. LMK if you are interested and maybe we can work something out.
SpiderDude
AG
Made the Tipo "00" recipe right off the package. Used Bertolli Olive Oil, Basil and Garlic sauce. Fresh mozz, Peppers Salami, Spicy Soppressata, and Italian Dry Salami (combo pack from the Heeb). Made a "stuffed crust" with some extra mozz. Brushed the crust with olive oil. Little bit of fresh basil and hit it with fresh parm after taking out of the oven. One of my better efforts.

Edit: Baked at 450 on convection in a grill pan that has holes in it. You get the same effect as setting direct on the oven rack without dealing with raw crust that tends to stick or fall through the oven rack.
Azul88
AG
We just got a Roccbox and have liked it so far. We have not been able to get the bottom crust as crunchy as we can achieve in the oven on a stone. We have been been preheating it 45 minutes and using a 70% hydration dough. We have tried different cooking times, ranging from 2-3 minutes along with different crust thicknesses, but same results. Pizzas taste great, just not super crisp on the bottom toward the center.

Any suggestions to help us achieve the extra crispy crust we are looking for?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Towards center? What size pies are you making? Maybe a smaller pie would be a bandage to the situation.
Azul88
AG
The pies are about 8-9 inches in diameter, so not huge. We did try turning the oven off so the tops would stop cooking and sticking them back in there, which worked, but it seems like there would be a better way. Thanks for your suggestion. Maybe I will try one with almost no toppings and a little smaller to test it out. Looks like I need to make some pizza dough this week.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Just a thought I had based on what you had said! I'm a novice at pizza making. This same dough recipe performs better on the stone?

Maybe a recipe edit is needed for the new process.
Azul88
AG
That's what I am going to try this week. Will make a small batch of dough and play with the recipe a little. Also will test topping placement and see if that makes a difference.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
After finally making it up to New Haven, I was looking for an Apizza dough recipe. I found this one earlier this week, and I was not disappointed. This will be my go-to for the foreseeable future.

Cowboy Curtis
AG
Do you mind posting the dough recipe?
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
He put the recipe in the comments section of the video, so I don't have a link, but here are the screen shots that I took.

fav13andac1)c
AG
Thanks for sharing. Curious if the rest period with just flour/water, then kneading the salt and yeast makes a noticeable difference? It's not something I've done before because I've been skeptical of its necessity. But if it makes an appreciable difference then obviously it's worth it.
RustyBoltz
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

Thanks for sharing. Curious if the rest period with just flour/water, then kneading the salt and yeast makes a noticeable difference? It's not something I've done before because I've been skeptical of its necessity. But if it makes an appreciable difference then obviously it's worth it.
It does. It's called autolyse. Do not skip.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
^ What he said.
fav13andac1)c
AG
RustyBoltz said:

fav13andac1)c said:

It does. It's called autolyse. Do not skip.

I'll give it a shot next time. Thanks!
fav13andac1)c
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

Going to try out this recipe soon. I've been looking for a great crispy crust. What I'm really intrigued about is being able to freeze the dough.

I made Kenji's Chicago tavern style pizza recently and I thought it was good. I made a cooked sauce for it, which I felt was a mistake. I think a fresh sauce would go better with such a thin crust. Regardless, the crust was really good. Very crispy and no flop at all, which is what I was going for. I'll make it again for sure.

In case you haven't watched the video, the special technique here is that the rolled crust is "cured," meaning that it is left uncovered overnight to dry out. The top, exposed side of the crust then becomes the bottom. Should help achieve a crisp texture. Overall, it delivers.

fav13andac1)c
AG
Seems like the main difference according to the article is that autolyse makes the dough more extensible and easier to roll out. I typically don't have a problem with extensibility, but it would be fun to try it out anyway. Again, thank you for sharing. Always down to try new (to me) techniques. That's what makes pizza and bread so fun!

Quote:

I wasn't able to discern a significant difference in crumb color, aroma or flavor in the baguettes that included an autolyse. I suspect those with more sensitive noses and tongues may notice these differences better than I can.
FIDO*98*
AG
I had planned on a Detroit Style pizza for dinner, but had some leftovers so decided to mix things up and busted out the 1/8 sheet pans. Killed off some leftover meatballs in the front, leftover barbacoa and sliced onion, and thick sliced pepperoni in the back.
justanotheroldAg
AG
Late to the party - have you guys ever discussed various types of pepperoni? where to get better, spicy pepperoni as opposed to Hormel? If not making sauce, thoughts on various store brands?
Garrelli 5000
AG
For pepperoni I've enjoyed the sticks I can buy at Centrall Market. It is by the deli area where they also have a lot of pre-sliced cured meats.

I'm 95% sure this is the brand - Molinari and Sons

I haven't checked if these are at the recently built HEB near my house. We only make it to CM a few times a year. I'll check HEB first the next time I want to make pizza since it is 5 minutes vs 20 minutes away.

As far sauce that's a pretty subjective topic. That said I've tried Rao's pizza sauce and we thought it wasn't bad. My only issue w/most store bought sauces are they're far too sweet for my tastes.
Take the trash out staff.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I honestly prefer Kroger's Private Reserve Old World Style Pepperoni over the Boar's Head pepperoni stick. I've considered ordering some from places not locally available to me, but I have yet to pull the trigger.
GAC06
AG
For sauce, a can of San marzanos, basil, some garlic, olive oil, chili flakes, and salt plus a stick blender does the trick.
Garrelli 5000
AG
GAC06 said:

For sauce, a can of San marzanos, basil, some garlic, olive oil, chili flakes, and salt plus a stick blender does the trick.
I typically do something like this, but I was answering a question.
Take the trash out staff.
GAC06
AG
Ah my bad
Garrelli 5000
FIDO*98*
AG
justanotheroldAg said:

Late to the party - have you guys ever discussed various types of pepperoni? where to get better, spicy pepperoni as opposed to Hormel? If not making sauce, thoughts on various store brands?

I like the Battistoni Cup & Char from Amazon
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
I have an abundance of garden tomatoes (celebrity variety). Are these worth turning into pizza sauce and if so, any good methods or recipes worth trying?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.