Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************PIZZA THREAD******************

169,537 Views | 566 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Mathguy64
Btron
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks for the advice and perspective.

I do have a laser thermometer. What should the stone read? 550?
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Btron said:

Thanks for the advice and perspective.

I do have a laser thermometer. What should the stone read? 550?


Probably a good target, maybe 600. In a perfect world hotter, but with a BGE id be worried about the egg itself if it gets too hot. Not the ceramic, but hinges, etc.
Backyard Gator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Btron said:

Thanks for the advice and perspective.

I do have a laser thermometer. What should the stone read? 550?


Yes, 550 is perfect.

If you want Neapolitan style, you're going to need to get it up to 800, and I don't know if that is possible with a BGE.

HTownAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Btron said:

My neighbor has been getting into making pizzas at home. He bought a pizza steel for his oven. So I bought a pizza stone for my BGE. After two weeks of helping him make and eating these pizzas I think I got the bug.

My question for the experts here is: what do I need to make my own at home, independent of my neighbor Pizza Yoda? I'll be using the BGE and a pizza stone. I feel comfortable with that setup, so no need for help there. I'm looking for store-bought dough, sauce, cheese, and go-to topping recommendations. I'm not ready, nor have the time, to jump into making all my own dough and sauce.
I have three kids, so we'll make a cheese-only pizza. They cooked us a pear, prosciutto, and arugula pie, and it was awesome!
I live in North Austin and shop at HEB, Trader Joe's, and Costco.

If you have a pizza place near you that you like, go buy their dough balls. Most places will sell them to you.
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
htxag09 said:

Btron said:

Thanks for the advice and perspective.

I do have a laser thermometer. What should the stone read? 550?


Probably a good target, maybe 600. In a perfect world hotter, but with a BGE id be worried about the egg itself if it gets too hot. Not the ceramic, but hinges, etc.


I have had my BGE up to 800 when I made pizza in it.

The added bonus was it self cleaned my plate setter.
Backyard Gator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mathguy64 said:

htxag09 said:

Btron said:

Thanks for the advice and perspective.

I do have a laser thermometer. What should the stone read? 550?


Probably a good target, maybe 600. In a perfect world hotter, but with a BGE id be worried about the egg itself if it gets too hot. Not the ceramic, but hinges, etc.


I have had my BGE up to 800 when I made pizza in it.

The added bonus was it self cleaned my plate setter.

Were you able to get the Neapolitan-style leoparding on the cornicione?
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This was several years ago when I made my first every pizza on it. I had no idea what I was doing other than getting the stone hot and making a pizza.

I had the plate setter in and the stone elevated off that so the pizza was a bit closer to the dome.

That egg was lava level hot. It had no issues getting there.

I have no clue if that was a good idea or not for pizza. The Ooni I have now I routinely wait for the stone to get above 700.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.