Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2017 Top 50 BBQ Joints

412,350 Views | 2661 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by agfan2013
Quinn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

List will be released on Monday 5/22.
FabricatorAg
San Marcos BBQ is one of the states best kept secrets. Hope he makes list.
OregonAggie
AG
That's gonna make my Monday very unproductive at work...
agfan2013
AG
Looking forward to it
byfLuger41
AG
Cork.
Boat Shoes
AG
Pumped to hear the list and see how it's changed in the last 4 years. A lot of new, great BBQ places hoping to unseat the old classics. Not a fan of the cover.
aggiebq03+
Big Red in a fancy goblet.

CDub06
AG
In
fido00
AG
That is right down the road from my office, it's some pretty good stuff
Chipotlemonger
AG
In
Bigballin
AG
Snow's will be #1 once again.
07ag
AG
Bigballin said:

Snow's will be #1 once again.
hope not,, i've enjoyed the smaller lines the last few years
BMX Bandit
that cover is nails.

describes perfectly the current BBQ "scene"
Bigballin
AG
Sorry bud. Get ready for the lines.
spudag
AG
Bigballin, where did Truth BBQ end up? It's my current favorite. Also, I'm assuming Heim BBQ and Evie Mae's end up in the Top 10 as well.
Wicked Good Ag
There worker from Snow's we talked to at Truth today is expecting about a 30% jump over the next couple of months. He was a huge BBQ person who said Truth will probably double sales over next few months. Also we talked about a couple of places in Arkansas he was intrigued about and the Red Dirt BBQ festival next year as he missed it this year.

Thought Snow and Truth would both be top fve and also thought Zim out of Smithville would easily be on the list. We discussed if they would maybe go to a top ten list this year and also had a partial discussion about "regional" rankings
Bigballin
AG
No clue. Just know about the number one from LeeCo
TwoTimeAg
AG
Texas Monthly's 2017 Top 10
1. Snow's - Lexington
2. Franklin - Austin
3. Cattleack - Dallas
4 Bodacious - Longview
5 Louie Mueller - Taylor
6 Texas Chocolate Craftory - Tomball
7 Corkscrew - Spring
8 Micklewait - Austin
9 Evie Mae's - Wolfforth
10 Truth - Brenham
Quinn
AG
http://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/the-list-the-top-50-barbecue-joints-in-texas/

Full list
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
Was Killen's in the top 10 in previous years?
Wicked Good Ag
Only did a top five last year IIRC and not sure if they even ranked 3-5 after top 2 in 2013

BullSprig07
AG
https://www.facebook.com/KillensBbq/posts/1285261408260507
agfan2013
AG
Well I've been to about half of the top 10, probably wont hit any of the Dallas ones as Im never up that way but will try to make it to some of the Houston area ones. Glad I went to Truth last weekend because Im sure their long line is about to get even longer.

Surprised to see that Black's in Lockhart didnt make the list, I havent been there in over a year but the times I went before that it was some of the best brisket I've ever had. Right up there with Franklin's and Snow's in my opinion.

Also it looks like they did include 2M smokehouse even though they supposedly wouldnt include a place thats been open less than a year. Must be some good bbq, I'm gonna try to make it over there in the next few months.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
Google Map with all of the locations in the top 50
byfLuger41
jja79
AG
Tejas Chocolate Factory is 6? BBQ must be dead. I work in Tomball and have given it a few tries. It's no better than Spring Creek. If you want to try it though you won't have to wait in line because there isn't one.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if Cattleack is in top 10, or even 5. It's tied with Snows at #2 for me.
Well, I had Franklin's at #1, but their top three is also my top 3 so I'm ok with this. I'm also very happy to see Pecan Lodge is no longer in the top 10. Went twice and it sucked both times. Surprised that Meat U Anywhere isn't in top 50. Didn't think they were top 10 but thought they would make list.

CDub, good luck getting into Cattleack now!

EDIT: Couple things that make me happy...

- Heim isn't in top 10. Thought owner was an ******* and food was mediocre. Haven't been to the brick and mortar however, and will give it a try.

- Only 1 Lockhart joint made the list and it wasn't top 10.

- Neither of the crappy dallas "Lockhart" places made it. *****..just saw it did in fact make the list. Boo.
Matsui
MathNewman06
AG
agfan2013 said:

Also it looks like they did include 2M smokehouse even though they supposedly wouldnt include a place thats been open less than a year.

They also included Pinkerton, which hasn't been open long.
CDub06
AG
jja79 said:

Tejas Chocolate Factory is 6? BBQ must be dead. I work in Tomball and have given it a few tries. It's no better than Spring Creek. If you want to try it though you won't have to wait in line because there isn't one.

You wrong. Love me some Tejas.
My thoughts: http://www.texasbbqadventures.com/2016/10/tejas-chocolate-craftory-tomball.html
Stive
AG
Said this on the old thread so I'll post it here as well:

WOW!!! The turn around at Bodacious has been insane!

5 years ago that place was essentially dead in the water, and everyone would have laughed at you if you'd of told them they would be on anyone's top 50 list in the near future. But with their new guy they've shot back up everyone's list!
Quinn
AG
MathNewman06 said:

agfan2013 said:

Also it looks like they did include 2M smokehouse even though they supposedly wouldnt include a place thats been open less than a year.

They also included Pinkerton, which hasn't been open long.
The old list had the requirement of being open a year. The 2017 only had that requirement for Top 10.
CDub06
AG
I have a lot of thoughts on the list.

Number one is: Black's not being on the list is a travesty. It should be top ten.

Snow's is the only joint that deserves taking the crown from Franklin. I think it's an it forced, but I'm not mad at it.

Killen's should be top ten. I would also place Heim & Hutchins in the top ten.

Other notable omissions from the list: Lamberts, Brooks, Kerlin, McMillans, Slow Bone, Jackson Street
Btron
AG
Stive said:

Said this on the old thread so I'll post it here as well:

WOW!!! The turn around at Bodacious has been insane!

5 years ago that place was essentially dead in the water, and everyone would have laughed at you if you'd of told them they would be on anyone's top 50 list in the near future. But with their new guy they've shot back up everyone's list!

I haven't been to a bodacious since I was early at TAMU. My family is from East Texas and as the grandparents passed we had fewer reason to go there. But every time we went we'd hit up Bodacious because it was the best in ETEXAS. Granted a young kid doesn't have a sophisticated palate but I thought it was always damn good bbq. My grandpa would always like eating there because they would use Hickory over Mesquite wood. He hated mesquite, along with Nazi's and dully pick up trucks for some reason.
byfLuger41

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.