Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,330,138 Views | 10733 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Objective Aggie
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone signed up for Roy Piper's "Vintner's Gazette?" I've been on vacation and am just now catching up on emails and I'm about to subscribe. Sounds like he'll be discussing all things wine, Napa and beyond. I've known Roy for over 15 years and I've always introduced him to friends as an Encyclopedia of Napa so I'm pretty excited to support his effort here. $75 a year. Should be good stuff!

https://vintnergazette.com/articles/
WestUAg
AG
I signed up, always enjoy what he brings to the discussion for Napa history and new happennings
cecil77
AG
Read the first issue. Very well written and spot on IMO
inconvenient truth
jh0400
AG
A Puligny-Montrachet to go with some homemade cuttlefish ink pasta with lobster sauce (not pictured).

Objective Aggie
AG
Got engaged and this is the night cap at home.

htxag09
AG
Objective Aggie said:

Got engaged and this is the night cap at home.

Congrats!

And I got one of their wines from a wine folly wine club I was in for awhile, "The Tri Blend"…fitting as I was training for an Ironman.
WestUAg
AG
Congrats.
bularry
WestUAg said:

I signed up, always enjoy what he brings to the discussion for Napa history and new happennings
Have either of y'all read Napa Valley Then and Now by Kelli White? She has an amazing knowledge of the history of the valley.
HTownAg98
Got back last night from a couple of days in Paso Robles. The highlight of the trip was Guillaume Fabre of Clos Solene taking us around the vineyard in his kubota showing us the property and tasting his lineup and some barrel samples of the 2023 vintage. Everyone I asked has said the same thing: 2023 is a stunner, so buy all you can when they hit the market. They all have said it's the best vintage in 20+ years.
WestUAg
AG
Yea I have the book. I have not read it all but I have read portions I'm interested in and use it as a reference for older wines, winemakers and vineyards.
BSD
AG
bularry said:

WestUAg said:

Have either of y'all read Napa Valley Then and Now by Kelli White? She has an amazing knowledge of the history of the valley.

I remember when it was released but I didn't buy it at the time. I can't remember why. Perhaps I'll pick it up. But that reminds me of my first ever wine book, I bought back in 1999.

BSD
AG
Congratulations!!!!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Congratulations!
BSD
AG
Hey guys. As many of you know, I'm not able to drink quite as much as I used to, and buying in three packs from the wineries has my cellar fuller than it needs to be. Therefore, I'll be selling some of my Napa wines (Myriad, Piper, Pott, Detert, Realm, etc). All at cost (or very close to it). If you have an interest in seeing the list, my email is in my profile. Thanks.
greenband
AG
BSD said:

Hey guys. As many of you know, I'm not able to drink quite as much as I used to, and buying in three packs from the wineries has my cellar fuller than it needs to be. Therefore, I'll be selling some of my Napa wines (Myriad, Piper, Pott, Detert, Realm, etc). All at cost (or very close to it). If you have an interest in seeing the list, my email is in my profile. Thanks.

You're in Houston?
cecil77
AG
How far back do your Piper vintages go?
cecil77
AG
Stan Crowch said:

I picked this one up today after seeing a post on r/wine touting its QPR. I'ts not for me. Hours after having half a glass I can't shake this lingering tomato paste/bloody mary flavor in the back of my throat. My first and potentially last foray in to Mencia wines.

OK tried that 2019 last night.

Heavily Bretted. I can appreciate a little Brett, but this was beyond my capacity to enjoy. The fruit was just gone and not coming back, and the barnyard was just too much. Nibbling on something sweet helped. I stopped at a glass but my wife finished the bottle.

Here's a great article on Brett. Really interesting...

The Everything Guide to Brettanomyces
Stan Crowch
AG
Great article thanks for sharing. I guess I enjoy Brett in beer but not so much in wine. Vomit and sewage is exactly what I tasted in that bottle.
BSD
AG
cecil77 said:

How far back do your Piper vintages go?

2016-2021
cecil77
AG
Thanks, I've got 2014 on, was looking for older...
bularry
WestUAg said:

Yea I have the book. I have not read it all but I have read portions I'm interested in and use it as a reference for older wines, winemakers and vineyards.
I haven't read it either, but have heard Ms White many times on GuildSomm podcasts and she's a great advocate for Napa wine and its place in the world of wine plus her knowledge of vineyards and history of the area is pretty top notch.

Figured you big Napa collectors/drinkers would find her interesting.
bularry
Stan Crowch said:

Great article thanks for sharing. I guess I enjoy Brett in beer but not so much in wine. Vomit and sewage is exactly what I tasted in that bottle.
that's a result of the winemaking and not the variety. Find some other Mencia to taste...
htxag09
AG
Not sure if there are many ADAMVS fans here...I wasn't a frequent buyer but enjoyed their wine and the people when they came to a Houston Howell Mountain event and have kept up with them since, buying wine occasionally.

Quote:

Remembering Stephen Adams: A Legacy of Excellence and Generosity

Dear Mr. & Mrs. xxx,
With deep sorrow, Denise Adams and the team at ADAMVS wish to share with our treasured members the news of the passing of Stephen Adams, an icon in the wine industry and the esteemed proprietor of Chteau Fonplgade and Chteau L'Enclos in Bordeaux and ADAMVS in Napa Valley.

Stephen, a vintner whose passion and dedication shaped the wine world, peacefully departed on March 14, 2024, with his beloved wife Denise and family members by his side.

Stephen always found great pleasure in sharing his passion for wine with our members. He and Denise enjoyed personally hosting many of you for tastings on the property, not to mention introducing you to Buttercup and McGee and our chickens, sheep, and cows. Stephen's charming, open nature and infectious laugh will be remembered by our guests, each of whom left as a friend.

Stephen and Denise's shared passion for the wines of Bordeaux led them to the enchanting vineyards of Saint-Emilion, where they began their journey as vintners with the restoration and careful tending of Chteau Fonplgade and Chteau L'Enclos. Their success in transforming these properties into organic and biodynamic estates inspired them to bring this method of viticulture to ADAMVS, a vineyard nestled on the slopes of Napa Valley's Howell Mountain. Stephen's profound love for each region and its unique terroir can be tasted in every lovingly produced bottle.

In the wake of Stephen's passing, Denise is more determined than ever to carry on their shared work. As a truly hands-on proprietor, she has been intimately involved in all aspects of their farming and winemaking endeavors. Stephen and Denise have always made fundamental decisions for their properties together, to ensure the family legacy of each estate will last for many generations to come, and her unwavering commitment to preserving and enhancing their vision will ensure that Stephen's legacy continues to flourish.

Stephen will be deeply missed by his family and friends and all those whose lives he touched through his remarkable achievements. Stephen's influence extended beyond wine; he was an ardent supporter of the arts, education, and medicine through his philanthropic efforts, leaving a lasting impact with initiatives such as the Adams Neurosciences Center at Yale New Haven Hospital.
In this time of mourning, we feel it is appropriate to postpone the release of our 2020 ADAMVS Sauvignon Blanc to Monday, March 25th.

Messages of condolence directed to the vineyard will be passed along to the family.

With grateful hearts,

The ADAMVS Team
Stan Crowch
AG
Will do thanks
QBCade
AG
QBCade said:

If anyone is looking to unload some McDs…

This is today

FYI, auction prices have returned to sane levels. This same bottle is now going for around $600. Not sure if there was some late Christmas money or newfound wealth with AI stock or BTC. But, it got crazy for a while. Glad I didn't chase.
cecil77
AG
First sip very impressed. Napa concentration while avoiding Napa over the top fruit/sweet. Nice spice. Manageable tannins with just enough grit to be pleasing. Will be fun in an hour or so.

After 3 hours it was really singing.

My first MacDonald. We now don't recognize "special occasions to open wine". Heck the wine IS the special occasion.

QBCade
AG
Happy Saturday all. I like this one a lot. Could still go another 5-10yrs easy.

Objective Aggie
AG
Got this in some LastBottle bundle but enjoyed it

QBCade
AG
Objective Aggie said:

Got this in some LastBottle bundle but enjoyed it

I do like Hoopes! Their rose is good too
Stan Crowch
AG
Picked this one up at Costco for about $35. Anyone had it before? Will give it a go for Easter.
FTAco07
AG
I have a bottle each of 16, 18, 19, and 20, but haven't opened any yet. If you only gave $35 you did a lot better than me as my 2020 was $50 at Total Wine.
Stan Crowch
AG
Nice. I know it's probably too young to drink but I don't have the patience to age anything.
cecil77
AG
I've not tasted it that I recall, but there are quite a few high QPR fifth growths. Depending on the level of MOX they did in production, it may be just fine now with a little decant....
Stan Crowch
AG
I read somewhere that a handful of fifth growth producers like Pontet Canet ,Lynch Bages would be 3rd or 2nd growth if a reclassification was done today. Not sure how much truth there is to that.
First Page Last Page
Page 297 of 307

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.