Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,331,828 Views | 10736 Replies | Last: 12 hrs ago by jh0400
QBCade
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Happy Friday

JCA1
AG
WestUAg said:

I think the price increases, thinned out some of their longtime buyers which allowed waitlist guys to get on .

At a minimum, it's reduced the size of a lot of buyers' orders. I used to buy 6 or so bottles per release and now only buy 3 or so.
cecil77
AG
Back at ye!
QBCade
AG
cecil77 said:

Back at ye!

Woooohooooo!!!!
BigAg95
AG

Stan Crowch
AG
I picked this one up today after seeing a post on r/wine touting its QPR. I'ts not for me. Hours after having half a glass I can't shake this lingering tomato paste/bloody mary flavor in the back of my throat. My first and potentially last foray in to Mencia wines.
cecil77
AG
Just goes to show why there's wine for everyone.

Just picked a few bottles this week. Drank the 2018 night before last and really enjoyed it. Mencia is often a real QPR bottle. I liked this one.

Bierzo is an interesting region. I drank my first Mencia about 10 years ago and honestly I've thought them pretty good.
Stan Crowch
AG
Nice. I picked up the 2019. I have far more confidence in your palate than mine. I'll steel myself and give it another shot tomorrow.
cecil77
AG
My guy said the 18 was better than the 19. I'll open a 19, maybe it does suck...
QBCade
AG
Happy Sat! A new one for me

752bro4
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

BigAg95 said:

Not much info out there on these particular Petroni wines. Weird considering how long they've been around. I suspect that LB acquired all or most of their unsold inventory. The property is on the market:

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Sonoma/990-Cavedale-Rd-95476/home/2389348

Good find. Definitely sounds like some liquidation.

Enjoying the hell out of this one. Bought 2 of these during a last bottle marathon at Christmas, and will sit on the other for a while.

aggiejumper
AG
How is it and what year? My second favorite Realm they make (back when I bought from them).
QBCade
AG
aggiejumper said:

How is it and what year? My second favorite Realm they make (back when I bought from them).

Amazing. 2013. Fruit forward. Definitely has that Pritchard Hill fruit. Broad profile. Berry,, but not jammy. Could go another 5-10 easy, but ready to drink now.
BSD
AG
I do love Pritchard Hill wines, and Houyi is currently the only one I buy.
aggiejumper
AG
First vintage from Realm for that wine. Glad it was as advertised.
QBCade
AG
BSD said:

I'm a huge fan of The Bard.

I will also say, Chappellet PH is one of my favs and this is right there with it.
BSD
AG
QBCade said:

BSD said:

I will also say, Chappellet PH is one of my favs and this is right there with it.

I do buy more Realms: Fidelity, Bard, Crane, Falstaff, and Houyi. But as far as Pritchard Hill wines, the Houyi is all I buy from up there. I use to buy a few more PH wines (Continuum, Ovid), but cut back. You're right though, Chappellet is a good one. I used to have their Signature cab on hand for a "not-so-crazy" priced cab for weekdays. We drank their PH on several occasions and always enjoyed it.
QBCade
AG
BSD said:

QBCade said:

BSD said:

I do buy more Realms: Fidelity, Bard, Crane, Falstaff, and Houyi. But as far as Pritchard Hill wines, the Houyi is all I buy from up there. I use to buy a few more PH wines (Continuum, Ovid), but cut back. You're right though, Chappellet is a good one. I used to have their Signature cab on hand for a "not-so-crazy" priced cab for weekdays. We drank their PH on several occasions and always enjoyed it.

I haven't had Falstaff, how do u like? There is a lot of 2013s coming up that I am eyeing.
aggiejumper
AG
It's superb if you like Cab Franc heavy blends. Buy the 13's if you can.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Just gonna drop this in the middle of our recent Napa talk.

Had this great Falanghina from Campania tonight at dinner. Approachable and super food friendly. Nice small touch of salinity to it. Mainly posting here because I loved the back label and all of the information that was posted!

Cheers!

QBCade
AG
Little Sunday Fun

BigAg95
AG
How was it?
QBCade
AG
BigAg95 said:

How was it?

It's good. Very soft, lots of vanilla
FTAco07
AG
Steak night at the house tonight. It's a baby, but a 4 hour decant really helped and it was delicious

QBCade
AG
FTAco07 said:

Steak night at the house tonight. It's a baby, but a 4 hour decant really helped and it was delicious

Sweet! What year? I have some AXR in the cellar. Only '17 and '18, so haven't opened any yet
FTAco07
AG
We love AXR and have quite a bit in the cellar. That was actually a 19 but we have a few and hadn't tried one yet. I have a few years of their To Kalon and opened an '18 a month ago and it still needs a ton of time before it's ready. The flagship drank much better young after the decant.
QBCade
AG
FTAco07 said:

We love AXR and have quite a bit in the cellar. That was actually a 19 but we have a few and hadn't tried one yet. I have a few years of their To Kalon and opened an '18 a month ago and it still needs a ton of time before it's ready. The flagship drank much better young after the decant.

Nice!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Steak night here too, cheers!

ATL Aggie
AG
Petroni cab verticle on lastbottle (2016, 2018, 2019). Is this a buy at $42 per bottle?
bularry
I've really enjoyed some Mencia based reds.. but not a frequent wine for me to buy. Laura Lorenzo is a producer out of Ribeira Sacra that I've enjoyed in the past, but haven't seen any to purchase in recent few years.
bularry
Nice! Is that at a restaurant?

I'm going to a tasting on Wednesday night featuring a producer from Campania... some Falanghina and Aglianico. I'm looking forward to it! Wish there were some whites, but don't think the producer makes any, but I do love a Fiano.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yes this was at Diavola in Geyserville. One of our favorite restaurants.
cecil77
AG
bularry said:

I've really enjoyed some Mencia based reds.. but not a frequent wine for me to buy. Laura Lorenzo is a producer out of Ribeira Sacra that I've enjoyed in the past, but haven't seen any to purchase in recent few years.
Same here. It's just that the ones I've had were very good for the price.
crowag
AG
Going to Napa for a couple days in June with 3 others. We've been a couple times before but looking for a few recommendations. I know this sort of thing has been posted before but don't want to hunt back through the thread if I can help it. If you could visit any 2-3 wineries for a tasting/tour in both Napa or Sonoma where would you go? Dinner recommendations welcome too. We mostly enjoy reds but can appreciate whites as well.

In the past we've visited Inglenook, Rutherford Hill, Chateau Montelena, V. Sattui, Robert Mondavi, Paradigm, and a couple others.

Thank you for any advice/recommendations for wineries to hit and good dinner spots!
mpl35
AG
Dry creek in Sonoma. Amizetta. Venge. Pride mountain in Napa. That's the revisits next time I go
First Page Last Page
Page 287 of 307

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.