Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,331,787 Views | 10736 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by jh0400
Visor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Assume this is gone - but am in the market for a Scarecrow. Sent you an email.
cecil77
AG
Plan on replacing the unit everyc4-5 years. More if you're lucky.
htxag09
AG
cecil77 said:

Plan on replacing the unit everyc4-5 years. More if you're lucky.

Knock on wood, but pretty sure ours is 10+ years old. Had issues once but a $10 power pcb got it going again.
cecil77
AG
Probably is a total number of cycles and hours running.

I've got two Vinotemps. The one that needs repelacing has the leaded glass doors and nice oak cabinet and is in a room that runs warm so it runs more than not and cycles a lot. The other hasn't been replaced and I'd have to ask aggiejumper how old it is. But it looks like a bank vault and is well insulated and runs much less.
bularry
cecil77 said:

HTownAg98 said:

Stan Crowch said:

Nice. So are there any general guidelines to finding young Bordeaux wines that are drinking well.
Go right bank. Those will have a higher percentage of Merlot and should drink better young.

In general yes, but there's so much MOX now in BDX (I think someone on here mentioned they may be dialing it back?) there are lots of really drinkable bottles at five years, some even at three.
agree, and with some warmer days now the Cabs get softer. Merlot isn't really softer or faster maturing by nature, at least not in BDX.
cecil77
AG
I think Merlot 181 ripens very early.
ATL Aggie
AG
BSD said:

Update: I just ordered a new one. Ouch. There goes my wine budget for the month. Of course, I did purchase some Detert first!

I promised myself I wasn't going to buy off any lists this year, but after just receiving my Detert allocation this week I am about to break my promise.
BSD
AG
JCA1 said:

My condolences on the busted wine fridge. Had to replace the condenser in one of mine once (luckily it was still under warranty). Repair guy told me that he spends about half of his life working on wine fridges. Apparently, none of them are built to last; some just have more bells and whistles. Pretty sure we're all on borrowed time with those things. . .

I got this one used about 7 years ago for a good price (and gave my larger one away during a move). I'm guessing that unit lasted 10 years. Not too bad. Hopefully this next one will have a matching longevity.
BSD
AG
ATL Aggie said:

BSD said:

Update: I just ordered a new one. Ouch. There goes my wine budget for the month. Of course, I did purchase some Detert first!

I promised myself I wasn't going to buy off any lists this year, but after just receiving my Detert allocation this week I am about to break my promise.

Nice! I almost ordered mags but the shipping didn't make sense. It was an extra $50 to ship a magnum.
bularry
BSD said:

ATL Aggie said:

BSD said:

Nice! I almost ordered mags but the shipping didn't make sense. It was an extra $50 to ship a magnum.
I've derailed 2 mailing lists orders just due to the shipping costs... crazy prices I've seen
bularry
interesting, and that would make some sense
Objective Aggie
AG

greenband
AG
Objective Aggie said:

Love the Turnbull Black Label. I've always thought it was a great value for a more expensive Cab (> $100/bottle).
SPF250
AG
greenband said:

Objective Aggie said:

Love the Turnbull Black Label. I've always thought it was a great value for a more expensive Cab (> $100/bottle).
I will never not be a Turnbull club member.
QBCade
AG
greenband said:

Objective Aggie said:

I agree and also enjoy the Oakville Reserve, Fortuna, and Leopoldina
WestUAg
AG
Had a nice tasting of some older Dunn and some new ones from the winery. They poured 13-19 from 750s and a mag of 98. I shared the wines in the pic from my cellar.
HTownAg98
Goddam, I would have loved to have sampled all those.
Orozco05
WestUAg said:

Had a nice tasting of some older Dunn and some new ones from the winery. They poured 13-19 from 750s and a mag of 98. I shared the wines in the pic from my cellar.

Very cool
QBCade
AG
WestUAg said:

How was the '98? Also, is the Trailer V a '13? How was it?
WestUAg
AG
98 was in a great spot. 93 showed slightly better. The trailer was surprisingly light and elegant…it's a wine you would want to drink everyday.
Objective Aggie
AG
My Brazilian girlfriend is actually 1/4 Sicilian so tonight was chicken parmigiana like God intended. As I have admitted in this thread, I'm a wine imbecile but at a wine festival I found this Australian cab and I really like it.
Matsui
AG
Anyone else a fan of Hope Family Wines?

https://hopefamilywines.com/
cecil77
AG
Have only had the Cab. It was a little sweet for me.
jh0400
AG
My boss loves Austin Hope. I agree with Cecil that it is too sweet for me and likely highly altered given the flavor profile, production volume, and consistency.
greenband
AG
jh0400 said:

My boss loves Austin Hope. I agree with Cecil that it is too sweet for me and likely highly altered given the flavor profile, production volume, and consistency.

Austin Hope is about 8 grams/Liter of residual sugar. Fairly typical for Wagner family mass produced wine. Austin Hope isn't part of Wagner family but Austin Hope studied under Chuck Wagner.

When I go to a restaurant Wagner family style wines dominate many per glass wine lists because the average person enjoys the consistency and smoothness from the extra sugar. They both have had amazing commercial success.

Your average high end cab is about 3 grams/Liter residual sugar for comparison.
cecil77
AG
Agree.

And to add to that, 5 g/L (0.5%) sugar is the detection threshold for most humans, although higher acid can push detection even a little higher.
Objective Aggie
AG
greenband said:

jh0400 said:

Austin Hope is about 8 grams/Liter of residual sugar. Fairly typical for Wagner family mass produced wine. Austin Hope isn't part of Wagner family but Austin Hope studied under Chuck Wagner.

When I go to a restaurant Wagner family style wines dominate many per glass wine lists because the average person enjoys the consistency and smoothness from the extra sugar. They both have had amazing commercial success.

Your average high end cab is about 3 grams/Liter residual sugar for comparison.

The first time I had Austin Hope I thought it was Wagner. I guess it is Wagner-esque in actuality,
Matsui
AG
Thanks for the feedback. They have quite a few wines in their portfolio. And yes, I do enjoy their wine, but the flavor profiles you all described I tend to graviatate towards
QBCade
AG
Happy Thursday

AggieDad24
I have 2 passes to the Italian wine tasting at Total Wine tomorrow (5pm to 7pm) because my friends who were coming to visit had their flight cancelled. Not sure if I can transfer them but if you want to go I can meet you there and get you in.
QBCade
AG
Happy Friday

BigAg95
AG
Nice! How was it?

We popped and poured a bottle of the 2021 Cult we picked up from LastBottle. I was planning to decant it while we started with another bottle, but it was pretty fruity and seemed ready to go. It did not wow me though, so perhaps I should have been more patient.
BSD
AG
QBCade said:

Happy Thursday

I didn't keep inventory back then but I really do think I bought this wine at the winery on my first trip to Napa with my wife.
AggieDad24
AggieDad24 said:

I have 2 passes to the Italian wine tasting at Total Wine tomorrow (5pm to 7pm) because my friends who were coming to visit had their flight cancelled. Not sure if I can transfer them but if you want to go I can meet you there and get you in.

College Station Total Wine
QBCade
AG
BigAg95 said:

Nice! How was it?

We popped and poured a bottle of the 2021 Cult we picked up from LastBottle. I was planning to decant it while we started with another bottle, but it was pretty fruity and seemed ready to go. It did not wow me though, so perhaps I should have been more patient.

V good, but Rudd was better. Rudd was so rounded, layered, refined. Turnbull was very smooth, interesting after of menthol/eucalyptus.

Cult is v fruity, Fayard is the main winemaker/wine consultant. His style is pretty evident. If you like that, try some Purleiu or Le Pich.
First Page Last Page
Page 296 of 307

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.