Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,329,115 Views | 10733 Replies | Last: 15 hrs ago by Objective Aggie
ATL Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stan Crowch said:

I read somewhere that a handful of fifth growth producers like Pontet Canet ,Lynch Bages would be 3rd or 2nd growth if a reclassification was done today. Not sure how much truth there is to that.
The classification is nearly 170 years old. I imagine there would be a lot of shuffeling if they reclassified today.
HTownAg98
Stan Crowch said:

I read somewhere that a handful of fifth growth producers like Pontet Canet ,Lynch Bages would be 3rd or 2nd growth if a reclassification was done today. Not sure how much truth there is to that.

Funny, I was at a tasting last night where this was discussed in great detail. If you look at current LIV-EX numbers, they would certainly be 3rd growth, if not 2nd.
cecil77
AG
And of course it was just a price listing in 1855. Line 'em up by price, that's their classification. And it's the chateau that's classified, not the vineyard like in Burgundy.

It's just one more weird, fun thing about wine.

If a >$100 wine can be considered a bargain, I think that Lynch-Bages is.
Stan Crowch
AG
Fine I'll go buy some
cecil77
AG
Stan Crowch said:

Fine I'll go buy some
Glad to help.

I can hear it now -- "but honey, a guy on Texags told me to..."
FTAco07
AG
cecil77 said:

Stan Crowch said:

Fine I'll go buy some
Glad to help.

That's how my visit to Inwood went. We had a group of 8 and I told everyone I knew someone there so we should go. After asking how I knew you they were very skeptical when I said "well I don't actually know him, but he's from the internet".
EclipseAg
AG
FTAco07 said:

cecil77 said:

Stan Crowch said:

Fine I'll go buy some
Glad to help.

That's how my visit to Inwood went. We had a group of 8 and I told everyone I knew someone there so we should go. After asking how I knew you they were very skeptical when I said "well I don't actually know him, but he's from the internet".
I use the all-encompassing "everyone says." To which my wife inevitably responds, "You mean TexAgs?"

And I always answer, "They know things."
FTAco07
AG
I like that
BSD
AG
We have tons of Hoopes at our house. We got them from a few different places at about half off list price ($45-50/btl). We open them when my wife wants a good wine but nothing too expensive (and when I don't want anything to drink). Aaron Pott started making it in 2019 (I think) so the '18s may be the last vintage we see at these places that sell them at discounts.
BSD
AG
WestUAg said:

I signed up, always enjoy what he brings to the discussion for Napa history and new happennings

Finally got to read a few articles on Roy's newsletter. Great info. I love the article on Cook since I was there with him on that night he talks about the pasta dish (and the mushroom picture on the kitchen pass). But what I love more is the way he dives into all things wine, from weather to finances to whatever. It's all there.
BSD
AG
Stan Crowch said:

Reclassifying the producers in today's setting would be a fun exercise. I wonder if all the first growths would remain the same (huge fan of Margaux here) or if any would be dropped or added. I'm sure the other levels would see quite a bit of movement. I just wish I had more of them to taste to make an educated list.
Stan Crowch
AG
I never discuss alcohol or cigar purchases with my wife. It's better for everyone that way.
jh0400
AG
Stan Crowch said:

I never discuss alcohol or cigar purchases with my wife. It's better for everyone that way.

My wife has no idea how much wine or watches cost, and I hope she never finds out.
FTAco07
AG
jh0400 said:

Stan Crowch said:

My wife has no idea how much wine or watches cost, and I hope she never finds out.

I can do one better. My wife knows how much my wine and watches cost, but she has been conditioned to view those as alternative stores of value rather than expenses. If she drinks a nice bottle it's an expense, but if I buy one it's an investment.
FriendlyAg
FTAco07 said:

jh0400 said:

Stan Crowch said:

I can do one better. My wife knows how much my wine and watches cost, but she has been conditioned to view those as alternative stores of value rather than expenses. If she drinks a nice bottle it's an expense, but if I buy one it's an investment.

Brilliant!!
cecil77
AG
Yeah, my wife has a really particular (and particularly spoiled) palate. Only wants the good stuff, but won't drink highly extracted, fruit bomb, jet fuel cabs. Much prefers BDX.
greenband
AG
cecil77 said:

Yeah, my wife has a really particular (and particularly spoiled) palate. Only wants the good stuff, but won't drink highly extracted, fruit bomb, jet fuel cabs. Much prefers BDX.

Great taste!
Objective Aggie
AG
LastBottle is having their Marathon FYI

I hav eto say, they have really helped me experiment and I have found some great values. Some just ok, but some are really nice.
QBCade
AG
New acquisition. Quite enjoyed.

QBCade
AG
Happy Sat Night everyone and Happy Easter

BSD
AG
Hoopes is having a sale. 50% off three or more bottles using "hoppyeaster" as the code. Shipping a case to Houston was $100, though, so I passed.

Also, to keep in line with the title of the thread, I bought Kinsman Eades and Lynch Bages ('95 and '96) this week.
Objective Aggie
AG
BSD said:

Hoopes is having a sale. 50% off three or more bottles using "hoppyeaster" as the code. Shipping a case to Houston was $100, though, so I passed.

Also, to keep in line with the title of the thread, I bought Kinsman Eades and Lynch Bages ('95 and '96) this week.

Having just had a Hoopes I quite like enjoyed I just bought six bottles here. Thanks for sharing.
Objective Aggie
AG
Flowers Chardonnay and Pape (not Pappy unfortunately).

About to have the Brazilian traditional Easter dish.

QBCade
AG
Happy Easter all. He is Risen!!

Objective Aggie
AG

Wrapping up with Nickel & Nickel
cecil77
AG
2017 Spottswoode here. Good as always. Happy Easter!
HTownAg98
Two very good, but very different interpretations of Syrah.
htxag09
AG
I really enjoy Syrah and both those bottles.

We visited two hands on our trip to Australia a few years ago.
jh0400
AG
Anyone have any recs for a winery visit around Bandol? I'll be on a cruise this summer that stops on Toulon and wouldn't mind venturing out to try some rose.
Objective Aggie
AG
The second The Vice wine I've had and this was was even better.
QBCade
AG
Happy Wednesday

Still tasting young, somewhat tart. Very big still
cecil77
AG

Orozco05
Celebrated turning 37 last night with a little 87 from Marques Caceres. Tasted solid and held up well.
Dried cranberries, black tea, tobacco leaf…acidity was incredible.

Had dinner tonight at Brenner's in memorial with Laurent Ponsot Cuve de Pandorea Meursault Blanc 2019 (not pictured) followed by Montelena Estate Cab 08. Both wines were tasting incredible. Huge indulgence for me tonight.

QBCade
AG
Happy Thursday. Best Rudd I've had so far. Amazing

bularry
you definitely dropped some coin on wine at Brenner's, well done!! Not familiar with that Meursault, but how the '19 was. I've enjoyed a few '20's
First Page Last Page
Page 298 of 307

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.