Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,327,893 Views | 10728 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by FriendlyAg
Objective Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Damn. Was going to do the Mascot and Franklins but it sold out. I had it ready to order and got distracted. Damn.
QBCade
AG
Happy Saturday all!!

BSD
AG
Same to you, sir.

QBCade
AG
BSD said:

Same to you, sir.

Sweet! How is it?
BSD
AG
It was a fun wine! Not the best aged BDX I've ever had but I still really enjoyed it (not that I've had many 42 years old BDX). Good earthy aged components with almost a meaty nose to it. Like when I open a Flannery steak, but totally in a good way. Still decent fruit. Pretty good for a label I've never had…and being an '82 probably helped.

It's weird how scents can bring back memories. For some reason it took me back to a pizza place on Isla Mujeres…which is totally odd and I could never pinpoint what it was.

We also opened a 2014 Rivers Marie Summa Old Vines which was in a great place.
ATL Aggie
AG
I just got back from taking the family to Italy for spring break. I've never tasted a lot of Italian wines in the past but I am definately a big fan now. The challenge for me is the termonology, grape variatals, and varios regions. I still dont know what is what, I didnt have time to dive into it becasue I had the kids with me. I cetainly discovered that I am a fan of the Borolo and Chianti regions. What really surprised me was the cost, as far as I can tell Italian wines seem to be a better value than Napa or France. Maybe thats because my pallet isnt refined, but I had a lot of great bottles in the $15 - $20 euro range.

I was able to go to one winery, Castello del Trebbio, in the Chianti Rufino region of Tuscany. It is a privately owned castle dating back to the 11th century where they make both wine and olive oil (and hold pasta making classes). The owner and her family lives in the castle, but they open it up for visitors to tour the cellar. Here are a few pictures:

This is the families private collection. It is so old that it isnt drinkable, but the bottles have sentimental value as they are the last remaining bottles from when the owners parents operated of the winery.

cecil77
AG
Eclipse wine! Mom is Hilary '12. Grandparents Cecil' 77 and Diana '84
jh0400
AG
Italian wines are great QPR when you buy them in Italy. I order Brunello and Rosso di Montalcino every year, and the Rossos are around 15 euros each. It's the 10-15 euros per bottle in shipping costs that run everything up.

If you like Barolo, you should check out Barbaresco and Nebbiolo Langhe which are other Nebbiolo wines from the Piedmont region. If you like Chianti, then you should check out other Sangiovese wines from the general area like Brunello or Rosso di Montalcino.

Vin Nobile di Montepulciano is also a Sangiovese from the area around Montepulciano, but don't confuse it with Montepulciano d'Abruzzo which is made from Montepulciano grapes in the Abruzzo region. :-)
Objective Aggie
AG
Montepulciano is one of the coolest towns I've visited. I was disappointed and confused to see the naming convention that confused it with wines from another region.

Agree on Italian QPRs. Great value overall. And Italians don't megaputple up their wines. So no headaches even at cheaper wines usually.

Objective Aggie
AG
Objective Aggie said:

BSD said:

Hoopes is having a sale. 50% off three or more bottles using "hoppyeaster" as the code. Shipping a case to Houston was $100, though, so I passed.

Also, to keep in line with the title of the thread, I bought Kinsman Eades and Lynch Bages ('95 and '96) this week.

Having just had a Hoopes I quite like enjoyed I just bought six bottles here. Thanks for sharing.

Already enjoying my first bottle from the shipment.
bularry
speaking of old-ish wines, I tasted a 92 Aussie cab from Wynn last weekend. Amazingly fresh and very, very enjoyable. Hardly any bricking in the color, sucker had many years ahead of it.
ATL Aggie
AG
I have a couple bottles of Hoopes that I grabbed off of last bottle. I am not going to have the patience to age them and will probably have my first bottle soon.
BigAg95
AG
Really enjoyed this one. Had never had Carmenere from outside Chile before, and was skeptical. Very balanced, with a nice acidic punch and a long finish.
BigAg95
AG
DDP
Visor
AG
Looking to explore wines and stop buying the random bottles off the shelf at HEB. Pretty new in my wine journey (gotta start somewhere right?) - but have really enjoyed wine in the last few years.

Any advice for how to get started? Best way to explore various wineries? Open to ordering online / wine clubs etc. Feel free to DM if easier.

Thanks all!
jh0400
AG
Get on a plane and go visit them in person. Two or three days in a wine region tasting and talking wine will do more for your knowledge and enjoyment than anything else.
EclipseAg
AG
jh0400 said:

Get on a plane and go visit them in person. Two or three days in a wine region tasting and talking wine will do more for your knowledge and enjoyment than anything else.
Yes and then when you get home, start following those wineries on social media. You'll not only learn from them, but the algos will send you other posts from wine reviewers, writers, wine publications, etc.

Going to Napa recently really helped me when it's time to buy. I recognize many more winery names, even if we didn't visit them, and I know where most of them stand in terms of price/quality and popularity.

I can also visualize where they are located in relation to other places, which helps since you' have a tangible reference point and are no longer just randomly selecting something. For example, Stag's Leap District means something to me now because I've been there.

It also helps when you are buying at a restaurant. Wine lists make more sense when you recognize more of the offerings.

Finally, sign up for wine.com or a similar service and scroll through regularly. You can see price points and read more about the wineries/wines.

ETA: I'm fairly new to wine, as well, so I've been through this process over the past couple of years.
EclipseAg
AG
EclipseAg said:

ETA: I'm fairly new to wine, as well, so I've been through this process over the past couple of years.

While we're on this topic ...

I love a good tempranillo, so I wind up drinking a lot of Spanish wine. But I've yet to settle on any "go-to" Spanish winery.

Anyone here familiar with Spanish wines who could point out some of the best wineries to sample or follow?
cecil77
AG
Immodestly, try Inwood's Tempranillos. Dan Gatlin pioneered Tempranillo here in Texas 25 years ago. We have three levels (quality based upon vineyard yield). They are always very well received and compare very favorably with Rioja at each price point.
Objective Aggie
AG
Visor said:

Looking to explore wines and stop buying the random bottles off the shelf at HEB. Pretty new in my wine journey (gotta start somewhere right?) - but have really enjoyed wine in the last few years.

Any advice for how to get started? Best way to explore various wineries? Open to ordering online / wine clubs etc. Feel free to DM if easier.

Thanks all!

I asked this a few months ago.
My take:
Go to Napa. Or Paso Robles. If you can.

Buy some stuff on LastBottle. It's not super amazing but lets you experiment at generally less than retail. They by their nature will expose you to some non Kroger stuff.

Avoid super major labels IMO. Caymus and Austin Hope and all the mega names have polluted the marketplace. Yes there are some major producers that still have some great wines but experiment a bit smaller

Check this thread. Most of these guys have damn nice taste and probably will price you out but you'll get some ideas. The half price notifications at Inglewood and Hoopes are nice news.

Vivino and cellar tracker can be useful but be forewarned that Meomi gets rave reviews on Vivino and is essential the Pepsi of wine.

Take a class. Available most anywhere.

Try white. Try Pinot. Try Cab Franc. Try a Brunello. Try Bordeaux. Don't just go big Napa cabs all the time.

Also restaurants are the worst place to experiment. Massively overpriced. Generally not decanted or properly chilled even at premium places. So I wouldn't splurge here.

Cecil and QBcade and BSD and the fine folks will answer any question without making you feel inferior.
htxag09
AG
To add to the above, podcasts and books are good resources also. I enjoyed the first few years of the wine for normal people podcast. Haven't listened recently, though. She also has a book and does virtual classes but I've never done one.

Wine folly has a book that's easy to follow/skip around.

I have the wine folly and wine for normal people books.

Can easily use these types of resources and you can read a section or listen to a podcast then go to HEB, total wine, etc and look for those wines.

The books also have good info on food pairing. So you can wine plan with your meals.
jh0400
AG
Another book that has a lot of info on wines and pairings that I really like is Big Macs & Burgundy.

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Macs-Burgundy-Pairings-World/dp/1419744917
greenband
AG
As mentioned, experiment with some French Bordeaux or Italian reds. Total Wine has a decent selection of both.

You can pick a price point (25-50, 50-100, >100, etc) and order some that have higher user ratings. Rarely have I had a bad experience and have find some good value wines this way.

My taste in wine evolved as I tried more European wines as opposed to just Napa cabs and blends.
EclipseAg
AG
cecil77 said:

Immodestly, try Inwood's Tempranillos. Dan Gatlin pioneered Tempranillo here in Texas 25 years ago. We have three levels (quality based upon vineyard yield). They are always very well received and compare very favorably with Rioja at each price point.
Will do! Thanks.
QBCade
AG
Objective Aggie said:

Visor said:

Thanks all!

My take:

Buy some stuff on LastBottle. It's not super amazing but lets you experiment at generally less than retail. They by their nature will expose you to some non Kroger stuff.

Avoid super major labels IMO. Caymus and Austin Hope and all the mega names have polluted the marketplace. Yes there are some major producers that still have some great wines but experiment a bit smaller

Check this thread. Most of these guys have damn nice taste and probably will price you out but you'll get some ideas. The half price notifications at Inglewood and Hoopes are nice news.

Vivino and cellar tracker can be useful but be forewarned that Meomi gets rave reviews on Vivino and is essential the Pepsi of wine.

Try white. Try Pinot. Try Cab Franc. Try a Brunello. Try Bordeaux. Don't just go big Napa cabs all the time.

Also restaurants are the worst place to experiment. Massively overpriced. Generally not decanted or properly chilled even at premium places. So I wouldn't splurge here.

Cecil and QBcade and BSD and the fine folks will answer any question without making you feel inferior.

Good stuff here. Follow. Vivino will have some good deals time to time on good names that produce quite a bit, but aren't as well known. Napa - Pine Ridge, Peju, Prisoner, Faust, Chappellet, etc. Biggest thing is just to start tasting different producers and varieties. There are a ton of producers in CA and OR. Lots in BDX & Burgundy.
QBCade
AG
QBCade said:

Objective Aggie said:

Visor said:

Thanks all!

My take:

Good stuff here. Follow. Vivino will have some good deals time to time on good names that produce quite a bit, but aren't as well known. Napa - Pine Ridge, Peju, Prisoner, Faust, Chappellet, etc. Biggest thing is just to start tasting different producers and varieties. There are a ton of producers in CA and OR. Lots in BDX & Burgundy.

Oh, and welcome to your new hobby/alcoholism.
BSD
AG
Go ahead and buy a 500 bottle wine cabinet now. And then plan for your next one.
BSD
AG
So what do you like right now? And price range for every day bottles to special occasions?
WestUAg
AG
Krug release party last night. 2011 was delicious. 161 out of 3L was beautiful, also had a nice bottle of 156eme (base was 2000 vintage)

Chipotlemonger
AG
Some good points here, others that I might have a slightly different opinion on.

• Certain restaurants can be fun to experiment wine-wise in if they offer short pours or extensive by-the-glass options.

• I would add going to Sonoma county on that list. Personally, I would advise it over Napa, Santa Barbara, and Paso Robles*. I think it would especially be a good trip given where you are at in your wine journey and the questions you asked. I think you can create a more accessible trip here than Napa for sure.
  • Agreed on pretty much everything else!

*I am biased on Sonoma because I live here, but even outside of that bias before moving here we preferred our time visiting here over our time in Napa.

If and when you do plan a trip, there is a ton of information on this thread if you scour some of the pages or do a search for trip recommendations. But feel free to also just ask your trip questions again because some of us posters love talking about it in general anyways!
Visor
AG
Thanks everyone - really appreciate the input and excited to dive in.
HTownAg98
My own thoughts, and how I got started.

Restaurants aren't the worst places to experiment, especially if they have an extensive list and do something like "Wine Wednesday," where their bottles are half off. You're typically drinking a little higher than retail then, but a good sommelier will be able to put you on something good that should you like that fits your budget. One word of caution for wine by the glass: oftentimes if the bottle is a couple of days old, it won't be good anymore, and you'll think that "style" is something you won't like, when it's really just a bottle that is oxidized. Most restaurant BTG pricing is done so that when the first glass is purchased, the wholesale cost of the bottle is paid for, everything else is mostly profit. So if you try a red that tastes raisiny or "old," when it's a current release, tell the staff, and ask that they open a new bottle.

I learned more about wine from the wine bar that I frequent (and by frequent, I mean I'm there nearly every weekend). It's a little different place, where everything is priced at retail with no corkage. Originally, I was drinking $10 Spanish wines, and now I drink across the globe at a higher price point. A good wine bar that is run by someone that really knows wine will be able to allow you to try lots of different wines and styles, and find something for you.

The bigger retail stores like Spec's or Total Wine usually have people that know their stuff. The one caveat is sometimes you'll run into someone that doesn't know anything and is just pushing a wine that they need to move to make space for a new vintage or a different wine. If you keep getting recommendations that you aren't liking, find another store.

Avoid most wine clubs that aren't from a particular producer. Most wine clubs are buying wine at a discount that a wholesaler couldn't move. There's a reason they got it so cheap; it usually isn't that great for what you're paying. I've heard there are some that are better about getting good wines now, but I couldn't tell you what they are. Wine clubs from a specific producer are a different story. I'm in more than I can keep track of.

The most important thing is to have fun. Try different stuff; you aren't going to like everything, and that's ok. Ask questions. There's a wealth of knowledge here about wines from all over the world (my jam is Paso Robles and Northern Rhone). And most importantly, stay within your budget. It's bad to get a divorce because you drank yourself into the poor house.

If you don't mind sharing, where are you? We may be able to recommend places for you to try.
Visor
AG
I really enjoy Cab Franc and Pinot Noir - generally lean towards the lighter bodied wines.

Of course I do enjoy some Cabernet Sauvignon but quite a few that I have had seem to be a bit sweet for me (but obviously some are great).

Had a tempranillo this weekend and it was delicious / different.

Beyond that - I am pretty easy.

Would say $50 is the average and $150-200 for special occasion is where I find myself.
EclipseAg
AG
Visor said:

I really enjoy Cab Franc and Pinot Noir - generally lean towards the lighter bodied wines.

Of course I do enjoy some Cabernet Sauvignon but quite a few that I have had seem to be a bit sweet for me (but obviously some are great).

Had a tempranillo this weekend and it was delicious / different.

Beyond that - I am pretty easy.

Would say $50 is the average and $150-200 for special occasion is where I find myself.
Titus makes a great cab franc that is available at Total Wine for around $50.

Silverado Vineyards offers a good cab franc, as well. But it's a little more expensive and you probably have to order direct from the winery.
EclipseAg
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

• Certain restaurants can be fun to experiment wine-wise in if they offer short pours or extensive by-the-glass options.

Good point. For example, 60 Vines allows you to build your own tasting with four wines, and they have a diverse lineup. It's a great place to try different wines from different wineries.

All their wines are on tap, so the tastings aren't from bottles that have been open for days.
First Page Last Page
Page 299 of 307

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.