Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,331,800 Views | 10736 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by jh0400
WestUAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hard to really have any notes for me, I had it after 2 days of drinking PNV lots barrel samples so my pallet was shot. I remember it being pretty smooth and easy to drink, high on red fruits.
BSD
AG
Son of a…

I went to grab a few bottles from the home wine cabinet to take to storage and my cooling unit showed 68 degrees. Does anyone in Houston know of someone to call to fix or replace this for me?

cecil77
AG
coils are leaking. You can get some one to braze, but it won't hold long.

Order a new on from the manuf. Vinotemp unit w/ hum control is about $1500.
QBCade
AG
BSD said:

Son of a…

I went to grab a few bottles from the home wine cabinet to take to storage and my cooling unit showed 68 degrees. Does anyone in Houston know of someone to call to fix or replace this for me?

Ugh, that blows
QBCade
AG
Happy Sat all.

QBCade
AG
Nicer pic

HTownAg98
Had a 2010 Chateau Chauvin today. A really tasty St. Emilion that had aged beautifully.

Doing a tasting of 12 left bank Bordeaux tomorrow. Will be interesting to see what people drag out of their cellars for that one.
WestUAg
AG
Finishing off a few bottles left from a steak dinner I hosted this week.

QBCade
AG
WestUAg said:

Finishing off a few bottles left from a steak dinner I hosted this week.

Nice lineup!
2007fightintexasaggie
AG
2007fightintexasaggie said:

Curious to get some feedback but we were just gifted a Silver Oak 2012-2017 Alexander Valley Collector's Edition. Any worth to this? We partake more in the bourbons vs. the wines.
Anybody?
aggiejumper
AG
Nothing more than the value of the bottles. It's a mass produced wine and this is easy to source.
East Dallas Ag
AG
Want to trade for a 2023 GTS?

2007fightintexasaggie
AG
May be some interest here - mind sharing your e-mail and I can reach out?
East Dallas Ag
AG
Added to my post above
2007fightintexasaggie
AG
Saved - will e-mail you later if you want to edit/remove your info.
HTownAg98
Sunday's group tasting that I helped out on was a dozen left bank Bordeaux. The top photo is wines ranked 1-6 left to right, bottom photo is 6-12. There wasn't a dud in the bunch, and only four wines didn't have a first place vote.

Stan Crowch
AG
Nice. So are there any general guidelines to finding young Bordeaux wines that are drinking well.
jh0400
AG
HTownAg98
Stan Crowch said:

Nice. So are there any general guidelines to finding young Bordeaux wines that are drinking well.
Go right bank. Those will have a higher percentage of Merlot and should drink better young.
QBCade
AG
If anyone is looking to unload some McDs…

This is today
aggiejumper
AG
Yeah that's the ultra rare 2020, not really representative of other vintages. Not many out there. I bet there's less than 6-8 bottles combined by board members of it.
QBCade
AG
aggiejumper said:

Yeah that's the ultra rare 2020, not really representative of other vintages. Not many out there. I bet there's less than 6-8 bottles combined by board members of it.

Something weird is going on wrt auction right now. This bottle went for $500 in Dec. Now, over $1650.
aggiejumper
AG
Someone stole that for $500, there were only 1800 bottles made.
Stan Crowch
AG
Thanks
cecil77
AG
It would be interesting to put the price 1-12 next to their spot. Palmer and Las Cases at the top isn't surprising - some of the others are to me. But, as you say, it's shaving with a fine edge. If I had to take the last choice I'd happily drink it.
cecil77
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Stan Crowch said:

Go right bank. Those will have a higher percentage of Merlot and should drink better young.

In general yes, but there's so much MOX now in BDX (I think someone on here mentioned they may be dialing it back?) there are lots of really drinkable bottles at five years, some even at three.
QBCade
AG
aggiejumper said:

Someone stole that for $500, there were only 1800 bottles made.

Didn't know the production was so limited in 20. It's come up several times before, so seemed less limited than other years
BSD
AG
Maybe people are dumping more 2020s because of the fires? But that is a damn high price.
QBCade
AG
BSD said:

Maybe people are dumping more 2020s because of the fires? But that is a damn high price.

That's really why I was surprised at the price. Usually they go in the ~$700 - $900 range. 2020 seemed to be lower in the past. But, prices have been out of control since Christmas.
FTAco07
AG
Is anyone going to any of the Seven Stars One Lone Star tasting events in Dallas, Austin, or Houston this week? I'll be at the Dallas event tomorrow night and would love to say hello if anyone else is there.
JCA1
AG
QBCade said:

BSD said:

That's really why I was surprised at the price. Usually they go in the ~$700 - $900 range. 2020 seemed to be lower in the past. But, prices have been out of control since Christmas.

There wasn't enough 2020 for the existing list (I think only about 1/3 of the typical production) and it was released first-come-first-served to the list. Sold out in about 7 minutes.

I'm guessing the demand is less about the quality of the vintage and more about keeping a vertical going.
BSD
AG
BSD said:

Son of a…

Update: I just ordered a new one. Ouch. There goes my wine budget for the month. Of course, I did purchase some Detert first!
cecil77
AG
I spent $600 on a repair that lasted three months. New only from now on.
QBCade
AG
QBCade said:

Nicer pic

I will say that the Blankiet was very good, extremely smooth. But, the Futo was amazing. Both were rounded perfectly into shape. I'm going to get more of the Futo. It is now one of my favs.
JCA1
AG
BSD said:

BSD said:

Son of a…

Update: I just ordered a new one. Ouch. There goes my wine budget for the month. Of course, I did purchase some Detert first!
Just pulled the trigger on some Detert as well!

My condolences on the busted wine fridge. Had to replace the condenser in one of mine once (luckily it was still under warranty). Repair guy told me that he spends about half of his life working on wine fridges. Apparently, none of them are built to last; some just have more bells and whistles. Pretty sure we're all on borrowed time with those things. . .
First Page Last Page
Page 295 of 307

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.