Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,282,801 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by bularry
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I said you should have drank it 3 years ago. I still think it's amazing. I'd drink it now, if not sooner!
BSD
AG
Continuing on, this was the wine at Press...

BSD
AG
And then this happened...

ILikeTacos
AG
BSD said:

And then this happened...

You damn right! That's my kinda jam.
FarmerJohn
AG
So time to make another another trip post. This time headed to southern Sonoma valley and staying in Glen Ellen. Any suggestions for that area? No Napa this time and as this is a quick trip and Sonoma is so large, we'd prefer to stay a little more local. I think Siduri in Santa Rosa was suggested a few years back.
RikHaze
AG
Anyone here looking to order the new "second wine" by Pott on Tuesday?
BSD
AG
RikHaze said:

Anyone here looking to order the new "second wine" by Pott on Tuesday?

I picked up 3 last week. I'll give one to my wife and the other two to clients as something "unique."
NorthHollywoodHenry
AG
I picked-up 3 bottles.
cecil77
AG

Very interesting article. Long, but good.

The scientific explanations near the end are where I am on the subject of terroir.

Is Terroir Real?

SwissAgg
AG
I was in France last Weekend, and we were near the border with Spain near the Mediterranean.

The wine Region was Appleation Controle Minervois. The red wines from there were awesome

and not expensive at all. If you all get a chance, take a visit.
HTownAg98
cecil77 said:

Very interesting article. Long, but good.

The scientific explanations near the end are where I am on the subject of terroir.

Is Terroir Real?

I think I'm in the same boat as you. Terroir has more to do with the whole environment, including the soil, than just the soil itself. I've always thought that a wine that tastes chalky is because it's vines were grown over limestone was a bunch of baloney.
But when you look at where all the grand cru burgundy comes from, it seems they all share a similar vein of soil, slope, exposure,and elevation. That is where this terroir is created, and why these wines are what they are.
cecil77
AG
I think they left out one important variation: DNA differences, i.e. clones.

I think there's myriad subtle clonal variations that haven't been specifically identified.

Look at Burgundy. How on earth do explain one block producing $1,000 bottles and another block thirty feet down the hill producing $100 bottles. The soil, microbes, natural yeast, etc. just can't be the different.

But these blocks have been farmed for 100s of years. It's plausible that way back one grower perceives a superior block on his land and then propagates it to other blocks. And then does the same over many generations. Meanwhile the owner of an adjacent block doesn't. That could well result in a situation where the reason that one block is so superior is that it's growing slightly different grapes!

And just to be clear, soil is important to growing the plant. However it does not directly impart flavor characteristics to the grapes.
RangerRick9211
AG
Soil, climate, sunlight - none of it directly imparts flavor. But how the vine reacts to each does.

Climate is an uncontrollable variable. Soil impacts water intake - again, can't control weather but can control the soil selection, but also geographic orientation. Finally, sun exposure is almost wholly controllable.

Grand Cru regions are typically positioned at or near the top of hills. This is to control sun and water exposure. When it rains, hills experience more surface run-off, less absorption. The root systems of developed Grand Cru vines are therefore deeper, and less influenced by fluctuating water levels. There's also the hope that less water and poorer soil leads to fewer grapes. Too much nutrients and a vine will produce lots of grapes reducing the concentration of flavor in each grape.
cecil77
AG
That's the company line for Burgundy. Although the French proponents of the "hallowed ground theory" add even more to it.

Agree with much of that, but IMO it's overstated for Grand Cru vineyards. There's just not that much difference, and what there is is complex and difficult to quantify. Conclusion is that grape flavor in predominately DNA based. Of course different growing conditions can result in different levels of phenolic ripeness (which is a continuum, much debate on the subject of underripe/ripe/overly ripe when it comes to phenolics - much of it style driven). However grapes every bit as good as Grand Cru Burgundy grapes can be grown in any number of places and conditions. But yes, vineyard architecture (including soil, aspect, trellising, shoot positioning, canopy management, water management, etc) is crucial. I just believe that these can be manipulated in myriad ways to produce (essentially) the same grapes, assuming the grapes have the same DNA.

RangerRick9211
AG
I won't inject much opinion or try and qualify Grand Cru. I'm just a dude with a bestie that's an MS. He's able to blind producers and plots at what I would consider a statistically significant rate. I definitely think there's a discernible difference.

However, the difference is wholly subjective. It's different - not necessarily qualitatively better.
cecil77
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

I won't inject much opinion or try and qualify Grand Cru. I'm just a dude with a bestie that's an MS. He's able to blind producers and plots at what I would consider a statistically significant rate. I definitely think there's a discernible difference.

However, the difference is wholly subjective. It's different - not necessarily qualitatively better.

Oh, I agree there's a difference. I just think that the difference are difficult to quantify and that the DNA differences of clones are a significant source of difference.
cecil77
AG
Defying old attitudes about which latitude is suitable for fine wine

Fun article about Thai wine!
Elkos Magic Cookbook
AG
Carter Cellars order in
htxag09
AG
Anyone at the austin food and wine festival?

Overall, I've been disappointed in the wine selection. The food has been better than expected, though. Lots of great selections and decent portions. I went hungry and was full in no time.

Favorite wine has by far been liberty school. We're with my uncle who's pretty big in the food and wine scene so we got to chat with the owner and wine maker for a good while. And BTW their new tiny house they have out on tour is pretty cool. They plan on turning it into an Airbnb at their vineyard when not on tour. But we got to try their reserve cab and I was pretty impressed. The Traena red blend was great for the price point. Probably a wine we'll keep in stock for a party wine.
Sbatch
AG
Howdy everyone (and a h/t to htxag09 - thanks!!) - my wife and I have a non-profit in the Houston area and we are still looking for a few more sponsors for our annual wine dinner in early June in Houston - I posted all of the information over in the Houston forum but thought it might have it's place here as well.

Thanks for looking and please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions.

https://texags.com/forums/38/topics/2851908
cecil77
AG
Quivet Cab order in. 2ea of all four cabs.

Drank a 2013 Kenefick Ranch Sunday night. Typical Mike Smith wine. I enjoy Quivet as his "value label" wine!
Thriller
AG
Debating the exact same order. I am considering the mixed case, however, as my wife just commented we are getting too red-heavy.
cecil77
AG
I did as well, but I'm staring at 3 bottles of last years cab sauv along with some Myriad Semillon...
Thriller
AG
We are a year removed from our trip to Napa that got us started on this. Tastes have changed/evolved and we know what we like. I just cancelled 4 out of the 5 clubs we joined while there. They got us started and have given us a good backlog of juice to drink, but we'll keep one and look to order off of some of the better lists we have joined going forward (Smith, R-M, etc)

Palovic
2 LPV and 1 of each of the other reds and 5 SBs from Quiver today. Definitely a great value
clobby
AG
Anyone watch "Decanted" on Netflix? Looks like some Aggies are some of the main characters. Not a bad documentary.
Elkos Magic Cookbook
AG
Mike Smith just got another $1k from me lol.

Yea saw the Aggie rings on Decanted, but I felt it was a little heavy on the Reynolds brand. The Operations Manager at Outpost is an Aggie and was a walk on for Tony Barone.
FarmerJohn
AG
Just got back from Sonoma. Some quick notes and highlights:

1. Biggest win of the trip was staying in Glen Ellen. A couple places where you could walk to dinner and close by to a lot of options and within 30-40 minutes of almost anywhere, with the exception of the far north Anderson valley. We stayed at the Gaige House, which was a nice mix of B&B and hotel. Plus, Glen Ellen is such a small town it just didn't feel overrun on the weekend. Napa has just seemed to continue to escalate on price that it's really to the point of being more than I care to spend, no matter the experience.

2. The best new winery (to us) we visited this trip was Siduri in Santa Rosa. Honestly liked everything they did with pinot, and their style really runs the gamut. So that is an accomplishment. You aren't going to have all the ambiance, as it is in a warehouse, but it's worth the appointment. I think this was a commonly referred one on this thread, so thanks for that.

3. We made a return trip to Merry Edwards. Again, pinot centered and some really great stuff. Bu it wasn't as diverse as Siduri and their rather unique tasting experience just isn't as much fun as some other places. A good place to visit at least once or twice but it focuses on "education", which can sometimes come across as intimidating. Their hosts have so much that I think they are supposed to tell you that it turns to a one-way conversation.

4. But had a fun time at Martinelli. Their wines were more hit and miss, but the tasting was just fun and they had a bigger variety of things to try.

5. Went to Benziger because of some free wine club stuff from the in-laws. A good visit for someone new to wine but I wouldn't have been happy if I paid for any of that. Didn't buy anything.

6. Our one stop in Napa was to Round Pond, where we have a membership. Generally speaking, we like their stuff (hence the membership) and their late harvest Sauvignon Blanc was fantastic. The problem with a sweet wine is that sweet is such a powerful flavor that the others need to be as pronounced to keep up. It was a little disappointing to see their new series of 100% cab from specific parts of their property. They are entering that super high end Napa priced wine world as well. I understand that this is the price they can get but between that and using the allocation list, it's a little off-putting. This could be a bigger commentary on Napa as a whole and why we find ourselves looking to Sonoma more and more.

7. Did a little hiking at Sugarloaf state park. I like breaking up the trip with a couple hours of exercise outdoors, especially with the great options available in the area.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Very cool.
BullSprig07
BullSprig07
AG
This was about a month ago but took a trip to France with my family and spend several days in the Southern Rhone. I thought for a minute this should be it's own post but all the cork dorks seem to check this thread regularly.

Backstory, my dad was a classically trained French chef. He hasn't cooked professionally in years, but food and wine are a big part of myself and my 3 siblings lives because of our him. Also, he's never actually been to France, so we decided for Christmas to buy plane tickets for he and my mom.

After a couple of nights in Paris we took the train down to Avignon where we rented an AirBnB just outside of town. I can't suggest doing this enough, we were pinching ourselves that a bunch of hicks from Texas were staying in such a nice house in the south of France. There was 8 of us so it worked out to roughtly $50 per night.
[img][/img]

Our house was about a 15 minute drive to Chateauneuf du Pape. In my mind we would split time between here and other villages like Tavel, Gigonas and Vacqueryas but we wound up in Cdp every day.

View from the top of the hill in Cdp

The pope's old summer house

The day we arrived from Paris we had a scheduled tasting at Beaucastel. Unfortunately I had too much to drink in Paris the night before and missed our train, and missed the tasting (oops.)

There was a festival in Cdp the next day, with just about every producer there sampling every level of wine they produced. for 5 euro you could sample from over 70 wineries. This ran the gamut from high end Cdp producers like Beaucastel to guys you've never heard of.
[img][/img]
Decided we needed a food break, just outside the tasting there was street vendors cooking up duck breast and foie gras.
[img][/img]

The next morning we had a tasting scheduled at Pegau. The winemaker Laurence, gives the tour herself. This woman is a rockstar. Pegau isn't necessarilly a blue blood like Beaucastel, which has been around forever and one of the top producers for decades. Her father owned just a couple of hectares, she went to school for enology and business and after taking over continued to procure more vineyards and improve their winemaking to the point where it is today, which is one of the best wineries in Cdp. A stat that kind of surprised me from the tour was that they export 97% of their wine. USA, China and Canada being the biggest destinations. Were actually some rich Chinese that showed up while we were touring and asked for the oldest bottle available that they could buy. 100% whole cluster fermentation, all indigenous yeast.

Laurence, her father on a tractor and the pope's old house in the background.

BullSprig07
AG
This trip was incredible. All of our days in the Rhone Valley consisted of going out midday to taste and pickup a couple cases worth of wine. The town of Cdp has dozens of tasting rooms open. Better prices on the high end Cdp than you would get here (obviously) and also so many great Cote du Rhone and rose's between 4 and 8 euros. Then we would go to the markets and pickup fresh produce and meat and head back to our hillside chateau to cook dinner and drink wine while the sun went down. Between airline miles, splitting airbnb with a big group and cooking meals at the house this is a super realistic trip for anyone who wants to try a new wine region.

cecil77
AG
Jealous, jealous, jealous!!!!
HTownAg98
My wife and I are going to do a river cruise from Lyon to Avignon in about two years. My fear is I'm going to do the trip and want to go back in a month.
SwissAgg
AG
HTownAg98 said:

My wife and I are going to do a river cruise from Lyon to Avignon in about two years. My fear is I'm going to do the trip and want to go back in a month.
Why wait so Long?
First Page Last Page
Page 129 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.