Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,279,783 Views | 10509 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Chipotlemonger
reload85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pegau rules! Extremely jealous......
HTownAg98
WhoDatAg said:

HTownAg98 said:

My wife and I are going to do a river cruise from Lyon to Avignon in about two years. My fear is I'm going to do the trip and want to go back in a month.
Why wait so Long?

We're not doing that trip on the cheap.
BullSprig07
AG
Sounds amazing. I'm guessing you'll have a chance to explore the Northern Rhone on the way down. Should be a great trip. And yes you will want to go back!
bularry
Water Turkey07 said:

Sounds amazing. I'm guessing you'll have a chance to explore the Northern Rhone on the way down. Should be a great trip. And yes you will want to go back!
thanks for sharing your incredible pictures. looks amazing.

I have a friend that visits France often, even though he is not a wine person. I need to put a bug in his ear about this area and get something organized.
HTownAg98
When you say you bought cases of wine, was that for consumption while you were there, or do you have an importers license to get the wine back to the US?
BullSprig07
AG
Sorry that wasn't very clear. We bought wine during the day, and crushed it back at the house each night.
We would typically wake up to scenes like this on the kitchen counter

Some more pics

When we were ordering lunch at the festival, my dad was trying to tell the cook/chef that he didn't want his veal steak over cooked. There seemed to be a little bit of a language barrier. But he checked on us while we were eating, came up to my dad and poked his forehead and said "You Like? It's good? Americans like steak too hard!" and knocked on the table. Then poked my dad's sunburnt forehead and said "rose', pink meat is better!"
If you didn't know better you would think my dad is about to get chived by an ornery French cook, but they actually had a good time going back and forth with eachother.
HTownAg98
Wine #2 for Birthday week. Wine #1 was a 2013 Lillian Syrah.
HTownAg98
#3. This is pretty damn good, period. People that like French Rhone whites need to drink this, and not shy away because it's from Texas.
BullSprig07
AG
Where in H-Town can I grab a bottle?
HTownAg98
I'm not sure you can.
cecil77
AG
Ben doesn't make much wine. Fewer than 1,000 cases per year last I asked.

It's a cool visit though. He doesn't even have a sign, just a banner draped on his pickup windshield parked on 290. Nice little "cave" winery/cellar. From his facebook posts he's been in France for awhile. Unsure when he's back or open. You have to call for reservations.

Calais Winery

Calais is one of the few wineries on 290 I send people to. William Chris is one of the others. Good Ag Chris Brundret was by Inwood yesterday with wife and kids in tow for Mother's Day. He and Dan spent awhile together barrel tasting Dan's newest Bordeaux blends. I tasted them at the end of the day as well. Not being released until 2019, but they will absolutely stun people with their quality. And being from vines just west of Fredericksburg!
cecil77
AG
550 year old barrel of wine!
awesome sauce
AG
For the Fredericksburg folks . . .

I'm debating whether to make a weekend trip next weekend. Will the Memorial Day crowds be unbearable?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Had a 2012 Paul Hobbs Pinot noir last night. Very good.
HTownAg98
awesome sauce said:

For the Fredericksburg folks . . .

I'm debating whether to make a weekend trip next weekend. Will the Memorial Day crowds be unbearable?

They will be bad on saturday, not so much on Sunday though. I'd make apppinrments for the better places on Sunday, and just roll with the crowds on Saturday.
notheranymore
Headed to Willamette Valley in August. Looking for winery recommendations near McMinnville/Newburg/Dundee areas. TIA

Handle@gmail.com
cecil77
AG
And later in the day Saturday is better this time of year, but Sunday is always preferable. Come see me at Inwood Estates!
awesome sauce
AG
Thanks HTown & Cecil. Good info.

Cecil - are you pouring next weekend? If I come through I'll look you up.
cecil77
AG
Yes! Hope to see you!
jrweinberger
I totally agree--this is the best Texas version of a Rhone white that I've ever had. I was very impressed with everything they had to offer.
cecil77
AG
Chris Brundret '06 of William Chris Winery is the featured Winemaker of the Month in the new June 2017 issue of "Wine Business Monthly".
FarmerJohn
AG
Have not been to Oregon myself, so I can't comment on winery experience but only on the wines. My in-laws belong to the Trisaetum wine club. I have had a lot of their Riesling and it is fantastic. It's a good pairing with Thai and other asian foods, which can be tricky to work out. Their pinot isn't bad either, but I wouldn't call it the star. Little back end on the taste spectrum.

Also had some De Pont. Again, great pinot. Consistently better than Trisaetum in my opinion.

[EDIT] - Called De Pont "Dundee Hills". that was the appellation, obviously not the winemaker.
Sbatch
AG
Howdy guys - We're hosting a Wine Dinner fundraiser in Houston on June 4th to support pediatric cancer research. I started a thread over in the Houston forum - but wanted to cross-post here as well:

https://texags.com/forums/38/topics/2856905

Thank you guys for your consideration - hopefully we can see you on June 4th!

HyelifeOG
Go to Brickhouse, Rocco (Aggie owned), Sotor, Erath (Aggie winemaker), Sokol blosser, North Valley, Winderlea all really cool spots. Make sure to make an appt. if you like farm house brew Wolves and People brewery was pretty epic.
WhiskyEnthusiast
Dog Point from NZ Malborough. Fell in love with them when I was there on holiday. The Sauvignon Blanc 2013 - Dog Point in particular! It's our favourite. But all the Dog Point Wines are highly recommendable & also affordable 30-60 bucks (usually).
WhiskyEnthusiast
I'm thinking of buying a new decanter for our reds. Do you have any recommendations?
I found a few reviews just now here: http://carafes-and-decanters.com/products/wine-decanters/

And the Wine Enthusiast Duck Decanter seems to be a great fit and isn't too expensive. Any thoughts, maybe..?

Thanks
HTownAg98
You can decant wine into a quart mason jar and get the same effect, so buy whatever you want.
BullSprig07
AG
Our cleaning lady dropped and broke our decanter last week so I'm in the market as well
Comanche
AG
Pyrex Erlenmeyer flask is what I use mostly.
HTownAg98
If you are decanting old wines that will have a bunch of sediment, a nice decanter that will be gentle on the wine is a good thing. If it is a young wine that you just want to get some air into, just pour it into sometihing that is glass and pour it in the vessel as fast as possible.
cheeky
AG
Anyone tasted with VHR in Napa? How is the experience (details)? Also, I need to host a group of 6 for a "fun" casual dinner in city of Napa on a Monday night next month. Suggestions? I was considering Bounty Hunter.
cheeky
AG
Also, looking for recommendations for a driver who will drive us in OUR vehicle.
htxag09
AG
Had a couple friends over for dinner last night. Had some bruschetta, homemade pasta, sous vide pork chops, and tiramisu and gelato for dessert.

TP Ag '87
AG
Boy, they must be GOOD friends.
cecil77
AG
Finally opened the '07 Maybach Materium last night at dinner with Dan & Rosemary Gatlin.

Sadly, it was past it's peak. Good fruit, but tannins were completely gone, to the point the fruit (almost) gave a whisper of sweetness. It was good wine and we certainly drank it all, but I think would have been better two years ago when I should have opened it. Dan opened a 2008 Ridge Estate Cabernet (not Monte Bello) and it was much better to me.
First Page Last Page
Page 130 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.