Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,283,369 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by bularry
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I kind of get it...but silly is not the word I would use in this case. Much to my wallet's dismay, I think staying in line with comparable bottles is perfectly acceptable, especially since this was such a small batch and a lot of personal attention went in to it (as most small batch producers do). Will had mentioned that Sinegal, Nickel & Nickel, Pride, Revana, Blackbird pick there, and his grapes are in a better spot in the vineyard.

and while i know this comparison is not apples to apples (or grape to grape!), but would it be silly if a new ToKalon bottling sold at $100? What about a good block at Crane? I personally think MacDonald could double their price and sell out and they still sell at the original release price of $150 (God, I hope they dont see this!).

On the flip side, I think some new guys coming out with a new bottle of Pritchard Hill at $500 when an equally good bottle can be bought for $200 is silly. Same for any other wine where, all else being equal, the quality is the same.

But let's look at the other variable here...the winemaker/process/knowledge. It's tough to buy an unknown, especially at $100+. And while I know Will is a friend and I'd "defend" him regardless, I don't think I have to here. He has a good pedigree...similar of that to Mike Smith. Both learned from Thomas Brown, and he ain't too shabby. Mike's first Crane's were $90...and that is almost a decade ago. Granted his Napa cab was $50 but that wasn't a single vineyard source.

Anyways, these are just my thoughts. I'll gladly open a bottle with you when they arrive and we can see if you agree!

and like Cecil said...that's just Napa!
BSD
AG
Quote:

We've had a better payoff with Ridge futures than most folks have had on Aggie football ticket renewals. So there's that.
so true. So very, very true. My Ridge MB cabs arrive this week. And then off to bed they go.
Thriller
AG
I don't have a problem with either the price or the minimum by themselves. The two combined do give me some pause.

There are a lot of factors in favor of placing an order, but I think I'm going to hold off on this one for "happy wife" reasons. Now if this had come out before the R-M one off sale a few weeks ago, different story.
BSD
AG
Thriller said:

I don't have a problem with either the price or the minimum by themselves. The two combined do give me some pause.

I was put off by several wineries on this. But if it's one I want, I always email to ask if I can just grab one or two. They are usually pretty receptive.
Thriller
AG
That's a good point. I might give that a shot.

I know we've discussed it before, but one has to assume they know their market fairly well. That the market will support a brand new offering at $110 x 3 is pretty interesting to me.
aggiejumper
AG
Good idea, I'll email Will and ask for a bottle to try. I like Moulds vineyard and it sounds close to his site.
cecil77
AG
No, Ridge is iconic. Participated in the Judgement of Paris.

However new releases starting at $115 is off putting a bit. But it's all in the name.
bularry
Married an Aggie Lady said:

cecil77 said:

bularry said:

I understand BSD's support, but I personally find an initial release of a new wine over $100 to be kinda silly.
I agree, but that's the Napa paradigm now.
I'm guessing y'all must think us buying futures 2 years out at Ridge at those prices+ plus being committed to some of the Estate Wines (also sight unseen at ~$51 each above the Monte Bello cost) is the epitome of silly. (Probably some truth there BTW.) At least the Monte Bello futures are ~40% below release price. For us Ridge is so well established that it works for us. And there is also that "happy wife, happy life", thing.

So I understand BSD being loyal to places you're a fan of. We've had a better payoff with Ridge futures than most folks have had on Aggie football ticket renewals. So there's that.
No, the price itself is not "silly" (probably a bad term to use as BSD points out). and I wouldn't compare to Ridge.

I buy and drink some Napa wines, so I'm not throwing stones. and if I had more resources, I'd likely buy more than I do. But when you get over $100, you enter some pretty good territory for other really good wines with pedigree (like Ridge).

BSD makes great points that Napa and the fruit source are really driving the prices, not really the winemaker and his conceit.

and I'll gladly drink it!! Cheers

cecil77
AG
And the low yields in 14 and 15 exert upward price pressure as well.
cecil77
AG
I think the thing we all need to admit, is that buying and collecting and acquiring these types of wines if far removed from the mere pleasure of consuming them. There is pleasure in the acquisition, in the collecting, in the possessing of them.

Not only that, but the very knowledge that they are expensive adds the the pleasure of their consumption. That could be for lots of reasons, maybe we hold those special bottles for really special occasions. Maybe by holding them for so long they become "cherished" so that the enjoyment of their consumption is enhanced.

You've all read those studies that show that brain pleasure centers fire more when the wine drinker KNOWS that it's an expensive/special bottle.

That's the reason that I can understand the price for a Ridge Monte Bello more than a new release.
cecil77
AG
Exclusive: Gallo Buys Stagecoach Vineyard and its 600 Acres of Napa Valley Hillside Vines
BSD
AG
cecil77 said:

Exclusive: Gallo Buys Stagecoach Vineyard and its 600 Acres of Napa Valley Hillside Vines
TP Ag '87
AG
Geez. Sickening. But, capitalism,...
jh0400
AG
cecil77 said:

So does this mean you guys are going to start dumping your wine like the neckbeards do with beer?
cecil77
AG
It's also the way of the wine world now. Many iconic brands are just parts of huge conglomerations. I think I posted it before, but even the iconic "Duckhorn Merlot" is now "vinted by" (i.e. not fermented by Duckhorn) now. It's just a marketable label for the corporation to move product.
TP Ag '87
AG
I get it. When Meiomi, a SINGLE wine, sells for $315mm,.... Well, that's where we are.
aggiejumper
AG
I would bet stagecoach sold for $500-$750MM. Dr. Krupp did quite well, he took the risk a while ago and reaped the reward.
cecil77
AG
TP Ag '87 said:

I get it. When Meiomi, a SINGLE wine, sells for $315mm,.... Well, that's where we are.

I'd never heard of it. Guess I'm just not that into $22 sweet Pinot...

nobody ever went broke underestimating the American taste for sweet wines.
cheeky
AG
aggiejumper said:

I would bet stagecoach sold for $500-$750MM. Dr. Krupp did quite well, she took the risk a while ago and reaped the reward.
If they rename.....
TP Ag '87
AG
I'm not a fan. But I doubt most folks on this thread are their target ("Sweet spot" ) market.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Meiomi is my everyday drinking wine. 15 dollars and Sam's Club
TP Ag '87
AG
Sorry. I stand corrected.

(guess I did waffle by saying "most")
ILikeTacos
AG
I always keep a bottle or two of Meiomi around for guests but have never particularly cared for it myself. Like the article states it is a good intro wine to an "actual wine", rather than a wine lovingly named "Red Wine".
SECeded
cecil77
AG
Interesting follow up to the Gallo purchase of Stagecoach
HTownAg98
Just what we need: more expensive Napa wines.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Bought 4 bottles of the 2014 Maybach Amoenus. Opened up one tonight and cellaring the other three.
htxag09
AG
Think it's been discussed, but anyone order the william and Mary cab and willing to part with a bottle? Want to try it but can't justify buying 3.
AlexSAWineguy
AG
Attended a wine lunch with the folks from Reynolds' Family and Italics. Tasted the 2012 "Sixteen" which incorporates a ton of fruit from sixteen Napa Valley appellations (latest to be included is Coombsville). Tasty wine that is affordable and has a very cool story (The wine started out as Thirteen). The 2012 Italics Estate Cabernet stood out and was super inky, which I was told by the winemaker is a Coombsville trait. The general manager of Italics is Taylor Martin 07'.
BSD
AG
I went to a Reynolds dinner at Bouchon a few years ago. It was mostly family members and loyal buyers...and two drunks who just happened to see the event on a Bouchon email and signed up. I'm sure it was good but unfortunately I got sick that day. I still powered thru the meal but I had to excuse myself 3 times to go vomit. I mainly took sips of wine and moved my food around on my plate as to not cause a scene. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done!
BSD
AG
Just got back from Napa. If I could drink a lot, I would brought a straw and gone to town on this.

Our buddy brought a 2007 Maybach to dinner at Bouchon on Sunday night. Oh man that is still one of my favorites!
BSD
AG
Some 60 yr old vines at MacDonald followed by a little tasting.

aggiejumper
AG
Does TRB make that at Outpost or Mending Wall?
BSD
AG
Maybach and RM are at Mending Wall. Schrader is at outpost. We also had the 2014 Schrader To Kalon which is quite nice. Much different than aged Maybach!
cecil77
AG
Still have my 2007 Materium. Any sign of peaking?
First Page Last Page
Page 128 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.