Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,834,409 Views | 38371 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by Aggie Therapist
the dude10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
That NASA 8yr was probably the best 8yr Smooth Ambler in the country. Special stuff. #biasednotbiased

I picked up three bottles of it when I was traveling through last year and wish I had grabbed more. Been searching for a similar product ever since. At ~$55 that is probably the best value I have ever come across. I got 2 of the cask strength rye at the same time which were amazing as well. I only have one bottle of each left and really don't want to open them for fear I won't find it again.
Post removed:
by user
the dude10
AG
You said the other day you were in San Diego right? I am there right now. Find any bars or liquor stores with some good stuff? Staying downtown
FriedTex
AG
Rolled the dice on a bottle of Ezra B single barrel.

Ugh give me my 30 bucks back...
Post removed:
by user
FlyFish95
quote:

Win some, lose some. I bought a bottle of Michters Small Batch a while back, took one sip, and poured the rest down the drain in disgust. Truly awful stuff.
Mathguy64
AG
quote:

I have that same nasty bottle on the bottom shelf. Where all the other nasty stuff sits. Win some lose some.
the dude10
AG
Last Friday until this Friday. Went to Mardis gras Saturday night and had an awesome time! Found one bar that I kept going in to pee, but every time I had to buy a drink. Guy was giving me larceny at $3 and pour tho vs the $8 it was supposed to be
FriedTex
AG
quote:
quote:

I have that same nasty bottle on the bottom shelf. Where all the other nasty stuff sits. Win some lose some.

My wife drinks all my bad bourbons ... She can't tell the difference and I blame her for drinking all my bourbon, that's why I have to buy more

Win/win
Post removed:
by user
Mathguy64
AG
One of these days I will have a spare barrel and just dump a half bottle of this and a half of that into it and see what I get. It seems to work for the non distilling folks who buy random barrels, slap labels on it sell it. Worst case is I turn bottles of crap into a barrel of crap.
FlyFish95
quote:
One of these days I will have a spare barrel and just dump a half bottle of this and a half of that into it and see what I get. It seems to work for the non distilling folks who buy random barrels, slap labels on it sell it. Worst case is I turn bottles of crap into a barrel of crap.

Sounds like a plan.
HouseDivided06
AG
Damn was the Michters small batch that bad? Had that as one I wanted to give a shot. Blast.
John Francis Donaghy
quote:
Damn was the Michters small batch that bad? Had that as one I wanted to give a shot. Blast.

I ordered a glass at a restaurant once. I enjoyed it well enough with my steak, but I dont have any desire to ever buy a bottle of it.

Drain-pouring seems excessive though. It's not turpentine. If you don't like it neat, keep it for cocktails. Or as cough syrup for when you're too sick to taste anything anyway.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Glad someone else agrees with me.

Some real nose turning to drain pour a perfectly fine mixing liquor. Doubt it was too bad for a stiff whiskey Coke.
John Francis Donaghy
quote:
Thanks. Sent pm.

is this a pretty reliable calendar?

http://www.breakingbourbon.com/release-list.html]

Probably about as reliable let as anything else. The inescapable wild card is the government getting its grubby mitts on the stuff. Nothing goes out to store shelves in TX until TABC gets down working it's antiquated magic to protect us the evils of bourbon with their government approved stickers.

Never know how long that'll hold things up, especially for new release products.
FlyFish95
quote:

Yes, I thought it was terrible. I didn't even want to turn it into a mixer. Maybe I got a bad batch.
Mathguy64
AG

quote:
Drain-pouring seems excessive though. It's not turpentine. If you don't like it neat, keep it for cocktails. Or as cough syrup for when you're too sick to taste anything anyway
The problem with awful bourbon is that it makes an awful mixer in a Sazerac, Manhattan or Old Fashioned. I personally don't mix with Coke so I cant mask it with sweet/sugar/carbonation. I figure the price of the bottle is a sunk cost. Mostly those bottles just end up way back on the shelf never to see the light of day. I did pour one out.

My brother gave me a bottle of something that claimed to be bourbon from a very small batch distiller in Colorado Springs. I'm pretty sure it was neutral grain spirits that sat in a stainless steel vat with a bag of wood chips for 2 weeks getting "flavor" and "color". That was vile nasty stuff that would make the worst Texas whiskey taste like PVW. It went down the drain. I just hope it didn't corrode my pipes.
Chipotlemonger
AG
You personally don't mix with Coke to mess up other bourbons and whiskeys, but why don't you mix with something carbonated on this less than average drink?
Mathguy64
AG
Because many many moons ago when I was a young impressionable college student who just turned 19, I got to buy my first legal handle, then I got fall over, passed out, throw up and lay in it for 10 hours kind of drunk on Jack and Coke and the sheer thought of that makes me want to hurl. Violently.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Fair enough.

I had a similar bad memory avoidance with vodka cranberry.
schmellba99
AG
quote:

Was this the 12 year old?

I bought a bottle - had blue wax on it. Is absolutely delicious.
FriedTex
AG
quote:
quote:

Was this the 12 year old?

I bought a bottle - had blue wax on it. Is absolutely delicious.
Yep, same one - glad you liked it, I can't stand mine
Fall92
AG
Cotton Hollow? Talk to me, Goose.
iehly06
AG
I bought a bottle of their Tennessee whiskey. Its ok. Its pretty spicy and could probably have been aged a little longer to mellow it out, but the flavor profile is pretty good. Much better whiskey for the price though.
Wheatables02
AG
So I have caught up to around page 110 of this thread. Someone mentions finding bourbon online. I was looking and found www.sterlingcellars.com that has a couple bottles I am looking for. I guess I could have them shipped to my in-laws on Oklahoma and pick them up?
07ag
AG
Masterofmalt currently has Four Roses Small Batch - Barrel Strength 2014 back in stock
Wheatables02
AG
A guy on Dallas Craiglist listed 8 bottles of Weller 12 for $125. I messaged him and said I'll take all of them for that price. He messaged back and said you can't find it anymore and he would go to $100 each.

He's freaking nuts. You can still find it if you look hard enough. I hope this isn't one of you.
John Francis Donaghy
quote:
A guy on Dallas Craiglist listed 8 bottles of Weller 12 for $125. I messaged him and said I'll take all of them for that price. He messaged back and said you can't find it anymore and he would go to $100 each.

He's freaking nuts. You can still find it if you look hard enough. I hope this isn't one of you.

8 bottles of Weller 12 for $125? That's a phenomenal deal.

**** move jacking the price up too $100 each on you though.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
quote:
quote:

8 bottles of Weller 12 for $125? That's a phenomenal deal.

**** move jacking the price up too $100 each on you though.
LOL

That would be hilarious if that was what had actually happened.

But, alas. Read it again young man.
Wheatables02
AG
Decent score today for a first time searcher -

Elijah Craig 12 now EC small batch
Bulleit 10
Old Ambler Scout 10
Weller Antique

I swear Weller 12 is harder to find then Pappy 15, 20. At least with those someone will sell them to you at a ridiculous price.

Anyone want to sell me some Weller 12?
Stan Crowch
AG
A while back I traded a bottle of Weller 12 with someone on here for a couple of bottles of Pliny. I would do that again.
austinag1997
AG
McKenna 10 yr BIB is a really great value pour.
FlyFish95
People unsuccessfully looking for Pappy have now given up and moved on to Weller 12. I fully expect to see people paying $150+ for Weller 12 over the next few years or so. That stuff was all over the place just two short years ago. I can't remember the last time I've seen a bottle sitting around anywhere.

People are actually out searching for Weller 12, cleaning the shelves, and paying a premium for it. Unbelievable.
Wheatables02
AG
Have it. I think it's terrible.
First Page Last Page
Page 150 of 1097

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.