Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,864,131 Views | 38666 Replies | Last: 46 min ago by trouble
SouthTexasAg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:

I don't want to gouge any Aggies, but I need to get as much for this as possible.

This part does not compute but I'll bite. Username at gmail, let me know what you want for it.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I'll start the bidding at $300.
plowboy1065
S
$306.99
SouthTexasAg06
AG
$312.12
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I'm just interested in purchasing the cool, collectible bottle. Not the juice in it.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
$350.01
tfunk02
AG
Here's a good secondary market for you...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BourbonSecondaryMarket/
tx4guns
AG
Barclay, send me an email to info@1911-grips.com.
Chuck Hythloday
AG
Sheriff - I'm in DFW and willing to pay a nice premium. Text me at two one four - six hundred - 0154

And if you have any other premium stuff, I'd be interested in it as well.
Ringo88
AG
Anyone tried the new Orphan Barrell offering "Gifted Horse" yet?

I've been offered bottles by some of my connections but was waiting to get at least 1-2 opinions on it before dropping $50+ on it.
FriedTex
AG
Reviews say it's trash, have not had it myself
Daytona22
AG
I've heard the same that it's trash. I'll probably end up getting it though to continue building on my orphan barrel collection. A 17 year mixed with a 4 year on "accident"
RenoAg
Anyone want an Elijah Craig 18 yr single barrel in htown? They have one bottle for $151 on display at Goody Goody on hwy 6 and 529 in htown. Next to Sprouts.
Wheatables02
AG
So I'm new to Bourbon searching and collecting and just started reading this thread tonight. Read the first 20 pages and last 15 pages. My budget allows me to buy a bottle here and there but nothing close to $100/bottle.

If I happened to come across a treasure like pvw or orvw at store price I would buy it though.

I am really enjoying trying to find Bourbon that is hard to come by.

If I am reading previous posts correctly, I should keep my eyes open for the following at various liquor stores :

Elmer T Lee
Weller 12
Stagg Jr
William LaRue Weller
Elijah Craig 12
Michters
Angels Envy

Some questions -

anyone have any luck with weller 12, stagg jr, or any of the above between Arlington and lewisville someplace?

In 2011, you guys mentioned pvw or orvw was findable and reasonable. I'm guessing that's not the case anymore?

Arlington total wine had two bottles of blade and bow left for $42 each yesterday. It's got some of the last stitzel-weller mixed in and it's great!

Specs on cooper street on Arlington had weller SR and eagle rare real cheap $17/25 and limit . I couldn't locate either one at total wine in Arlington or lewisville.

Thanks for the help and I look forward to reading this thread and learning and helping others out.
Post removed:
by user
Wheatables02
AG
Thanks! The side of the blade and bow bottle states it contains some of the last SW produced. Jon at total wine lewisville couldn't believe they even had one when I bought it.

It does carry the SW name on it as well.
BeardofZeus01
AG
A couple of different reviews of Blade and Bow discus Diaego's process of blending the last of the SW juice they had. They call it fractional blending or solera aging ... where they continue to mix newer bourbons with the SW juice and blend it into a product that can release on a wider scale. Its a good pour at $40 for a fifth, especially if you're nostalgic and want some actual original SW product.
BeardofZeus01
AG
usually Four Roses Single Barrel and Makers Mark Cask Strength are relatively easy to find and are good bottles for under $50. May also try those if you haven't already.
Post removed:
by user
Wheatables02
AG
So I've got my eyes set on locating some weller 107 or 7 year in the next 6 weeks.

Anything else I should look for?
Post removed:
by user
FlyFish95
Smooth Ambler Old Scout should be on that list as well.
Post removed:
by user
John Francis Donaghy
quote:
Thanks! The side of the blade and bow bottle states it contains some of the last SW produced. Jon at total wine lewisville couldn't believe they even had one when I bought it.

It does carry the SW name on it as well.

Found eagle rare for $25 in Arlington specs limit 1and it's great. Im reading weller 7 will likely be back around in march?
Weller 7 Year is no more. The Weller 7 Year was re-branded as Weller Special Reserve a few years ago, and the 7 year age statement was removed. You can find Weller Special Reserve pretty much anywhere for $20 or less, and at that price it's a pretty decent bottle.

A few other pieces of unsolicited advice:

1. Don't believe what your salesman tells you to be excited about. They have marching orders on what to sell up to their customers. I've had salespeople at the Total Wine in Lewisville try to convince me that Noah's Mill, Rowans Creek, and Willet Pot still were super rare bottles that they were lucky to have in stock. Reality is you can find any of those at any decent store, any time you want, at regular old retail price. They're also all made by the same company, which tells me that Total Wine was trying to move that particular company's product on that particular day.

Lewisiville Total Wine did get me once on a "single grain" Irish whiskey though. Salesman talked it up like it was an absolute gem of an Irish whiskey, on par with many much more expensive port-finished scotches. Turned out the single grain was corn, and the whiskey just tasted like young, watery bourbon. Lesson being: don't forget that your salespeople are...well...salespeople. Especially at big-box liquor stores.

2. You have to realize that you're getting interested in bourbon at kind of a tough time for bourbon drinkers. Many top-end bourbons are insanely difficult to find, and priced to match. Many mid-level products are disappearing from store shelves as distilleries hold more barrels back to make more top-end product a few years from now. Many of the good mid-range products are having their age statements pulled, as distillers use younger and younger whiskies to make their products, in order to increase volume of sellable bourbon. Like Weller 7 Year becoming Weller Special Reserve and Elijah Craig 12 Year becoming Elijah Craig Small Batch just in the last couple months. So reading reviews from 4 or 5 years ago may not be representative of current products.

Lastly, and most importantly:

3. Enjoy the hunt, but try not to get too caught up the the hype over super rare, bourbons. The beauty of Bourbon is that it's relatively cheap and easy to mass produce, and there are lots of fantastic bourbons on your store shelf every day for under $50 a bottle. Elijah Craig, Bookers, Makers Cask Strength, Noah's Mill, Larceny, Woodford, Knob Creek, Four Roses Small Batch and Single Barrel, Etc. Etc. Are all great bourbons, at affordable prices, and will bring you plenty of enjoyment. Don't convince yourself that the Pappy's and Staggs of the world are the be-all end-all of bourbon. Because when push comes to shove, they really aren't that much better than many of their readily available counterparts that cost a tenth as much.

Happy sipping.
Ringo88
AG
Very well said, Mr. Donaghy. Very well said.

Happy Sipping to all on this grand day of sports. Hope everyone can take the time to put their feet up and relax with a fine pour.
FlyFish95
quote:
very true. that is the smoothest higher proof bourbon ive had. at least the pick they have at nasa liquor was. i believe it was in the range of 110 proof.

I've got a couple of those NASA bottles at home. Unique stuff
tx4guns
AG
That NASA 8yr was probably the best 8yr Smooth Ambler in the country. Special stuff. #biasednotbiased
Post removed:
by user
BeardofZeus01
AG
Wheatables, I assume by your previous post that you're in DFW. If you want an open bottle (750ml) of Weller Antique 107 thats had only one pour out of it, you welcome to have it for what you think is a fair price or trade. I found it undrinkable for my palate ... just not my preferred taste. I also have a 1/5 of Garrison Brothers and Woodford Double Oaked that I can't drink either. Both with only one pour out of them. PM me if interested.
Post removed:
by user
Wheatables02
AG
Thanks. Sent pm.

is this a pretty reliable calendar?

http://www.breakingbourbon.com/release-list.html]
First Page Last Page
Page 149 of 1105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.