Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,833,399 Views | 38366 Replies | Last: 32 min ago by rca21978
West Texan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
picked up Evan Williams Single Barrell and Sazerac Rye tonight. Not usually a big fan of rye, but this is good stuff.
RenoAg
Just scored a EHT barrel proof at goody goody for $65. Will have to try this one too. Never tasted it before. Only bottle there at west oaks location. Had to go into the fine wine room to get it. There are some nonspecial bottles in there behind that locked door. Had to chuckle a bit.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
They had Michters 10 SB in there a few days ago.
BeardofZeus01
AG
Anyone had a chance to sample Smooth Ambler Contradiction? Looks like bourbon blend from a wheater and a rye. Saw a bottle for sale at a local shop and was curious if anyone had personal experience ... thanks.
John Francis Donaghy
quote:
Anyone had a chance to sample Smooth Ambler Contradiction? Looks like bourbon blend from a wheater and a rye. Saw a bottle for sale at a local shop and was curious if anyone had personal experience ... thanks.

Is it the smooth ambler line, or the smooth ambler old scout line?
K Bo
AG
My neighbor gave me this bottle of Amador as a gift this morning. Anyone had it?

BeardofZeus01
AG
I would assume Smooth, since def no indication of it being in the Old Scout line.
BeardofZeus01
AG
Morning whiskey gift ... very nice. Never tried it, looks a little gimmicky, but may also he very tasty. Only one way to tell ...
tx4guns
AG
Drinking some Contradiction tonight. It's pretty good. Not overly complex, but solid.
BeardofZeus01
AG
whats it worth in your opinion ... $40-45-ish? I think it was on the shelf at $42.99 ... thoughts?
John Francis Donaghy
quote:
I would assume Smooth, since def no indication of it being in the Old Scout line.

Cool, they must have more of their own product coming of age and ready to bottle. Let me know how you like it, certainly sounds interesting enough to try.
tx4guns
AG
That's what they sell for.
FriedTex
AG
I'm curious about this too. Expensive bottle, curious why
tx4guns
AG
Haha, that's not expensive.
FriedTex
AG
I saw one for 100, that's pricey in my book for something I've never heard of
FriedTex
AG
quote:
I saw one for 100, that's pricey in my book for something I've never heard of

It might have been the ten barrel version I saw
FlyFish95
quote:
Haha, that's not expensive.

Nope!
CrottyKid
AG
Tried to search this thread, but didn't work very well.

I tried an inexpensive bourbon today that was very good. It is called Johnny Drum Private Reserve (beige label). It is 101 proof, 15 year aged, and made by Willett. It was very smooth and tasty. I live in Lexington, Kentucky. This bourbon is easy to find here, and I would assume it is easy to find in Texas, too since it is inexpensive and/or not in crazy demand.

EDIT: Got the search function to work. Looks like Ringo88 mentioned it briefly here: http://texags.com/forums/67/topics/1930546/replies/44326730
Ringo88
AG
Crotty, glad you enjoy it. I 100% agree that both the black label 90 proof ( Jack Daniels lookalike bottle) and the beige Private Reserve are great budget drinks. I've found it at about half of the stores I frequent in the Atlanta area, but not all.
RenoAg
PSA while I'm thinking bout it. Do not waste your money on Garrison Brothers Cowboy bourbon. I bought a bottle of it several months ago. I've tried it multiple times since then trying to justify the money I spent. It just plain does not taste good. It has such a funky taste I'm not sure I'd even mix it with coke. The ER10 is a much better pour at about 1/8th the price.

Update on the Rock Hill Farms. Store owner said he'd order me a case. Told him I'd take 4 bottles. We'll see if his distributor laughs at him. But he didn't seem worried about it.
Beerbelly2002
AG
I tried the EC18 at Pappa's Bros steakhouse this weekend and loved it. EC12 is my go to bourbon at the house, so I splurged on the $45 pour since we were celebrating.

I saw the bottle behind the bar while waiting for our table. They also had ER17, GTS and THH. I didn't have enough time to order from the bar and waited to order from the table. I asked our waitress the price of the pour since they didn't have any of their special editions listed on the drink menu. She had to go back and forth to the bar twice, each time telling me that they didn't have it. I ended up describing the bottle and location on the shelf to her, then watched from across the restaurant to make sure they poured the right juice. I get the waitress not knowing, but it's annoying when a bartender doesn't know what top shelfs they have but will still charge you a crazy mark up at a place like that.
Chipotlemonger
AG
So lame.
Daytona22
AG
Thoughts on Angel's Envy Cask Strength? I picked up the bottle a few weeks ago but haven't opened it yet. Haven't decided if I am going to keep it or not.
Post removed:
by user
the dude10
AG
I tried the 2013 AECS and thought it was very good. Bought the 2014 last year and have barely touched the stuff. I am just not a huge fan of the port finished stuff I guess. First few sips are good to me and then it just gets worse and worse. I think the sweetness is what turns me off.
cena05
AG
Scored 1.75L Weller 12yr in Corpus over the weekend for $39. Had a couple more available.
BeardofZeus01
AG
Any experience on the board with Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Select ... 133.2 proof? I know we don't discuss Jack much, but I've always been a fan of the charcoal filtered Tennessee whiskeys ... my daily drinker is George ****el 12 yr. I picked up a 1/5 of the Jack at Goody Goody tonight for $56.99 (pretty steep IMO) and am about to give it a go. Hopefully at that price it will compete with some other tasty, higher end limited bottlings of the past few years.
RenoAg
Anyone tried the IW Harper 15 yr? Had a store owner try to get me to bite on it tonight at $70. 86 proof so I am skeptical.
tx4guns
AG
That barrel proof JD is solid. Extremely hot, but damn tasty.
Post removed:
by user
BeardofZeus01
AG
My thoughts exactly. Def had that front end heat characteristic of a high proof, barrel strength whiskey, but finished quite smooth and with good flavor balance. It was tasty enough that I opted for a second pour, neat this time. Think I prefer this whiskey on the rocks. I'd recommend it if you like Jack and can get your hands on it.
WhiskeyBusiness
AG
quote:
Scored 1.75L Weller 12yr in Corpus over the weekend for $39. Had a couple more available.

Which store?
cena05
AG
Liquid Town in Calallen on 624

13517 Northwest Blvd, Corpus Christi, TX 78410
AggieChemist
AG
quote:
I tried the EC18 at Pappa's Bros steakhouse this weekend and loved it. EC12 is my go to bourbon at the house, so I splurged on the $45 pour since we were celebrating.

I saw the bottle behind the bar while waiting for our table. They also had ER17, GTS and THH. I didn't have enough time to order from the bar and waited to order from the table. I asked our waitress the price of the pour since they didn't have any of their special editions listed on the drink menu. She had to go back and forth to the bar twice, each time telling me that they didn't have it. I ended up describing the bottle and location on the shelf to her, then watched from across the restaurant to make sure they poured the right juice. I get the waitress not knowing, but it's annoying when a bartender doesn't know what top shelfs they have but will still charge you a crazy mark up at a place like that.
Then you have the wine bar in LA that had a bottle of 1970 Dow's Vintage Port. I jokingly asked how much for a glass, knowing they would only sell the whole bottle. She said, "hang on and I'll look it up". She came back and said "$8". I ordered a glass. She brought it, not in a port glass, but a huge wine glass. I had three more.

I pretty much killed that whole $200+ bottle of wine for $32. I left her a good tip, because she probably got fired.
Post removed:
by user
First Page Last Page
Page 148 of 1097

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.