Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,847,927 Views | 38482 Replies | Last: 6 min ago by Icecream_Ag
AlaskanAg99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Once I started drinking good bourbon, I stopped drinking anything 80 proof. Makers is absolute garbage, won't even mix it with coke. 90 proof at a minimum.

Actually, I don't drink any bourbon with coke. Only Sailor and that's 92 proof.
FriedTex
AG
since we are acting like old men -

NO ICE EITHER!! (I actually even run hot water in my glass to keep it warmer)
RenoAg
Anyone else concerned that with today's prices and internet sales there are going to be some counterfeit Pappy and BTAC bottles floating around out there? Just refilled and resealed empty bottles with different juice.
tx4guns
AG
There already are counterfeit bottles out there. Saw a guy post a Pappy 15 with a green foil seal last year. Buyer beware.
tx4guns
AG
Also, bars are keeping their bottles and refilling with cheaper, similar whiskey. Oldest trick in the book.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Yep I've seen Jon Taffer rip some new *******s for doing that on Bar Rescue.
iehly06
AG
If anyone is hunting blantons, the new goody goody on woodway may have some left. You have to ask for it though.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I wonder if that's why empty bottles are going for so much on ebay.
Post removed:
by user
FriedTex
AG
quote:
My buddy gave me a bottle of the Jefferson's aged at sea. Anyone had it? I probably would have never got it myself.
i think its dumb, its just a little saltier
FriedTex
AG
quote:
I wonder if that's why empty bottles are going for so much on ebay.
I got an email from bourbonr, encouraging folks to break their bottles of the high end stuff when they are emptied to help fix this problem. good idea
John Francis Donaghy
quote:

Why do you prefer the glass to be so warm?
RenoAg
Most here will probably scoff but I really like the Jeffersons Ocean. I also really like their Special Reserve. Is the Ocean worth the premium? Maybe not. But still good stuff to my palate.

I saw the Ocean behind a counter a few nights ago. Shop owner wanted $125 for it. It is a bit hard to find. But that's ridiculous. I have an opened bottle I paid $76 for and that's about as much as I could justify for it. And I actually like the stuff. But value is in the eye of the beholder I guess.
Post removed:
by user
aggiemike89
AG
What voyage number of the JO are you guys drinking? I think the first batch was supposed to be the best. I have voyage 3 store pick but haven't opened it up yet. There is a new JO out that is a barrel proofer that has peaked my interest.

On the empty bottle issue, I won't break mine because I think they are cool looking but might drill a hole in the bottom. That would resolve the refilling issue.
FriedTex
AG
quote:
quote:

Why do you prefer the glass to be so warm?
IMO, bourbon is at its best when the glass is warmed by your hand. (hot water just speeds up the process)

Again, IMO, i feel like you get more of an abundance of flavor when it is warmer. I feel like you can get different tasting notes and the finish stays with you longer. With ice or cool glass, it seems like the bourbon is "restricted" and you dont get the full flavor feeling of it.
schmellba99
AG
I don't get nearly as wrapped up in proof as some do, but i'm not nearly as high up the snob/connosuer ladder either.

Sometimes, a good easy drinker is exactly the right drink over something that is hot as hell.

Everybody is a little different - I mostly drink bourbon neat after I've let it sit for a few minutes in my glass, but a good rye over a few rocks or an ice ball is also a joy to drink as well.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
It's on the shelf at every specs I've been too in the last three months. I'm not going to complain about a gift, will crack it open when I get back from being out to sea.

It is one of those brands and bottlings that became the en vogue thing to bag on, amd that mantra just kind of stuck. But I have never come across anybody that said it was a bad pour, and cant seem to remember anybody saying anything other than good things about it, but that they wouldnt pay more than moat places are asking for it.
Signel
AG
I'm not interested in what Jefferson Ocean is doing because it is just strange. If it was $40 i'd give it a shot.

It'd be like putting your bourbon barrel in a paint mixer and selling that as something unique. I just want good bourbon at the right price.

I'm like Schmellba. Sometimes I'll do ice or water. Why limit myself to one style?
RenoAg
My JO is voyage 3.

Anyone have an opinion on Rock Hill Farms? I saw 2 bottles of it last night on a shelf. I don't know much about it but don't think I've seen it before.
John Francis Donaghy
quote:
My JO is voyage 3.

Anyone have an opinion on Rock Hill Farms? I saw 2 bottles of it last night on a shelf. I don't know much about it but don't think I've seen it before.

Where did you see them, and what we're the prices?

I'll withhold my personal assessment of quality until I know whether or not I have a chance to go buy them.
Mathguy64
AG
I haven't seen a bottle of Rock Hill Farms in over a year. Most of the top shelf area nowadays seems to be filled with crap made in TX.
FriedTex
AG
quote:
My JO is voyage 3.

Buy it. Should be around 50 but worth it still at 65, IMO

It's one that if I see, I always buy (same with ETL)
RenoAg
The Rock Hill Farms were somewhere between $45-$60 a bottle. I forget. I wasn't paying that close of attention. That difference in price wouldn't matter to me for something that's good.
bigevent99
AG
What's a good price for angels rye?
Post removed:
by user
RenoAg
Just bought the 2 rhf for $49 each. Gonna try it out this weekend. Will report back.
Post removed:
by user
RenoAg
Third Coast - That's a fair offer but I already have a couple bottles of Stagg Jr. And I must say that I already poured a drink of this Rock Hill Farms tonight and it is absolutely fantastic. I love the aroma and at 100 proof it isn't overpowering while still maintaining a little kick. I'm not an expert when it comes to isolating flavors but I can distinguish complex pours from those that aren't. And this stuff has a lot going on. I think I am going to hold on to the 2nd bottle.

The store owner offered to order me some more. I declined and told them I wanted to try it first. I'll go back and ask them to order me some. If they can get any for me I'll either trade you for a bottle or you can buy it for what it cost me. Hopefully they don't raise the price. Sounds like they aren't being unreasonable with it.
HouseDivided06
AG
Where are you located? If you get more and are in DFW, I'll gladly buy a bottle from you for what you pay for it.
RenoAg
Oh and I live in the NW burbs of htown. I work in the SW burbs. So if you are around htown I'm sure we can figure something out.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Ducks4brkfast
AG
For those of you jonesen for RHF the Goody Goody in Little Elm has a couple cases of Blantons. Gotta ask for it.
John Francis Donaghy
49 is a great price. That's right at standard retail price for RHF. And I'm glad you like it, one of my absolute favorites, but haven't seen any here in Dallas in ages.
First Page Last Page
Page 147 of 1100

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.