Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,678,207 Views | 62653 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by SoTxAg
Bmac04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Today's been a good delivery day
jah003
S
Bmac04 said:

dave99ag
AG
It's not Assassin, but my wife definitely does a good job a bringing back tasty beer when she travels for work.

Chipotlemonger
AG
Love that rawr label
dave99ag
AG
She totally picked it up because our son loves dinosaurs.
La Fours
AG
Nice. And yeah, the Rawr label is awesome
Chipotlemonger
AG
Got a can of this "milkshake" IPA from Great Notion today. Pretty dang good. The vanilla and fruit flavor ain't something I'd always want, but this is a great beer. What is everyone's viewpoint on milkshake style IPAs?

maca1028
Bmac04 said:

Ay que la chingada!!
Jock 07
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Got a can of this "milkshake" IPA from Great Notion today. Pretty dang good. The vanilla and fruit flavor ain't something I'd always want, but this is a great beer. What is everyone's viewpoint on milkshake style IPAs?

lne2011
AG
I think Milkshake IPAs enhance the best qualities of a NEIPA. The lactose adds to a creamier mouth feel and allows you to add more fruit flavor. I love them!
big-ag
AG
I think most of them dull the hoppiness and dial up the sweetness of the beer too much. Not what I look for in an IPA.
jah003
S
This reads like an Onion article...
Quincey P. Morris
AG
It really does. It's hard to believe that actually happened.
Jock 07
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
HTownAg98 said:

My wife booked a trip for us to Salem, Oregon this summer. It's primarily a wine trip, but if there are some breweries around Salem that are a can't miss, we may visit some. Chances are we won't be spending much time in Portland. Any recommendations?

Yeah, definitely stop at Wolves and People in Newberg.

Which wineries are you planning on hitting?

Also, if you have time, head out to Silver Falls State Park. Super close to Salem.
Johnsy3
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

I like them. B52 in Conroe has a couple that are great
turfman80
AG
I can take a milkshake IPA , and more and more even an NE IPA, as a one off for a change of pace, but they quickly become one note and cloying to me. Give me a well crafted west coast IPA for regular enjoyment.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
Chipotlemonger
AG
I agree on milkshake IPAs. May try one as a change of pace, but they're more novelty for me. I purchased this Great Notion can by itself and got a sixer of a good regular IPA at the same time.
dave99ag
AG
Headed to downtown Denver for a few days. Already have Falling Rock and Freshcraft on the menu. Wife's company is taking us out to dinner one night. Suggestions for something nice?
jetch17
AG
Saw Falling Rock got their Younger kegs yesterday
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
HTownAg98 said:

My wife booked a trip for us to Salem, Oregon this summer. It's primarily a wine trip, but if there are some breweries around Salem that are a can't miss, we may visit some. Chances are we won't be spending much time in Portland. Any recommendations?

You might be able to stop at Alesong. It's a pretty good ways away from Salem, but it's in wine country. You could do Alesong and King Estate since they're right next to each other. Then stop in Eugene on your way back to Salem.
dave99ag
AG
jetch17 said:

Saw Falling Rock got their Younger kegs yesterday
Releases next Tuesday and we leave on Friday. I am saddened.
dave99ag
AG
Dammit! They tap on Saturday. One effing day and I'm walking distance from Falling Rock.
La Fours
AG
dave99ag said:

Dammit! They tap on Saturday. One effing day and I'm walking distance from Falling Rock.

It would be a shame if you were to miss your flight and had to fly back a day or two later.
Chipotlemonger
AG
One of my local beer bars had some PtY on Monday, but it was gone in an hour.

Went by RRBC Windsor yesterday (Tuesday) around 11:40 AM just to have a look, and the line was massive. They later posted that avg wait times were 2-3 hours in Santa Rosa and 4 hours in Windsor... and this was on a Tuesday! Weekend wait times you can imagine were much, much worse. Been busy at work and got enough going on that I don't really want to spend my free time in a line for that long. They also don't allow bottle sharing in line, you just gotta stand there.

RRBC knows exactly what they're doing with this annual event, because there is a true cult following for it. Honestly though, since I live right here, I'd rather go to my local beer bar a mile down the road and get some of the great stuff they pull in, or go grab a triple IPA from a number of NorCal breweries that are getting released right now to get my fix. (Side note, there are a ton of great breweries that are either local or regional)

Any time of year, I can have Pliny or Blind Pig (my preference) whenever I want. Am I crazy for not seeing the point of waiting in a line for that long? There's just too much great beer one can readily have that to me defeats the purpose.

If I was retired or worked weekends and had random weekdays off, I wouldn't mind waiting a couple hours I guess. I am also wondering if the fact that it's bottled and you can take some to go has brought in more people every day. I think it has.

/end rant
steve00
AG
They are going for over $100 per bottle online, so I definitely think the lines are full of people just getting them to resell.

I haven't gone since they opened Windsor, but even before that you could get in with a 10-20 minute wait on weekend afternoons. It was probably better than that last year with the two locations.
HTownAg98
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

HTownAg98 said:

Yeah, definitely stop at Wolves and People in Newberg.

Which wineries are you planning on hitting?

Also, if you have time, head out to Silver Falls State Park. Super close to Salem.

Haven't decided on the wineries yet. I've got a good friend that is from the area, and we're going to have him and his girlfriend over for dinner one night and take a lot of notes.
62strat
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Went by RRBC Windsor yesterday (Tuesday) around 11:40 AM just to have a look, and the line was massive. They later posted that avg wait times were 2-3 hours in Santa Rosa and 4 hours in Windsor... and this was on a Tuesday!

Any time of year, I can have Pliny or Blind Pig (my preference) whenever I want. Am I crazy for not seeing the point of waiting in a line for that long? There's just too much great beer one can readily have that to me defeats the purpose.

Those lines are for younger, not elder. You don't have access to younger everyday. Are there better triple ipas out there? Probably. Do any of them have what younger has? No.

No reason to dog on someone who wants to do what they need to do to try that beer once, or more.

62strat
AG
What does a regional size brewery do to stay relevant?

Get into wine apparently.

https://www.facebook.com/theobcwineproject

dave99ag
AG
62strat said:

What does a regional size big beer brewery do to stay relevant?
62strat
AG
No doubt. They weren't even elusive with this one (like they were with shock top).

Plain as day.. 'bud light' right there on the label.

Too bad white claw already had a year or two to completely dominate that space.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I know that the Pliny is different. My point is, Pliny the Elder is a world class beer. If you can get that and other great beers any time of year without the hassle, what makes the PtY worth it? Oh, flipping it for some cold cash. I guess saying you got to try it is pretty neat.

I don't mind waiting in lines. It's just the juice isn't worth the squeeze if I'm gonna have to go wait for over 3 hours on a Tuesday for a beer.
dave99ag
AG
At least with something like Franklin's you can chill and enjoy a beer while you wait. Sucks you can't even share while in the line.
62strat
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

I know that the Pliny is different. My point is, Pliny the Elder is a world class beer. If you can get that and other great beers any time of year without the hassle, what makes the PtY worth it? Oh, flipping it for some cold cash. I guess saying you got to try it is pretty neat.

I don't mind waiting in lines. It's just the juice isn't worth the squeeze if I'm gonna have to go wait for over 3 hours on a Tuesday for a beer.
Many of those brewery visitors are traveling in from all over. It's not just 3 hours of waiting, it's 3 hours of being in a cool place/town, a cool brewery, among friends or family and probably on vacation with no other cares in the world at that moment. Russian River is simply one of those anomalies. People like to travel there just to visit the brewery, let alone during a 15 year tradition of a major cult beer release.

I had it in Denver (and waited 0 minutes for it), but I still have a PtY trip in Windsor on my bucket list, along with a few other beer related experiences. I've only been to SR location, and it wasn't Younger week.

Flipping PtY was never possible before now. These lines didn't appear because it's bottled now.
PFG
AG
Bc the weather is awesome:

First Page Last Page
Page 1483 of 1791

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.