Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,653,462 Views | 62634 Replies | Last: 12 hrs ago by Objective Aggie
jah003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Thanks for the recs.

I don't mind driving to Rowley one day, so that's certainly on the agenda.

I already made reservations at Geronimo, but will put the other restaurants on my list.
dave99ag
AG
CDub06
AG
I've only spent a handful of nights at home so far this year. So a quick rundown of just the new breweries I've visited.

Corpus - Knocked out the new hometown spot, Nueces Brewing. It's fine, there's potential there.
Lorelei is still the best in the Coastal Bend (with Lazy Beach behind them).

Charleston (roughly in order of preference):
  • Westbrook lived up to the expectations - IPAs, sours, stouts were all great. Their barrel program is tremendous.
  • Edmund's Oast is such a cool place. Huge variety of beers with no losers.
  • Charles Towne Fermentory had some really killer NEIPAs.
  • The Hold is Revelry's barrel aged program. They had some really cool barrel aged ales. Nothing absolutely blew my mind, but I liked the creativity and they were all solid.
  • Two Blokes had some good hazys and it's a cool place. Worth combining with Westbrook.
  • Revelry had a decent selection of middle of the road beers. Their rooftop bar was a great spot at sunset.
  • Baker & Brewer didn't blow me away. Part of that might be the poor service, but I was underwhelmed.

Durango (also in rough order):
  • Carver Brewing Co - They had all the typical styles and they all beat expectations.
  • Steamworks Brewing Co - Cool place with some unique beers. I loved the creativity and the fact that they were well executed.
  • Ska Brewing - Your typical brewery, but with slightly above average beers and much better distribution. BUT WHY WEREN'T THEY PLAYING SKA MUSIC?????
  • Animas Brewing Company - Just a generic brewery with generic beers.

Aztec, NM - Hit 550 Brewing for the first time because I'm usually only in Aztec during the day. It was garbage.
For the record: Three Rivers in Farmington is probably the best in that area. Though it would be an afterthought elsewhere. Lauterbrew is such a cool place. They're heavy on the German stuff and didn't have any IPAs or sours on tap this week. Their IPAs aren't that good anyway. It's still fun.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Agreed on the Revelry/Hold creativity. Reminded me of this Flanders style red that I got to try from them:

(old friend from growing up is a brewer there)
La Fours
AG
That's an awesome beer name.
ChipFTAC01
AG
La Fours said:

That's an awesome beer name.

Indeed. Hopefully they worked in a Porkins refer me in the label.
La Fours
AG
BSD made a trip up to CS this morning and brought some goodies for me. Peche n Brett is one of my all time favorites. Can't wait to crack that open. Thanks man.

Kyle98
AG
Four Peaks in Tempe on Thursday:

Today at the Phoenix Open. Didn't get into 16, the line was 100 yards long at 9am.
Bmac04
AG
Coconut Assassin bottles released today
La Fours
AG
I'm more interested in your shenanigans in the northeast.
dave99ag
AG
Bmac04 said:

Coconut Assassin bottles released today

Does that go into distribution? My wife is in Minneapolis next week and she sees TG beer frequently. She picked up one called Stout Hawks last week.
Bmac04
AG
Only 168 bottles released at the brewery yesterday
La Fours
AG
maca1028
Coconut Coffee Achromatic courtesy of BSD for the game tonight.
Jock 07
AG
Drank the beer to fast but this was my superbowl beverage this evening.
Jock 07
AG
Kyle98 said:

Four Peaks in Tempe on Thursday:

Today at the Phoenix Open. Didn't get into 16, the line was 100 yards long at 9am.

That's on my sports bucket list. How hard is it to get into 16 on Thurs or Fri?
La Fours
AG
My understanding is that you have to get to the gates really early and sprint to the stands to get a seat.
Kyle98
AG
They open the gates at 7am (I think). I saw a video from yesterday morning, and there was a huge crowd that just started sprinting when they opened the gates. Thurs and Fri are less attended than Sat, but with the limited number of GA seats on 16, I assume you still have to get there early. We just walked the rest of the course. Saw Webb Simpson's ace from right behind 12 teebox, so that was cool.
Kyle98
AG
Here's what it looked like when the gates opened yesterday morning.
Jock 07
AG
holy ****, best not trip and fall.
SoTxAg
AG
Will be in downtown Denver for a wedding in August, i plan on hitting Falling Rock and the reception is at Tivoli Turnhall. Any other "must see" beer spots in that area?
Kyle98
AG
Yeah, no kidding.

The party atmosphere on Saturday was incredible. And the "scenery" was nothing short of spectacular. Worth going to once, for sure. If I ever go back, it won't be on Saturday, that's for sure.
classof08
AG
SoTxAg said:

Will be in downtown Denver for a wedding in August, i plan on hitting Falling Rock and the reception is at Tivoli Turnhall. Any other "must see" beer spots in that area?

Epic has a tap room there. Big Bad Baptista is almost worth the flight alone.
62strat
AG
SoTxAg said:

Bruz just opened a colfax location. Best traditional Belgians around.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Pliny the Younger releases tomorrow. Think I may wait til after this first weekend to go check it out. Hope to make it out with some bottles.

Related to that, it's also SF beer week, and a ton of breweries around NorCal are doing things too.

One in particular is pretty neat. Every year, Henhouse releases a double IPA they call Big Chicken. They can/keg it and serve it in the same day at their 2 taprooms and accounts all over the county. So last night they started canning at the stroke of midnight and all of the beer is delivered today for consumption. They pride themselves on very fresh beer and a cold supply chain, more so than any other brewery I have seen.
BSD
AG
ISO: PtY bottle
FT: My soul
Chipotlemonger
AG
I'm gonna try to make it multiple days (weekdays) to see if I can't grab some bottles. Don't think I feel like trying on the weekend, but we'll see!
jah003
S
BSD said:

ISO: PtY bottle
FT: My soul
Ditto... you can have my soul and a kidney.
62strat
AG
HouseDivided06 said:

I'm a casual lurker as I drink more wine and bourbon although I love a good variety of beer. Recently has Boulevard 30th Anniversary Ale and thought it was fantastic. Would be curious anyone else's thoughts on it. Have only seen it on tap in Dallas.

I had it in bomber and on tap.. I thought it was fantastic. I love rich, complex blends like that.
HouseDivided06
AG
Where did you find it in a bomber? I don't think it has hit Dallas yet. Have checked Total Wine, Specs, Goody Goody, Whole Foods, and Central Market.
62strat
AG
This is in Denver area. If I remember, we drank it at our Xmas party, the weekend before xmas, and it seems I had it for a few weeks in the basement.

Comes in a big ol tube like glenfiddich.

I had it on tap 2 weekends ago (also in Denver)
HTownAg98
My wife booked a trip for us to Salem, Oregon this summer. It's primarily a wine trip, but if there are some breweries around Salem that are a can't miss, we may visit some. Chances are we won't be spending much time in Portland. Any recommendations?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Not in Salem, but kind of in between there and Portland is a place called Wolves & People Farmhouse Brewery. Have heard it is good. That's really all I got. Never visited Oregon before!
MW03
AG
Tupps DDH is still going strong. Their 18 varietal is a triple hopped double IPA and it's exceptional.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Cool beer from a brewery out of NJ. One of the thickest beers I've ever had, and you would think it might be too sweet, but this was amazingly balanced and tasty. Really neat label too.

First Page Last Page
Page 1482 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.