The Golf Club 2019

41,649 Views | 487 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by mazag08
Ervin Burrell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Ervin Burrell said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Just got the game last night and stayed up way too late playing it.

Joined the Xbox Texags society, but I doubt I'll compete for a while. Best round I shot was a 76 on Pebble. I can't get the putting down. I think I had 3 or more 4 putts. Seems like some times they go the right distance and sometimes it blows past by 20 feet.

Anyways, crazy fun game.
Putting is tricky at first, but becomes muscle memory after a while. What's an absolute b/tch, even after four months having the game, is pitching/chipping. Short chips are WAY too hard.
No ***** I can't get a read on the tempo needed for any shot below 100%.
I find it easier to simply change the loft of your club and still hit 100%, than to try to hit a "normal" shot at 75% (or whatever)...if that makes any sense. This isn't always feasible obviously - sometimes you have to chip it from just off the green and no matter how much loft you put on it you're going to have to take something off. Those are the shots that make me want to throw my controller across the room.
mazag08
AG
Ervin Burrell said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Ervin Burrell said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Joined the Xbox Texags society, but I doubt I'll compete for a while. Best round I shot was a 76 on Pebble. I can't get the putting down. I think I had 3 or more 4 putts. Seems like some times they go the right distance and sometimes it blows past by 20 feet.

Anyways, crazy fun game.
Putting is tricky at first, but becomes muscle memory after a while. What's an absolute b/tch, even after four months having the game, is pitching/chipping. Short chips are WAY too hard.
I find it easier to simply change the loft of your club and still hit 100%, than to try to hit a "normal" shot at 75% (or whatever)...if that makes any sense. This isn't always feasible obviously - sometimes you have to chip it from just off the green and no matter how much loft you put on it you're going to have to take something off. Those are the shots that make me want to throw my controller across the room.

Same here.

But I'm glad it's that way. It's the toughest thing to do in golf.. do attempt any shot at less than 100%. Pros can hit it far and straight, but they can also put 9/10 65% shots from 110 yards away within 10-15ft of the hole.
Ervin Burrell
AG
mazag08 said:

Ervin Burrell said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Ervin Burrell said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Anyways, crazy fun game.

Same here.

But I'm glad it's that way. It's the toughest thing to do in golf.. do attempt any shot at less than 100%. Pros can hit it far and straight, but they can also put 9/10 65% shots from 110 yards away within 10-15ft of the hole.
Agree with the 110 yard shot point...I like that I can't stick it to a foot every time. What infuriates me is a chip from just off the fringe going 30 feet past the hole (yes, that can happen to the pros but it's extremely rare).
investorAg83
AG
Ervin Burrell said:

mazag08 said:

Ervin Burrell said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Ervin Burrell said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Anyways, crazy fun game.

Same here.

Agree with the 110 yard shot point...I like that I can't stick it to a foot every time. What infuriates me is a chip from just off the fringe going 30 feet past the hole (yes, that can happen to the pros but it's extremely rare).

How are you going that far past the hole?? I rarely chip with anything lower lofted than the PW. And don't ever deloft the chip. If I do anything I add loft to it.
schwabbin
AG
Anybody still play this game? We still do semi weekly tournaments in the Xbox group: TexAgs
Feel free to join if interested. We've stuck to PGA and TGC tour courses for the most part. But if anybody has created any good local tracks we can try those out too. We played he campus course a couple months ago.
jonj101
I still play, but on PSN.

A few weeks ago someone created a version of Cypress Point, and I've been playing that a ton.
jws456
AG
I play in the Xbox group pretty regularly as ngYETI
mazag08
AG
I dropped off a bit on PS4 but would still be down to play if there was enough interest from our group.
jws456
AG
I don't know who the admin is for the Xbox group, or even how much control they have over it. But any thoughts to shortening the tournament times from 3-4 days down to just 2 days? Might help get a little more action with more regular check-ins. Idk, just thinking of ways to get more than 4 or 5 guys playing each tournament - ngYETI
schwabbin
AG
Xbox admin here. Season 2 on Xbox kicked off yesterday. I'm open to course recommendations as well. I've just been following the PGA tour and taking courses from the TGC tour list. Pretty sure YETI won about 70% of the events in season 1.
JarAG2007
AG
I get on TGC about once a week and check our group, but no one else adds tournaments. I made almost all the tournaments through the Masters week. Life gets in the way, so I gave out admin rights for other to do so as well.

I would be up for playing again weekly but i just cant create tournaments every week and keep up with that. Anyone else want to get the PS4 group going again and help with creating tourn?
mazag08
AG
JarAG2007 said:

I get on TGC about once a week and check our group, but no one else adds tournaments. I made almost all the tournaments through the Masters week. Life gets in the way, so I gave out admin rights for other to do so as well.

I would be up for playing again weekly but i just cant create tournaments every week and keep up with that. Anyone else want to get the PS4 group going again and help with creating tourn?
Give me a couple weeks and I'd be down to start it up again.
bodaciousbood14
AG
I'm still playing on the Xbox league though I'm usually trash.
jws456
AG
Xbox group doesn't have any events scheduled. How do we go about doing that?
BQ_2010
AG
Bump. Just got the game and joined the Xbox group. Do y'all still set up tourneys?

JarAG2007
AG
Based on the other thread going I am going to work this week on getting the PS4 group going again.

Hopefully I will have time today, if not it will be this weekend. I want to back date some of the tournaments from PGA, mainly because i like the Sentry course.

If everyone is cool with it, I will follow the tour schedule mostly. I will add as many as i can. Thanks.
mazag08
AG
Works for me. If you can find it, maybe work in the campus course that one the posters on here created. It's unrefined but the layout is accurate.
aggietony2010
AG
mazag08 said:

Works for me. If you can find it, maybe work in the campus course that one the posters on here created. It's unrefined but the layout is accurate.

Yeah...I got really into the automatic course creation from lidar, but then had to start studying for some certification exams and didn't have time to play, much less work on the courses anymore.
mazag08
AG
aggietony2010 said:

mazag08 said:

Yeah...I got really into the automatic course creation from lidar, but then had to start studying for some certification exams and didn't have time to play, much less work on the courses anymore.

And so now you can start again? Sweet!

Can you do traditions, pebble creek, and memorial?
aggietony2010
AG
mazag08 said:

aggietony2010 said:

mazag08 said:

And so now you can start again? Sweet!

Can you do traditions, pebble creek, and memorial?

The good news is I passed the exam I neglected video games and everything else for.

The bad news is I failed the next one and am studying for it again.

I think I had some work done on traditions. Maybe I could get it to a similar state as the campus course pretty easily. I don't even know what progress the guy who made the tool has made. It would take a couple hours just to get caught up on that.

Pebble Creek had no work done on it. I also never played it so I have no interest in it.

Memorial Park isn't happening, especially the renovated version. Any lidar scan they made of it is at least a few years old, and they moved a lot of dirt to renovate it.
JarAG2007
AG
I added some PS4 tourn last night (i messed up the first one but it will be okay for first week).

After the Waste Management i am going to use the TexAgs Beta course (A&M Course) for the next tournament. Are there any PS4 members not in our TexAgs society? If so let me know and we will get you added.

We can try and set up team or skin games on the side as well if the PS4 group wants to.
Cayo95
AG
I just joined the PS4 group. I'm pumped for the season, please let me know if I can do anything to help. My PS4 name is Taketheclaw
Leander - Ag
AG
Did anyone ever build traditions?
mazag08
AG
I finally got back into playing.

Also, I'm almost done with the general design of my completely from scratch tropical course. The goal is a course where par is a good score on every hole. I'm trying to get it done without the usual gimmicks and cheap obstacles a lot of people use.

For example.. a par 5 that legitimately requires 3 very well place shots just to get to the green.. but is not so hard that a day with 10mph wind makes it impossible.

I want every hole to have a risk/reward scenario. You can go for the pin, but you better have the right club and spin, or your ball won't stick and you'll be left with a tough birdie putt or a chip from the fringe. Doing that without making the greens stupid undulating is hard. I'm using quite a bit of terrain to accomplish this. There's also quite a few drives where you can pull out the driver, but you better be accurate, and you can't hit it 325.. after 300 you might roll into the water.

But there will also be a couple fairly short holes. Like a pitching wedge par 3.
mazag08
AG
Just finished my fantasy tropical course.

Is anyone interested in getting the league up and running again on PS4?

There's quite a few Texas courses that people have created.

Bluejack
Houston National
Golf Club of Houston
Memorial
Campus Course
Austin CC
Pecan Grove
Trails of Frisco
Pecan Hollow
Galveston Country Club
Colonial CC
Garden Valley
TPC Four Seasons
TPC San Antonio
Pleasure Island

And I'm sure there's more
txags11
AG
Is this still going on? I'm in a few societies but always looking for more. Addicted to the game
mazag08
AG
It made a tiny comeback but didn't catch on.

I just finally did Q school for TGC tours. Finished top 30. Top 12 with masters clubs. Waiting to see where I get placed.
txags11
AG
How do you sign up for that?
mazag08
AG
https://tgctours.com/Home/RulesPolicies
Leander - Ag
AG
mazag08 said:

Just finished my fantasy tropical course.

Is anyone interested in getting the league up and running again on PS4?

There's quite a few Texas courses that people have created.

Bluejack
Houston National
Golf Club of Houston
Memorial
Campus Course
Austin CC
Pecan Grove
Trails of Frisco
Pecan Hollow
Galveston Country Club
Colonial CC
Garden Valley
TPC Four Seasons
TPC San Antonio
Pleasure Island

And I'm sure there's more
Thanks for the list. We can keep adding to it.
schwabbin
AG
Just played Pecan Hollow. Pin placements 2,3,4 are brutal. But love being able to play a local muni on here.
mazag08
AG
Don't play pecan grove with very firm and very fast greens. I don't know if they got the LiDAR screwed up, but the greens are ridiculously over undulated. There are literally impossible shots of the conditions aren't set right. But the course layout is accurate.
schwabbin
AG
Stevens Park Beta was decent until I got to hole 7 and the green was sloped like 20 degrees
mazag08
AG
schwabbin said:

Stevens Park Beta was decent until I got to hole 7 and the green was sloped like 20 degrees
Yeah. You really have to double check each hole before you submit a new course. LIDAR can be off and can absolutely ruin a good creation.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.